• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So how does VP2 compare to VP1?

ManaByte

Gold Member
So I was playing VP1 on the PSP today and I forgot how great the game is.

Does the sequel live up to it despite it being in 3D?

I love the sprites of the original.

What about the music? Battle system?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ManaByte said:
So I was playing VP1 on the PSP today and I forgot how great the game is.

Does the sequel live up to it despite it being in 3D?

I love the sprites of the original.

What about the music? Battle system?

So uh, yeah. Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria rocks and it deservers to be the sequel of one of the greatest games for the Playstation. The music is made by Motoi Sakuraba so it's still great and the battle system is even far superior than the original VP. Let's not forget that VP2 might as well be one of the best looking game for the PS2. About the battles:

vp2-11.jpg

See the enemy over there? Even though it might look all realtime, it isn't. The enemy won't move until you do a command, so basically, it's slowpaced like the original game. You have a yellow circle around and while you run around in the battle, it'll follow you. When the enemy get inside the "target-range", you'll be able to attack it. The same thing goes for the monster.

That's like the basic thing I can give you, at 4:50 AM.

It's a great game.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
What Seiken said, plus:

The endgame story in VP2 didn't satisfy some fans; your milage may vary depending on what you expect out of a continuation of VP1. Otherwise, VP2 is pure gold IMHO. It's my favorite RPG on PS2, until FF12's US release at least.

Also, it can't be said enough just how plain cool the battle system is. There's a lot to it and it's my favorite system of ANY RPG in this generation, and possibly, of all time.

MoxManiac

It's probably the best RPG i've played this gen, though DDS1+2 is definitely in contention. I still think VP1 is better though, even if only marginally.

Finaika

Kaijima said:
Also, it can't be said enough just how plain cool the battle system is. There's a lot to it and it's my favorite system of ANY RPG in this generation, and possibly, of all time.
What? Better than the almighty Grandia?

VP2 is easier than the original, the einherijar have next to no backstory which stinks for me. The battle system is interesting, though somewhat flawed (dashing = you win) -- while at the same time adding some sort of puzzle aspect to fighting (go for the commander, dash around to avoid enemies cones of visions until you get behind the commander -- you have a limited # of dashes before you ahve to recharge by moving around, which will then free the enemies to move toward you). The battles in the original dealt more with setting up the right moves and weapons for your characters to pull off some sick combos in order to use your special attacks. While this one relies on it as well, it just doesn't feel quite as tight and the momentum of battle is broken a bit as you try to avoid having the enemy get you in thei sites. (thats where the easier comes in, not getting hit in battle is a bit too easy).

There's no timer so you can go where you please which is really nice. All in all it's a good sequel, though it could have been better. I wish the game focused on the characters stories more like the original did, but aside from that it's a good game surely.

IMO it's not one of the best battle systems ever, Star Ocean, Tales of... and Grandia hold those crowns.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Blackbeard said:
The battle system is interesting, though somewhat flawed (dashing = you win) -- while at the same time adding some sort of puzzle aspect to fighting (go for the commander, dash around to avoid enemies cones of visions until you get behind the commander -- you have a limited # of dashes before you ahve to recharge by moving around, which will then free the enemies to move toward you). The battles in the original dealt more with setting up the right moves and weapons for your characters to pull off some sick combos in order to use your special attacks. While this one relies on it as well, it just doesn't feel quite as tight and the momentum of battle is broken a bit as you try to avoid having the enemy get you in thei sites. (thats where the easier comes in, not getting hit in battle is a bit too easy).
Sounds like you level grind or fight every single enemy you come across. The battle system is infinitely more fun if you don't.

Avalon

The game starts of incredibly strong. Great music, great cast of characters, intriguing story and some of the best gameplay around. It actually keeps getting better and better for most of the game.

However, the last bits of the story almost ruined the entire experience for me. At that point, the game throws it’s own story out the window, destroys continuity and potential story from the first game and discards all of it’s Norse mythology roots in exchange for generic anime garbage.

Ultimately, the game is not better then the original.

Finaika

Avalon said:
The game starts of incredibly strong. Great music, great cast of characters, intriguing story and some of the best gameplay around. It actually keeps getting better and better for most of the game.

However, the last bits of the story almost ruined the entire experience for me. At that point, the game throws it’s own story out the window, destroys continuity and potential story from the first game and discards all of it’s Norse mythology roots in exchange for generic anime garbage.

Oh noes, sounds just like Star Ocean Till the End of Time's problem O_O

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
It's a little shallow in the plot/characterization department... I'm on the last dungeon of Chapter 3 but I hear it gets better. But the game is a lot of fun, has some beautfiul graphics, nice music, and strategic/FUN combat... definitely a worthy follow-up. Not sure if I can say its better than VP1 yet, I will need to beat the game first and then think about it for a little while. I'd say it ranks up there with DQ8 as the best RPG of this generation.

Avalon

Finaika said:
Oh noes, sounds just like Star Ocean Till the End of Time's problem O_O

Honestly... I'm not kidding when I say this. You can actually taste Star Ocean 3 at a certain point.

