• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOCOM 4 |OT|

Raoh

TTP said:
Servers are live and can be joined even from europe. Just had some matches.

Wasn't there supposed to be a party system? Can't see anything about that.

Edit - Oh, I see it's coming with 1.03/1.04

Second Patch – SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs v1.03/1.04
Estimated Release: Late April/ Early May 2011

* Added center dot to targeting reticule
* Inclusion of SOCOM 4 Party System

Playing with the vanilla Move. I miss my Frankenmove so much :D (I only "cheat" for science)

nice....

If there was ever a PS3 title that needed to ship bundled w/ a headset. Socom 4 is that game. It's the only thing they got right with Confrontation.

TTP said:
Servers are live and can be joined even from europe. Just had some matches.

Wasn't there supposed to be a party system? Can't see anything about that.

Edit - Oh, I see it's coming with 1.03/1.04

Playing with the vanilla Move. I miss my Frankenmove so much :D (I only "cheat" for science)

I'm surprised they're finally putting in a party system.

plainr_ said:
Is there custom soundtracks for multiplayer?

I think this was confirmed awhile back, but I'm not 100% sure.

I had fun in the beta, don't know why the low scores and all the bitching to be honest.

MalboroRed said:
I'm surprised they're finally putting in a party system.

They've been intending to have it since before the beta. The only reason it wasn't in the beta was because they discovered some technical issues with it just before it launched, so they've been working on that. At least that's what Zipper has said.

supermackem said:
Fuck no party system at launch, fuck my game is packing or i wouldve canceled it.

Really? That serious huh? ...Lol. It's going to patched in, so no worries on my end. I'd like to know how others feel about the co-op mode... Is it me or does it feel like not much effort went into it's development? ..I'd honesty prefer a 2 player co-op option for campaign/story mode over this (or both!).

Just seems like a missed opportunity is all. Was hoping for more out of co-op.

Greg

Played 3 levels of SP and couldn't wait any longer for MP.

Got 2 matches in before I called it a night, but if Cesspool and Sacrifice are any indication of the quality of the other MP maps that weren't in the beta, this is going to be so awesome.

The grenades are a bit too spam-friendly though. It wasn't as apparent to me in the beta because those maps were spaced out a bit, but things do get pretty hectic.

Yeah, the smaller maps in respawn playlist can be very hectic, clusterf*ck-ish sometimes. Even when playing an objective based mode. But I find all... 99% of the maps great -- I hate assault & battery with a passion.

Psykotik

just got home from work to try out the MP.

receiving updates 55.87MB

here's hoping the infinite loading screen bug if fixed!

cockups aside, i have faith in zipper.

look at how far MAG has improved since launch. around this time next year, socom 4 will probably be just as improved upon.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Yeah, the smaller maps in respawn playlist can be very hectic, clusterf*ck-ish sometimes. Even when playing an objective based mode. But I find all... 99% of the maps great -- I hate assault & battery with a passion.

I hate attacking in Bomb Squad in Bale Out on the Spec-Ops side. Why the fuck are all the 3 bombs near the insurgents spawn points? I swear that's how they seem to be located. But perhaps I'm just n00b in that map. Anyway, it's hell down there.

I loved the huge map with the train btw (forgot the name).

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Just seems like a missed opportunity is all. Was hoping for more out of co-op.

Co-op is a missed opportunity in general this gen. It always ends like this: do the same stuff you do in SP, but with a friend! Jeez alright, but how about building some mechanics that actually require an intelligent being by your side?

panda21

BrLvgThrChmstry said:

yeah respawn felt kind of ridiculous in the beta

can't wait to see some of the maps in the full game, port authority was baller

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I'm not expecting a block-buster, but I enjoyed using the Sharpshooter in Killzone 3 and my 3D projector set-up is arriving tomorrow so I pre-ordered this game. I think it's going to be a solid game.

In fact tomorrow is going to be amazing. Found Avatar 3D Bluray for cheap, I got Mortal Kombat PS3 (3D), Socom (3D), Super Stardust (3D), Tron Bluray 3D, going to replay Killzone 3 in 3D since I want to beat it on hard.

I might write up a review of the Vip Theatre that I am getting for my projector with my PS3 3D experience. It converts 120hz and 60hz HDMI to a variety of 3D modes including the PS3, I have a 120hz projector with dlp link glasses. I might test it out on my HD 60hz non-3D TV just in case anyone is curious how much worse it is.

Can't wait to play Motorstorm 3 in 3D as I've heard such great things about that experience. I personally love 3D. I have it on my PC and Crysis 2 in 3D is beautiful.

zlatko

Banned
No party system at launch? Glad I'm renting it. I had a gut feeling something about the final version of this game wouldn't fly with me right away. Until that is patched in I just won't consider a purchase and it needs to be done right. I play online multiplayer together with friends---take that away and I don't see the point.

supermackem said:
In the uk its been bumped to thursday to as some thing is happening on friday and its a bank holiday.
Apparently the banks have a holiday Friday also over here but no word on releasing earlier though :(

Psykotik

played a few rounds. didnt notice any lag.

haven't gotten any infinite loading screens yet so i guess that's fixed?

but i have run into a bunch of respawning/living dead problems.

one match, i was apparently killed but i was still walking around like an invisible ghost with no way to respawn properly. i did eventually die and respawn though. but this is still a problem (experienced it in the beta too)

another match, when it was time to respawn and start the next round, i was just stuck in spectator cam for 4 minutes, and eventually respawning in the last minute of the match.

anybody else experiencing these issues?

update:

it happened again in classic bomb squad.

i died in a faceoff with the bomb tech (he died too) and in the next round, i was a ghost. decided to jump off a cliff and walked out into the ocean before i finally fell off the map and died for real.

the grey arrow is where my body is lol.

2gtqgr7.jpg

these problems are not making my MP experience feel very good.

i think i remember MAG having almost the exact same problems too at launch. not being able to die/respawn etc.

Razor 81 said:
Official release date is 22/4 over here, normally games come out on a Thursday but Socom comes Friday and it wont get released any earlier like most games i'm hearing.

Edit: wtf sony. hope this isnt true or we get the content regardless!
http://www.movemodo.com/news/2011/04/european_gamers_not_invited_to_socom_pro_club

But you don't need Socom Pro to play online? Seems they misunderstood that. US players get the additional content for free with a new game. We don't--we don't even know if we'll ever get it, even if we pay.

I wonder what idiots make these decisions at SCEE.

bob page

Picking up my copy on my lunch break today. How is the GAF clan going to work?

Also, I'm not surprised about some of the MP issues going on right now. Even Killzone 3 was janky when everyone was hammering it on launch day.

Giriath_89 said:
But you don't need Socom Pro to play online? Seems they misunderstood that. US players get the additional content for free with a new game. We don't--we don't even know if we'll ever get it, even if we pay.

I wonder what idiots make these decisions at SCEE.
So i did some digging and apparently the EU version of the game can access the pro content without the need for a code, just included in the game automatically.

Razor 81 said:
So i did some digging and apparently the EU version of the game can access the pro content without the need for a code, just included in the game automatically.

Really? Where did you get that information? That would be awesome!

Giriath_89 said:
Really? Where did you get that information? That would be awesome!

From a mod on the EU ps forum's. He got a promo copy of the game early and he took screenshots of the so called 'socom pro playlists' in game. He just couldnt play them yet but i'm hearing the same problems in the US version.

So the content is in there in the EU versions.

Hi-tekk

Neo Member
For those of you playing the game so far. How is the m-16 and the AK-47 so far? Do they seem to be pretty solid guns for online use? Are they over used and or overpowering at all?

Psykotik

just finished the campaign on hard.

forty-five needs her own game. she's so badass.

by the way, about the ending
is there an alternative ending? i opted not to shoot nolan north (yes, that's him as the bad guy). might do the last mission again to see what happens if i shoot him.

