• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, in the end, what is the GAF verdict on Death Stranding?

I'm not anywhere near far enough in to give any kind of real verdict.
Though enjoyed the 5-ish hours I played (Well, watched, for a lot of that. Kojima game:messenger_smirking:) of it and look forward to messing with it more. Definitely seems like a busywork game and am curious how it will fare once it stops introducing new shit and I'm just doing raw gameplay/quests for hours.

DonF

Since I inserted that disc into my PS4 is all I have in my mind. I want to eat, sleep, drink Death Stranding. Every moment I'm not playing, it's feels like a lost second. I want to read more about it, it's lore, the development, the marketing, Kojima... everything.

It's alright

Iorv3th

I'm not all that far, chapter 2 still maybe or chapter 3 not sure. Going around connecting places. Game is weird.

It's not the greatest game I have ever played and isn't pulling me in witcher style, but it has it's charm and I have fun playing it and it's relaxing. I can just play it for an hour or two and put it down and come back to it later.

I Loved the game.
I m a gamer since Atari but recently I don’t play that much. It take me months to finish a game, I barely play in the weekend for 2 hour maybe.
Now death stranding, bought it day one. Already 20 hours of gameplay, can’t stop. And my wife also love it, idk what is so fun for her to see a guy walking for minutes, she keep trying to help where to step or if there is some ghosts. (she always leave the run when I play games, only Detroit got her from beginning to end).
There is something super addictive on it.

Bkdk

Graphically and visual presentation is much better than expected, gameplay is so much worse than what I thought, I love open world games and this is simply the absolute worst AAA open world single player campaign, sigh.
Really didn’t expect it to be this boring. Certainly biggest disappointment of the year so far.

Arachnid

It's a "game" that's better off watching others play first. The first several hours has severe pacing issues that bores you to death. If you can get past that, then this may be the game for you.
Eh, I think watching it is actually what makes it all look so boring to others. Playing it is a completely different beast.

So far, I love it (25-30 hours in). Solid 9 in my book

Thedtrain

Despite thinking I’d hate it, I ended up incurring some redbox fee’s because I enjoyed it so much. Unique, weird, fun IMO

Last edited:

FrostyJ93

Haven't played and probably won't. Knew the gamenwould be divisive. Its a game you either love or hate and if you think you'll hate it you probably shouldn't but it right now.

it's a game you are either gonna hate or love

If you enjoy those truck/farming simulators where they have you doing meaningless tasks for hours you will probably will like this

In terms of how it stacks up in Sony's first party....it's probably the order 1887 tier
I liked 1887. I only paid $5 for it though. Still a fun shooter with great graphics. Like the setting too.

EDMIX

So, I'm wondering what is the opinion of those who actually played the game.

It has received mixed reviews, and as a non-fan of any Kojima game I'd like to know how it has been received by diehard fans and critics alike.

Enlighten me GAF.

I'm about 15 hours in myself and its already leading the pack with my personal GOTY and some beast titles released this year. Most games I know what to expect, stuff like RE2 remake or DMC5 are great, but I expected as much and they are more so returns to gameplay ideas I'm used to, saving ammo, health, watching saves etc. Doing combos and tricks on enemies and hack and slash stuff etc. Even Days Gone, a great game, but lots of it is stuff I expected from a open world zombie RPG type game (A must play for anyone who owns a PS4).

Death Stranding is just something else entirely. It forces you to really think about what it means to go to A to B. It makes you rethink gaming concepts that you did in mere seconds with no effort what so ever. My film teacher use to tell me this regarding film "Narration should not be there to tell you what you obviously could see, this is not a book, it is to tell you something the character internally is feeling so when it comes to film ,show me do not tell me"

I never truly understood this until I used Metal Gear Solid 3 and Persona 3 as examples of this they don't just simply tell you that naked snake is some Green Beret he literally fucking does it, it is not simply just something in the bio of the game the man is literally eating snakes and other animals and surviving in the jungle. Now I want you to consider any other game like let's say Call of Duty could tell you that in the bio or in the back of the box.

