• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, in the end, what is the GAF verdict on Death Stranding?

Freeman76

Im a bit further in now, chapter 7, and its firmly GOTY and its not even close. This game has sparked my interest in a way few games ever manage. Absolute genius through and through, and the bigger message Kojima is trying to convey here is a very important one we all need to listen to, that he chose a huge release such as this to target human connection and emotion so acutely is a rare thing, most devs just want to appeal to the masses to make profit over really caring about their product.

I'm no Kojima nut either, often playing the MGS series I felt the guy needed to get over himself, but this game speaks to me and feels like the pinnacle of his career. It can be touching, thought provoking l, relaxing, at times a little annoying, but it almost feels like a resource management sim in a 3d action game, in some ways reminding me of Black Desert with the complexity of systems that all join together after numerous hours of head scratching. 10/10 all day.

ViolentP

I never really kept up with the game pre-release but was bored and bought it the day before release. Didn't touch it all weekend but Monday I started working out and part of that workout is a 5 -mile run on the stationary. This has now become my Death Stranding time and for some reason, it's working for me. I don't know if it's the serenity or what, but I am enjoying the hell out of it.

Weird because there really isn't much going on.

Graphics are great.

The rest no so much. Gameplay is not fun enough and very repetitive, and the enemies in this game are scary to look at but in reality it's a cakewalk. The amount of exposition is incredible. Drags towards the end a lot. The story starts great but gets worse from chapter 8 onward.

My 2 cents.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I know I've said it before... but the game is phenomenal in all ways but only for a specific person. Not everyone will liek it but You can't deny some things it does. Gameplay is unique, new and finally avoid shooting for most par. Finally we get a game that is a huge and is not a shooter but does super interesting things.
The walking and nice views are very zen and relaxing for me. I kinda even wish there were less BT or Mules distractions because I just want to enjoy the travel. I am also playing FUEL from time to time just to roam around the world, so Death Stranding is like a game made for me! I also think that RPG fans should like it. This is "Skyrim Your way up there" THE GAME.
SO as far as gameplay goes - I would say that this is an RPG/Adventure game but with inventory being real and no dialogue choices. In Rpg's the whole game also resolves around going from place to place but You do it by shooting and here by walking/managing gear/inventory.
There is fast travel but I've not used it a single time until I finished the game.
The multiplayer stuff is creative, interesting and kinda rewarding. There is no negativity in this game. it is very positive.
The Story is Kojima. It's MGS4 unchained and sci-fied. You know what it is but the way it is presented is on another level.
The graphics are insane. The way characters look, the way world looks. It's all in real time, ingame. There are NO prerendered cutscenes.
Look at the trailer and the face at 4:45... this is an example of how good this game can look. The fact that is not a prerendered cg is mind blowing. This should not be possible for few more years

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I know I've said it before... but the game is phenomenal in all ways but only for a specific person. Not everyone will liek it but You can't deny some things it does. Gameplay is unique, new and finally avoid shooting for most par. Finally we get a game that is a huge and is not a shooter but does super interesting things.
The walking and nice views are very zen and relaxing for me. I kinda even wish there were less BT or Mules distractions because I just want to enjoy the travel. I am also playing FUEL from time to time just to roam around the world, so Death Stranding is like a game made for me! I also think that RPG fans should like it. This is "Skyrim Your way up there" THE GAME.
SO as far as gameplay goes - I would say that this is an RPG/Adventure game but with inventory being real and no dialogue choices. In Rpg's the whole game also resolves around going from place to place but You do it by shooting and here by walking/managing gear/inventory.
There is fast travel but I've not used it a single time until I finished the game.
The multiplayer stuff is creative, interesting and kinda rewarding. There is no negativity in this game. it is very positive.
The Story is Kojima. It's MGS4 unchained and sci-fied. You know what it is but the way it is presented is on another level.
The graphics are insane. The way characters look, the way world looks. It's all in real time, ingame. There are NO prerendered cutscenes.
Look at the trailer and the face at 4:45... this is an example of how good this game can look. The fact that is not a prerendered cg is mind blowing. This should not be possible for few more years

On a 1.84TF box with a "netbook CPU".

Nero_PR

Banned
Finally finished it last night. Absolutely loved it. Not sure I’d want to see a sequel though. 41 hours to finish it, no side stuff, on hard difficulty.
I'm 40+ hours in episode 5 with all highways built and lots of ziplines to places that I hate to go by truck or walking. Great game. I've seen that a lot of people are putting resources to maintain my highways pristine. Great time waster and relaxing.

Bryank75

Banned
My game of the year, so glad people were brave enough to try it out for themselves against all the negative talk from certain outlets and communities.

Still ended up with a higher meta than nearly all the other newly released games, including Fallen Order, Pokemon and MW and more 100 out of 100 scores than any game this year.

