• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So It's September 11th Today....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Just got back from the city for the 9/11 Anniversary.

Man, nothing like being in the city on this day. We were crossing the George Washington right before they were closing down for the moment of silence for 9/11, giant flag fluttering in the wind, the memories as vivid as if it were yesterday.

For as long as I live, I don't think I'll ever get over it. But man I do love this country. :salute:

OchreHand

The city tonight definitely had more visitors than usual, normally it's pretty quiet around Ground Zero. Plus they finally have the beam of lights which look amazing.

Also I'm pretty impressed at the rate they are re-building, for a while the development stagnated and now it has accelerated. My apartment building (35 floors) overlooks the area and Wold Trade construction has finally gotten taller than us..

Lamel

Banned
OchreHand said:
The city tonight definitely had more visitors than usual, normally it's pretty quiet around Ground Zero. Plus they finally have the beam of lights which look amazing.

Also I'm pretty impressed at the rate they are re-building, for a while the development stagnated and now it has accelerated. My apartment building (35 floors) overlooks the area and Wold Trade construction has finally gotten taller than us..

You can see the beams from my house in NJ, and we are in the suburbs, 30 mins south of NYC if you take the turnpike. Surreal as they cross the clouds and brighten up.

Magnus

11th grade in High School, classes were effectively on hold for the day, we watched on TVs in the library, what a surreal experience.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This could just be me but I don't understand people that watch MSNBC's live coverage replayed. I understand some people deal differently but this just upsets me. I really just don't get it.

I was in grade 4. I remember playing neopets on the computer and my french teacher is in tears, telling us that something badly happened. She was crying because one of her family was in the building, working there. I really didn't care, been a cynic most of my life.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I just saw the end of the spotlight tribute.

I live just at the water's edge across from WTC, so it was an amazing view. Clear and eerie and there were lots of people out paying respects.

I go through there every day and it still blows my mind that everything happened right there.

Did anyone see what was going on inside the spotlights? From a distance it looked like there were sparkles, but as we got closer, it seemed as there were thousands of birds flying inside and around the spotlights. Anyone close enough to see what it really was?

OchreHand

El_TigroX said:
I just saw the end of the spotlight tribute.

Did anyone see what was going on inside the spotlights? From a distance it looked like there were sparkles, but as we got closer, it seemed as there were thousands of birds flying inside and around the spotlights. Anyone close enough to see what it really was?

I actually thought it was birds flying into the light. Very surreal.. Someone next to me said it was sparkles though

Edit: they are birds.

091210lights2.jpg

El Sloth

Banned
Amir0x said:
Just got back from the city for the 9/11 Anniversary.

Man, nothing like being in the city on this day. We were crossing the George Washington right before they were closing down for the moment of silence for 9/11, giant flag fluttering in the wind, the memories as vivid as if it were yesterday.

For as long as I live, I don't think I'll ever get over it. But man I do love this country. :salute:

You were lucky that you didn't actually go down to the WTC site then. Crazies were out in full force, fights breaking out all over the places, and weird heavily decorated jesus trucks with horns blaring all over the place(although the cops did put a stop to the horn blaring farely quickly).

Edit2: Also, I've never seen so many NYPD police officers in one place. It was kinda of surreal.

OchreHand said:
I actually thought it was birds flying into the light. Very surreal.. Someone next to me said it was sparkles though

Edit: they are birds.

091210lights2.jpg
Yeah that was surreal, spent the night in the East Village and from there it looked like something out of a particle effect demo reel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom