• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is Splatoon the best, most successful new first party IP this gen?

Sandfox

would you say ps4 owners had waaay more games to buy vs wii. u owners? if you weren't buying splatoon what else were you buying?basically I'm saying sales isnt how this should be measured. wii u releases are few and far between... any wii u game probably will sell decently just so there's something to play on it.
If that were true certain games would have sold better than they did.

would you say ps4 owners had waaay more games to buy vs wii. u owners? if you weren't buying splatoon what else were you buying?basically I'm saying sales isnt how this should be measured. wii u releases are few and far between... any wii u game probably will sell decently just so there's something to play on it.

Wow, you must be really upset.
Can't wait for the announcement when Devil's Third sells 1 mio. copies.

FZZ

Banned
fucking lmao

how else should it be measured? pixie dust?

I swear to god, some of you will just post anything

lv7RrA7.gif

ASIS

First party software sales in general are a bit insane with the Wii U, especially considering the install base.

How many million sellers are there for the Wii U anyway?

Or a lot people bought it because it got good reviews and 99% of those who played it said it was addictively awesome.

Ahahahaha...what the fuck, dude? If that would be the case Bayonetta 2 had sold 4 million aswell. Wow, no need to be THIS salty.

correojon

Splatoon doubled Bloodborne sales? I wasn´t expecting this. Well deserved, the game is frikkin' awesome.

Bloodborne is a new IP but there´s no denying it´s a Souls game and was marketed as that. The creators are From Software, not Sony, even the Souls fanbase used a lot the argument that it was being developed by Soul´s "A" team with Miyazaki at the front to hype it beyond Dark Souls 2. Not comparable to a true first party developed in-house by a team of young devs with nothing similar before it, in a genre the dev hadn´t even touched before. Apples and oranges.

fucking lmao

how else should it be measured? pixie dust?

I swear to god, some of you will just post anything

AHAHAHAHAHAA.

I guess The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta are also at 4 million. Cause after all there's nothing else to buy. Everyone should be putting their games on Wii U cause it's a guaranteed 4 million on sales if you do.

casiopao

If you want to strain things in a decidedly narrow and unproductive context sure.

If you want to get serious then Watchdogs trounces it as a new IP at launch.

And you know what that means? Absolutely nothing.

Splatoon is great but what kind of discussion do you think we're going to have here?

Movies/ videogames have a high rating tax - the higher the rating the lower the sales.

Wut? The topic is talking about exclusive here it is not a strange topic at all. If u have some problem with it, should not u just skip this topic here?

Those rating does not seems to stop GTa and CoD selling to children here.

Peterc

"Best" is subjective (I agree that Bloodborne is the best), but Splatoon is objectively more successful.

Whats new about Bloodborne?

What unique kind of gameplay does it bring compared to what already exist?

I only heard from this game, thats why i ask :)

Halo isn't a new ip, also it is a good game but not that special. There are much better shooters.

I don't like the gfx about splatoon, but i realy like the idea behind it. It's fresh and new. This is what nintendo does.
Also on the other hand, i like the idea that the game gfx isn't brown/gray again like the most shooters are. I only wanted the game to have gfx more like banjo kazooie/mario/zelda. That kind of art.

@MUWANdo

Banned
First party software sales in general are a bit insane with the Wii U, especially considering the install base.

How many million sellers are there for the Wii U anyway?

Around a dozen, I think... off the top of my head:

Mario Kart
Smash
Splatoon
NSMBU
Mario 3D World
Wind Waker HD
Hyrule Warriors
Mario Party 10
Wii Party U
Nintendo Land

EDIT: I checked, all those games plus New Super Luigi U and Yoshi's Woolly World,

Memory

If that was the case then all Wii U games would have sold well.

Traditionally (some) Nintendo games always have a significantly higher attach ratio regardless of console sales.

Also using your logic the install base of the competition would even out the high number of games released, thus ensure most of their games sell just as well, this isn't the case.

Anyway people are comparing apples to oranges as Nintendo operates differently from MS & Sony.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Anyone saying Bloodborne is more "niche" than Splatoon is really funny stuff. Just as well, saying Splatoon is a "safer" game in terms of selling potential than Bloodborne is funny too.

God Only Knows I love Bloodborne with all my heart and I don't even have a WiiU and Splatoon, but the amount of length some folks trying to downplay its success is just really hilarious.

Don't worry, Miyazaki-Senpai wouldn't feel hurt and need to be protected by the fact that Splatoon is more successful than Bloodborne.

Wait, doesn't the Wii U only have like 12 million units worldwide?

Are you telling me that Splatoon sold to 1/3 of Wii U owners? That's... kind of insane, isn't it?

Lol, already reaching to find reasons to downplay Splatoon's success, huh?

Nah. Melee had a similar attach ratio. What's insane is that Mario Kart 8 is owned by more than 50% of Wii U owners. That may be the best attach ratio of a game for a console or handheld that sold most of its copies outside of bundles. Now THAT'S out of this world.

ASIS

Around a dozen, I think... off the top of my head:

Mario Kart
Smash
Splatoon
NSMBU
Mario 3D World
Wind Waker HD
Hyrule Warriors
Mario Party 10
Wii Party U
Nintendo Land

EDIT: I checked, all those games plus New Super Luigi U and Yoshi's Woolly World,
Yeah, see that isn't normal. Especially considering that Pikmin 3 isn't on this list :(

Yes, which is incredibly sad. It shows none of the first parties have come up with anything of note since the generation started and at this point, they've all had enough time. I can't even think of an upcoming new IP from the first parties I'm excited about, besides horizon but GG are hit n miss. Mostly miss.

Nanashrew

Banned

Not to pile on, but Splatoon had some great marketing, great word of mouth and overall, some good reviews too. The game is genuinely good and incorporates a lot of things traditional shooters have too and able to be played competitively which could help it gain even more traction like it has in Japan and its national tournament. It is huge in Japan, and has captured that market unlike any shooter.

I think someone also said in the financial thread that Splatoon looks to be on track to 6 million at the very least. This is definitely Nintendo's new evergreen title now alongside Mario Kart, Smash, Zelda and others.

RibMan

Most successful first-party IP = Yes. Based on the latest sales data, Splatoon has outsold every new first-party IP (e.g. Bloodborne, Driveclub) and in some cases, Splatoon has outsold old and established properties (e.g. Killzone: Shadowfall, Halo 5) as well. Splatoon makes, without a doubt, the best case for Nintendo to invest in new IP rather than old and established properties.

Best new first-party IP = No. Based on review aggregate websites, Bloodborne has outscored every new first-party IP (e.g. Splatoon, Wonderful 101). Bloodborne is, thus far, the best new first-party IP of the generation.

If you want to strain things in a decidedly narrow and unproductive context sure.

If you want to get serious then Watchdogs trounces it as a new IP at launch.

And you know what that means? Absolutely nothing.

Splatoon is great but what kind of discussion do you think we're going to have here?

Movies/ videogames have a high rating tax - the higher the rating the lower the sales.

Oh, there seems to be plenty to discuss about, as evidenced by the replies. Just maybe not what you want to write or read about.

ChryZ

It's very impressive, especially in regard of the install base. Pretty much every third Wii U owner bought the game!

Most successful first-party IP = Yes. Based on the latest sales data, Splatoon has outsold every new first-party IP (e.g. Bloodborne, Driveclub) and in some cases, Splatoon has outsold old and established properties (e.g. Killzone: Shadowfall, Halo 5) as well. Splatoon makes, without a doubt, the best case for Nintendo to invest in new IP rather than old and established properties.

Best new first-party IP = No. Based on review aggregate websites, Bloodborne has outscored every new first-party IP (e.g. Splatoon, Wonderful 101). Bloodborne is, thus far, the best new first-party IP of the generation.

Not true, mario kart still sells like crazy, and it's not the only one
But it's good for their future that a new IP blew up like that

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Yes, it is, hands down.

A game which a lot of people predicted to sell at STEAM or W101 level, and in the end it outsold Halo 5.

Yes, it is, hands down.

A game which a lot of people predicted to sell at STEAM or W101 level, and in the end it outsold Halo 5.

I said it would sell very well.

I'm not bragging but I just had a good feeling about a shooter by the same company as Mario Kart.

I had a feeling it would catch on.

Not necessarily with the Japanese though.

Still haven't played Splatoon :(

Is it worth picking up for single player alone? Doubt i'd play it online.

That's a toughie.

The singleplayer is very good albeit somewhat short and not much of a story.

I can't say "yes" or "no".

I can say that a lot that probably thought they wouldn't play much online because they don't like online shooters have.

Nightbird

I think what RibMan means is that Splatoon is proof to have new IPs at best made up from scratch instead of trying to put established characters in them, thus just creating tons of spin offs.

And I agree, I'd love to see what Nintendo can do on a higher budget without using established characters.

? Splatoon beat Bloodborne sale number though?

I am mocking the post from Stealthcobra where he was arguing great sales =/= success :p

So, reviews are important now?

Are they even important, when the topic is about the sales? OP didn't even mention reviews at all.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
No it's not the best. Bloodborne scored higher and is the better game. Period.

Nanashrew

Banned
That's a toughie.

The singleplayer is very good albeit somewhat short and not much of a story.

I can't say "yes" or "no".

I can say that a lot that probably thought they wouldn't play much online because they don't like online shooters have.

That's me. I rarely play games online, but Splatoon is the exception and I have had a lot of fun.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
People are comparing BloodBorne to Splatoon? Really? Splatoon has sold like double, and the gap will only increase.

Come on guys. BloodBorne is a success, that's sure. But Splatoon is another planet.

EDIT: Or people talk about quality? Because that's not the point here, and is just a question of tastle. I have both and i enjoy both, but i prefer Splatoon, by a lot.

RibMan

That is precisely my argument. Mario will do numbers but it's preaching to the choir. Splatoon-like investments brings in new audiences in the same way Wii Sports/Brain Training/Wii Fit/Nintendogs did.

oti

Banned
People saying a mod for Dark Souls is better than the FRESHEST game on the planet smh.

I haven't played BB yet but I'm planning to do so. This post exists for comedic reasons. Don't hate me plz.

I hope this means more new IP from Nintendo.

And I hope it means that Sony experiments with fewer grim brunette caucasian dude "realistic" games. Maybe Last Guardian selling well will help, if that ever comes out.

I don't really have any hope for Microsoft any lessons they learned this gen will either be undone when Spencer leaves or if they get out of the console space both of which seem pretty likely sooner or later

Top Bottom