• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So where does the end duel of The Force Awakens rank within all SW duels? [SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Lmfao

Shit on the PT all you want but they had by far the best lightsaber battles. OT can't hold a candle shit looks dated as fuck in comparison.

You mean the fights where all they're doing is trying to hit their marks and not each other?

The Anakin vs Kenobi fight in Episode 3 would had been better if it weren't so freaking long, had some odd moments and they seem to fight like everywhere, even in places that wouldn't be ideal for a fight, felt like a video game at times.

I'm personally happy Lucas was indulgent. I waited on that duel for so many years and I'm glad it was as long as it was. Sometimes that's ok in my book.

Timu

6 minutes is too long?

And the OT had fights in awkward places, fighting in that ventilation shaft on Bespin isn't what I would envision as a standard battlefield.
6 minutes? Felt like 8-10. Also 5 minutes is the longest it should go!

Yeah that's true, but ROTS had this:

Obi-Wan_VS_Anakin_1.jpg

How do you hold your balance and fight at the same time?=O

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'm personally happy Lucas was indulgent. I waited on that duel for so many years and I'm glad it was as long as it was. Sometimes that's ok in my book.

Makes me sad to think what the prequel fights could have been if Lucas had brought back Bob Anderson to do the fights again. Man was a legend.

Bob_Anderson.jpg

But I guess since Anderson only worked on Empire and Jedi it was probably never Lucas who brought him on in the first place...

Arc

Dude I don't give a fuck why you don't like Darth Maul, and I doubt anyone else does since you don't seem to have any desire beyond saying "bleeah they just suck ok".

But luckily you have the new movie! Its full of passion! Soul! Heart!

Why don't you like Darth Maul? Why are you rooting against him? Wait does he say more than 2 lines in the whole film?????

You have yet to provide a compelling reason why the PT duels are worth a shit. So I will continue to dismiss them as shit.

6 minutes? Felt like 8-10. Also 5 minutes is the longest it should go!

Yeah that's true, but ROTS had this:

How do you hold your balance and fight at the same time?=O

I don't know how these mystical space wizards did it, maybe they drew on some unseen energy source that allowed them to do some crazy shit.

Why don't you like Darth Maul? Why are you rooting against him? Wait does he say more than 2 lines in the whole film?????

For me its pretty easily the fact that I like Kenobi and Jinn. Doesn't matter how I feel about Maul. He was trying to kill characters that I liked.

sphagnum

Banned
Huh? Who?

We get a very brief glimpse of a lightsaber duel between Vader and Drallig, who is the head of the Jedi Temple guards, when Obi-Wan checks the security hologram in the Temple. Drallig was just a cameo role for Nick Gillard, the fight choreographer, but he shows up in TCW a few times.

Wanderer5

It's a good fight...they just went a bit overboard with it, lol.

That has to be it.

A bit?:p

Too bad it felt like a long glorified tour of the place starring two guys just doing swings and crap, rather than an very personal struggle that could have made this fight really good.

The "only" source of tension was the entire conflict built by three movies of father and son fighting and resisting the pull of the light/dark side from each other? Yeah, I'll take it.

And it wasn't laughable. Luke almost murdered his father mercilessly going against everything Yoda taught him would lead him to the dark side.

But when Emperor started electrocuting Luke with Force lighting, it removed Luke's agency.

He went from being a badass jedi knight, to a helpless macguffin. Instead of being his own character and forging his own path, he was reduced to being simply the tool used to switch Vader back to the good side of the Force.

It's bad storytelling. Especially since there's no real foreshadowing or build up to it. It doesn't feel earned. Vader also dies at the end of the fight because...reasons...

RoTJ > ESB > RoTS > Force Awakens = PM >>>>>>>>> Clone Wars.

I don't care for flashy saber style, though I felt Phantom Menace and RoTS had more meaning and tension behind their duels. RoTJ and ESB are still ahead by a large margin. Clone Wars was a god damn joke, yoda should have never picked up a lightsaber.

KevinCow

Banned
RotS > TFA > AotC > TPM

But Clone Wars has the best lightsaber battles.

OT lightsaber battles are all hilariously terrible, and if they were in any other action movie, they would be regularly called out for being so. But since they're in the Star Wars OT, which people can't admit has any flaws at all, they're hailed as great fight scenes despite having some of the most boring, stiff choreography of any fight scenes ever.

Mael

For me its pretty easily the fact that I like Kenobi and Jinn. Doesn't matter how I feel about Maul. He was trying to kill characters that I liked.

You liked Kenobi and Jinn? Why?
What did they do to make them likable?
I know I liked Kenobi in Star Wars but in TPM?
He was the jerk refusing to train Anakin and getting in the way of the other drunkard who talked about midichlorians.

I don't how I would rank the fights but I know that TFA was the more believable ls fights.
Even if you take into account the prequels, Kylo fights more elegantly than all the others while the others are more doing whatever they can.

Theodoricos

But when Emperor started electrocuting Luke with Force lighting, it removed Luke's agency.

He went from being a badass jedi knight, to a helpless macguffin. Instead of being his own character and forging his own path, he was reduced to being simply the tool used to switch Vader back to the good side of the Force.

It's bad storytelling. Especially since there's no real foreshadowing or build up to it. It doesn't feel earned. Vader also dies at the end of the fight because...reasons...

No foreshadowing? Even if you somehow don't put two and two together that the Emperor has knowledge of the Force, both Yoda and Obi-Wan explicitly warn Luke about how powerful he is, and how strong his hold over Vader is.

"Don't underestimate the powers of the emperor."

The beauty of that moment is that it took both father and son to eventually take him down, not just either one of them.

Did you even watch the movie?

munchie64

OT lightsaber battles are all hilariously terrible, and if they were in any other action movie, they would be regularly called out for being so. But since they're in the Star Wars OT, which people can't admit has any flaws at all, they're hailed as great fight scenes despite having some of the most boring, stiff choreography of any fight scenes ever.
Bullshit.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Bob Anderson fight being called "stiff and boring". That's just nuts...

There is emotion in the OT fights. In Empire, it's the brilliant choreography that shows, without any dialogue, where the two players are mentally. Luke is giving it everything he has, and is fighting with passion and rage. Vader by contrast is just basically screwing with Luke. He's not even breaking a sweat.

Then you have Jedi. Luke is more powerful, and Luke really doesn't want to hurt Vader. Then Vader pushes Luke over the edge with the taunts about Leia and Luke just loses it. The fight is pure emotion, not a stylized dance routine with two emotionless stuntmen.

Empire Luke vs Vader
RotS Anakin vs Obi Wan
Jedi Luke vs Vader
Phantom Qui Gon/Obi Wan vs Maul
Attack Obi Wan vs Jango Fett
RotS Yoda vs Sidious
Attack Yoda vs Dooku
Attack Anakin/Obi Wan vs Dooku
RotS Obi Wan vs Grievous
Awakens Rey/Finn vs Ren
ANH Obi Wan vs Vader

Emotionally the awakens duel nails it, but the actual fight isn't very enjoyable on its own because it truly is a battle between an injured half trained jedi half trained sith and a guy with no force sensitivity/a girl who's only just awakened to the force and has no real training. Clearly with training Rey and Ren rematch could/should be amazing shit but we'll have to see.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
RotS > TFA > AotC > TPM

You know, sometimes choreography isn't the point.

No foreshadowing? Even if you somehow don't put two and two together that the Emperor has knowledge of the Force, both Yoda and Obi-Wan explicitly warn Luke about how powerful he is, and how strong his hold over Vader is.

"Don't underestimate the powers of the emperor."

The beauty of that moment is that it took both father and son to eventually take him down, not just either one of them.

Did you even watch the movie?

To be honest, I've seen the movie at least 3 times.

It's a very hard movie to pay attention to, and I shouldn't be commenting on it's plot. I don't even remember the point of the Ewoks portion.

RotS > TFA > AotC > TPM

It's not so much that the action is done well (yes they are pretty stiff and basic movements), it's the emotions involved behind the fight.

6,5,7,1,3 and 2.

As gas as the OT battles looking wooden, Lucas told the actors to keep 2 hands on the light saber because he envisioned it being a heavy weapon. Of course like most things he just threw it out the window for the prequels.

Even though they are not as well choreographed, the fights in 6 & 5 have so much more emotion behind them.

