• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I have to play through Nier Automata 5 times to fully experience the game? [Nope]

Timeaisis

Hell, it's not even the opinion that frustrates me but more of the framing of the thread.

Had it been something like "LTTP: Nier Automata -- It's shit" or "Nier Automatas ending system is borked" then okay, let's see what we got here and let's talk.

But the way it goes about is "Hey guys, I have question" and immediately "Doesn't matter. I don't care. Fuck that noise."

Like a bait and switch kind of deal. Yeah, I feel ya.

It's a hot take thread.

More like he was seeking some kind of confirmation for his rant, considering that 15 minutes after opening the thread he says he's already youtubing the game.

I guess so. And he got it. There are plenty of people in this very thread that agree. Maybe making the thread wasn't a super great idea, but here we are, talking about Nier Automata's weird structure.

I don't feel you've actually beaten the game until C or D.

I believe the argument here is that you aren't on your second playthrough until you actually finish routes A-E and start over. Finishing route A does not complete a playthrough of Nier Automata.

That's like saying you're on your second playthrough of FF6 when you get to the World of Ruin.

Ah, I see. Yeah that's pretty much it.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
The point of forums is certainly not to rant about factually incorrect assumptions.

Furhtermore, OP is ranting about the idea of having to replay through a game, a game he apparently doesn't like.

Of course the idea of replaying through a game you didn't enjoy is going to be unfun and boring, what would there be to talk about
They didn't know it was incorrect, something that a lot of people still don't understand, you even said so yourself.

Since when can threads not be about your displeasure with a game?

Like, I don't get your annoyance with OP at all.

And appetantly there's plenty to discus since we're already on page two.

Zakalwe

Banned
I believe the argument here is that you aren't on your second playthrough until you actually finish routes A-E and start over. Finishing route A does not complete a playthrough of Nier Automata.

That's like saying you're on your second playthrough of FF6 when you get to the World of Ruin.

Exactly this.

Four, actually, and nah.

It's just a bunch of people pointing out how wrong OP is while he sighs, ignores us, and watches the endings on YouTube, completely invalidating the spirit of the game and the story it wants to tell.

nOoblet16

They didn't know it was incorrect, something that a lot of people still don't understand, you even said so yourself.

Like, I don't get your annoyance with OP at all.

An OT exists for this very reason.

You don't make a new topic just to ask a question about a game that came out 1-2 months ago when it has an active OT and a spoiler thread as well. Especially not if you just want to rant about something factually incorrect that would've been pointed out within minutes in the OT.

If people made a new thread everytime they had an opinion, rant or whatever instead of using the OT for a game as new as Nier the forum would get flooded with shit.

I hate when games don't respect my time

I'm sorry, but we are playing video games and worry about our time? I... I...don't understand...(?) Unless the goal is to play as many games as possible instead of actually experiencing them, I mean.

One would think that everything you don't enjoy is a waste of time, while everything you enjoy is not. I can't see how the amount of content in a game equals "a lack of respect for the players time".

Would love to have this explained to me, as it seems I am not able to understand why this has become a "thing".

An OT exists for this very reason.

You don't make a new topic just to ask a question about a game that came out 1-2 months ago when it has an active OT and a spoiler thread as well. Especially not if you just want to rant about something factually incorrect that would've been pointed out within minutes in the OT.

It wouldn't have even taken minutes, it's in the OT OP FAQ.

Anne

i know route b can be a bit of a slog, but i never felt like nier:a didn't respect my time.

Try getting 100% enemy data. I'm being a bit snarky since you don't need it to get all the quests and trophies, but that spawn system is the definition of time waster.

I feel Route B in no way was disrespecting my time.

Einchy

Four, actually, and nah.

It's just a bunch of people pointing out how wrong OP is while he sighs, ignores us, and watches the endings on YouTube, completely invalidating the spirit of the game and the story it wants to tell.
OP explained why they don't want to do another playthrough even though they now know they were wrong.

I fucking looooove Nier but you can't force people to replay some sections of a game they already don't enjoy, and invalidating the spirit of the game means nothing if you don't like it.

Some people just don't like Nier and it's totally fine.

You can even skip the few identifcal scenes that overlap in subsequent routes.

I wish you had at least finished Route B to see how it worked before passing judgment.

big fake

Come on, this is where NieR Automata really shines. Part B is story important and Part C is completely other game. It's ridiculous when a game gives you new content and a new POV and all people can think about how cumbersome it is.

Squishy3

I thought route A was bad too and Nier Automata is probably in my top 3 three for this year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Nier Automata's first go about is nowhere near as good as the first game's.

Hektor

Then you could inform yourself or ask other people before ranting and complaing how we all should'nt be okay with this.

I never said this, stop putting words into my mouth. This thread isn't about OP's displeasure with the game.

Qblivion

"The credits rolled after the first episode! I can't believe I have to watch this show 13 times to get the whole story!"

In the 35 or so hours it took me to finish this game maybe 4 or 5 hours of it was repeating content I already saw. Why? Because video games are a unique medium where only this kind of story can be told. If you're too much a baby to have to "waste" a few hours on a small portion of the game you don't deserve nier.

Crayon

I do feel that one could be satisfied stopping at c. You don't see everything by then, but it could leave a major impression by that point.

Jintor

Try getting 100% enemy data. I'm being a bit snarky since you don't need it to get all the quests and trophies, but that spawn system is the definition of time waster.

I feel Route B in no way was disrespecting my time.

well, i don't 100% games either, so in that respect lol

OP explained why they don't want to do another playthrough even though they now know they were wrong.

I fucking looooove Nier but you can't force people to replay some sections of a game they already don't enjoy, and invalidating the spirit of the game means nothing if you don't like it.

Some people just don't like Nier and it's totally fine.

The OP is clearly written to be catty. It got catty responses. There's no need to run defense for the OP.

Griss

You play the same game twice, then you get new stuff. This is a Yoko taro staple.

This is actually something he always does? That sounds like the stupidest game design decision I've ever heard.

I won't lie, I had heard about the game requiring multiple playthroughs and that was the one thing that kept me from buying it. Just don't have the time to waste repeating shit or grinding these days.

You would HATE VLR

More like hate 999, where this exact issue ruined the game for me. VLR lets you skip around, it's not a problem.

"The credits rolled after the first episode! I can't believe I have to watch this show 13 times to get the whole story!"

In the 35 or so hours it took me to finish this game maybe 4 or 5 hours of it was repeating content I already saw. Why? Because video games are a unique medium where only this kind of story can be told. If you're too much a baby to have to "waste" a few hours on a small portion of the game you don't deserve nier.

Ding ding ding!!

We have a winner.

Crayon

"Respect my time" is to be read as "I don't like playing it". That's the only way that sentiment makes sense.

I don't feel you've actually beaten the game until C or D.
Those are the two endings so you're correct in that feeling.

A and B aren't endings, they're just arbitrary points where they roll the credits in the middle of the game, then there's the after credits "true ending." People should really stop calling them endings and playthroughs because it just confuses people.

KLoWn

And with all the praise the game got, especially here on GAF, I'm thinking that we are ok with developers hiding the real story behind multiple playthroughs?

Please tell me we are not.
The only thing I'm not ok with in here is misinformed lazy people like you making horrible threads.

Zafir

If you didn't enjoy it through the first time, another playthrough probably won't change much. The story hits its stride on the third path, but if you aren't interested in the story or gameplay before that is it worth trudging through the other paths in hope that the story will change your mind? I'm not sure.

That said, I still think it's a bit silly how they're called endings. Unlike most games, there's quite a bit which is different across the different paths, especially C which is entirely different.

Hektor

"Respect my time" is to be read as "I don't like playing it". That's the only way that sentiment makes sense.

As usual, a game only "doesn't respect your time" if you don't enjoy it (or certain parts of it).

Something like a videogame respecting or disrespecting time literally doesn't exist, they all waste time the same way. Wether that time is wasted purposefully or not solely depends on your enjoyment gained out of it.

I do feel that one could be satisfied stopping at c. You don't see everything by then, but it could leave a major impression by that point.

Yeah, but at that point you may as well go for D and E. It would take you around an hour after getting C. And both those endings are great

This is actually something he always does? That sounds like the stupidest game design decision I've ever heard.

I won't lie, I had heard about the game requiring multiple playthroughs and that was the one thing that kept me from buying it. Just don't have the time to waste repeating shit or grinding these days.

It's a lot less about the grinding - the game is actually pretty accomplishable without grinding - nor about the repetition of the same story through another character's shoes, it's a whole lot more about learning that Route A's play through is a sub-plot to a story that archs over A-E. That LotR comparison is quite apt to a degree, imagine the scenario where you read only Aragorn's path from Two Towers only. Not really reading The Fellowship in its entirety, not reading Frodo's story, nor even the chapters about Merry and Pippin. Then ignoring Return of the King. That's Route A - not insane length, but in the overall context of this story, you are leaving it woefully incomplete.

Jintor

That said, I still think it's a bit silly how they're called endings. Unlike most games, there's quite a bit which is different across the different paths, especially C which is entirely different.

well c's impact is really heightened by not knowing it's a completely different path, but if you don't know only megafans play to get ending c. So it's a bit of a catch-22.

Timeaisis

It basically just means they have become bored and feel like they will continue to be bored if they kept playing. It's a stupid phrase.

Einchy

Then you could inform yourself or ask other people before ranting and complaing how we all should'nt be okay with this.

I never said this, stop putting words into my mouth. This thread isn't about OP's displeasure with the game.

With all due resopect, but i'm not annoyed at Op, i'm annoyed at you and your play of being intentionally obtuse

They did inform themselves but misunderstood said information. Hence why people corrected them.

You said
"Fhtermore, OP is ranting about the idea of having to replay through a game, a game he apparently doesn't like."

Why's that an issue? Threads don't always gotta be about what you liked, so I don't see how I'm putting words in your mouth.

