• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So now that some time has passed....Best PC Controller?

Mit-

Wireless 360 although it kind of sucks.

The dongles are dodgy. First I bought an off brand one. "It works perfect!" reviews said. Unfortunately most people don't have friends, and it was incapable of keeping 4 controllers synced at once.

I now have an official one that had a common problem with something coming undone on the inside, which I soldered back together myself to fix. However this dongle has issues with occasionally firing off directions/buttons on random controllers.

Also, the controllers themselves are of varying quality. I have two white ones that work great aside from their aging joysticks. I have two practically brand new black controllers that have drifting analog sticks. And they only drift because most PC games don't program dead zones into their Xinput controller profiles, and what was acceptable stick drift on 360 is not acceptable on Xinput PC.

In short, it sucks, and there are no great options available. Wired is not an option. If I'm playing with a controller I'm not sitting at my computer desk. Not to mention it's a wiring nightmare for 4 players. Other wireless options either don't support four players, require me to dedicate a Bluetooth adapter to them (or multiple adapters for 4), and usually don't natively support Xinput, so I can't just connect and play damn near any game with zero configuration. For these reasons 360 wireless still wins despite its dodgy quality.

I really hope Steam controllers are able to easily connect 4 controllers wirelessly and instantly work with any Xinput game.

Zia

DS4 is the only correct answer.

Nah.

Was planning on switching to the DS4, but I can't stand to train myself on it. Same ergonomic issues the DS3 had. Fine for PS4, but on PC the 360 controller still trumps it.

So, is the XB1 controller as versatile as the 360 yet? Does it plug-and-play with most (or ideally all) controller-ready games?

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Still a big fan of the Razer Sabertooth:

razer-sabertooth-gallery-3.png

Like a wired 360 pad only a bit different (and some, myself included, would say it's even better).

The PlayStation controller's stick placement makes 0 sense to me.

This is where people fall down in these conversations. There's no "sense" to make of it. It's a controller; a piece of plastic being used to abstract control in a virtual world. The only sticks that wouldn't make "sense" would be ones that required you to contort your hands in unnatural positions. Sony and MS have symmetrical and asymmetrical designs, but neither makes any more "sense" than the other. You're just more used to one.

But alas, debate about stick placement is pointless.

BraXzy

The Xbox One co troller for me. The X360 works fine but just isn't up to par with the X1 pad now.

I still don't get the excessive love for the Wii U pro controllers though.. I have two, and whilst they are good, there's nothing outstanding about them. They are too light feeling for me personally.

SerTapTap

The Xbox One co troller for me. The X360 works fine but just isn't up to par with the X1 pad now.

I still don't get the excessive love for the Wii U pro controllers though.. I have two, and whilst they are good, there's nothing outstanding about them. They are too light feeling for me personally.

The d pad is classic Nintendo and easily one of the best. I can't decide between Vita (size aside) or Wii U pro, myself. DS4 shoulda been clicky like Vita. Also, the battery life is crazy. For me they're perfect other than all top buttons and the weight, too light like a Sixaxis.

Edit:
DS4 tool is awesome but I agree. But DS4 Tool!

Am I alone in DS4 tool disconnecting/reverting to directinput after a random period of minutes even when wired? What version do you use? Maybe my USB port is the problem not the drivers?

phanphare

Banned

stick placement, ergonomics, dpad, and battery life

for me it's like a 360 controller except better in every regard. my 360 pad now sits unused in a drawer.

actually if someone wants a wireless 360 controller with the usb dongle PM me. I'm not sure what the going rate for one is but I'll be sure to sell at a fair price.

Apath

DualShock 4:
  1. Wireless without need for a dongle -- assuming your computer has bluetooth built in, the DS4 works perfectly with the 360 controller drivers and DS4Tools
  2. Touch Pad -- pretty damn janky, but it's still nice to be able to control the computer from your controller.
  3. Customizable color strip -- not a big deal, but I like being able to customize the colors of full and empty battery life. It's very easy to keep track as it changes from one color to the other.
  4. Overall well designed -- just an overall well designed controller.

The main issues are battery life and that it isn't natively supported, as it requires the use of DS4Tools to really work. If the XBOX 360 controller or XBOX One controller worked without the need for a dongle or a wire, I would probably go with one of those as the DS4's lack of native support and poor battery life does not outweigh the advantages in design.

So, is the XB1 controller as versatile as the 360 yet? Does it plug-and-play with most (or ideally all) controller-ready games?

I'm pretty sure games just detect it as a 360 pad. It's definitely plug and play even for games that came out long before it, such as GTA 4. I'd say it's the same as a 360 pad in terms of it working on PC.

Tain

XB1 all around for me. No hassle for xinput compatibility, best d-pad, best triggers, best rumble. Can't use it wirelessly yet, which is a bummer.

mkenyon

Banned
qKwllLM.png

Yeah yeah, I know. But still.
Logitech F710:

f710-gaming-gamepad-images.png

Better d-pad than most alternatives, my preferred stick layout, directinput/xinput switch, much better triggers than any DS.
I've often thought about picking one up, but I remember reading some bad comments about it. Definitely going to get one now.

shandy706

I won't abandon my 3 x wireless 360 controllers setup until something better comes along.

They sit on the end table next to the bed and it is as simple as picking them up and pressing the button to turn them on. Instant connection and playing.

No wires, no fuss, no need to put them away or move them.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The d pad is classic Nintendo and easily one of the best. I can't decide between Vita (size aside) or Wii U pro, myself. DS4 shoulda been clicky like Vita. Also, the battery life is crazy. For me they're perfect other than all top buttons and the weight, too light like a Sixaxis.

Edit:

Am I alone in DS4 tool disconnecting/reverting to directinput after a random period of minutes even when wired? What version do you use? Maybe my USB port is the problem not the drivers?

On WIndows 8.1x64. I don't have to do the force install on the driver but obviously you installed the driver right? Then you open the scpserver or whatevet that exe is called.

So in this order

1-Install the scp driver
2- Plug in DS4
3-Start the scpserver exe

It will detect. I've had zero issues since I started using it. Not disconnects. I love being able to set the color of the light bar too. Any color I want.

LiquidMetal14

Logitech F710:

f710-gaming-gamepad-images.png

Better d-pad than most alternatives, my preferred stick layout, directinput/xinput switch, much better triggers than any DS.

A friend has this pad and loves it but the d-pad is too soft at times. The DS4 d-pad is amazing in comparison. I'm not saying that d-pad is crap so don't get excited!

Pejo

It has basic tilt functionality (Tilt Up, Down, Left, Right).

Feel free to PM me if you run into any install issues. It should be pretty straightforward. Just remember to click on "Hide DS4 Controller" in settings once you set it all up.

Awesome, thanks for the tips, might take you up on the PM offer. I ordered one of these USB Bluetooth Dongles which reviewed well on Amazon, and a few of the reviews pointed out that it worked well with a DS4. Tonight I'll just try it wired though.

SerTapTap

On WIndows 8.1x64. I don't have to do the force install on the driver but obviously you installed the driver right? Then you open the scpserver or whatevet that exe is called.

So in this order

1-Install the scp driver
2- Plug in DS4
3-Start the scpserver exe

It will detect. I've had zero issues since I started using it. Not disconnects. I love being able to set the color of the light bar too. Any color I want.

My USB port must be acting up or something. Controller will work and LED goes blue, then at some point mid gameplay it stops responding and the LED is orange (the way it is when plugged in to a driverless PC). And in most games I have to completely end the game to get it to recognize a re-plugged in controller so its' a huge issue.

Probably USB, I have the worst luck with this stuff. I thought my 360 pad was dying, turns out my PCIe to USB adapter was failing. Also I found my keyboard and mouse can't use the same USB ports because they take too much power. I love USB but it friggin' hates me. All different ports, too.

Nabs

DS4 tool is awesome but I agree. But DS4 Tool!

You guys really need to upgrade from DS4Tool. That thing hasn't been updated in months.

I personally use this one, but DSDCS is also a fine choice. Both developers are very active in their threads. They answer questions and add new features based on feedback.

LiquidMetal14

My USB port must be acting up or something. Controller will work and LED goes blue, then at some point mid gameplay it stops responding and the LED is orange (the way it is when plugged in to a driverless PC). And in most games I have to completely end the game to get it to recognize a re-plugged in controller so its' a huge issue.

Probably USB, I have the worst luck with this stuff. I thought my 360 pad was dying, turns out my PCIe to USB adapter was failing. Also I found my keyboard and mouse can't use the same USB ports because they take too much power. I love USB but it friggin' hates me. All different ports, too.

You using a 2.0 or 3.0 port? I bet it is your USB port. Do this, when you switch it to a different port, re-install the driver again. Add me on Steam if you want.

Durante

I've often thought about picking one up, but I remember reading some bad comments about it. Definitely going to get one now.
Do note that what others have commented earlier in the thread is true: the triggers are rather stiff. I don't play games which require you to hold them for a long time, but they might not be particularly suitable for those. They do work well for triggering things ;)

Other than that, it's a great all-round controller, particularly if you prefer the DS stick placement.

A friend has this pad and loves it but the d-pad is too soft at times. The DS4 d-pad is amazing in comparison. I'm not saying that d-pad is crap so don't get excited!
I haven't actually tried the DS4 d-pad, but I heard it isn't as good as the Vita one. Since I'd also place the Logitech d-pad just very slightly below that one I'm not sure what to think.

LiquidMetal14

You guys really need to upgrade from DS4Tool. That thing hasn't been updated in months.

I personally use this one, but DSDCS is also a fine choice. Both developers are very active in their threads. They answer questions and add new features based on feedback.

Thanks a ton. I know what I'm doing today then.

LiquidMetal14

I haven't actually tried the DS4 d-pad, but I heard it isn't as good as the Vita one. Since I'd also place the Logitech d-pad just very slightly below that one I'm not sure what to think.

The Vita d-pad is the best I've ever used so you definitely heard right. The DS4 d pad is very tactile and it has a nice press to execute feel. I mean when I hit it, it feels very responsive and easy to do what I want to do. If that makes sense ><

ChipotIe

Banned
Still a big fan of the Razer Sabertooth:

Like a wired 360 pad only a bit different (and some, myself included, would say it's even better).

Fuck this controller. That screw at the base was an added point of failure that it didn't need. My kid decided to grab it and dropped it just 2 and a half feet off the ground landing on the screw and that caused the plastic and screw to separate from the pins, making the controller randomly turn off and on for a few days until the cord slipped out entirely while the two sides were still 'screwed in'. Razer doesn't list the appropriate parts as valid replacement parts and it's been weeks since I contacted them about getting them replaced and they have yet to respond and even though this is a simple fix (I just needed a replacement cable since that's where the break was) the time it's taking to get the issue resolved forced me to buy a new regular 360 controller in the mean time.

WITH THAT SAID THOUGH

Because Microsoft developed the OS their controllers have near universal support and I have to say I like them quite a bit and believe that they are a minimum requirement to PC gaming along with the mouse and keyboard. The Sabertooth was my favorite because of the tactile feedback, size, and weight but ever since mine broke in a non catastrophic way and weeks later it's still not usable because the company decided to use a proprietary USB connector that they do not offer simple ways to replace id have to say the basic corded remote remains the best.

DS4 is my favorite controller ever. Works perfectly for any game from any era. I've had zero issues using it over USB with the unofficial drivers.

It's a matter of preference, I think. The DS4 one isn't as clicky, which I prefer. There's definitely some feedback when it's pressed down, but it has a little more give. It's the best d-pad ever IMO.

SerTapTap

You using a 2.0 or 3.0 port? I bet it is your USB port. Do this, when you switch it to a different port, re-install the driver again. Add me on Steam if you want.

Steam in profile. It's a USB 2.0, and it's one of the front ones so it's not powered. I'll try the front USB 3.0 ports or the back ones.

KHlover

Banned
WiiU Pro Controller /w Mayflash Adapter. Insane battery life, ergonomics and I really dig the layout. Switching between XInput and DirectInput is nice, especially since the adapter registers up to four controllers at the same time in DirectInput mode.

Apath

Tempting, but why upgrade when DS4 Tool works perfectly fine?

kiriin

I'm actually glad to hear someone comment on the F710. I have always been a little hesitant to buy Logitech controllers since the old Windows XP days and the generally awful build quality of their devices back then, but the F710 looks really solid. How's the game compatibility and build quality?

Build quality imo is probably the only criticism I have with the f710. Can't compare it to the DS4 or X1 but then again I got it for pretty cheap. Still a great alternative to the X360 controller.

Since the drivers came out, probably the xbone controller. It requires literally zero fiddling whatsoever to work with virtually every game out there, and it is a marked improvement of my previous favorite controller, the 360 pad.

Mesoian

Transforming D pad is a brilliant idea completely ruined because the d pad itself is still awful. Yeah it's a convertible but you're still driving a Yugo

That d-pad itself works magnificently. But that doesn't matter when 3 weeks of steady use will cause you to put your thumb through the silly thing.

Top Bottom