• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So the consensus these days is that no one really 'won' this generation, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shtof

Clearly, Nintendo won.

Nintendo clearly and decisively won

Cosigned. Can't knock how successful the Wii was.

It seems you did not understand the point I was making. If we look at the position Nintendo got themselves into towards the end of gen 7 and the start of gen 8, what exactly did they win? It's like the 300 spartans, they won the battle but lost their lives.

entremet

The problem is that people are using subjective metrics for a question that has been answered objectively for ages.

gemoran4

Did they? They were irrelevant in the industry for the entire generation and once the casuals left, for whatever reason it was, they've been struggling without the help of the rest of the industry and dedicated gamers.

Yes. Just because Nintendo did a terrible job capitalizing on the success of the Wii and lost their market doesn't mean the Wii itself didn't win that gen.. also it had the most consoles sold (though who knows if that will hold up by the time the PS3 and 360 are discontinued)

Derrick01

Banned
I highly doubt we'd have seen something like Kinect or Move pushed this past gen if not for the Wii's early success, I don't consider that irrelevant - they caused their competitors to react.

How many games did the Wii get that were on every other major platform? That's what I mean by irrelevant. They were ignored by gamers and publishers alike despite their runaway success, and it's killing them slowly now.

Steel

Banned
A bunch of people often post how the Wii's attach rate is actually not that bad - anyone have the numbers?

I'd be interested in seeing numbers as well. I recall seeing something that said the WII's first party offerings waay outsold their sony and microsoft counterparts.

gogogow

This is it in a nutshell. They won because they had that precision strike on casuals but as casual people do, they've already moved on to the new trend and left nintendo high a dry. The wii won in sales but it probably wasn't worth it in the long run.

Yeah, all those billions earned, definitely not worth it...

The Wii won in sales and in profits.

DJIzana

Definitely Nintendo won. People may not have liked how they appealed to the casuals so much but clearly the sales numbers don't lie.

flkraven

I agree that no console technically won, considering they are all so close sales-wise. However, I think Microsoft and Nintendo are very happy with how they did while Sony is disappointed (even though they all sold a bunch).

N.Domixis

Banned
Sony recovered admirably, but they still ended as a close third place. This gen was a loss for them, going from 90% during the PS2 days to this. The Xbox went from being a fridge to the most popular development console and the de-facto word for console gaming.
The silver lining for Sony, is that their arrogance and pride made the PS4 into exactly what everyone wanted, while MS fumbled horribly, looking far too ahead regarding media and ownership.
Lol did you forgot the rest of the world exists? It is only the defacto word for gaming in the us and uk, everywhere else it's either Sony and Nintendo.

braves01

Banned
A bunch of people often post how the Wii's attach rate is actually not that bad - anyone have the numbers?

In addition to attach rate figures, if anyone knows how much profit each of the big 3 made last gen that would be interesting too (gaming division only for sony and ms of course).

abunai

Nobody wants to admit that all it took was a glorified Gamecube and a fresh take on motion controls to win the generation

And to be honest, if your head isn't too deep in any company's asshole and you own various systems, then you've won as well; open-minded gamers with the chance to play on all major platforms had many memorable and wonderful games to play

Gonna agree with this, pretty much.

Sales was always the defining characteristic of a 'winning' console; people trying to move the goal posts because they didn't like how casual the wii was (despite the load of good games on the system).

Personal taste is another thing.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The problem is that people are using subjective metrics for a question that has been answered objectively for ages.

There are other objective measures like consumer intent and brand reputation that are important considerations if you want "winning" to be meaningful in a broader economic/business sense. If you just want to compare three numbers representing sales, then fine, but nobody needs a thread or discussion about that.

Sothpaw

Microsoft was up against the PS2 and completely turned the momentum. I give the victory to MS given how they were equal Sony's previously massive market share.

Nintendo sold the most units but their gimmick fizzled out and they are completely fucked now.

jett

D-Member
Nintendo won in the end. They may have fallen so much from doing not much at the end, but there is no denial how much they were ahead this generation.

They won for four years. Then the Wii brand eroded into irrelevancy.
Xbox gained considerable foothold in America and mindshare overall.
PS3 managed to turn a dreadful situation around and has been a more consistent performer worldwide, although still well below it's predecessor.

entremet

It seems you did not understand the point I was making. If we look at the position Nintendo got themselves into towards the end of gen 7 and the start of gen 8, what exactly did they win? It's like the 300 spartans, they won the battle but lost their lives.
That's irrelevant to the question asked.

v1lla21

Nintendo. I believe they also won when it comes to 1st party games. I had more fun with those than I did with MS and Sony's offerings.

88random

Well, there is a lot of criterions. In terms of sales it's Nintendo. In terms of games and overall longetivity, it's probably Sony. They they also won the format war.

Porcile

Slightly confused logic here. So Sony didn't win the PS2/GC/XB era because PS3 was a bit of a disaster? Nintendo won with Wii. It can't be denied.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
No chance and it never will. It just completely fell off whereas the PS2 sold 50mil or something after PS3 release.

Wii is nowhere near PS2 levels domination. It just sold a lot of casual software to non-gamers.

This is a very important consideration in any discussion of the Wii's success. If you do a very simple segmentation analysis of Wii buyers, there are the Nintendo core/enduring gamers, which make up a small fraction of the total sales. Then there are people who got interested in it because it was the mainstream hotness, like Tickle-Me Elmo. Those people didn't buy core software en masse and they didn't stay interested in gaming long enough to become new core customers. Importantly, they didn't become WiiU owners.

Sorian

Banned
Yeah, all those billions earned, definitely not worth it...

The Wii won in sales and in profits.

Taking a lump sum of money now at the expense of future endeavors is a choice only a fool would make. Let's not add that sarcastic bites to our posts.

A great big pile of money? Which is more than Sony or MS can say.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
If you asked this a few years ago I would say Nintendo without question.

However, the Wii's sales fell off a lot, and their momentum didn't carry over into next-gen. It seems like the PS4 and XB1 will have a much better start, and the PS3 and 360 ended up much closer in sales to the Wii than I would have ever expected back then.

I think you could make a good case for any of the three IMO.

This post nails it, considering the sheer length of this generation its hard to hand it to NIntendo despite their dominating performance at the start.

With emerging market sales there's a very real possibility that PS3 will eventually overtake Wii before discontinuation.

braves01

Banned

You asked who won the gen, not who placed themselves in the best position to win next gen. In that case, yeah, then Nintendo scored a pyrrhic victory.

Steel

Banned

I think the point here is not just the sales numbers. Neither sony or microsoft came out in the green this gen, nintendo did.

Steam won.

Came into this generation as a nothing, but now the biggest momentum in the gaming industry coming into the next generation threatening the console space with Steambox.

Sothpaw

Taking a lump sum of money now at the expense of future endeavors is a choice only a fool would make. Let's not add that sarcastic bites to our posts.

Actually a lump of money now is worth more than "future endeavors." The problem is the WiiU is a massive pile of shit.

Lol did you forgot the rest of the world exists? It is only the defacto word for gaming in the us and uk, everywhere else it's either Sony and Nintendo.

Hey, I grew up in Argentina and lived in Switzerland. But market wise, the US is the biggest one. Everywhere else is peanuts, and you're fooling yourself thinking anything but continental europe and the US matters. Japan shrunk last gen due to costs and handhelds.
This gen? We will have to see how big of a role Brazil plays. I will admit the MS coup of producing Xbones locally was brilliant. Sony has to step up, or they might miss the biggest emerging market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom