• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So I'm going to China... how is the internet situation there?

Bluntman

Hey guys!

So I'm going to Shanghai for 4 days as a European.

How is the internet there? Can I browse western sites? Use apps like Facebook, Google Maps, Gmail?

I have a VPN access, can I or should I use that?

(I also welcome some general tips about how to behave, what to watch out for and stuff like that in Shanghai, altho 4 days is not a very long time)

Last edited:

nikolino840

Hey guys!

How is the internet there? Can I browse western sites? Use apps like Facebook, Google Maps, Gmail?

(I also welcome some general tips about how to behave, what to watch out for and stuff like that in Shanghai, altho 4 days is not a very long time)
For What i know china Is an ok country,Is not like North korea

Hey guys!

Just don't discuss politics and you will be fine internet is blocked since it is on the mainland but vpn should work, when it comes to Internet Access. Shanghai currently has China's slowest Internet speeds at around 100 kb/s (global average is 230), which can be annoying.

Bluntman

Just don't discuss politics and you will be fine internet is blocked since it is on the mainland but vpn should work, when it comes to Internet Access. Shanghai currently has China's slowest Internet speeds at around 100 kb/s (global average is 230), which can be annoying.

So with VPN I can connect to western sites and apps?

100 kbs doesn't sound very nice tho, it's what I had 20 years ago :D

nush

So with VPN I can connect to western sites and apps?

100 kbs doesn't sound very nice tho, it's what I had 20 years ago :D
You'll need a VPN to get any Google services, apps and 60% of western websites. GAFs not blocked though.

edbrat

I found free VPNs could be janky so used Express VPN which was ok last time, sure there are others you prob want to look this up as some just stop working randomly from time to time. Cellular networks are good so get a local sim. Shanghai is great, suggest moving to a four meals a day routine while you're there. Dumplings are good in Shanghai make sure you try xiaolongbao. Find a local to show your foreign ass around.

Mistake

Google doesn’t work. You should also expect any encrypted messengers such as whatsapp to be blocked as well. So unless you have a vpn on, or your friends and family use wechat, you might not be able to contact them at all. Sms is still fine

Last edited:

Bluntman

Thanks guys! I have a proper VPN for work so I guess I'll Use that.

It's a business trip so even my short time of 4 days (well 3 really, because of travel) will be limited, and time outside of mandatory stuff is mostly booked by our host (restaurants, stuff to visit and see etc).

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I was in Beijing for 3 days and couldn't use internet for the most part. Didn't try a VPN and just ended up going without it for a few days. It is pretty annoying to not be able to Google stuff because you can hardly even look up alternatives without google. Maps didn't work either. I think you also need a different sim card and they have places that rent them to tourists.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Two China vloggers I watch have talked about their internet solutions, they get along with VPNs
Beware, they put a fuckin MID-ROLL AD in the second video. Try to find a transparent VPN and not NordVPN or ExpressVPN kay

Last edited:

nocsi

Hey guys!

If you're using iphone, I can get you a beta test code for noc:

Not to sound spammy/advertisey, but it's built for operation in countries like China where you're trying to evade their DPI.

cryptoadam

Banned
Two China vloggers I watch have talked about their internet solutions, they get along with VPNs
Beware, they put a fuckin MID-ROLL AD in the second video. Try to find a transparent VPN and not NordVPN or ExpressVPN kay

Watch those guys all the time.

I think they provide a pretty good perspective of China.

If you're staying in Pudong, Shanghai, there is no firewall. It's a SEZ. When you cross the river, you will need one if you're a google slave. China blocks all google services, Facebook and many major fake western news sites outside of special economic zones. Ultimately 99% of English language sites are not blocked. You use vpn in china as a foreigner for the same reason you use it at home, to get around geoblocking on stuff like netflix and amazon.

NordVPN is recommended. All VPN's that claim to not log data, do in fact log data. So don't be naive and believe any of that shit. Data is too valuable to 'not log' lol. Most (60%) are owned by Chinese companies. NordVPN is run by a Russian in Lithuania who has ties to Putin and by extension cordial arrangements with China, which is why the vpn works so well in the country.

Watch those guys all the time.

I think they provide a pretty good perspective of China.

Used to. They left the country over 2 years ago. They're operating from the US and are basically another China uncensored. They use a green screen, stock footage and their information is already out of date. Once they realized they could get more subs on YouTube by piggy backing Trump's trade war and making shit up, they high tailed it out of there.

Last edited:

nush

Used to. They left the country over 2 years ago. They're operating from the US and are basically another China uncensored. They use a green screen, stock footage and their information is already out of date. Once they realized they could get more subs on YouTube by piggy backing Trump's trade war and making shit up, they high tailed it out of there.

Yeah, I got tired of them once they left China. Before they were making videos on stuff that they witnessed in China directly and were a pretty good up to date news source. Now they are just reporting China news as anyone else could. C-Milks content changed to "Chinese girl* reacts" *Actually just his wife in her 30's so nowhere near being a girl.

don't shit up my fucking apex servers with your shit garbage chinese ip

china not number 1
fucking PUBG is unplayable every now and again

they just don't give a shit the cheaters from china

i read this somewhere on reddit a while ago

a chinese gamer living in china explaining that in the chinese culture, in order to get children into a successful mindset the parents will tell them legends of "the kid from the other family" that gets fucking straight As, high scores, lots of money and is just the best of the best

so this kind of pressure to be like that kid gets developing children to adopt the attitude that winning must be achieved at any cost, even if it's dishonorable

and that's why they'll fucking aim bot their way to that chicken dinner, no difference between glory and false glory

Last edited:

nocsi

I'm heading to China for 2+ weeks next month and could really use this.
I'll make a separate thread when we're formally open for beta (most likely before your trip) and will get invites to gaffers. Basically your VPN will bootstrap as needed and isn't some nasty gloryhole like what nordvpn does.

hwalker84

I'll make a separate thread when we're formally open for beta (most likely before your trip) and will get invites to gaffers. Basically your VPN will bootstrap as needed and isn't some nasty gloryhole like what nordvpn does.
Awesome. I leave on the 10th fyi :)

A Hong Kong prepaid card is another option besides the VPN and you can use it roaming in China without any restrictions. Plug and play.

Something like this is 10 days/3 GB/USD 19 (they come with different duration and allowance options):

Everything online has a Chinese equivalent - it might be useful to install apps before leaving for things like maps.

Baidu maps - more accurate than Google. Apple maps works and is also an option.
Alipay - not sure if it can accommodate foreign cards
Wechat - messaging people, scanning QR codes
Dianping - restaurants
DiDi - taxi
etc. etc.

Also, carry around some small change for vending machines or Metro ticket machines if you plan to use those.

Last edited:
If you staying for more than a week in a single city get a long term city transport pass and forget about small change for metro tickets. It's a card you top up with yuan at a booth or at the machine and you just tap to get on and off. They last 5 years so could accomodate your future trips. It allows you to get on metro and buses.

Last edited:
Every time you type something into a search engine, you must include "China is the greatest country in the world."

Other options include:
Tienamne what?
Long Live the chinese Governments
Human Rights Violations? China don't do that.
Every chinese product for use in the country is always the best quality.

There's a lot to choose from.

In seriousness, as other people said, get a rock solid VPN that does more than just hide your traffic. A VPN makes people far from invulnerable and invisible to finding out where you are. If someone like the government wants to find you, and you only have a moderately good vpn, they WILL find you and quickly.

Also I believe there are things you simply don't talk about including just saying the word of a place like Tienamen Square.

I would love to visit china, but I am petrified that I would say the wrong thing and end up in prison or have to pay a ridiculous "fine" for something made up, but let's be honest about this. Most fines are only fines in name, but it's really extortion. They're not smart when it comes to calling them fines. Very very few people are actually stupid enough to believe that.

Mistake

Tienamen Square Is an actual place. You can talk about it and even go there. No problem. It’s just a big empty space with a statue in the middle anyway. Just don’t be stupid and talk about sensitive things in public

Last edited:

Despera

Banned
A Hong Kong prepaid card is another option besides the VPN and you can use it roaming in China without any restrictions. Plug and play.

Something like this is 10 days/3 GB/USD 19 (they come with different duration and allowance options):

Everything online has a Chinese equivalent - it might be useful to install apps before leaving for things like maps.

Baidu maps - more accurate than Google. Apple maps works and is also an option.
Alipay - not sure if it can accommodate foreign cards
Wechat - messaging people, scanning QR codes
Dianping - restaurants
DiDi - taxi
etc. etc.

Also, carry around some small change for vending machines or Metro ticket machines if you plan to use those.
^

Also, OP make sure to download the chinese language pack for google translate. It will help a ton.

You can use vpn services but there is a small chance they get blocked.

It seems that a good free vpn to use there is TurboVPN

Been using it on all my business trips there no issue.

Enjoy your time there. Beautiful country and nice people.

Last edited:
I was in China in November - generally it's very nice and peaceful country since everything is under surveillance. They turn blind eye to westerners doing some small things that aren't allowed but use your brain - making pictures of things like police arresting some might end with trouble (one of people on our excursion had his camera checked what photos he did on Tienanmen square for that - thankfully he somehow fucked up and didn't make that picture so they found nothing but if he did I'd expect bare minimum would be losing his memory card with whole day of pictures).
Internet is problematic - I tried hotel wi-fi but it barely worked and I think I only managed to check something in my phone only 2 or 3 times in 10 days i was there.
But people who had laptop with them had much more luck as some hotels had ethernet ports and it worked much better than on Android phone.

Bluntman

So being here since tuesday. Shanghai is a great city, the people are nice, the food is amazing.

The city is clean as fuck, everything is in order, everything seems superbly maintained. To me it feels sort of like a bigger Berlin.

I don't feel 'threatened' or petrified or whatever at all. It just feels like a great city and great country.

Of course I behave like a normal person. Like at home. Nothing different really.

About the VPN stuff: I got TurboVPN working at the hotel but not at the Huawei Connect event wifi where we are at.

I say on my limited experience: don't be scared of China. It's great.

Thanks for all the replies.

nush

The city is clean as fuck, everything is in order, everything seems superbly maintained. To me it feels sort of like a bigger Berlin.

I don't feel 'threatened' or petrified or whatever at all. It just feels like a great city and great country.

You're in a tier one city, that's like China on best behavior. Go to another place and the experience will be quite different.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
In Japan u rent these portable WiFi hot-spot devices, don't know about China.
I would not worry about Chinese government looking at your data, they will get millions of tourists and will collect all there data, but it will be used to see if anyone has a problem with a Chinese government and in more of big data analysis. They will look at social trends, what's the most popular apps and topics are amongst certain nationalities and data.
They will probably use all smartphone phones in China to train whatever neural nets they have, but it's not really targeted snooping just big data collection for specific goals.
As they do in America and other countries.
Kinda of like what tesla cars do, they collect all the image recognition data from there cars to train and improve there self driving software.
So China probably do it for similar reasons and security.
I wouldn't worry about it.
They won't have any desire to do anything malicious with your data on a individual level, because it won't serve there goals.
I don't think any government has a goal of human suffering.

I think a use the Chinese government and companies like Google will have for smartphone snooping is maybe to train algorithms for emotional recognition, with enough facial reactionary data combined with what the person is doing on there phone, maybe they are training a neural net how to recognise emotions based on subtle facial cues, kinda of similar to how self driving cars train there algorithms.

Bare in mind I don't really know what I'm talking about. Lol

Last edited:

hwalker84

Still doing an open beta soon?

Top Bottom