• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is Splatoon the best, most successful new first party IP this gen?

TheJoRu

Splatoon outselling Bloodborne is...well, I don't know really. Splatoon is selling phenomenally, but it's also a much more accessible game at heart than Bloodborne.

Splatoon is also rated E.
Bloodborne (which the title itself is sort of gross) is rated M.

There is def. a reason why sales are split

I don't know what you mean by "sales are split", but PS4 is a platform where M-rated games generally do very well. I'd say it can be beneficial to be M-rated, even. So I doubt it has hurt its sales. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, though.

Vice

Parents are going to buy their kids a rated M game called Bloodborne?

Well, possibly and there are many adult gamers who would just buy Bloodborne for themselves. The same way they buy something like GTA, COD or Gears of War.

Crono27

parents are going to buy a their kids gta, mortal kombat, cod?

157.png

Floody

Do we know how much Knack sold? It probably got bundled a lot. The best, for me, would easily be Bloodborne though.

If we ignore the first party part, Destiny crushes everything else.

Breads

Banned
If you want to strain things in a decidedly narrow and unproductive context sure.

If you want to get serious then Watchdogs trounces it as a new IP at launch.

And you know what that means? Absolutely nothing.

Splatoon is great but what kind of discussion do you think we're going to have here?

I don't know what you mean by "sales are split", but PS4 is a platform where M-rated games generally do very well. I'd say it can be beneficial to be M-rated, even. So I doubt it has hurt its sales. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, though.

Movies/ videogames have a high rating tax - the higher the rating the lower the sales.

KevinCow

Banned
Splatoon sold 4.03 Million

Just for reference against other new IPs...

Bloodborne: ~2 Million
Driveclub ~1.88 Milion
Dying Light ~1.4 Million

Wait, doesn't the Wii U only have like 12 million units worldwide?

Are you telling me that Splatoon sold to 1/3 of Wii U owners? That's... kind of insane, isn't it?

and a fraction of games available on the WiiU.

Lol, already reaching to find reasons to downplay Splatoon's success, huh?

Crayolan

Splatoon is also rated E.
Bloodborne (which the title itself is sort of gross) is rated M.

There is def. a reason why sales are split

Bloodborne is definitely not as accessible as Splatoon, but the rating is not why. Call of Duty games are rated M and those consistently sell well and are played by lots of children.

Nintendo, who gets constantly shat on for relying on existing IPs, has managed to successfully launch a new franchise with a unique spin in a genre they had little to no experience in on a faltering platform.

And you guys are already looking to spin it as a negative.

Never change, brehs.

Yeah, that's certainly surprising.

Is it though? It's a team shooter compared to a relatively niche action/adventure series.

Like, it's still impressive, but if Nintendo busted out a big open world game (possibly Zelda) I wouldn't be surprised if that outsold BB either. Genre appeal is huge, and there's a reason that online shooters are one of the few genres so reliable that AAA gaming still makes them. :p

Ferr986

Oh here we go.. yeah, and that explains why all Wii U exclusives sell this well, right?

Lol, already reaching to find reasons to downplay Splatoon's success, huh?

My comment was probably kind of hyperbole yeah, but it's also doesn't mean much that the WiiU has way less install base. Splatoon, even if it's a good an original new IP, it's the kind of game the WiiU users would totally buy IMO.

In this case, Bloodborne is way more niche. It doesn't mean shit if it's M-Rated when the game is as old school as it gets in a platform where CoDs and GTAs top the charts the whole year.

Not gonna deny Splatoon success in Japan is amazing though.

Jinjo

Maybe I should pick up this game soon... Been flying under my radar for a long time.

Is it mostly multi oriented or does it have a decent single player campaign too?

Happens, although with a more ... "patriotic" name. *cough*CallofDuty*cough*

Also, going by the numbers of this Eurogamer article, Bloodborne selling in line with the Dark Souls games on "only" one platform sure should be a good result.
I think you can't even blame anyone, Bloodborne got the hype, the review scores, the rabid Souls-fanbase (which i'm a part of), the word of mouth and great add-on content.

Now, if you keep in mind the initial reactions of Splatoon's first showing (Hint: There's a thread arguing about what level of "bomb" Splatoon would be), the userbase of Wii U compared to PS4 (or PS4/XOne), it's unique presentation and art direction, and finally it's classification as one of those "garage games", does make Splatoon the most successful new 1rst party IP this gen.

So far, that is.

My comment was probably kind of hyperbole yeah, but it's also doesn't mean much that the WiiU has way less install base. Splatoon, even if it's a good an original new IP, it's the kind of game the WiiU users would totally buy IMO.

In this case, Bloodborne is way more niche. It doesn't mean shit if it's M-Rated when the game is as old school as it gets in a platform where CoDs and GTAs top the charts the whole year.

Not gonna deny Splatoon success in Japan is amazing though.

Wait - a weird game about squids shooting paint is a given for fans of Nintendo, a company with zero shooters to its name, while a AAA character action rpg piggybacking off an established, successful franchise is an underdog niche game?

KingBroly

Banned
Maybe I should pick up this game soon... Been flying under my radar for a long time.

Is it mostly multi oriented or does it have a decent single player campaign too?

It's...there.

It's not bad or anything. It's just...you'll forget about it.

Nintendo, who gets constantly shat on for relying on existing IPs, has managed to successfully launch a new franchise with a unique spin in a genre they had little to no experience in on a faltering platform.

Never change, brehs.

But it's a kiddie game ! Doesn't have blood !
Delicious

Nope, SPlatoon officially outsold Bloodborne now.
And Halo is NOT a new IP.

would you say ps4 owners had waaay more games to buy vs wii. u owners? if you weren't buying splatoon what else were you buying?basically I'm saying sales isnt how this should be measured. wii u releases are few and far between... any wii u game probably will sell decently just so there's something to play on it.

Crayolan

The single player campaign is good, reminiscent of a platformer, but it's short, like 4-5 hours.

oSoLucky

Splatoon sold 4.03 Million

Just for reference against other new IPs...

Bloodborne: ~2 Million
Driveclub ~1.88 Milion
Dying Light ~1.4 Million

Are those Chartz numbers ?

Just for clarification, Driveclub sold 2 million to consumers back in July. Dying Light sold 5 million copies last summer too.

Also don't forget to throw in Titanfall and Watch_Dogs. The OP is framed as kind of a loaded statement seeing as how we all know exclusives are much more important on Nintendo systems. Just thread number 432 showing how Splatoon, Bloodborne, etc. are the best using as many factors as needed to come to that conclusion.

The game doing well is absolutely great for Nintendo and the industry though.

Dunkley

Never change, brehs.

GQ8NQH2.gif

Memory

Single player campaign is very fun and creative, especially boss fights.

It took me maybe 5 hours to beat but you want to jump straight back in, since you know how much better you have got and the levels are repayable.

The campaign was criminally overlooked in most reviews, some don't even mention it, smh.

would you say ps4 owners had waaay more games to buy vs wii. u owners? if you weren't buying splatoon what else were you buying?basically I'm saying sales isnt how this should be measured. wii u releases are few and far between... any wii u game probably will sell decently just so there's something to play on it.

fucking lmao

how else should it be measured? pixie dust?

I swear to god, some of you will just post anything

Top Bottom