• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, is Splatoon the best, most successful new first party IP this gen?

After the recent financial results?

Yes it is.

5e57d501812314512b001cd6fe5d4532.gif

- fake edit -
only talking about exclusive titles, so let's just skip Minecraft already.

- non fake edit -
sales are at 4.02 million.
Also, it will be fun to bet that this may even prove to be the most successful new IP this gen, period.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Splatoon is the first mainstream shooter in years to actually have something fresh to say.

I really enjoyed my time with it. WIthout going into too many details I found myself in a very unfortunate financial situation and sold most of my electronics and games, and I miss Splatoon by far the most.

I think its one of the Nintendos best games, and really has an energy and sense of fun i have not felt from a game in such a long time. Can't wait to see more from the franchise.

Wil348

I think I remember hearing that Bloodborne sold and reviewed better, but Splatoon is probably next in line so far. Could be wrong though.

Richie

With any luck this will show Nintendo the importance of crafting new IPs and we'll see the birth of several fresh titles on the NX!

Splatoon Kart
Splatoon Tennis
Splatoon Golf
Splatoon Party
Splatoon & Sonic At The Olympic Games

VertPin

Splatoon is also rated E.
Bloodborne (which the title itself is sort of gross) is rated M.

There is def. a reason why sales are split

Nanashrew

Banned
With any luck this will show Nintendo the importance of crafting new IPs and we'll see the birth of several fresh titles on the NX!

Splatoon Kart
Splatoon Tennis
Splatoon Golf
Splatoon Party
Splatoon & Sonic At The Olympic Games

I'm sure we'll see the Inklings, even Callie and Marie show up in other things. They just had a concert and national tournament in Japan with a very emotional, yet very happy Nogami, the producer of the game.

From how happy he was, I have no doubt they they are going to do their all to cultivate an audience for the game and make it bigger and better. I also hope it does make Nintendo realize the importance of taking risk on bigger IPs.

Memory

Isn't Bloodborne second party? It's created by From software with support and publishing of Sony Japan Studio no?

Sadly, probably. Not saying the game isn't fantastic, I'm just saying it's sad that there are so few others I can think of.

The only first party, original IP this generation I can think of that I enjoyed more is Sunset Overdrive, but that's mainly because I'm more of a fan of single player stuff than I am for multiplayer games. Funnily enough, the two games even kind of share a similar punky style. Unfortunately I think SO sold pretty poorly.

The only upcoming first party new IP I'm excited for is that Horizon: Zero Dawn game for the PS4. I'll probably finally buy the console once that game comes out.

KevinCow

Banned
Maybe you could share the recent financial results in the OP so we can understand the context of this thread without having to go searching for other threads?

@MUWANdo

Banned
How much did Titanfall sell in the end? Do we still not know? I suspect it sold at least as well as Splatoon.

EDIT: not first-party, but even so...

Isn't Bloodborne second party? It's created by From software with support and publishing of Sony Japan Studio no?

Sony considers it a first party title. They own the IP, funded it, and jointly developed it with Japan Studio. I'd say it's more of a first party title than something like Ratchet and Clank.

It's second party in the sense that Sony doesn't own FROM Software.

Auctopus

Well, There's bloodborne. But splatoon is brilliant in pursuing one of the most thematically cohesive MP experiences I've played since SWAT 4. It does a brilliant job at making the world both charming and believable even on the dark background of the apocalypse. There are trends, constructions, renovations, and well conveyed sense of culture that the player actively interacts with (something that is HUGE to me in my preferred settings, many games fail on this premise).

It's not perfect but as the NicoNico Stream that pulled in 400K viewers has shown, it has massive potential as even an esport. I thoroughly anticipate the sequel.

Richie

I'm sure we'll see the Inklings, even Callie and Marie show up in other things. They just had a concert and national tournament in Japan with a very emotional, yet very happy Nogami, the producer of the game.

From how happy he was, I have no doubt they they are going to do their all to cultivate an audience for the game and make it bigger and better. I also hope it does make Nintendo realize the importance of taking risk on bigger IPs.

Oh, I'm joking around, but yes, it's practically guaranteed they're gonna expand the IP to give it as big a presence as possible; I wouldn't be surprised if it was among the first Nintendo franchises to benefit from the hinted TV shows/movies that are on the works, and the Universal Studios deal too.

That Nogami moment was awesome, he was driven to tears of joy from how superbly received the game was. Warmed my heart like crazy.

Also, Inkling in Smash is a given for the future but I wouldn't be surprised to see the Squid Sisters making it over too. That concert of theirs was unbelievable in the best way possible.

-MB-

It is clear, the 3DS can use a Splatoon game of it's own to spur sales on.
And Splatoon can use the bigger install base too, to grow in prominence even more.

Vice

Splatoon is also rated E.
Bloodborne (which the title itself is sort of gross) is rated M.

There is def. a reason why sales are split

M rated games do very well in terms of sales. And, Bloodborne is on a console with a much larger base to make those sales to.

How much did Titanfall sell in the end? Do we still not know? I suspect it sold at least as well as Splatoon.

Not first party. But with a years worth of sales and discounts on top of 2 additional versions over splatoon, I would imagine it has outsold it easily

Top Bottom