It's a little shallow in the plot/characterization department

The game has a lot of subtleties during chapter 3. You need to pay more attention. :)

Duderz

Banned
Not as good as the original, but Avalon's overexaggerating about the story. It's got problems, but not to the magnitude he's describing, IMO.

But, then again, we've had some discussions on the official thread, and I think I'm the only one in there that wasn't horrified by the story, so, I guess, take this with a grain of salt.

That said, I'd still highly recommend it - the gameplay is just phenomenal.

EDIT: Oh, and the music definitely takes a different direction than the first - not so much rock, more symphonic. Better than the first, IMO.

MoxManiac

I'd say SO3 is actually tamer in this respect, since it doesn't damage it's predessor. Then again, I didn't think it was too bad.

Avalon

Duderz said:
Not as good as the original, but Avalon's overexaggerating about the story. It's got problems, but not to the magnitude he's describing, IMO.

That said, I'd still highly recommend it - the gameplay is just phenomenal.

I don't think I am. :)

Yup, the game is still fantastic despite it's ending.

Duderz

Banned
Avalon said:
I don't think I am. :)

Yup, the game is still fantastic despite it's ending.

Of course you don't! :D

Still, Mana, if you're looking for a fun RPG, you really should give this a shot, particularly if you liked the first. It's my GOTY thus far, I loved it from beginning to...almost the end. :lol

Shouta

Just as good, if not better than VP1 in most respects.

I still don't understand what the bitching about the ending is all about. I don't see how it destroys continuity or anything unless they radically changed something from the JP version of the game.

Duderz

Banned
Shouta said:

I still don't understand what the bitching about the ending is all about. I don't see how it destroys continuity or anything unless they radically changed something from the JP version of the game.

I thought you didn't like the end stuff either?

Finally, someone who's on my side? :lol

MoxManiac

Shouta said:

Well generally the events in VP2 lead to the events of VP1 not happening. Though I think duderz and avalon don't seem to understand the idea that both VP1 and VP2's timelines can exist. Then again that's understandable since it's pretty confusing to include concepts from quantum mechanics into a game based on norse mythology, but hey, that's jrpgs for you :lol

Hitokage said:
Sounds like you level grind or fight every single enemy you come across. The battle system is infinitely more fun if you don't.

I don't understand how you would think that from what I typed, I fight enemies when they get in my way, and I kill the commander only if at all possible (since that ends the fight quicker, and keeps me from having to be bored to death killing everything without getting hit much). How would the battle system be infinitely more fun if you don't fight the enmeis you come across? I don't understand that logic at all. Can only have fun if you fight :p.

To put it into a bit of perspective Star OCean 3's battle system was loads of fun, I Looked forward to fighting and did actively search out multiple enemies and "grind", but not because I wanted ot grind, just because I wanted ot fight more. This game, I'd rather avoid all unnecessary fighting, so I kill the commanders quickly and move along.

Avalon

Hm...?

Tell me exactly how it doesn’t.
Without using “alternate dimension” if that’s even possible.

MoxManiac said:
Well generally the events in VP2 lead to the events of VP1 not happening. Though I think duderz and avalon don't seem to understand the idea that both VP1 and VP2's timelines can exist. Then again that's understandable since it's pretty confusing to include concepts from quantum mechanics into a game based on norse mythology, but hey, that's jrpgs for you :lol

I understand that. I just don't understand why they choose to do that without
without addressing all of the questions from VP1

Shouta

Duderz said:
I thought you didn't like the end stuff either?

Finally, someone who's on my side? :lol

I didn't like the end mainly because the premise was kind of dumb.
Time-traveling power-mongering? pffft.
It's still exciting though and extremely well done other than the
ZOMG, VALKYRIE FUSION
spiel. I wish they could've done a more expansive plot but eh, that wouldn't work really well.

Avalon said:
Hm...?

Tell me exactly how it doesn’t.
Without using “alternate dimension” if that’s even possible.

I understand that. I just don't understand why they choose to do that without
without addressing all of the questions from VP1

There isn't any other explanation. If you try to explain it as
a single timeline, it just won't work. Odin is gone in the VP2 timeline would cause the events of VP1 to erase and then erasing Lenneth from VP1 in the storyline. You HAVE to look at it from multiple timeline angle otherwise it won't make any sense.

And what questions from VP1? Other than
Lezard's motivations, which is never really answered, there isn't anything off the top of my head that VP2 doesn't explain for VP1.

MoxManiac

Shouta said:
I didn't like the end mainly because the premise was kind of dumb.
Time-traveling power-mongering? pffft.
It's still exciting though and extremely well done other than the
ZOMG, VALKYRIE FUSION
spiel. I wish they could've done a more expansive plot but eh, that wouldn't work really well.

There isn't any other explanation. If you try to explain it as
a single timeline, it just won't work. Odin is gone in the VP2 timeline would cause the events of VP1 to erase and then erasing Lenneth from VP1 in the storyline. You HAVE to look at it from multiple timeline angle otherwise it won't make any sense.

Lezard's motivations, which is never really answered, there isn't anything off the top of my head that VP2 doesn't explain for VP1.

Did they explain who Brahms was other than he used to be an einharjar(?) I know he fused with dylan's soul at one point but -how- did he become the lord of undead? That I still think is unanswered?

White Man

I think it's better than the original. It's worth noting, however, that your feelings will probably differ depending on which parts of the first game you personally valued.

Me, I hated the Einherjar stories. They were slow, boring, and sometimes questionably localized. I "got" what they were going for, trying to make them conflicted characters and somewhat tragic figures, but it didn't do anything for me, really. VP2 thankfully (for me) gets rid of the Einherjar stories. I'm all Fonzie with that. The game feels less burdened by cutscenes because of this.

Speaking of being less burdened by cut scenes, the game starts up a lot quicker than the first game.

The game gets rid of the time limit that's present in the first game. This is good. That in mind, the game takes advantage of not having a time limit and is pretty grindy. The battle system is a load of fun once you learn how you do things, so the frindiness is no burden.

I disliked the game at first because I feel like the game does share one of the original's flaws: crappy tutorials. It took me about half the first chapter to figure out how to do combat properly. The tutorial ingame does a good job of telling you what each nutton does, but it doesn't give you a very good idea of how to put things together.

I give the game 2 dongs up.

Shouta

MoxManiac said:
Did they explain who Brahms was other than he used to be an einharjar(?) I know he fused with dylan's soul at one point but -how- did he become the lord of undead? That I still think is unanswered?

I don't think it's ever addressed. That's not really a lingering question though if you ask me. :lol

Avalon

Shouta said:

Some major stuff from VP1 that I wanted addressed.

Why exactly did Brahms hold Lenneth in such a high regard? When you confront him in VP1, he makes it pretty clear that they share an extensive history and that he feels that Lenneth is the one that will be able to end his existence. There is also Brahms ending speech at the end of the game. Exactly, how does Silmeria fit in the hole “half of creation?”

How exactly did Midgar survive for so long without the Dragon Orb in Lenneth’s timeline? This is never addressed though, I suppose you could infer that Brahms used Silmeria as it’s power source, much like Odin planned to do with captured Brahms. I guess that would also explain why Brahms didn’t simply transfer Silmeria back into Alicia in Lenneth’s timeline.

Lezard's motives should of been explained more as well. He wasn't much of an antagonist in the first game, so his vague motives weren't really all that much of a problem. But considering what happened in VP2, I feel his character should of been explained more and the origin of his obsession should of been revealed.

The hole Lady Beliza thing looked like it might lead somewhere as well...

VP2 opens up it's own set of unanswered questions as well.

Like Mox pointed out, who exactly was Brahms? Was he the king that was forced to become einherjar? How exactly did he become the lord of the undead?

Alicia is a big mystery by the end as well. It’s never really explained why she was still able to wield Valkyrie powers without Silmeria’s consciousness at the end

Freya knowing about Lenneth the Creators existence isn’t explained.

Just to point out a few...

I just can't fathom why they choose to take the story down that route.
I understand that the games no longer share the same timeline, VP3 is going to be a mess to piece together. :D

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I don't understand how you would think that from what I typed, I fight enemies when they get in my way, and I kill the commander only if at all possible (since that ends the fight quicker, and keeps me from having to be bored to death killing everything without getting hit much). How would the battle system be infinitely more fun if you don't fight the enmeis you come across? I don't understand that logic at all. Can only have fun if you fight :p.
It's really ****ing basic and applies for almost every RPG. Winning many many battles = experience = lowered battle difficulty. Try winning a battle where simply charging the leader gets you slaughtered, and you'll have fun pulling every tactical trick you can to survive. :D

This game, I'd rather avoid all unnecessary fighting, so I kill the commanders quickly and move along.
You can always photon-shoot bad guys so you don't have to have ANY unnecessary fighting. :p

Duderz said:
EDIT: Oh, and the music definitely takes a different direction than the first - not so much rock, more symphonic. Better than the first, IMO.
A lot of it is personal preference. I personally like the VP1 soundtrack and its style much more overall, but both are quite good.

Avalon said:

I totally agree.

Story and characterization-wise, the game is a complete mess, as the overall scenario tries too hard to connect the plot and time-line of the two games.

Alicia is an absurdly weak and cliched anime protagonist, and the fact that all the returning characters from VP1 are pale imitations of their future (VP1) selves, combined with the lack of any new characters substantially relevant to the plotline, makes for an ultimately tedious and substandard adventure.

Also, with the focus off the melodramatic and somewhat maudlin einherjar backstories, the game leans into a pointedly vapid romantic comedy rut careof Rufus and Alicia. The cutscenes and motion capture acting are of a crappy quality typical of sentai serials as well.

The graphics and music are really good however.

Get Tales of the Abyss instead. It says a lot when Valkyrie Profile 2 is completely routed by a Tales of game with regard to characterization and plot (although I'll concede that Tales of the Abyss is something of an exception to the usual Tales tales).

Top Bottom