• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 |OT|

gluv65 said:
Single Player socom 4 player here, popped my cherry on the original and this is my first time back. Picked it up about 10 minutes ago and about to dive into some 3D/move socom. 42mb patch installing now.

Who wants the Resistance code? I don't do betas, to lazy to give feed back.

First too PM gets it.

CLAIMED razor81

Thanks!! made my day :D wasnt gonna get a code with the game because im in eu and wasnt going to buy plus for that!

Mesijs

Just over half with the singleplayer campaign. It is kind of fun but a bit too basic, story could have been told better and the team-based gameplay could have been better as well. Still enjoying myself though. Playing it to review but MP servers aren't up... must have missed the review servers for this one.

I like the game so far, damn I wish they would have gave the options for voice command(nostalgia). Graphics are good not great, 3D is subtle, not a wow factor, fortunately My Bravia allows me too adjust my set for depth or that pop feeling, to make it stand out. So far 3D appears to be ok(2 missions in).

The Move is excellent, rest in my lap point and shoot, and very good for commands. I need to hang back a little more and be a commander, I want too see how the AI handles things as well as the enemy AI.

So far 2 missions in, I like it and will play more after baskeball.

W1SSY

gluv65 said:
I like the game so far, damn I wish they would have gave the options for voice command(nostalgia).
I loved the single player voice commands in the first couple of games. I remember when I read about the original SOCOM in the Official Playstation Magazine. I ended up talking my mom into getting it for me and have been playing them ever since. Nothing like telling Boomer to hold his fire and have him proceed to run out shooting at someone and getting my squad killed.

Psykotik

gluv65 said:
I like the game so far, damn I wish they would have gave the options for voice command(nostalgia). Graphics are good not great, 3D is subtle, not a wow factor, fortunately My Bravia allows me too adjust my set for depth or that pop feeling, to make it stand out. So far 3D appears to be ok(2 missions in).

The Move is excellent, rest in my lap point and shoot, and very good for commands. I need to hang back a little more and be a commander, I want too see how the AI handles things as well as the enemy AI.

So far 2 missions in, I like it and will play more after baskeball.

i'm about 8 missions in now i think. opening of mission 6 was fun. love marking targets for my squadmates and having them execute on my command. having everyone open fire one by one taking everyone out before they can begin to react.

there's a few preset for the 3D. shallow, medium and deep i think. you can also have custom settings for the 3D. medium seems to work best for me on my samsung C7000. very little noticable crosstalk.

oh, i recommend playing on hard the first time out if you want more challenge or if you want to make the SP last longer.

i want to say it's still pretty easy on hard (haven't really had much trouble at all on any of the levels) so i can't imagine how easier it is on normal.

wotter

Mesijs said:
I'm playing on normal, it's really quite easy. Looking forward to play it on extreme.
You'll be infuriated at some checkpoint placements when playing on Elite, I know I am :(

Mesijs

Yeah I guess, I just did (around half)
the running to the heli thing in four minutes. I could imagine going insane with that on extreme.

But at least it would add some hard-needed challenge to the game, I like that in games like this.

Psykotik

Mesijs said:
Yeah I guess, I just did (around half)
the running to the heli thing in four minutes. I could imagine going insane with that on extreme.

But at least it would add some hard-needed challenge to the game, I like that in games like this.

holy shit this. i just got past this level on hard and that part had me dying over and over and over again. finally managed to
GET TO DAH CHOPPAH
after like i don't know how many tries.

Razor 81 said:
It's gonna be the same content. Why would you think its gonna be different? makes no sense..

It makes no sense to me either. If it were going to be exactly the same, why not just include it in the announcement for America and Asia, and include it in the game, like they did?

Instead they're going to do a separate announcement about exactly the same content, only we get it later and have to pay for it?

panda21

i'm going to be pissed if this SOCOM pro thing means Europe just can't access some game modes, or we have to pay for them later on. that shit needs to come with the game or gtfo

Giriath_89 said:
It makes no sense to me either. If it were going to be exactly the same, why not just include it in the announcement for America and Asia, and include it in the game, like they did?

Instead they're going to do a separate announcement about exactly the same content, only we get it later and have to pay for it?

I guess Sony EU have got to announce it because of the value in € and how much it's gonna cost if you don't buy it new. But its gonna be exactly the same content and it's gonna come with a new game for free. Thats just the point

Razor 81 said:
I guess Sony EU have got to announce it because of the value in € and how much it's gonna cost if you don't buy it new. But its gonna be exactly the same content and it's gonna come with a new game for free. Thats just the point

Are you sure about that? I haven't seen them say that anywhere.

Giriath_89 said:
Are you sure about that? I haven't seen them say that anywhere.

Offcourse it's gonna be free for new copy's, thats the whole point of Socom pro.
And why would you want to separate the community by releasing different content? makes absolutely no sense to me.

I hope i'm right about this, we'll see soon enough i guess.

Razor 81 said:
Offcourse it's gonna be free for new copy's, thats the whole point of Socom pro.
And why would you want to separate the community by releasing different content? makes absolutely no sense to me.

I hope i'm right about this, we'll see soon enough i guess.

I certainly hope you're right as well but all SCEE have said is that they'll make their own announcement regarding Socom Pro, and have yet to do it, when the game releases on the 20th. Also, no retailers that I've seen advertise that you get Socom Pro when buying the game.

I'm not very hopeful. :(

Mesijs

After having played three quarters through the game (and having played the final mission at a press event...) I can readily say that the singleplayer is kind of meh. They could have done so much more to make it worth your while, and AI from both teammates and enemies is kind of weak. Doesn't really make sense if you point your team to cover and they go sit at the other side of it, and they will fall of a small pier when you want them to stay on.

Psykotik

the SP is what it is. honestly, i would've been happy even if there was no SP and they did it MAG/socom confrontation style: MP only.

can't wait till the servers are up.

the only thing i'm really wishing for is a fix for the infinite loading screens that was in the beta after the patch.

the matchmaking was perfect before that. but the patch somehow messed it up a bit.

Greg

Psykotik said:
the SP is what it is. honestly, i would've been happy even if there was no SP and they did it MAG/socom confrontation style: MP only.

can't wait till the servers are up.

the only thing i'm really wishing for is a fix for the infinite loading screens that was in the beta after the patch.

the matchmaking was perfect before that. but the patch somehow messed it up a bit.
If you're connected through an ethernet cable you can pull the plug from the back of your PS3 for a second and it'll throw up an error message and kick you back to the main menu instead of the infinite loading screen. Obviously the issue needs to be fixed if it's still there (which I'm thinking it won't be considering how good it was pre-patch), but it's better than having to quit the game completely.

And yeah, I'm thinking I might save SP for when they have server issues or during maintenance. With the differences between SP and MP, it's not one of those games that practice during SP is really going to translate online.

Raoh

Listening to the3 people that are already playing it, sounds like it would have been nice to have had bots a bots mode. in a faux online or co op scenerio.

With killzone 2/3 and UT3, I found myself playing a lot of bot games for warm ups and learning maps better.

I'm so jealous of those that got the game early.

Raoh said:
Listening to the3 people that are already playing it, sounds like it would have been nice to have had bots a bots mode. in a faux online or co op scenerio.

With killzone 2/3 and UT3, I found myself playing a lot of bot games for warm ups and learning maps better.

I'm so jealous of those that got the game early.

I've seen videos that showed co-op missions similar to Nazi Zombies that had bots. You just can't play the main online game types with bots like in Killzone.

Greg

Yeah, in the GT review they said you can play the 'Custom Campaign' offline with just AI teammates.

Here's the screenshot from the settings page on their review:
1dPu0.png

Psykotik

yup, you can create once off custom campaign levels to play alone or online coop.

you can pick a level, set the objective (kill target or steal info), set the number of enemies and the difficulty.

you can save all your settings (custom campaign 1, custom campaign 2, custom campaign 3 etc etc) and load them up whenever you want some coop action.

there are trophies related to play custom campaign levels.

btw, i just want to say the revive animation is SP is TERRIBLE. zipper could've spent some time actually animating your squadmates getting up instead of having them just instantly stand up.

also, i was watching the (probably) 20 minute credit sequence and they had special thanks to guerilla games, naughty dog and insomniac if i remember correctly.

