• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So finally the #MeToo hypocrisy is in full swing

Takuan

The policy affects all women but it doesn’t assume that all of them are out to get you, which is what you said. It assumes that some of them are, but you don’t know which ones, and so the policy is applied to all. It’s similar to insurance companies charging male drivers more.

Citation needed for the bolded. In fact, based on the statistics that have been posted in this thread, I would believe the opposite to be true.
Eh, we're arguing semantics here. I think we both acknowledge and agree that all women are directly affected. To me, that's the same thing thing.

In regards the latter, I could link to a stat but I think your mind is made up. We all have our biases, and ultimately choose what we want to believe. Fair enough!

Raven117

Sounds like a lot of these guys still work with women but are just avoiding any chance of being in a position where their intentions could be called to judgement.

I mean this is how we get rid of sexual harassment and misconduct. Probably not what they had hoped for but I mean it most likely is working.

Men are extra careful these days trying to respect women, especially in the work place, wasn't that the goal?
This is exactly right, and not childish at all. That article is so staggeringly uninsightful that it is hard to even respond to. She didn't have one iota of self-reflection on what the metoo movement did, and how that affects things.

Men do not want any ambiguity in their behavior towards women and never in a position where there is a he said she said an no room for interpretation.

Takuan

This is exactly right, and not childish at all. That article is so staggeringly uninsightful that it is hard to even respond to. She didn't have one iota of self-reflection on what the metoo movement did, and how that affects things.

Men do not want any ambiguity in their behavior towards women and never in a position where there is a he said she said an no room for interpretation.
It's propaganda, at this point. It's very easy to tell the politics of all major media outlets, and I feel we were better-served when these leanings weren't as blatantly obvious. I generally swing left, but I really don't see how articles like these help matters; all they do is reinforce existing beliefs.

It just doesn't seem healthy.

Raven117

It's propaganda, at this point. It's very easy to tell the politics of all major media outlets, and I feel we were better-served when these leanings weren't as blatantly obvious. I generally swing left, but I really don't see how articles like these help matters; all they do is reinforce existing beliefs.

It just doesn't seem healthy.
Well said. MeToo is an important movement and it has been a long time coming. But we are now at the point where relationships between men and women (and traditional roles) need deep and insightful analysis not this kind of stuff that sounds more like a temper tantrum rather than a real effort to try and recast relationships with scholarship between men and women in the work place.

Papa

Banned
Well said. MeToo is an important movement and it has been a long time coming. But we are now at the point where relationships between men and women (and traditional roles) need deep and insightful analysis not this kind of stuff that sounds more like a temper tantrum rather than a real effort to try and recast relationships with scholarship between men and women in the work place.

Is it? Or has it always been a way for aggrieved women to bypass the long and arduous legal process?

Raven117

Is it? Or has it always been a way for aggrieved women to bypass the long and arduous legal process?
No because legal is a different analysis than culture. It’s the cultural shift that has far more implications than just some headliners who behaved improperly.

Papa

Banned
No because legal is a different analysis than culture. It’s the cultural shift that has far more implications than just some headliners who behaved improperly.

So we’re just back to the court of law vs court of public opinion argument.

Papa

Banned
No. We are talking about the shifts happening in the businesses and related HR departments, not one individual. With one individual, then you have a point.

But my point is that the shifts are based on false pretenses, namely that the court of public opinion should hold more weight than an actual court of law.

Raven117

But my point is that the shifts are based on false pretenses, namely that the court of public opinion should hold more weight than an actual court of law.
Well, they really aren’t. Sexual harassment is still (though great strides have been made) an issue in most companies. A re-evaluation and re-calibration of that is indeed for the better. However, there were unintended consequences of this. And that also needs to be discussed.

With respect to law (and believe me when I say law is very important to me). Most cultural changes do happen outside of a courtroom. Again, with respect to individual cases, I share your concern with circumventing the law. However, these are two different issues.

Top Bottom