PaulloDEC

Regardless of the artistry or technical achievement of the PT fights, they're just less satisfying to me because the people in them are too damn comfortable. They're swinging goddamned laser swords around like they're nothing. I can't fear for these people when they look like they could do this shit all day.

The best OT and TFA fights are great because at least one of the participants always seems like they're truly fighting for their life. The blows feel harder, heavier and more desperate, which reinforces the idea that these are deadly weapons rather than glowing sticks.

I'd have to see TFA again to place it, but the climactic battles in Empire and Jedi are still at the top, while most of the prequel stuff remains at the bottom.

6,5,7,1,3 and 2.

As gas as the OT battles looking wooden, Lucas told the actors to keep 2 hands on the light saber because he envisioned it being a heavy weapon. Of course like most things he just threw it out the window for the prequels.
No, he threw out the heavy weapon thing for ESB, Vader doesn't even hold the lightsaber with two hands until he stops dicking around with Luke.

mrjohill

The cgi cartoon has some pretty cool lightsaber fights. I remember one with count dooku vs Anakin and obi-wan as well as the one with obi-wan vs the mandalorian with the dark saber.

First post baby.
Nothing beat this:
return-of-the-jedi-duel.gif

tumblr_nc4i4bx3xt1tm5h2io1_500.gif

Music, emotion, choreography...CHILLLLS EVERYWHERE!

Yep nothing has topped the emotion in this fight in the series at all to me. Sure there are better "action" fights. I mean Maul battle and TFA are probably the 2 best straight up "fight scenes" but thats not everything a duel is about.

Its the culmination of the Father and Son and their battle between the Dark Side and the Light that both of them have been / are / have been tempted by. Combine it with the music that kicks in and man...............ROTJ fight is still the top tier imo

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Anakin Vs Obi-wan is Le Goat.
Darth Maul is 2
and while not the best overall fight, watching Yoda parry Count Dooku force lighting is pretty good.

So somewhere after that.

Trance

Lmfao

Shit on the PT all you want but they had by far the best lightsaber battles. OT can't hold a candle shit looks dated as fuck in comparison.

PT ones are really cool standalone light shows. I enjoy them like I might watching a round of highly choreographed wushu match. But they don't have the dramatic weight like the OT or TFA. TFA was that perfect blend of cool spectacle and meaningful character-centric drama in its fighting.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Obi-Wan vs Vader is pretty bad. It's down there with my least favorite saber fight from the prequels.

bMhZhdn.gif

Good God...

Ithil

The lightsabers in the fight feel dangerous, hot and powerful in a way none of the prequel fights did, and even in a way some of the OT duels did not (where they're more like regular swords).
Something about the intense lighting and level of destruction they did to the environments, as well as the heavy blows rather than twirling nonsense made the lightsabers seem like a threat instead of just flashy.

ESB and ROTJ have the addition of an intense emotional story in both to keep them as the best duels, but certainly this one ranks right behind them and there's every possibility they can get the very best duel yet in Episode 8 or 9.

Gleethor

Not even the worst part of the fight.

iR7AZUd.gif

I like most of the prequel fights but that moment was fucking awful. He just stood there. Like, with Maul you could argue that he was surprised that Obi-wan jumped back up. But Dooku was just doing a regular-ass swing and Anakin does nothing.

Ithil

Obi-Wan vs Vader is pretty bad. It's down there with my least favorite saber fight from the prequels.

bMhZhdn.gif

Good God...

I like the lightsabers only cast light in this one scene because the lights are out and they used glowsticks on set, and whenever Yoda uses one because he's CG and they can put the lighting on. Otherwise there's no coloured lighting from the sabers.

TFA always had lighting coming from the sabers for the first time in any SW film, which probably contributed to how intense and hot they felt any time they were ignited.

Speely

Banned
I like the lightsabers only cast light in this one scene because the lights are out and they used glowsticks on set, and whenever Yoda uses one because he's CG and they can put the lighting on. Otherwise there's no coloured lighting from the sabers.

TFA always had lighting coming from the sabers for the first time in any SW film, which probably contributed to how intense and hot they felt any time they were ignited.

The lighting on the TFA sabers is so godly. That, the sound of them, and the way they realistically interacted with the environment really made them feel more deadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom