• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So now that some time has passed....Best PC Controller?

Wii U pro controller

it's like the 360 controller except with better ergonomics, dpad, stick placement, and battery life

the Wii U pro

hmmm. I'll have to look into this. I've never liked the way Sony does D-pads.

and I thought I'd never find a use for the built-in bluetooth on my mobo.

NIN90

X1 controller is probably the best right now but the sticks are a little too loose.
Wii U Pro Controller would be the GOAT if it wasn't such a pain in the ass to get working. The Mayflash adapter don't count because it fucks with the button layout.

I like the DS4, especially for couch gaming. I just wish it had more straight forward drivers. Yeah, I know it isn't that hard to set up, but you'd be surprised how many people can't manage it.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Another vote for the Wii U Pro pad, although games that require analog triggers will be a problem. That being said, most games treat the triggers as buttons anyway, so they end up feeling better to use.

Also, the battery life is astounding. I use it constantly and rarely ever see that low battery light kick on.

atr0cious

Wii U Pro, specifically because Nintendo continues to set the dpad standard. And the mayflash adapter makes using it a breeze.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Also, the battery life is astounding. I use it constantly and rarely ever see that low battery light kick on.

Wii U Pro Controller is hands down the KING of battery life this gen. Like second place (XBONE) isn't even close. DS4, despite being my system/controller of choice, is awful in the battery life department. Really wish Sony would release a newer model with a beefed up battery.

I'd actually say Wii U Pro Controller.

360 is otherwise better but its d-pad is horrible. Wii U's Pro Controller feels almost as good otherwise, and the d-pad is good.
The downside though, is that it's slightly harder to get to work on PC. Not that hard though, and there's an adapter you can buy if you want.

edit:
And yeah the battery is just fantastic. It is actually dozens of hours in real use.

Pejo

Gold Member
It all depends on what you need. There is no definitive best. The 360, Xbone, and PS4 controllers are all great choices.

I couldn't wait for the Xbone drivers, so I upgraded to a DS4 earlier in the Summer. It fits what I need best. Good D-Pad, lots of extra buttons for shortcuts (touchpad button serves as push-to-talk), and the ability to emulate the mouse is a huge plus. Btw, DS4Tool is old now, and there are far better options out there. Here's one.

Quoting for bolded, I somehow missed this earlier. So theoretically through the new tools that allow mouse use on the touchpad, and a little black magic, I could map the Wii IR movements to the DS4 touchpad in Dolphin? This could be a game changer for me....

Mupod

I like my Razer 360 pad, since I was lucky enough to get one that didn't fall apart in two months.

I'm very very interested in getting my Wii U pro controller up and running though.

vvise

Love using my Ds3 with a wrapper to make it pretend to be a 360 controller. Works with everything and feels like home.

Just need to figure out bluetooth settings on w8.1.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Not that hard though, and there's an adapter you can buy if you want.

At $20, I'd almost call the Mayflash adapter as mandatory as the 360 wireless dongle. Between the negligible cost and how easy it makes connecting (i.e. nothing) I can't see the other ways (specific BT dongles with custom drivers) as being worth the $20 savings.

robotrock

Banned
Only one true answer, every other answer is wrong

Playstation DS4

5. Works wirelessly because this is 2014, (** cough ** Xbox One controller, get out).

How is the wireless support these days? I haven't used it since Janurary, but the wireless was super janky back then. My connection would keep on dropping out and such. I had assumed it was a problem with my bluetooth dongle, but I noticed many people encountering the same problems that I had.

X1 controller is probably the best right now but the sticks are a little too loose.
Wii U Pro Controller would be the GOAT if it wasn't such a pain in the ass to get working. The Mayflash adapter don't count because it fucks with the button layout.

Doesn't fuck with anything, there's both direct and xinput on the adapter. The buttons are just mapped 1:1 in dx mode and it's more of an annoyance that you get over after a few minutes than a deal breaker.

At the least, I'm enjoying the hell out of the battery life.

Nabs

Quoting for bolded, I somehow missed this earlier. So theoretically through the new tools that allow mouse use on the touchpad, and a little black magic, I could map the Wii U IR movements to the DS4 touchpad in Dolphin? This could be a game changer for me....

That's how I play Super Mario Galaxy 2. While it's not perfect and a complete replacement of the wiimote or mouse, it serves its purpose well.

Xbox 360 gamepad is my main controller simply because it is the standard as far as compatibility and it is still a great gamepad.
The DS4 is a great controller but you still need to mess about with 3rd party tools to get it to work with some games.
The Xbox One pad is a huge downgrade from the 360 controller and DS4 so its not even an option for me.

How is the wireless support these days? I haven't used it since Janurary, but the wireless was super janky back then. My connection would keep on dropping out and such. I had assumed it was a problem with my bluetooth dongle, but I noticed many people encountering the same problems that I had.

What dongle do you use? I have been using the same one for 3 years with 0 problems, first with DS3 wrapper and now with the PS4 one, im using a random ASUS one that was around $10.... Maybe it will be worth it for you to pick one up, you will use it a TON.

MaLDo

360dpad.jpg

500x_xbox360controller.jpg

Nabs

What dongle do you use? I have been using the same one for 3 years with 0 problems, first with DS3 wrapper and now with the PS4 one, im using a random ASUS one that was around $10.... Maybe it will be worth it for you to pick one up, you will use it a TON.

Can you link that one? My current adapter is complete shit.

AlexBasch

I'm using an old DS3 that I scooped from a sale but wanted to get a proper controller without dealing with those drivers.

Is the XBO controller retrocompatible or whatever the word is with old games? It's a bit more pricier than the 360 one, but I really, really like it. It's also mini-USB connected only, right?

iNvid02

it was the wireless 360 pad with improved dpad but having played with the razer sabertooth I can't go back.

Thought the ps4 pad was a great improvement but that stick placement feels wrong still , haven't tried the xb1 pad yet

robotrock

Banned

Not sure what it is specifically. Got it pretty long ago for around the same price range as yours. Looking up ASUS dongles right now!

Orayn

Quoting for bolded, I somehow missed this earlier. So theoretically through the new tools that allow mouse use on the touchpad, and a little black magic, I could map the Wii IR movements to the DS4 touchpad in Dolphin? This could be a game changer for me....

I think that would work, yeah. Configure Dolphin to use the mouse cursor for the IR pointer, then enable controlling the mouse with the DS4 touch pad. Pretty straightforward.

Xeroblade

XB1 controller and I don't even own a XB1. Thats how awesome the controller is, cant say much about the system itself though.

SerTapTap

Yup. If the Dpad was more durable, it'd be the best controller ever.

But it's not, so it's not.

Transforming D pad is a brilliant idea completely ruined because the d pad itself is still awful. Yeah it's a convertible but you're still driving a Yugo

Pejo

Gold Member
it was the wireless 360 pad with improved dpad but having played with the razer sabertooth I can't go back.

Thought the ps4 pad was a great improvement but that stick placement feels wrong still , haven't tried the xb1 pad yet

This is the first I've heard of the Sabertooth, but dang, that 80 dollar pricetag.

I love the DS4. I'm sure at some point I'll install the software to make it work on my PC. However, for now, the ease of plugging in my 360 controller keeps that as my main. It's a very good controller even if I've come to like the DS4 more.

Edit: Surprised at the number of X1 controller folks. I don't know that I could ever get used to those shoulder buttons.

Pejo

Gold Member
That's how I play Super Mario Galaxy 2. While it's not perfect and a complete replacement of the wiimote or mouse, it serves its purpose well.

I think that would work, yeah. Configure Dolphin to use the mouse cursor for the IR pointer, then enable controlling the mouse with the DS4 touch pad. Pretty straightforward.

Thanks guys, I already have a DS4 with my PS4 so I'm going to give this a try when I get home for sure, and if it works well, i'll buy a 2nd pad just for my PC. I'm probably asking a bit much here, but does the driver tool support the gyroscope?

GoodlifeX

Xbox 360 controller is in my opinion the best controller ever made. And I hold the gamecube controller and dreamcast controller in high regard.

Curious to try the XB1 controller.

The PlayStation controller's stick placement makes 0 sense to me.

Xbox 360 controller is in my opinion the best controller ever made. And I hold the gamecube controller and dreamcast controller in high regard.

Curious to try the XB1 controller.

Basically, imagine a 360 controller with wider triggers and a DPad that clicks nicely instead of being mushy, it's just that good.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
360 pad is still used most but DS4 is climbing. It would be great to get a native DS4 controller that just is plug and play like the 360 pad.

Duxxy3

Wired - XB1
Wireless - 360

Don't have PS3/PS4 on there because they are not simple to set up, and the button prompts are wrong.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I use an XB1 controller. It's great but you really can't go wrong with either XB controller.

Should have dusted that launch PS4 from your closet and experienced another amazing controller.

And the DS4 has awesome touch pad controls that work with a lot of PC games. I use it a lot and that is absolutely a viable thing to use on PC. Move like a mouse and click on the touch pad for....well....clicking lol

Nabs

Thanks guys, I already have a DS4 with my PS4 so I'm going to give this a try when I get home for sure, and if it works well, i'll buy a 2nd pad just for my PC. I'm probably asking a bit much here, but does the driver tool support the gyroscope?

It has basic tilt functionality (Tilt Up, Down, Left, Right).

Feel free to PM me if you run into any install issues. It should be pretty straightforward. Just remember to click on "Hide DS4 Controller" in settings once you set it all up.

Top Bottom