• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So, when do you expect PS5 and the Xbox One successor tba? And what specs?

newbong95

Whats stopping microsoft to license xbox os to oems after scorpio ? It could help win 10 games situation compared to steam .

LordofPwn

I bet they announce PS5 in February 2019, devs get to do dev stuff at GDC, Show the box and lineup at E3. Release before Black Friday.

If Scorpio flops they could push back for Fall 2020. If Scorpio is a new gen and looks to do well it could force Sony's hand to try and go Fall 2018 though I think that would be a mistake.

AmyS

I'm expecting 2020

Ryzen CPU (4 cores, 8 threads, high clocks)
32gb HBM2 RAM with a ton of bandwidth
12-15tflop GPU

fIc1bb8.jpg

AMD Gray Hawk 7nm APUs With Zen+ Cores Launching In 2019 – Feature 4 Cores, 8 Threads And Power As Low As 10W

http://wccftech.com/amd-gray-hawk-zen-7nm-apu/

My guess:

PS5 - 2020
Zen+ CPU architecture (8 cores, 16 threads, reasonable clocks)
32gm HBM2 @ 1.2tb/sec bandwidth
15-18tflop GPU

Javin98

Banned
Goddamn it, AmyS, you dragged me into this prediction again! :p

Here's what I'm predicting now:

PS5 release in late 2020
Zen+ CPU (8 cores, 16 threads, 2.4 GHz)
Navi 14+TFlops GPU
7nm fabrication process
40GB HBM+ with 1TB/s bandwidth

I will most likely revise my predictions at the end of this year after the release of Zen, Vega and GTX 1080 Ti, possibly even the 1100 series. Hell, I'm planning to start a thread about it then. No offense, OP, but I feel the OP was lacking in detail. :p

wapplew

Please, no more AMD console until they prove worthy.
It's suck console have to tie with this behind the curve tech company.

I expect them about five years post release in terms of announcement.

As for hardware? CPU's seems to be the choke point this gen. If AMD is what they use going forward, I can see them ether going for a faster CPU, or a faster APU, tech depending.

StereoVsn

PS5 should be out by the end of 2019 with whatever tech Sony manages to get in there and keep the price at $399 level without losing money (or at least draw even with PS+ or a game).

It will be fully backwards compatible but as far as OG/Slim pS4 some games won't have that support but the majority still will for a year or two (Pro Slim will be default model by then).

farmerboy

Whatever it is, in Cerny I trust.

2020 makes sense. Add another year if thats what it takes to make a worthwhile leap in tech

AmyS

I also predict:
a refined Star Citizen will be a launch game on both next-gen consoles @ 2160p60 :p

I wouldn't say they are in no rush. Spec wise Scorpio, later this year, is a very real threat they need an answer to...PS4 Pro is not it.

Do people really believe that console makers get a panic attack and rush a new machine out the door because their competitor -who had been destroyed in sales- decided to come up with another iteration of their console? Do you really believe that projects that cost billions in terms of designing, manufacturing, distributing and nurturing a platform ; projects that are so vital they may make or break their progenitors, get thrown together at the last minute out of fear that your neighbour's last toy is more powerful than your previous one? There is a roadmap that Sony will be following that is dependant on both the market cycle of the current Playstation and the technological advancements that would support and justify a viable upgrade. Simple, basic common sense.

Scorpio is not a mid-gen upgrade, as MS has stated time and time again. The new Xbox will be to Scorpio as Scorpio is to XB1 today. How can you still not understand this?

Because it is madness. This would mean that every new Xbox console will be constrained by it's predecessor, whilst new PlayStation generations will leave Xbox in the dust. Just imagine that every Xbox One game had to also run on Xbox 360. What this would mean for game design. How can you not understand this?

Man, time is flying quickly. I still think this gen is extremely young. If it's going to last as long as last gen, that means we'll already be at the halfway point this coming November.

Microsoft and Nintendo are making really weird decisions right now (Well, The Switch actually makes sense due to the WiiU's failure)

Sony really hasn't tried anything super weird other than the PS4 Pro. Microsoft wants to expand to Windows 10, but I have a feeling it'll be Games for Windows all over again (Please bring MCC and Halo 5 Matchmaking to W10, pleeeeease). Nintendo is going all out with their new system, but I still think it'll be too young when the PS5 and XO successor releases unless Nintendo goes the upgrade route since the Nvidia CEO wants the partnership to last 20 years. Which would be awesome because of guaranteed BC, but the Switch would have to explode in success during its first year, which from the looks of it, I think that is very possible. Sony hasn't really said anything, so I think they might stay traditional, and even then, I don't know if portable hardware would be powerful enough to compete with PS5 hardware, so Nintendo would probably just keep playing the late game.

I think next gen will arrive in 2020 at the absolute earliest. I don't feel that it's matching up to the X360/PS3/Wii generation though. Definitely my favorite gen so far in my life.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I think the incremental upgrades are going to be the norm. When Nintendo brought the idea of incremental consoles when talking about NX for first time, made it sound like it was an industry demand... Later when this gen started, there were news and articles about how third parties didn't want to start from zero every cycle due to how high the costs of creating AAA games got with HD development.

TBH I rather have backward and forward compatible consoles every three years, that will help platform holders keep in the business since R&D cost are much lower

AmyS

2006- 2013 7 years if you count X360 then 8 years
2013-2020 at minimum with mid gen upgrades expect 2021 at best.

Then hows about 2022 and 40 Tflops :p

(Tim Sweeney's figure for near photo-realistic graphics & far more dynamic environments)

I'd say that everything hinges on the move to 10/7nm and the consistency of the yields at that density. While we may be at 14nm at present, we got stuck at 28nm for an awful long time - it's a situation that could easily happen again and thus prolong the current generation longer than most consumers/publishers want (like last gen).

Javin98

Banned
PS5

Zen CPU 2.8GHZ 8 cores 16 thread
32GB memory
2TB HDD
Vega GPU 12TF

Second half 2019

$449
Any chance of this proposed system selling as well as the PS4 or even breaking 100 million lifetime sales gets thrown out of the window with that price point. Time and again, the market today has shown great dissatisfaction for launch prices above $399. You could say it's not a big difference and you're right, in quantity, at least, but first impressions on console launches are very important. Unless a huge global inflation takes place in the coming years, the launch price will not be jacked up above $399.

Just to add, over 100 million lifetime sales would be presuming that everything else perfectly caters to the market's needs, of course.

MilkyJoe

Gemüsepizza;229487351 said:
Because it is madness. This would mean that every new Xbox console will be constrained by it's predecessor, whilst new PlayStation generations will leave Xbox in the dust. Just imagine that every Xbox One game had to also run on Xbox 360. What this would mean for game design. How can you not understand this?

For the millionth time

864773d1447947654-star-wars-battlefront-video-grafikvergleich-pc-vs-ps4-vs-xbox-one-sw.jpg

What exactly are you expecting that would be so drastically different? A holodeck?

PS5

32GB memory
2TB HDD
Vega GPU 12TF

Second half 2019

$449

I can't agree with this. Cut SMT, boost clock to 3,5GHz (about the launch range of Ryzen) and go for 16GB of affordable HBM and I think it is possibly close to what we can expect along with 7nm Navi. Vega makes no sense, parts of the architecture are already implemented into PS4 Pro Polaris GPU, it would be basically a die-shrink raw power jump over Pro without the Zen. Next gen HBM and Navi would have much more impact. Also, I would not discount SSD in a launch model, possibly in a premium SKU.

SPCTRE

I've seen mentions in the thread of VR capability and VR focus.

Sorry if I missed it, is anyone predicting VR as a Kinect-like pack-in (á la launch Xbox One) for PS5 / Xbox Two?

wapplew

PS5

32GB memory
2TB HDD
Vega GPU 12TF

Second half 2019

$449

Zen and Vega will be outdated, you don't want a console make with 2017 tech in 2019. Hell even Zen suppose to be CPU for 2016, if you include Intel, Zen feel like sometime for 2014.

Zen and Vega will be outdated, you don't want a console make with 2017 tech in 2019. Hell even Zen suppose to be CPU for 2016, if you include Intel, Zen feel like sometime for 2014.

AMD will launch Zen+ by 2019. There aren't any roadmaps ahead of that.

Also, I think that focusing on just AMD hardware is wrong. PS5 could be a clean slate if Sony decides so and if someone else other than AMD is able to offer a competitive product. Just because they delivered best bang for the buck in 2013 doesn't mean they'll be able to do so for planned PS5 launch (I'm guessing 2020), especially if DF messes up the 7nm transition or Nvidia or someone else has something great to offer than.
What AMD has going for it is the fact that only they currently sell APUs, but I don't think that gives them a lock on next gen consoles alone. One thing for sure is they will fight tooth and nail to keep the console business, because it's great money and boosts the appeal of their PC graphics card lineup.

wapplew

AMD will launch Zen+ by 2019. There aren't any roadmaps ahead of that.

Also, I think that focusing on just AMD hardware is wrong. PS5 could be a clean slate if Sony decides so and if someone else other than AMD is able to offer a competitive product. Just because they delivered best bang for the buck in 2013 doesn't mean they'll be able to do so for planned PS5 launch (I'm guessing 2020), especially if DF messes up the 7nm transition or Nvidia or someone else has something great to offer than.
What AMD has going for it is the fact that only they currently sell APUs, but I don't think that gives them a lock on next gen consoles alone. One thing for sure is they will fight tooth and nail to keep the console business, because it's great money and boosts the appeal of their PC graphics card lineup.

I sure hope we don't stuck with AMD.

Scorpio is a disguised next-gen.

Not really. It's one die shrink (2 if you count 22nm) from Xbox One. The performance differential is 5x from Xbone and around 3,5x comparing to PS4. There is only 50% more RAM in the system and the graphics architecture isn't that different. It's not next gen judging by any definition commonly used. It's an Xbone meant for 4K content.

For the millionth time

http://extreme.pcgameshardware.de/attachments/864773d1447947654-star-wars-battlefront-video-grafikvergleich-pc-vs-ps4-vs-xbox-one-sw.jpg[img]

What exactly are you expecting that would be so drastically different? A holodeck?[/QUOTE]

Have you read what I wrote, at all? Now imagine Star Wars Battlefront on Xbox 360 and Xbox One, and how that would affect game design. Because this will be similar to the difference between Scorpio 1 and PS5. Your are comparing two devices of the same generation here.

Do you want games with graphics like Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, which had to run on X360 and X1, or games with graphics like Assassins's Creed Unity?

Philippo

No way Sony will go for over 399$ for the PS5, that price point was one of the factors for the success of the PS4, they will keep it.
Just hoping that specs for that price point in 2019/2020 will be a considerable leap from Pro.

Parahan

Don't care if it's super powerful or not,they need to
make it portable. Playing Witcher 3 on a Vita with a DS4 clip on the bed is >>>>>>>> using my 4k TV.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I don't want to hear anything about new consoles for at least 2 more years, 3 would also be fine.

My Pro+X1S will do me till Scorpio is out, the Pro+Scorpio until 2020 would suit me just fine.

Toni

November 2021 release.

For specs;

8 or 10 teraflop, 980 ti equivalent
3.8 AMD CPU
12 GB of fast GDDR5 ram
1 TB of harddrive space out of the gate

Please Sony. I want PS5 Pro to be a beast :p

Gemüsepizza;229564443 said:
Have you read what I wrote, at all? Now imagine Star Wars Battlefront on Xbox 360 and Xbox One, and how that would affect game design. Because this will be similar to the difference between Scorpio 1 and PS5. Your are comparing two devices of the same generation here.

Do you want games with graphics like Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, which had to run on X360 and X1, or games with graphics like Assassins's Creed Unity?

I want games with Graphics as Metal Gear Solid V, and more importantly how they run at those graphics :)

HW will not be the limiting factor, game Engines are / will

ethomaz

Banned

It will be in terms of power what we have today in PC at TOP.

~12 TFs.

PS. Opposite at some Xbox fans I believe Xbox 4 games won't run on older systems (XB1, Scorpio) but XB1 games will run native on Xbox 4 (hardware BC).

Fredrik

Sony would be smart to get it out there in 2019 to force Microsoft's hand. I have no idea specs - how could we know?
And have the weakest console? No. Where is the rush? They're dominating this gen, they need to just sit still on their huge userbase and wait until MS shows their next Xbox and then make PS5 even better.

Top Bottom