But the reality is many other games say the same things in terms of describing a scenario BUT are you actually truly 100% surviving suffering from the elements and as a result having to actually do something to combat the situation? So I want you to consider Persona 3 they're not just telling you the character is a high school student and suddenly he goes on an adventure and they completely ignore that, you literally go to class you literally take test you literally study you actually are that because YOU DO IT.

What I enjoy about this type of design is it's not simply just telling you something and then ignoring it 100% of the way, your character literally gets fatigued you literally have to navigate the terrain because your character can slip and he can fall. Its very easy to Simply watch someone playing it and not understand what you're witnessing but literally climbing a mountain in that game can get frustrating simply because it's not just moving up on a joystick and your character is just doing gymnastics with the zero repercussions , you must watch your footing you must hold shoulder buttons to properly have your character held up right there's a lot you must actually do to get there in only when you get frustrated do you realize this is the concept he's talking about and other games you simply walk up and your character essentially turns into this robot Juggernaut never needing food never needing water never getting tired

Does that actually make any sense to anyone?

Based on that logic alone, its easy for most of those characters in video games to complete most task, they have their life regenerate, they don't eat, don't sleep, don't get tired, what is the point of even experiencing any of it, if the person you are playing basically is a robot that can't suffer from anything that a normal person would upon completing the same task in real life?

So the game treats Sam as a real person and it makes the challenges you face that much epic. The BTs are a whole another challenge

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
there's a good variety of reasonable opinions on the game

some love it, others find it tedious and whatnot

personally not digging what i've played, basically the antithesis of everything i want in my video games, but i absolutely adore the world, characters, visdata stuff

Last edited:
I wrote, days ago, in the ot " could be initial hype"

Man, wasn't initial hype at all
I'm 33 hours in, ep 8, and still loving the game more, and more as the time passes, it's a blast
Awesome plot, great graphics, state of the art cutscenes ( God if i missed long cutscenes, hope they are back and here to stay) that are a real pleasure to watch, and very relaxing gameplay, you never feel tension ( in a good sense) and is the perfect game to let your mind take a break, dive in your couch and simply play for hours

This truly is Kojima at his highest, guy is in top shape

Last edited:
game made by people who don't actually do physical labor for people who don't actually do physical labor...

*sigh* If only I was German.
gVKoRFW.jpg

Silent Duck

giphy.gif

I’m surprised Kojima didn’t name the protagonist, Fall Hard Man. The absolutely stupid character names in the game are hilarious.

I find it more entertaining to pretend it is the “griitty” origin of Mega Man a la “Joker”. He will get his Mega Buster sometime in the next two games. :messenger_winking:

thelastword

Banned
Since I inserted that disc into my PS4 is all I have in my mind. I want to eat, sleep, drink Death Stranding. Every moment I'm not playing, it's feels like a lost second. I want to read more about it, it's lore, the development, the marketing, Kojima... everything.

It's alright
I Loved the game.
I m a gamer since Atari but recently I don’t play that much. It take me months to finish a game, I barely play in the weekend for 2 hour maybe.
Now death stranding, bought it day one. Already 20 hours of gameplay, can’t stop. And my wife also love it, idk what is so fun for her to see a guy walking for minutes, she keep trying to help where to step or if there is some ghosts. (she always leave the run when I play games, only Detroit got her from beginning to end).
There is something super addictive on it.
Wow a vocal few are absolutely upset by the many accolades we have in this thread including these two......It's great to see gamers embrace something new and refreshing in the sea of samey……….I have a few hours in , I should be delving much deeper this upcoming weekend......I will have more to say then....I'm enjoying it so far mind you......It became so clear to me how everyone's experience can be somewhat different, my second mission I ventured way up into the mountains and had to begin my descent...….This game is so rewarding for those who want to think a bit, plan their trip, study the landscape/map to determine the best route to your delivery point, there are so many gameplay elements involved, so many gameplay loops that are proving rewarding and engaging to players.......I think we will be seeing some interesting videos years later on how certain people made cargo drops or how they navigated enemy territory or how they linked or connected dark regions...........There is so much game within this game.....

dream

Count me in with everyone who loves it. Death Stranding makes me like kideo games again for the first time in years.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Open thread → Ignore thread → click confirm.

Maybe I'll pick up a copy when it's $20, but Kojima's name carries no cachet with me. It wouldn't even be on my radar if it weren't for all these GAF threads.

Gun Animal

It's not Kojima's magnum opus, MGS2 in particular is on another level. But it's good. Maybe great, IDK yet. I hope whatever Kojima works on next is a linear 8-12 hour experience, I don't have time for this Witcher 3/BOTW/MGS5/AC:O design format.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm over 20 hours in and loving every minute as it continues to get better and better.

This thread, though... I feel like it should just be part of the OT.

CJY

Banned
I'm still unclear about the consensus on whether this is actually worth playing or not. I guess it's something each individual truly needs to try for themselves. Personally, I think I would love it. Kojima's games have next-level mechanics... The fact it doesn't have a meandering story like MGS is probably a good thing.

Kamina

Golden Boy
If I liked BOTW will I like this game? That's all I need to know.
You will definitely have a higher acceptance for the traversal segments.
However, the story is something different entirely.

Walking around while picking up lost deliveries, avoiding stumbling due to difficult terrain hiding from mules and BTs, all while managing balance and weight limits is just pretty neat in my book. Not to mention all the stuff you can build, and the weapon and vehicle options you have later on.

Last edited:
Now at 41 hours.

Realized I think its a 10/10 experience from the perspective of graphics and audio design.

Like a 5/10 as far as the actual gameplay goes.

Its a great game to have conversations and debates about. Wife and I have been talking about it all the time....but I think the gameplays a little shallow and overhyped...i like tough games...playing on hard, kinda disappointed

Had a good debate with the wife on the Journey to the west, and how it could relate to this game....

Last edited:

dream

I'm still unclear about the consensus on whether this is actually worth playing or not. I guess it's something each individual truly needs to try for themselves. Personally, I think I would love it. Kojima's games have next-level mechanics... The fact it doesn't have a meandering story like MGS is probably a good thing.
The game features a character named Die Hardman. What more do you need?

Neff

It's terrific. It's hard to convey in gameplay terms, simply because it doesn't sound very interesting at all on paper. But it's one of the most fascinatingly emergent games I've ever experienced.

I've made the comparison before, but its closest relative for me would be Elite. You essentially carry cargo from outpost to outpost by plotting a route, defend yourself from attackers if need be, all the while attaining better equipment which enables you to deliver more cargo, travel further, defend yourself more ably, and generally enjoy being by yourself out in the wilderness as your reputation grows from lowly postie to Kevin Costner himself. Which is fun enough in itself, but then on top of that you have this community aspect where other players' actions are forever aiding you in a variety of ways- that handy rope saving you precious time and allowing you to detour a dangerous enemy-filled valley. That perfectly-placed battery enabling you to KEEP ON KEEPING ON while you traverse the landscape in your bike. That road which would take forever to build by yourself, but thanks to the group actions of players you'll never meet, allows you to slice directly through a massive chunk of harsh terrain in a fraction of the time. There's a lot to it, I'm really not doing it justice.

Like Elite, I wouldn't say it's for everyone. But that game is considered a masterpiece, and rightly so. And Death Stranding might end up being one too.

Ryu Kaiba

It’s overrated as fuck. Especially in japan and Europe.

If someone else - not as a big as a name as Kojima - would have made the EXACT SAME GAME no one would talk about, no one would give a shit about that game and the Score would be much much lower.
I beg to differ if it came out from some small studio and didn't have the celebrities or crazy story I think it would have caught fire over time just for being a quaint original indie. I think it would've trended similar to something like Stardew Valley.

Top Bottom