W1SSY

Just got the game. Really need to study but I have almost talked myself into playing classic and studying between deaths. Why did SOCOM have to come out this week?

styl3s

about to hop in the shower, chug a monster and pick up my copy, gonna tear up some coop, don't care much about the competitive aspect but that coop is gonna AMAZING.

i need to get a mic but i hate those shitty bluetooth ear piece headsets and my tritton mic doesn't wanna stay in >.<

Psykotik

bob page said:
Worth playing? Do you think the reviews of the campaign were warranted?

i haven't actually read any of the reviews aside from IGN's so i don't really know what most of the complaints are. but i had fun playing through it.

i'd give the campaign a 7.5 out of 10 personally.

there isn't really much story to be had. but what's there is acted out pretty well.

facial animations are also quite impressive. second last mission has some close ups of the characters face where you can see the amount of detail they put into their expressions.

Psykotik

word of warning:

the socom pro code when redeemed, ties to the PSN ID that redeems it.

my main PSN account is singaporean (region 3)

my socom 4 disc is american (region 1)

i redeemed the code using my US account, hoping that i would get the socom pro stuff unlocked and playable with my region 3 main PSN ID.

didn't work. the extra playlists unlocked by the socom pro code can only be played using US account.

looks like i'll need to buy a socom pro membership from the singapore PSN store to play the extra playlists. hope that the socom pro thing is region free.

Mesijs

Psykotik said:
i haven't actually read any of the reviews aside from IGN's so i don't really know what most of the complaints are. but i had fun playing through it.

i'd give the campaign a 7.5 out of 10 personally.

there isn't really much story to be had. but what's there is acted out pretty well.

facial animations are also quite impressive. second last mission has some close ups of the characters face where you can see the amount of detail they put into their expressions.

7.5 would be incredibly forgiving... I don't know which games you compare it to, but if you'd compare it to either third-person action games or tactical shooters, it doesn't hold up to either of them. Bad controls, bad level design, bad story, really bad AI.

Still, it is FUN, that's absolutely true. It's fun shooting bad guys, being a special force, I like the setting and I like the team commands (even though they work really poorly). But it's, at best, a very average singleplayer campaign.

Psykotik

i may be just a tiny bit biased :lol

i'd probably compare it to medal of honor's single player campaign, which was pretty good IMO

bob page

Just picked up my copy at Gamestop. Make sure you check to make sure you have the key on your receipt- the guy almost forgot to give me mine and had to print out a separate one.

Psykotik

why do people keep peeling off what they think is a sticker when they should just be scratching it off slowly with a coin?

241tv9w.jpg

scratch! don't peel!

and don't peel the resistance 3 beta either!

Mesijs

Psykotik said:
i may be just a tiny bit biased :lol

i'd probably compare it to medal of honor's single player campaign, which was pretty good IMO

That's quite a good game to compare it to. I found MoH's SP to feel way more authentic, with a better storyline, better missions, a fantastic atmosphere and better level design. AI is poor in both games though.

LevityNYC said:
Not a good idea putting a sticker over the Socom 4 Pro code on the manual Zipper.

What am I supposed to do? Exchange it at Gamestop?

http://yfrog.com/h4me7juj

Try to scratch that what you have peeled off, that may work.

Also finally an official response regarding Socom pro for Pal regions from the eu blog

I can confirm that SOCOM PRO Access for PAL regions will be available to download for PlayStation Plus subscribers at no extra cost from tomorrows store update for one week (20th April) Following that it will be available to everyone from the 27th April, free of charge.

Curious how this will sell. My store had only 2 people pick up their Socom last night while we have 50+ of MK and Portal 2 guys.

LevityNYC said:
Not a good idea putting a sticker over the Socom 4 Pro code on the manual Zipper.

What am I supposed to do? Exchange it at Gamestop?

http://yfrog.com/h4me7juj

I will NEVER understand why people peel it off.

bob page

Square Triangle said:
Curious how this will sell. My store had only 2 people pick up their Socom last night while we have 50+ of MK and Portal 2 guys.

I will NEVER understand why people peel it off.
I don't think it will sell amazingly initially (especially since people were scared off from the reviews), but as the community starts getting involved, more and more people will start picking it up. There aren't really any PS3 shooters that have online longevity anymore, so if the userbase is dedicated and happy, I'm sure more will pick it up so they can play with their friends.

Top Bottom