Well, if that's how you feel, then there's no point in continuing this discussion.

Geg

I too stop playing games when I'm 1/3 of the way through and wonder why the game wants me to keep playing

Hektor

You said
"Fhtermore, OP is ranting about the idea of having to replay through a game, a game he apparently doesn't like."

Why's that an issue? Threads don't always gotta be about what you liked, so I don't see how I'm putting words in your mouth.

It's """an issue""" because it common sense to a point not worthy at all talking about? Are you being intentionally dense? If you didn't enjoyed playing through a game once, you're not going to enjoy playing through the game a second time. The sky is blue and the sun is hot.

And again, this thread isn't about how OP disliked the game, which i wouldn't have an issue with, stop freakin making it about that. It's a reactionary rant about something completely ill informed nothing more, nothing less.

Crayon

It basically just means they have become bored and feel like they will continue to be bored if they kept playing. It's a stupid phrase.

Agreed. It's fine to not like a game or grow tired of it before it's done. "Respect my time" is a way-up-my-own-ass way to say it tho.

croten

I too stop playing games when I'm 1/3 of the way through and wonder why the game wants me to keep playing

I'll be honest, I did that with Drakengard but I didn't think that I had finished it at the time, I just hated playing it to the point of tears.

Crayon

Op, you don't deserve Nier and are to depart with or dispose of the game immediately. Do you understand?

tuxfool

Banned
OP listened and OP didn't care because they didn't like Nier all that much anyway, have very limited time to play games and has a huge backlog.

You can't force people to play Nier.

If he didn't care then what is the big deal? I've stopped playing games in the middle of them because I didn't care about them.

The difference is that I didn't throw a strop over this fact.

Griss

It's a lot less about the grinding - the game is actually pretty accomplishable without grinding - nor about the repetition of the same story through another character's shoes, it's a whole lot more about learning that Route A's play through is a sub-plot to a story that archs over A-E. That LotR comparison is quite apt to a degree, imagine the scenario where you read only Aragorn's path from Two Towers only. Not really reading The Fellowship in its entirety, not reading Frodo's story, nor even the chapters about Merry and Pippin. Then ignoring Return of the King. That's Route A - not insane length, but in the overall context of this story, you are leaving it woefully incomplete.

Okay, that's some decent context then. I was under the impression that you had to play the whole thing for about 15 hours twice and then multiple other times, and all you got was a bit more prologue or epilogue. You make it sound like it's a lot more substantial than that, and you also seem to give at least a bit of a reason for the second playthrough.

Still not a fan of making you play the same content twice. Going 5-10 hours without seeing new content in a new game sounds horrible to me.

Hektor

Okay, that's some decent context then. I was under the impression that you had to play the whole thing for about 15 hours twice and then multiple other times, and all you got was a bit more prologue or epilogue. You make it sound like it's a lot more substantial than that, and you also seem to give at least a bit of a reason for the second playthrough.

Still not a fan of making you play the same content twice. Going 5-10 hours without seeing new content in a new game sounds horrible to me.

But you do see new content in the second route already. It's roughly a split of 60% old and 40% new stuff. The entire tutorial section for example is an entirely different segment. You also get to play an entirely different character with a new gameplay elements as well as new sidequests

Y'all can stop summoning me.

I have read the posts, I have learned that you only have to replay the game once. I have already said that's not as shitty as I thought it was, but it's still shitty.

You said I'm not experiencing the whole game if I don't beat Ending C, well, that's the whole point of this thread!

The final content (or extra content, whatever you wanna call it) is still LOCKED behind a second play through. I have played the second campaign for about 2-3 hours and it's boring. Get over it. Most people here have agreed with me, and that was a bad design choice too. That's coming from fans of the game.

Yes, I said I didn't like the game that much, but I didn't say I hate it. I would love to play Ending C, especially because the character looks really interesting and I'm down for another 15 hours or whatever of Nier Automata, but not if I have to invest another 15 hours replaying through the first campaign.

And I was gone because I was eating!

I have read the posts, I have learned that you only have to replay the game once. I have already said that's not as shitty as I thought it was, but it's still shitty.

You said I'm not experiencing the whole game if I don't beat Ending C, well, that's the whole point of this thread!

The final content (or extra content, whatever you wanna call it) is still LOCKED behind a second play through. I have played the second campaign for about 2-3 hours and it's boring. Get over it. Most people here have agreed with me, and that was a bad design choice too. That's coming from fans of the game.

Yes, I said I didn't like the game that much, but I didn't say I hate it. I would love to play Ending C, especially because the character looks really interesting and I'm down for another 15 hours or whatever of Nier Automata, but not if I have to invest another 15 hours replaying through the first campaign.

Route B is like 5 hours long if you just go through it and not do any of its new sidequests. It's also like 30% new content.

Also Route B is good

Hektor

Route B is still not just simply replaying the game. If you started it, and apparently you did, you should know that already, going by the tutorial section alone.

You can rush through the entire Route B in 5-8 Hours if you will, and at least 3 of those will be entirerly new stuff.

Top Bottom