• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 |OT|

are you guys pre-ordering through Amazon for the no tax, release day shipping, and cheaper price? Or are you pre-ordering through Gamestop for the bonus map?

I need to figure out which one to choose. Hmm...

bob page

KingOfKong said:
are you guys pre-ordering through Amazon for the no tax, release day shipping, and cheaper price? Or are you pre-ordering through Gamestop for the bonus map?

I need to figure out which one to choose. Hmm...
I had the same dilemma- Amazon has the $10 game credit too. But in the end I chose Gamestop for this one, just because Abandoned brings back so many memories.

W1SSY

Day two for me because I do not want this to interfere with my last calculus 3 test of the year. Really enjoyed the beta when it first came out but didn't get a chance to try out the patched version. I had to preorder from Gamestop because in SOCOM I loved me some Abandoned.

bob page said:
I had the same dilemma- Amazon has the $10 game credit too. But in the end I chose Gamestop for this one, just because Abandoned brings back so many memories.

i just wish the map was available for download on day 1 because it likely would only be a few bucks and the $10 credit + free shipping + slightly lower price more then makes it a better deal. Oh well I am likely gonna end up getting it through gamestop as well because I am a sucker for bonus maps.

Persona7

Banned
LevityNYC said:
I put 200 hours into Socom 2.... with about 5 minutes of single player... people actually play the single player?
I actually really enjoyed the single player in all the SOCOM games, fun stuff.

Especially combined assault.

Grinchy

Banned
bob page said:
Day one here. I feel really bad for Zipper seeing all of the reviews- anyone familiar to the series knows that it's purpose is online play, but the critics never seemed to realize this (and if they did, they docked it for performing sporadicly on beta servers). In the end, it's really disrespectful to the devs who spent years on the game, but end up getting penalized by reviewers who aren't even patient enough to wait for the final netcode (the code that gamers will actually be playing on launch day).
All of that is ok, though.

Unfortunately, I think the problem is that not many people realize this. Us forum-goers know this by now (hopefully), but the majority of people buying games still seem to think that an IGN or Gamespot review score is the final word on a game's quality.

I seem to remember the other Socoms not getting good scores, though. Hopefully it won't have an effect this time either.

Raoh

Persona7 said:
I actually really enjoyed the single player in all the SOCOM games, fun stuff.

Especially combined assault.

I dont remember the combined assualt campaign but i remember how much i loved socom 1 and 2 campaign.

Loved the headset chatter and ability to just speak my commands.

Successfully and quietly taking out 2 enemies as they walk down the road without as much as a peep from my squads sniper rifle.

MrConkin

Neo Member
For what it's worth, Jim Sterling just tweeted that he had a talk with Zipper and confirmed that something was particularly wonk with his experience. He said that he'll do a re-review if that changes.

bob page

JimSterling:
Just had a chat with Sony/Zipper about the lag in SOCOM 4. Something was deffo borked their end. I'll be checking the game out some more.
RE: SOCOM 4 re-review. Definitely a possibility. Don't expect a major 8/10 jump. Multi was but one complaint I had. But I may re-review.

Edit: damn, beaten

Sethos

Banned
MrConkin said:
For what it's worth, Jim Sterling just tweeted that he had a talk with Zipper and confirmed that something was particularly wonk with his experience. He said that he'll do a re-review if that changes.

He could give it 15/10 and Jim Sterling is still an oozing zit that needs to take a ferry out of this world.

Anyway, are there any bots for MP?

FINALBOSS

Banned
MrConkin said:

Fuck him.

How is it possible he is the only one who experienced that?

bob page

FINALBOSS said:
Fuck him.

How is it possible he is the only one who experienced that?
Well, considering the fact that he didn't really give online much of a chance because he couldn't connect (beta server maintenance, etc)...

Anyway, I used to be a fan of his work, but what he did is downright disrespectful. There's no point rushing a review out that's based off beta netcode. He really needs to step down off his high-horse- he's becoming exactly what he preaches against. Destructoid should just lock him in a closet & put him in charge of reviewing the Dynasty Warriors series.

gibration said:
I'm still debating whether I should buy this or not. Still looking for that one shooter I can just keep playing, keep having fun and that can last me for a very long while.
I feel ya..The last shooting game that had me was Killzone 2..

Grinchy

Banned
I'm on the fence just like you guys. I generally just don't enjoy shooters like I used to, so none of them seem to grab me. I did put a hell of a lot of time into MAG, though. And I used to LOVE Socom, so I can't deny that I'm very interested in this game.

I guess I should have tried loading up the beta after I downloaded and installed it.

zlatko

Banned
Grinchy said:
I'm on the fence just like you guys. I generally just don't enjoy shooters like I used to, so none of them seem to grab me. I did put a hell of a lot of time into MAG, though. And I used to LOVE Socom, so I can't deny that I'm very interested in this game.

I guess I should have tried loading up the beta after I downloaded and installed it.

:p You definitely should've played the beta if you are/were interested.

Personally, I can't fully recommend the game based off of my time with just the beta. I DO think people seeking a new shooter should be looking at this game and at least renting it to give it a fair shake.

For me I'm going to rent it to see what the final build plays like, play the Gears 3 beta, then buy Brink for sure. It's going to come down between Brink or Socom 4 for my summer shooter. Hopefully 1 delivers.

demolitio

bob page said:
Well, considering the fact that he didn't really give online much of a chance because he couldn't connect (beta server maintenance, etc)...

Anyway, I used to be a fan of his work, but what he did is downright disrespectful. There's no point rushing a review out that's based off beta netcode. He really needs to step down off his high-horse- he's becoming exactly what he preaches against. Destructoid should just lock him in a closet & put him in charge of reviewing the Dynasty Warriors series.
I agree. When it makes or breaks a developer or franchise's future, you have to give the game a chance before you immediately write it off on issues that most other people have yet to experience, even with over a day of playtime in the beta. It was clear that something was definitely out of whack and he didn't take the time to even fix it or explain it and instead went right for the killer review. Sometimes I wonder if these reviewers just want the hits from the controversy.

These guys have a big influence on sales to some people so they have to make sure they remain fair and try to work through the problems before jumping to conclusions.

I understand that SOCOM isn't for everyone since it's a little more tactical than most games out there, but there was no reason for a 3/10. Seeing 7's make a little more sense even though I think it's better than that, but a 3 is waaaaayyy off and completely disrespectful.

Anyway, my clan will be up and running for S4. Add me on PSN if anyone wants to party up. PSN = Demolitio

NHale

bob page said:
JimSterling:

Edit: damn, beaten

How can you say "don't expect a major 8/10 jump" before starting the re-review of the game? Once again he's showing how much he wants to dislike the game. Not a surprise but it's shocking to see him so open about it. And if you're forced to re-review a game in less than 24 hours due to your huge mistakes, you should be a lot more humble so that you don't make the same mistake twice.

Well a serious website would have another reviewer doing the re-review...

Miggytronz

Will the AIM issues with MOVE get patched. Im highly thinking about purchasing the bundle for this but damn the aiming issues with MOVE are pushing me away.

Mikasangelos said:
Will the AIM issues with MOVE get patched. Im highly thinking about purchasing the bundle for this but damn the aiming issues with MOVE are pushing me away.

I'm sure most of them will. I tried the Move but I think I'll stick with the DS3. The Move does some things better, most noticeably aiming with the scope is a lot faster, but it feels to unpredictable to me.

Moving the analog stick on the DS3 the cursor and camera will always react the same way (given of course I move it in the same direction for the same amount of time), but learning to move my hand exactly the same way and thus get predictable results on-screen takes a lot of time, and I'm not a very patient person.

Miggytronz

Giriath_89 said:
I'm sure most of them will. I tried the Move but I think I'll stick with the DS3. The Move does some things better, most noticeably aiming with the scope is a lot faster, but it feels to unpredictable to me.

Moving the analog stick on the DS3 the cursor and camera will always react the same way (given of course I move it in the same direction for the same amount of time), but learning to move my hand exactly the same way and thus get predictable results on-screen takes a lot of time, and I'm not a very patient person.

yeah i watched this and the commentator went in clear detail about how different the AIMing is on MOVE vs DS3 and how DS3 does it way way better.

http://www.iwaggle3d.com/2011/04/video-iwatch-socom-4-multiplayer-beta.html

Marleyman

Banned
Marcellus Wallace said:
Socom they didn't make the game better?

24bop6h.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
zlatko said:
:p You definitely should've played the beta if you are/were interested.

Personally, I can't fully recommend the game based off of my time with just the beta. I DO think people seeking a new shooter should be looking at this game and at least renting it to give it a fair shake.

For me I'm going to rent it to see what the final build plays like, play the Gears 3 beta, then buy Brink for sure. It's going to come down between Brink or Socom 4 for my summer shooter. Hopefully 1 delivers.

Thanks for the impressions. I think I would have responded this same way about MAG in its early days too. That's the problem (for me at least) with shooters like this. It definitely takes some time to "get" the game and then it seems to take even longer for the company to fix all the shit that's wrong with it so everyone can enjoy it properly.

I know I keep referencing MAG as if I worked for Zipper and was trying to get some last minute sales, but that game was so deep once it clicked. It's just that most people aren't going to give it that much time. If it isn't immediately accessible, I feel like most people are going to be turned off, and they will be very vocal about how turned off they were.

In fact, I'm not even sure that I want to give any of these games enough time for them to click with me anymore. That's probably why I didn't load up the beta. I had the choice between playing games I already know I like, or a beta for a game where I have no idea what I'm doing and I'll spend most of my time in the death screen.

decided to cancel my pre-order. seeing the lack of interest in the OT from GAF as well as lack of interest on other gaming forums, and watching the bad reviews keep coming in, I am going to wait for release and hear the user reviews for some of you that are sticking to day 1. I have Portal 2 coming that day anyhow so it will keep me busy while I gather more full game reviews from actual players and not reviewers.

MrConkin

Neo Member
KingOfKong said:
decided to cancel my pre-order. seeing the lack of interest in the OT from GAF as well as lack of interest on other gaming forums, and watching the bad reviews keep coming in, I am going to wait for release and hear the user reviews for some of you that are sticking to day 1. I have Portal 2 coming that day anyhow so it will keep me busy while I gather more full game reviews from actual players and not reviewers.

Gotta say, I'm thinking about switching my pre-order to Portal. All the hype is getting me riled up and I'd like to play through it before all of the spoilers hit the net. I still plan on picking this up, but I might wait for the DLC to release (which hopefully contains some maps with more variety than southeast asia, and the classic dlc modes) and for them to patch a few of the remaining issues I have (mainly just push to talk). Apologies go out to Zipper. I wanted to support them on this one and I hesitate to say this because there are way too many people whining about the golden days, but I think they spread themselves too thin. All of the effort that went into making the single-player experience and splitting the multiplayer base into Standard and Classic should have gone into making the most robust classic SOCOM experience possible (sure, with the necessary shooter tropes needed to bring the game up to speed). I feel like they alienated their current user base and failed to push out one that was more appealing than other games in the casual market. I guess the sales figures will tell all.

eroots

I think the game will be great after release and interest will pick up. The beta was a ton of fun. I don't trust the reviews and even if I did, I don't care about single player much. It's all about the multiplayer and I know that is fantastic because I put so many hours into the beta.

eroots said:
I think the game will be great after release and interest will pick up. The beta was a ton of fun. I don't trust the reviews and even if I did, I don't care about single player much. It's all about the multiplayer and I know that is fantastic because I put so many hours into the beta.

I don't think I'll touch the single player at all. I played the beta and thought it was fun, and that's all that matters to me. I'm sure it could do some things better, but if I were to only buy games I think of as near-perfect, and I got to try them before I buy them, I would be buying very few games.

Perfect scores are bullshit, and I don't trust the score system much overall. Too often they reflect the reviewer's personal opinion (which can obviously be very subjective and far from objective) rather than the quality of the game, which can be measured mostly in its technical aspects. How much enjoyment (or disappointment) the reviewer gets out of the game should in my opinion be left to text where he or she can express and attempt to explain what they liked and disliked and why, and not be summarized in numeric scores.

oneHeero

Day one.

Guess I should pre-order it this weekend for the map.

Argh, way to many games this year. I wanna buy Portal 2 just to support steam's efforts, Bf3, uc3, socom 4, lb3, etc.

Miggytronz

Its me and my wifes 3 year anniversary next week, she loves Wii type of games so im thinking about getting that Move Bundle, Zumba and a Bowling game for us.

Still undecided, gaf moves on so fast to the next game that I don't really want to be left looking for people to play with. Hopefully the game will sell ok and Zipper will come out of this unscathed.

Where's Doel?

darkwing said:
its already out in Asia, the R1 version lol my friend already has one, and it has the R3 beta voucher

Can you substantially decrease the bullet damage in competitive custom games? If not, I will likely stick to coop and single player

MalboroRed said:
Still undecided, gaf moves on so fast to the next game that I don't really want to be left looking for people to play with. Hopefully the game will sell ok and Zipper will come out of this unscathed.

Where's Doel?

Even with the negative impressions and the horrible horrible reviews Confrontation had, it still had a very dedicated playerbase.

Zoibie

Giriath_89 said:
I don't think I'll touch the single player at all. I played the beta and thought it was fun, and that's all that matters to me.

This may be the first game I get where I'll jump straight into the MP and just leave the SP for some other time. I loved the beta but the single player doesn't look all that fun.

W1SSY

BattleMonkey said:
Even with the negative impressions and the horrible horrible reviews Confrontation had, it still had a very dedicated playerbase.
Yea that is one thing about the SOCOM series, it seems no matter what you always have a dedicated fan base playing the game. I myself couldn't play Confrontation for that long and hopefully 4 will be my go to shooter.

GQman2121

Banned
I really wanted to like this version of Socom because the beta had its moments. Unfortunately, I feel like I burnt myself out during the beta and I really don't have that desire to see anymore. I just can't get past the camera and controller layout.

Currently, this is nothing more than a used, cheap, summer pickup for me.

anddo0

Guess I'm the only one who is remotely interested in the single-player campaign. The Gamespot review didn't seem too harsh on it. Also, 7-8 hours doesn't sound too bad, especially if you ramp up the difficulty. It's much longer than other MP focused games.

I stopped playing the Socom franchise about 3 months into the launch of S3. I got Confrontation as a bonus when I got the PS mic. I played maybe a round or two (post patch) and never looked back.

I was hoping S4 SP would be at least half way decent. Given the attention it received early on. It seems like they missed the mark.

I'm still on the fence (though I have it pre-ordred). The beta was okay. I didn't care much for the camera (too close) though I've read they fixed that.. This will definitely be a game time decision.

Top Bottom