I am happy Kojima got to make his game and we got to play something truly different that takes the focus off killing and violence. It's been a truly refreshing experience.

MrJTeera

I’d say it’s the best story I’ve play through this year. No sequel/DLC bait. That one review was right. This game needs no sequel. Not because it’s that good, but it’s the rarity in pacing that I see lacking in games nowadays that only show a little of what it could’ve been just to show more of those things in future installments just to make more money.

DS holds no bar and it feels, to me in a long run, a very complete and defining experience. This is a game that’ll make you feel connected in an isolated world, and whoever doesn't feel that way either alreafy solved that problem or just a sheep following in whatever beliefs you cultivated in. But then again, this goes againt what Kojima’s trying to say in this game.

So, congrats Kojima. You made a game about connection that divides people further and further more.

Bryank75

Banned
I’d say it’s the best story I’ve play through this year. No sequel/DLC bait. That one review was right. This game needs no sequel. Not because it’s that good, but it’s the rarity in pacing that I see lacking in games nowadays that only show a little of what it could’ve been just to show more of those things in future installments just to make more money.

DS holds no bar and it feels, to me in a long run, a very complete and defining experience. This is a game that’ll make you feel connected in an isolated world, and whoever doesn't feel that way either alreafy solved that problem or just a sheep following in whatever beliefs you cultivated in. But then again, this goes againt what Kojima’s trying to say in this game.

So, congrats Kojima. You made a game about connection that divides people further and further more.
Humans still have a tribal nature deep down that is sometimes hard to overcome, the let themselves fall into camps of thought. I can't blame Kojima for that! But I understand what you are saying and had a similar reaction initially.

Arachnid

Having now beaten it, I loved it. Story and character wise, it was a 10/10. Kojima really went above and beyond on the ending.

Gameplay wise? Probably around an 8-9/10. I loved it (I have my complaints around the stealth and combat, but loved everything else), but it's not the kind of game I'd recommend to the majority. It feels super niche. Remember back when MGSV released a lot of people liked it but criticized it because they felt like it was the same gameplay loop of infiltrating a compound, fultoning some nameless soldier, and stealthing out over and over again? This is similar except the gameplay loop is the deliveries. In MGSV, a lot of the fun came from figuring out how you wanted to tackle the compound with a lot of choice in a sandbox. This is the same except it's all about how you want to tackle the delivery. A lot of the fun comes from the choice in traversal like how a lot of the fun in MGS comes from the choice in infiltration. Thing is, you have to enjoy the initial delivery gameplay loop first which is why I think it's niche. It's kind of a risky buy, so I'd probably recommend most just wait until it's cheap or rent it. If you are into the loop though (like I am), chit is addicting af.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I ended up buying Star Wars instead...I'm starting to feel like that was a mistake. I said i was gonna buy it and i just...i dunno, im an idiot

Portugeezer

It's a difficult game to recommend, but I personally think it's great. I am glad I made up my own mind to buy it; would be easy to be put off by some negative reviews.

imsosleepy

Having now beaten it, I loved it. Story and character wise, it was a 10/10. Kojima really went above and beyond on the ending.

Gameplay wise? Probably around an 8-9/10. I loved it (I have my complaints around the stealth and combat, but loved everything else), but it's not the kind of game I'd recommend to the majority. It feels super niche. Remember back when MGSV released a lot of people liked it but criticized it because they felt like it was the same gameplay loop of infiltrating a compound, fultoning some nameless soldier, and stealthing out over and over again? This is similar except the gameplay loop is the deliveries. In MGSV, a lot of the fun came from figuring out how you wanted to tackle the compound with a lot of choice in a sandbox. This is the same except it's all about how you want to tackle the delivery. A lot of the fun comes from the choice in traversal like how a lot of the fun in MGS comes from the choice in infiltration. Thing is, you have to enjoy the initial delivery gameplay loop first which is why I think it's niche. It's kind of a risky buy, so I'd probably recommend most just wait until it's cheap or rent it. If you are into the loop though (like I am), chit is addicting af.

But that MGS5 reviewed very highly and sold a shitload. This game reviewed poorly for a kojima game and most likely not what he was expecting and I do believe reviews like ign one wil hurt its sales alot. also the whole walking sim meme wil prob not hnelp as well. I doubht he wil do something as risky as this one again when it was not rewarded

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

I think the problem is with the real-world, not the game.

We're living in a time where "diversity" is supposed to be the greatest thing, and yet apparently everyone is supposed to agree about everything!

Disagreement is not a problem provided both parties are willing to tolerate the other's views without prejudice, something you'd think wouldn't be difficult on simple matters, like the quality of a videogame for example(!), but sadly that appears to be too much for some.

imsosleepy

i think most people that play it now get a much different experience then all the reviewers did. I ended up at a really hard place today to traverse. But luckily due to the online component, alot of people placed ladders and ropes there and further on I found bikes on the road and extra things to help me so it was not a long journey to just walk and be annoyed incase I forgot a ladder or something.

The online component is brilliant. I barely have really long walks anymore in this game as my server has alot of good roads for the long distances. The only long distances I stil have to do is when I have to unlock a new place but then that is also one hell of an epic journey. you see the distance and u know u have to prepare for it, be sure u take everything with u that u need and plan the route very wel. And those journeys are very rewarding and satsifying when completing.

I love the story in this game it really keeps me intriqued and interessted to keep progressing in the game. The mule are also quite fun to fight, but its not the main focus of the game how ever u can stop with the main mission and go fuck up some mule camps and have a shitload of fun and action.

This game really is unique in a lot of ways but u just dont play this with the expaction to have full on action non stop like god of war.

And yes some parts in this game are truly art, when u finished a long journey and the last part, the camera pans out, and music starts playing, thats some good shit

I’m having mixed feelings on it.

I just got to the end of Chapter 5. The story is great, graphics amazing, art direction phenomenal.

I’m just bored. I seem to spend so much time doubling back on routes, over and over again. I’m think I’m about half way through (?) and I’m not sure I can face another 30 hours.

I really want to like it...I just don’t think I do.

Digity

I’m having mixed feelings on it.

I just got to the end of Chapter 5. The story is great, graphics amazing, art direction phenomenal.

I’m just bored. I seem to spend so much time doubling back on routes, over and over again. I’m think I’m about half way through (?) and I’m not sure I can face another 30 hours.

I really want to like it...I just don’t think I do.
Ya there is quite a bit of that there, just push through and you'll be glad you did. The mountains are the worst for that, same as the area around where Texas would be.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I’m at chapter 6, about 20 hours in. Traversing around the world is a lot of fun and I like that it is not combat focused. The story is interesting. Some of the objectives can be a bit repetitive though. Right now I would give it a 9/10. I’ll have to play more to see if it holds up for another 20+ hours. Either way I am glad I bought it since it is a bit different then stuff I’ve played recently.

Neff

Snatcher > MGSV > Death Stranding > MGS > MGS2 > Policenauts > MGS4 > Metal Gear > Peace Walker > Metal Gear II > MGS3

Kagero

Just finished it. Most " Kojima ass" kojima game ever and I love it! There's a reason he's so revered. The game is breath taking! The graphics are jaw dropping. The gameplay is fresh. The story is weird and awesome. The acting is so good! 44 hours. My GOTY. No need for a sequel.

MGS2> MGS3> Death Stranding

Last edited:
Worth it. Walking simulator my ass.

I've got to agree there...anyone saying it's a walking simulator must be trolling and really hasn't played it at all.

There's a ton of game mechanics...so much so I'm worried about starting anything else and forgetting what I'm doing.
Ya there is quite a bit of that there, just push through and you'll be glad you did. The mountains are the worst for that, same as the area around where Texas would be.

Yep it's the back and forth in the mountains that has tempered my enjoyment.

I'll give it another episode (y)

Virex

Banned
Too smart for GAF maybe?
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Death Stranding. The gameplay is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the gameplay and Kojima will go over a typical gamer's head. There's also Kojima's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from very deep movies and literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these Kojima games, to realise that they're not just amazing- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Death Stranding truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the writing in Kojima's existential catchphrase "you rike it," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Hideo Kojima's wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Hideo Kojima and Death Stranding tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid

Roni

Gold Member
I'm still on Chapter 6 after 70 hours of gameplay. So you can already guess I'm hooked on the gameplay... The story is moving at a slow pace, which fits the gameplay nicely. Despite that, the game has great lore (cutscenes, dialogue, interviews & emails) and I'm excited to see what's next.

From what I've heard, the story will pick up a lot from chapter 6 onwards and I'm about ready for that... Kinda breathtaking that after 70 hours of gameplay I'm still getting new equipment that does something rather unique instead of just upgrading the same tool for the umpteenth time.

Game is already a hit for me, no matter where the story goes, it's Kojima and I'm 100% along for the ride.

Last edited:

Coconutt

Just finished the game last night and I'd give it a 9/10. The story was amazing and not as much as a clusterfuck as MGS, I actually understood what was going on in the story and by the end of it, the game just straight up gives an hour of explanation. The combat was probably the weakest aspect, boloing mules is fun but some of the BTs you fight aren't really that challening,
the last boss being a random whale BT was kind of wack.
The walking/delivering part of it was my favorite part, it was challenging at times and finding ways to maneuver trucks around mountains was fun.

