• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I just remote played into some random person's PS4 using my PSN account.

bombshell

It defaults into the primary PS4 associated with your PSN account. Do you have your PS4 set as primary? Check it in the PS4 settings.

Try to communicate with them. Perhaps they got your account details just so they could be friends.

Definitely seems very plausible that they simply have had access to your account for awhile and just didn't want to do anything to let you know.

Kibbles

Is there a way to completely destroy your PSN? Just wondering because I was gonna be selling my PS4 soon anyway and I don't want this happening to me :S

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be concerned that someone compromised can go the other way - remote play your shit, buy things, delete games, and more with your ps4. Hmmm

So wait...Some guy has been playing on your PS4 all this time? Not buying anything...just playing whatever games you managed to have? Did you not notice? Like characters leveling up and stuff

So. Someone deactivated all my PS4/PSP/Vita units and just activated their PS4. The only way I can deactivate their PS4 is from the PS4 itself.

Probably going to have to contact Sony about this if I can't get back on their unit.

Have you tried to remote-play their console again and deactivate it(edit: cancel the "primary") from there? Also write down the guy's IP address.

It defaults into the primary PS4 associated with your PSN account. Do you have your PS4 set as primary? Check it in the PS4 settings.

It was set as primary earlier this week. Someone has now set their PS4 as the primary for my PSN account.

Have you tried to remote-play their console again and deactivate it from there? Also write down the guy's IP address.

Will not let me connect. I have no way of deactivating their PS4 at the moment.

MUnited83

For you.
Yup. Just went to check my PS4 and it is telling me another PS4 has been activated as primary.

Fuck. Can someone give me quick information on deactivating the other PS4?
Go here and login https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/login.action?request_locale=pt_PT

Not at home so I can't give detailed instructions, but you should be able to find there a list of all your activated devices, and you will have a option to deactivate them all(you can activate them again immediately after by signing in on the console)

shoplifter

The fact that Sony still hasn't given us 2-factor is appalling.

I just went in to double check my account to be safe.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Yup. Just went to check my PS4 and it is telling me another PS4 has been activated as primary.

Fuck. Can someone give me quick information on deactivating the other PS4?

Keep us posted on how it goes.. this is a rather large vulnerability...

harpingon

Neo Member
Only one primary PS4 (well, only one PS4 on my account at all) but generated a new password anyway. Online accounts suck.

MUnited83

For you.
So wait...Some guy has been playing on your PS4 all this time? Not buying anything...just playing whatever games you managed to have? Did you not notice? Like characters leveling up and stuff
No, the other guy had the OP's account on other PS4 entirely.

Berordn

Not sure how this fits but here goes.

When I went on a few months vacation, I didn't want my brother using my PS4 because reasons.

I decided to remote play and saw him playing on my console, so I did what every sane man would do: I changed my password and deactivated my console on PSN's once every 6 months deactivation.

A few weeks later, I decided to check again. Lo and behold, he is still playing. How is this possible? Maybe because my account is primary on that console? That still shouldn't happen if I deactivated it and change passwords. It seriously cheesed me that this happened.

This happened to me, Sony will tell you that the fix is to change your password.

This will do nothing and it will infuriate you for weeks until they do something to trigger a PSN login screen (such as trying to check out from the store). I have no trouble saying it, PSN is a garbage account system.

Demoskinos

If you have an account that is set to primary you can use whatever content that is associated with that account while logged into other accounts. My guess is guy got ahold of his credentials queued up a bunch of games to download and then has been playing them all on his PSN account so to not attract attention.

Timezone, Cyrillic, deductive reasoning?
Timezone, sure. Recognizing the Russian alphabet is something else altogether. Maybe I'm a moron, but I'd never be able to. Or is this a thing you crazy kids are into these days...
It doesn't ultimately matter, I was just curious.

Go here and login https://account.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/login.action?request_locale=pt_PT

Not at home so I can't give detailed instructions, but you should be able to find there a list of all your activated devices, and you will have a option to deactivate them all(you can activate them again immediately after by signing in on the console)

this guy is right, I can see a "deactivate" button for my PS4 there(under "devices") and activation of devices is there too somewhere.

But definitely call Sony. (<--late, you're already doing this. good)

bombshell

Not a vulnerability of remote play, his account was already compromised.

The automatic default behavior of remote play is to connect to the primary PS4. His primary PS4 was in Russia...

There's a manual method to connect to secondary PS4's initiated on the machine where you enter a digit code issued from the PS4.

this guy is right, I can see a "deactivate" button for my PS4 there(under "devices") and activation of devices is there too somewhere.

But definitely call Sony.

The problem is that in order to activate his own PS4, the hacker would have used this tool to deactivate the OPs PS4, and this can only be used once every six months.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Timezone, sure. Recognizing the Russian alphabet is something else altogether. Maybe I'm a moron, but I'd never be able to. Or is this a thing you crazy kids are into these days...

If college art design history courses taught me anything, it is Russian propaganda posters.

It isn't a vulnerability!

Tell them we need two factor.

4 realz

Ducktail

So.....

I just remote played into someone else's PS4 using my account.

This is not a drill. Went to use remote play on my PC to connect to my PS4 in the living room and it connected to a PS4 in Russian. My account, but their PS4. My PS4 still has the orange standby bar on.

Yeah, I'm freaked the fuck out.

The time on the PS4 was just past midnight. I am in NA East.

It eventually disconnected. Maybe someone saw what was going on. I was about to grab screencaps too.

It's really freaked me out that my account is now live and active on their PS4.

This happens if someone is using your primary account for game sharing. I once tried remote play and I saw my cousin playing something (we share the primary account)

Sony says they cannot deactivate the PS4 but they can offer to send my a password reset.

That is not good enough.

Dio

Banned

Or he just plays a MOBA online or Counter Strike and sees "&#1089;&#1091;&#1082;&#1072;" et cetera in chat. You get used to Russians if you play something like League.

The primary account is set on the Russians machine. So all he has to do is keep it there and the other accounts benefit from his purchases.

MUnited83

For you.
The problem is that in order to activate his own PS4, the hacker would have used this tool to deactivate the OPs PS4, and this can only be used once every six months.
Good point. Regardless, OP should check it out just in case.

Sony says they cannot deactivate the PS4 but they can offer to send my a password reset.

That is not good enough.
Yeah, seems dumb they can't force a deactivation on their end. Keep trying to see if they give in. Otherwise you will need to wait the full 6 months :/. At least the guy can't use your account to play online, buy or download games anymore, so there's that I guess :/ He will be free loading off the games he downloaded for 6 months but at least your account isn't compromised anymore.

Strider

FYI i had the same thing happen to me regarding someone else having my account (I noticed yesterday). Someone got my PSN info and made their ps4 the primary console on my account. I could not deactivate their ps4 using the online webstore because I "recently deactivated all my devices" and supposedly i have to wait 6 months to use that feature again. I talked to multiple people at Sony and they were no help. They all told me to wait 6 months to deactivate it.

The only other option given was to fill out some specialty form for deactivation. the problem with that is the specialty form asks for the serial number for the currently activated console (which I obviously won't have).

So yea people at sony were 0 help for me resolving this issue. I was/am still irritated by it...

So even though Ive changed all the info on my account, nothing was purchased, etc. some random person I guess still has digital access to all the games I've bought. I don't even know....

OP said he directly changed his password after he saw the other guy's PS4 via remote-play. You think the other guy was faster? Hmm.. must be like this.

Sounds like Sony should have a 2-step verification for activating/deactivating devices.

Damn this would freak me out.
Sidebar: I bought a PSTV from a pawnshop a couple weeks ago. It was like new, the previous owner didn't use it much. But he did leave all his PSN account info on the device and it auto logged me in as him when I turned it on the first time.

EoinOL

Did once already. Going to disconnect my payment option right now.

Edit: Anything else I should do.
Don't just change your password on PSN. Change it on every account you're using that has the same password (or even a similar one). If one of those is your Google account and you use Chrome and save passwords, then assume that all of your passwords are compromised and change them all.

(It might be best to change them all anyway, even if they're totally different to your PSN password).

The fact that Sony still hasn't given us 2-factor is appalling.
Two factor is obviously something that they should be doing, but in this case (and probably many others) even something as basic as Sony sending an email notification for sign-ins on a new device would have solved the issue.

FYI i had the same thing happen to me regarding someone else having my account (I noticed yesterday). Someone got my PSN info and made their ps4 the primary console on my account. I could not deactivate their ps4 using the online webstore because I "recently deactivated all my devices" and supposedly i have to wait 6 months to use that feature again. I talked to multiple people at Sony and they were no help. They all told me to wait 6 months to deactivate it.

The only other option given was to fill out some specialty form for deactivation. the problem with that is the specialty form asks for the serial number for the currently activated console (which I obviously won't have).

So yea people at sony were 0 help for me resolving this issue. I was/am still irritated by it...

So even though Ive changed all the info on my account, nothing was purchased, etc. some random person I guess still has digital access to all the games I've bought. I don't even know....

That sounds really fucking annoying. I am waiting on this form right now.

But if their PS4 is activated as the primary PS4 on your account then shouldn't you be able to see activated devices when you check your account on the PC?

Top Bottom