Hopefully my retailer sends my copy on Monday, so I get it on Tuesday and can play with the Americans. I don't want to be behind even a day.

ugh I am HATING the sharpshooter controls in this game, even in SP. Taking cover with the circle button SUCKS. I'm using my left hand on the navigation controller and reaching my thumb to the other end of it in that position is difficult.

Raoh

Greg said:
Yeah, in the GT review they said you can play the 'Custom Campaign' offline with just AI teammates.

Here's the screenshot from the settings page on their review:
1dPu0.png

Psykotik said:
yup, you can create once off custom campaign levels to play alone or online coop.

you can pick a level, set the objective (kill target or steal info), set the number of enemies and the difficulty.

you can save all your settings (custom campaign 1, custom campaign 2, custom campaign 3 etc etc) and load them up whenever you want some coop action.

there are trophies related to play custom campaign levels.

btw, i just want to say the revive animation is SP is TERRIBLE. zipper could've spent some time actually animating your squadmates getting up instead of having them just instantly stand up.

also, i was watching the (probably) 20 minute credit sequence and they had special thanks to guerilla games, naughty dog and insomniac if i remember correctly.

cool...

mission 4 was frustratingly difficult, I wish that the game had a better turtorial on how to manage your team, also there are times when I tell my team to do something and they say "Affirmative" and then never move.

How many missions are there in the game?

Psykotik

Domcorleone said:
mission 4 was frustratingly difficult, I wish that the game had a better turtorial on how to manage your team, also there are times when I tell my team to do something and they say "Affirmative" and then never move.

How many missions are there in the game?

wait till you get to mission 8...!

i think it's 14 missions total.

there are definitely bits of the SP where things go glitchy sometimes.

i was stuck at a spot where i kept dying over and over and a couple of times, when i restarted at the checkpoint before the spot, all the enemies in that spot were just magically gone. like the game forgot to respawn them.

Mesijs

Just completed the SP. Final verdict: it does the job, it fills your time, you can have fun, but its ages behind what we expect from a decent SP game in terms of level design, controls, AI, story etc. Now let's wait for the servers to go up...

In an earlier post I said the graphics were good, I would like to revise that statement. In 3D their good in 2D they are Very Good and clean good job zipper. Still liking the game, will play through hard next go round.

My copy still hasn't been sent and it's 11AM here. I would really like to get it on the 19th, but it's looking like my retailer will stick to the European release date. :(

I can only reminiscence about the past when they could randomly send out games a week before their intended release.

r.gun

Neo Member
TTP, do you think the different turn modes were added to the Sharp Shooter only because Zipper may have felt move users would be too overpowered with them using vanilla?

Bajan32

wow I really thought S4 would be getting more love..

anyway Im buying this..maybe even the sharpshooter/move package.

GAF knows the rules..
I aint that great at shooters,but love to play with GAF.
If there's a clan I want in =)

PSN: Bajan32

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
r.gun said:
TTP, do you think the different turn modes were added to the Sharp Shooter only because Zipper may have felt move users would be too overpowered with them using vanilla?

That's a possibility, but it would suck if vanilla Move players have to be crippled to achieve parity with DS3 ones.

Greg

I hope they add those modes to the vanilla Move, but they better give me an acceleration option and 15 extra clicks of sensitivity for turn/pitch with the DS3.

KPunk

preordered the game at gamestop for the extra map (would rather get it else where but map kept me at gamestop)..i am really excited, cant wait to play. didn't play the beta..thinking about jumping on the bestbuy deal buy socom 4 get lbp2 or kz3 for $20 and returning it back to gamestop after getting the coupon code for the extra map. think that will work?

Persona7 said:
Huh, amazon still hasn't shipped my copy.(release date delivery)

Anyone else notice that or is it just me?

try not to ever be OCD with amazon and their shipping status. i have never heard of somebody getting screwed over by them missing their shipping dates but always hear of people scared because it isn't showing as shipped. it will be there tomorrow.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Servers are live and can be joined even from europe. Just had some matches.

Wasn't there supposed to be a party system? Can't see anything about that.

Edit - Oh, I see it's coming with 1.03/1.04

Second Patch – SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs v1.03/1.04
Estimated Release: Late April/ Early May 2011

* Added center dot to targeting reticule
* Inclusion of SOCOM 4 Party System

Playing with the vanilla Move. I miss my Frankenmove so much :D (I only "cheat" for science)

Top Bottom