• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, in the end, what is the GAF verdict on Death Stranding?

Ryu Kaiba

Lol what a flame baiting asshole OP is. it's not even a week since its release and he acts as though GAF has come to some reasonable consensus over a Kojima game. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Nice to see most of the comments have been positive reactions though.

ethomaz

Banned
It’s overrated as fuck. Especially in japan and Europe.

If someone else - not as a big as a name as Kojima - would have made the EXACT SAME GAME no one would talk about, no one would give a shit about that game and the Score would be much much lower.
Yeap I believe if it was not a Kojima game reviewers may give it 10/10 because it is amazing.

But expectation are too high for Kojima-san.

I'm beginning to get that feeling that spring 2017 was the high-water mark for Sony and these latest games(Days Gone, Death Stranding) are an 'emperor with no clothes' situation. Most of these websites don't dare give this game any less than 8.5/10 for fear Sony won't give them review copies of TLOU2 and so on. It's a corrupt system. Ironically(?) Microsoft seems to be coming out with titles in the last couple of years that are actually fun.

Dr.Morris79

Sorry no time to reply. Have a massive order here.

T2kirXu.jpg
Keep on keeping on.

Mista

Banned

If someone else - not as a big as a name as Kojima - would have made the EXACT SAME GAME no one would talk about, no one would give a shit about that game and the Score would be much much lower.
Whatever you say, that’s your opinion. But I’m sorry, if someone else did this, it wouldn’t be delivered to the players with this quality.

JimiNutz

Banned
Seems overwhelmingly positive based on the impressions in here.
I resigned myself to thinking that I wouldn't enjoy it based on most of what I'd read and seen of the game but I think I will force myself to give the game a go in the new year.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Seems overwhelmingly positive based on the impressions in here.
I resigned myself to thinking that I wouldn't enjoy it based on most of what I'd read and seen of the game but I think I will force myself to give the game a go in the new year.

My advice is to suspend disbelief somewhat in the game and try to sow down your pace when you play these kind of games (maybe for you it will mean waiting for a big discount, but for me the game is worth every penny already, not looking to force myself to play it). I cannot put it down, but then again it would be a dream come true for me to walk in those trails and listen to such atmospheric music in the process... vistas are so beautiful.
That kept me going, learn the gameplay, and now I am seeing more and more possibilities (and I am not even as advanced in the game as some already building highways :)).

The weight and shape of the deliveries you carry, the speed you can traverse the terrain at and how it forces you to rebalance the weight across shoulders or keep good balance semi-automatically but lose speed and the character cannot use his hands to carry more stuff or to grab at things in the environment, etc... even trekking along is now a interestingly refined gameplay mechanic :).

imsosleepy

It's a "game" that's better off watching others play first. The first several hours has severe pacing issues that bores you to death. If you can get past that, then this may be the game for you.
I strongly dis agree with this. It just depends what kind of gamer you are maybe. I LOVED the beginning. Geezus that first moment from that first cutscene. Awesome. The begining hours of the game does have alot of cutscenes but its to set a tone, to set the world up, get you invested. And once you hit chapter 2 u get alot more free dom already and then the journy to chapter 3 starts..

And in chapter 2 u already get a bike and can buid bridges and things become easier.

I loved the opening, one of the best openings ever. How people can hate on this opening and not Red Dead 2 opening? wtf lol

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I strongly dis agree with this. It just depends what kind of gamer you are maybe. I LOVED the beginning. Geezus that first moment from that first cutscene. Awesome. The begining hours of the game does have alot of cutscenes but its to set a tone, to set the world up, get you invested. And once you hit chapter 2 u get alot more free dom already and then the journy to chapter 3 starts..

And in chapter 2 u already get a bike and can buid bridges and things become easier.

I loved the opening, one of the best openings ever. How people can hate on this opening and not Red Dead 2 opening? wtf lol

The first hours got me stuck in my seat and glued to the screen. The atmosphere, the music, the visuals, etc... it all grabbed me right away :D.

Cato

Banned
Slow burn.
Episode 1 and 2 and 3, liked it, it was so different and beautiful. You are a low level delivery guy that just does the walking similator, connecting places.
Thought it would be a nice, different, unusual game, rate it 6/10. Liked it. Both visuals and audio. Nice but not great.

Episode 4,5, everything changes. I don't personally focus on standard missions anymore since, other things can do, but road building.
Wow, that was deeply satisfying, and when you get messages that someone else contributed resources to a road segment.
That just turned the game head over tail for me. It just became a new game with a new focus.

These shifts just keep happening. Now there are completely new things and goals to focus on.
the story just gets weirder and better and better.
I am just at Episode 8, but Heartman really stood out as the peak so far. How/who/what will eclipse this?
And Cliff. Wow fucking wow.

At this point, episode 8/9 I am at a rating of a solid 9+/10 masterpiece.
I hope it just keeps getting better.
I absolutely love this game. GOAT as far as I am concerned.

Last edited:

This Kojima hand waving from haters such as yourself is just plain childish. I was too busy with career and family to have any idea who Kojima was until around the middle of last gen. I hated MGS4 and thought MGSV was okay. I finished neither. That has been my experience with Kojima games until last Friday. This game is FUCKING AMAZING.

Last edited:
It's boring and interesting at the same time.

I like the themes but hate to actually play the game.
The ripped off "social" part being sold as a groundbreaking new idea really doesn't help.
But I still kinda want to dig deeper.
It's a weird game, and I feel weird about it.

But...you know, the evaluation of the game wasn't all that different between Europe, Asia, and the US. It's like a minimal difference. But hey, don't let facts get in the way, man.
In fact Australian reviewers had the most negative evaluation. You should include Australia on your hate-list now that you know.

Can you believe these Aussies? THE NERVE!

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ive been having fun doing random missions not even paying attention to main story since i started Chapter 3. took a look at my playtime and already have 25 hours in! could probably spend another dozen just in this one part of the map i've already unlocked.

Arun1910

I'm not sure why but I love the loop of just delivering stuff which sounds so boring on paper.

Sam really feels alive which probably alleviates the tediousness and Norman Reedus as the protag is a good fit.. I like the thought of helping people and having a community of Death Stranding players building structures together to all help each other through the game. It really does feel like the most connected world to other plays without actually SEEING another player.

Also this game perfectly fits in with my life. By the time I get home from work, I don't always have the mental energy to go and play games I love, right now, CoD MW. That's where Death Stranding overtakes because you can take your time, it's not a headache to play, you always feel like you're doing something good, and most importantly for the most part, it is chill.

Ozrimandias

- Relaxing Game
- For the first time in a game i think that te "terrain" really matters.
- Motivate you to collaborate
- Over complicated Plot full of Absurd Clichés
- Long Cutscenes everytime
- Tolerable only because of its breathtaking graphics

SLB1904

Banned
It's boring and interesting at the same time.

I like the themes but hate to actually play the game.
The ripped off "social" part being sold as a groundbreaking new idea really doesn't help.
But I still kinda want to dig deeper.
It's a weird game, and I feel weird about it.

But...you know, the evaluation of the game wasn't all that different between Europe, Asia, and the US. It's like a minimal difference. But hey, don't let facts get in the way, man.
In fact Australian reviewers had the most negative evaluation. You should include Australia on your hate-list now that you know.

Can you believe these Aussies? THE NERVE!
There is nothing boring about death stranding.
People don't read the games instructions and play like normal 3rd person shooters then get destroyed. Blame on game.
Watch ign podcast. Where they are finding out things as they talk.

Embarrassing.

Death stranding is different than any game I ever play.
Each npc have a story and actually goals. Something I never see in any game ever.
They actually give interesting things in return. I'm on chapter and this is the most engaging thing I ever play.

You are alone in that world. But you can see strands vehicles.

He'll the terrain changes if the players keep using the same path.

One example is to reach the elder. In my game there is a dirty road that leads to is shelter.
When o start the game there was grass and rocks to reach him.

Fuck yeah best game I ever play

And yeah fuck reviewers it's embarrassing watching talk and as someone who's playing the and leaning a new thing everyday.
I'm like yeah you guys should do something else with your life.

But again, is our fault to put them on p3destal when most of them play games as a job. They are someone who just gits a job to pay the bills and we all know how much we love our jobs.
It's pretty sad seeing people skipping the game when it could be their best game ever or not.
That's all.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Almost all of my friends praise DS as one of the best games of this generation, but for me it's still a 7/10 game. There were far too many things that annoyed me in it like vehicle handling being awful and some story quests feeling like simple fetch quests. The "multiplayer" is definitely the highlight and it takes some mechanics from Souls games on a whole level, can't say I enjoyed combat because of not enough enemy variety and eliminating BTs becoming super easy once you've unlocked better gear.

iBeastSlayer-

Neo Member
The more you get in, the more it’s awesome. It is sooo addictive.

10/10, GOTY without a doubt.
Solid GOTG contender.

Hideo Kojima is a beast, thank you sir for this amazing game.

Last edited:

GHG

I'm beginning to get that feeling that spring 2017 was the high-water mark for Sony and these latest games(Days Gone, Death Stranding) are an 'emperor with no clothes' situation. Most of these websites don't dare give this game any less than 8.5/10 for fear Sony won't give them review copies of TLOU2 and so on. It's a corrupt system. Ironically(?) Microsoft seems to be coming out with titles in the last couple of years that are actually fun.

When gears releases and gets a mid 80's critic aggregate score:

giphy.gif

When Death stranding releases with a similar aggregate score:

the-emperor-has-no-clothes.gif

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
18 hours in, still in chapter 3, and really enjoying it.

Not sure if it'll displace Days Gone as my GOTY yet (and honestly that's a big ask), but it is a very strong contender at this point.

On the topic of Days Gone, its kinda funny that its core combat loop is so very reminiscent of Metal Gear, that I feel I've been Kojima-ing for most of this year. :D

Top Bottom