MGS3 > Death Stranding > MGS5 > MGS2 > MGS4 > MGS1

Last edited:

Digity

Just finished the game last night and I'd give it a 9/10. The story was amazing and not as much as a clusterfuck as MGS, I actually understood what was going on in the story and by the end of it, the game just straight up gives an hour of explanation. The combat was probably the weakest aspect, boloing mules is fun but some of the BTs you fight aren't really that challening,
the last boss being a random whale BT was kind of wack.
The walking/delivering part of it was my favorite part, it was challenging at times and finding ways to maneuver trucks around mountains was fun.

MGS3 > Death Stranding > MGS5 > MGS2 > MGS4 > MGS1
You crazy man but you got MGS3 at the top spot so you're cool.

Now at 41 hours.

Realized I think its a 10/10 experience from the perspective of graphics and audio design.

Like a 5/10 as far as the actual gameplay goes.

Its a great game to have conversations and debates about. Wife and I have been talking about it all the time....but I think the gameplays a little shallow and overhyped...i like tough games...playing on hard, kinda disappointed

Had a good debate with the wife on the Journey to the west, and how it could relate to this game....

I’m more or less with you, though I do enjoy the chill aspect of just doing standards orders and having Spotify on in the background. Can be kinda relaxing in that area

I’m more or less with you, though I do enjoy the chill aspect of just doing standards orders and having Spotify on in the background. Can be kinda relaxing in that area

Man after beating it were still talking about all the call backs to other genres/eras/games/and trends.

I still think the game was poor from a gameplay.perspective, and after beating it I will admit ill probably never install it again.

But its a fun game to debate about. I'd give it a 6/10

MiguelItUp

I'm currently at Episode 7, almost 8, trying to hard to not rush, while also wanting to beat it as fast as possible so I can talk to all of you about it. (Lol, wording.)

My love for it continues to grow. Insane to me that it's able to take that gameplay loop, and continue to keep giving and making it interesting as you continue on.

j0hnnix

I was pretty skeptical about it but ended up trying it and enjoyed it alot, the first 3 chapters can be a hurdle for some but sticking through it did pay off. The story, while weird af, kept me involved wanting more but don't take my word for it.. Ask Geoff Keighley what he thinks about it.

Justin9mm

This is the craziest thing. I have a 4k monitor, rtx 2070, ryzen 3700x... and nothing on pc looks like this. It is insane how realistic the characters are and how long distance the view is... or how many damn shiny rocks there are on the ground. All with proper collision models
Optimisation baby!! This is why the next gen consoles will get closer to PC in performance at probably half the price or more. Dynamic 4K 60fps will be a common thing next gen, try and get that out of a PC build for $500. PC Master Race come at me! lol

Last edited:
Completed up to chapter 10 now.

I kept dreading this part where some reviewers said the game got bad. But I loved the mountains parts!

I can understand why some people would become frustrated, and want to quit around that zone. But for me, I ate it up! Absolute joy finding my way up down and around those peaks and valleys!

Also zip lines ftw baby! So satisfying laying down your own fast travel points after working so hard to find a perfect location on a peak to place them!

Chiggs

Gold Member
Quit during Chapter 2. Picked up again. Quit during Chapter 3.

That’s a wrap.

What other game or game director gets this kind of leeway/apologist treatment?

This is the craziest thing. I have a 4k monitor, rtx 2070, ryzen 3700x... and nothing on pc looks like this. It is insane how realistic the characters are and how long distance the view is... or how many damn shiny rocks there are on the ground. All with proper collision models

Yes, I too am impressed with how Kojima and crew rendered a big, empty world with wet rocks. Truly impressive!

Last edited:

Barakov

There's parts of it I enjoyed and a large swath of it I really didn't like. I was pretty in to it until about chapter 5. That's where I feel a bunch of padding showed up and didn't let up until chapter 9 or 10. I enjoyed the story for what is was and I felt it ended well. Next time Kojima releases a game I'll definitely won't be giving him the benefit of doubt.

Digity

What other game or game director gets this kind of leeway/apologist treatment?

Can you point to where I’m being an apologist? The game has a section that drags on and is kind of tedious. You seriously gonna tell me no other game has a section of it that is like that? Lol the game is by no means perfect.

Digity

I kept dreading this part where some reviewers said the game got bad. But I loved the mountains parts!

I can understand why some people would become frustrated, and want to quit around that zone. But for me, I ate it up! Absolute joy finding my way up down and around those peaks and valleys!

Also zip lines ftw baby! So satisfying laying down your own fast travel points after working so hard to find a perfect location on a peak to place them!
Don’t forget carving down some epic slopes on the carrier lol.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

The mountains section was criticized in reviews (I haven't read any to avoid spoilers)? I'm on Episode 8 - Heartman and have been loving my time in the mountains. It's very different from the previous section, but it's great. I wonder if they're using the right exoskeleton to get around more easily or strategically placing zip lines...

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom