• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some new FFXIII tidbits

Tobor

Manmademan said:
Sooo...essentially you cheated your way through the game, SCREWED IT UP, and this is somehow the game's fault, and thus it sucks.

did I get that right? :lol

hh.jpg

Doom_Bringer said:
I can't ****ing wait for Final Fantasy XIII. God the last time I played an AWESOME Final Fantasy was during Fifa World Cup 2002, when Korea was playing against Italy (I got the game that day). Final Fantasy X team is awesome!! They make addictive FF's

**** Matsuno
wow, great post, doom. ffxii is such an awful game - it's right down there with vagrant story, as the worst square game of all time.

i'll also second your **** matsuno. and add a **** amano, while i'm at it. :lol

dai said:
wow, great post, doom. ffxii is such an awful game - it's right down there with vagrant story, as the worst square game of all time.

*Shakes head*

*Leaves thread*

Pimpwerx

dai said:

You're a real piece of shit. Did you know that?

:p

No one bad mouths my favorite rpg of all time and gets away with it. The game is just sublime. I so want a sequel. PEACE.

Eteric Rice

dai said:

*smack*

Tobor

dai said:

Just out of curiosity, and assuming you're not being sarcastic, what in your opinion is the best Square game ever?

I'm going to take a guess: starts with an FF, and ends with a VII, right?

Mrbob

Jamesfrom818 said:
As much as I want to play this game, the PS3 has to go down by $200 before I even think about buying one.

By the time FF13 is out in the USA, it probably will be.

dai said:

So the only two square games to ever rank a perfect score from famitsu are somehow also the worst ever?

ah. ok. that makes sense. BTW: "driving emotion type S" and "Tom Sawyer" would like a word with you

Tobor said:
Just out of curiosity, and assuming you're not being sarcastic, what in your opinion is the best Square game ever?

I'm going to take a guess: starts with an FF, and ends with a VII, right?
nope, it starts with a xeno and ends with a gears. or ffviii. or x-2.

Eteric Rice

I wasn't a fan of XII, though Balthair (sp?) was pretty cool. So was the guy you
help escape from prison.
Other than that, I didn't care for it much.

Ponn

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
I wasn't a fan of XII, though Balthair (sp?) was pretty cool. So was the guy you
help escape from prison.
Other than that, I didn't care for it much.

Good for you. Doesn't sound like you even cared enough to play it. Why are you posting so much in a FF XIII thread again?

Ponn01 said:
Good for you. Doesn't sound like you even cared enough to play it. Why are you posting so much in a FF XIII thread again?

yes, because you didn't like one Final Fantasy out of 12 you could not possibly enjoy the next one...

dai said:

Ah, Xenogears. The game where the protagonist sits in a chair throughout the entire 2nd disc, and dictates what happens to you, rather than actually, you know...playing it yourself.

Truly a milestone in gaming design, that one was.

Eteric Rice

Ponn01 said:

Because I read what Nomura said and I partially agreed, but also disagreed with some of it. Wanted to reply to that part.

From there, mostly discussion and joking around.

Why, am I not allowed to post in an XIII thread? :|

Tobor

dai said:

Yeah, I got nothing here. /backs away slowly.

Manmademan said:
Ah, Xenogears. The game where the protagonist sits in a chair throughout the entire 2nd disc, and dictates what happens to you, rather than actually, you know...playing it yourself.

What he said.

Manmademan said:

sure was. the second disc. was pure bliss. :)

Brofist

Manmademan said:

:lol the only Square RPG I couldn't stomach finishing.

Ponn

Banned
Oh WTF with the Xenogears haters. "wah wah too much story in my RPG wah wah give me more generic ass Tales of stories because I don't like to read or think wah wah"

Xenogears = best damn RPG on PSone right in front of FF9.

Ponn01 said:
Oh WTF with the Xenogears haters. "wah wah too much story in my RPG wah wah give me more generic ass Tales of stories because I don't like to read or think wah wah"

I never said I hated Xenogears. It's a good RPG. Better than FF7, though I don't think I'd prop it up in front of 8 or 9.

the problem wasn't "too much story", the problem is that its very, very obvious the budget was running out, and quite a few major events were only alluded to by a couple of screenshots and fei sitting in a chair talking about it, rather than actually PLAYING through these major battles and events like in the first disc.

I don't care what people say about FF games, I cannot wait to see this game next-gen. Lets just hope they pull out a decent storyline with some characters that you can actually sympathise with.

Manmademan said:

It's like Kill Bill Volumes 1 and 2, except more enjoyable.

Avalon

Ponn01 said:

Nothing wrong with too much story. It's just the fact that they have to spoon feed every single aspect of it to the player... Shit like Xenogears/saga, FFX, it all needs to die.

Ponn

Banned
Avalon said:
Nothing wrong with too much story. It's just the fact that they have to spoon feed every single aspect of it to the player... Shit like Xenogears/saga, FFX, it all needs to die.

Spoon feed? Maybe people were pretty slow on the uptake but just about every major plot in the storyline could have been figured out by the reveal. Generally every RPG reveals the plot to you though because thats how its freaking done. Hell I still remember figuring on the whole soylent green side story with xenogears which they never even revealed in total.

Ponn

Banned
J. M. Romeo said:
I haven't played that game, but I have it in my list for the summer. Just how much of an exaggeration is that statement? (I liked Evangelion, btw)

Theres only one major standout point of this with a battle with a major antangonist. Generally this chair thing was alot of introspective spent on the main characters, psychological problems shall we say.

J. M. Romeo said:
Sorry for the OT: I haven't played that game, but I have it in my list for the summer. Just how much of an exaggeration is that statement? (I liked Evangelion, btw)

heck if you like Eva Play it, you'll enjoy it :)

BTW Its my favorite RPG, but this board doesn't enjoy the game too much.

J. M. Romeo said:
Sorry for the OT: I haven't played that game, but I have it in my list for the summer. Just how much of an exaggeration is that statement? (I liked Evangelion, btw)

I'm not exaggerating at all. The first disc is great. The second is a ball-dropping of epic proportions.

It's still worth playing, but that's mostly what takes Xeno from "great" down to "good" IMHO

Edit: here's a quote from RPGamer that illustrates my point a little better.

While some people may have qualms with certain other aspects of the game, the only definite flaw in Xenogears is the pacing. While the first disc of the game will keep one talking to people for hours on end without a chance to fight, the second disc narrates over large portions of the plot in just a few seconds each. While there are chances to fight both on foot and in gears throughout the game, they generally polarize in such a way that one always longs for a gear battle towards the beginning, and a foot battle towards the end. The game also features anime cut scenes clumped in the first and last few hours, with such long spans without them that one forgets they even exist. The worst pacing issues however come from the fixed text speed, which, while not agonizingly slow, does not complement the verbose nature of the dialog.

Avalon

Ponn01 said:
Spoon feed? Maybe people were pretty slow on the uptake but just about every major plot in the storyline could have been figured out by the reveal. Generally every RPG reveals the plot to you though because thats how its freaking done. Hell I still remember figuring on the whole soylent green side story with xenogears which they never even revealed in total.

Oh please, they tell you they
eat people

Cutscenes are not the only way a story can be told. You have a town, fill it with NPCs and have the player roam around and actually experience what the story is. This whole cinematic approach is bull shit. These are RPGs, they are suppose to be interactive, you are suppose to have some level of control.

Eteric Rice said:
Or you could do the whole Metroid Prime thing.

Sort of...

There are so many ways a story can be told in video games. It's amazing how games use the cinematic approach.

Eteric Rice

Avalon said:
eat people

Cutscenes are not the only way a story can be told. You have a town, fill it with NPCs and have the player roam around and actually experience what the story is.

Or you could do the whole Metroid Prime thing.

Sort of...

Ponn

Banned
Avalon said:
eat people

They never said it. You implied it.

Cutscenes are not the only way a story can be told. You have a town, fill it with NPCs and have the player roam around and actually experience what the story is.

Like I said, play some generic RPG's then. There was still alot of that, hell the whole first hour of the game is that alone. There was still a shitload of story that needed to be told though and people are ignoring one half of the game and concentating on the other half with fei and his whole pyschological shit which could really only be done the way it was done.

Ponn01 said:

Like I said, play some generic RPG's then. There was still alot of that, hell the whole first hour of the game is that alone. There was still a shitload of story that needed to be told though and people are ignoring one half of the game and concentating on the other half with fei and his whole pyschological shit which could really only be done the way it was done.

uh, the second disc wasnt just "fei's psychological problems"

BIG battles and a couple of dungeon exploration segments were literally just told to you in a "this happened and this happened and this happened" fashion with a screen of scrolling text while fei sits in a chair, interspersed with a couple of gear battles.

it was most certainly NOT "the only way it could have been done."

Avalon

Ponn01 said:

It's been awhile, but I recall Citan telling you at some point
Right after you eat a bit of it...
. You also see it happening, so I don't think there is much room for interpretation.

Also, maybe I was a bit quick to rag on Xenogears. I love the game, but I just think the cinematic approach is the absolute worse thing an RPG can do. However, even when you are doing heavy cutscenes it's important to keep the player involved in some way. Xenogears had a lot of scenes that were a lot subtle messages and things that the player needed to think about
Such as the thing involving the children from the orphanage and the Priest
. In games like FFX and Tales of the Abyss there isn't really much beyond what is shown.

Ponn

Banned
Manmademan said:
uh, the second disc wasnt just "fei's psychological problems"

Didn't say it was just that. Don't start putting words in my mouth

BIG battles and a couple of dungeon exploration segments were literally just told to you in a "this happened and this happened and this happened" fashion with a screen of scrolling text while fei sits in a chair, interspersed with a couple of gear battles.

That major fight with the certain antagonist was the only major one that happened in story form which I agree was rushed and even admitted above. Just about all the other parts were fleshed out and even played. What exactly are you talking about? You actually did
yggdrisal city transformer
battle and the underground city.

it was most certainly NOT "the only way it could have been done."

For the time and platform and the huge story that encompassed the game it was done well. I would love to start hearing some of these much better ways that people keep bringing up. Past the whole "walk around town and talk to people" thing and a Metroid FPS refrence (seriously WTF?!)

Wait, what the hell!! You go from this

It's just the fact that they have to spoon feed every single aspect of it to the player

to this

However, even when you are doing heavy cutscenes it's important to keep the player involved in some way. Xenogears had a lot of scenes that were a lot subtle messages and things that the player needed to think about Such as the thing involving
the children from the orphanage and the Priest.

Which is it?

Threi

notag
reading the last page i want to deliver a nice open palm slap in the face to everyone who posted, read, or thought about this thread.

Avalon

Ponn01 said:
Which is it?

It's both obviously. I'm talking about two very different things.

The first refers to a game like FFX were the full extent of the plot is pretty much summed up in cutscenes. There really isn't much to think about in a game like that (hence being spoon feed everything). The second thing is talking about subtlety and getting the player involved through thought and emotions.

Ponn01 said:
Didn't say it was just that. Don't start putting words in my mouth
For the time and platform and the huge story that encompassed the game it was done well. I would love to start hearing some of these much better ways that people keep bringing up. Past the whole "walk around town and talk to people" thing and a Metroid FPS refrence (seriously WTF?!)

If you've been reading what I posted, you'll see that I think that Disc 1 was GREAT. roughly about an hour or two of exploration, followed by 15 minutes of plot and exposition, wash rinse, repeat.

Disc 2 does a complete 180. It's all exposition. not even cutscenes. just a lot of scrolling text with a couple of screenshots, interrupted by the occasional gear battle that comes out of nowhere.

if Disc 2 had been done more in the style of disc 1 (more emphasis on exploration than exposition) Xeno would easily be in the top 2 or 3 on the Psx, if not of all time. Doing Disc 2 in the style of Disc 1 is certainly doable- but it's no secret the team ran into horrendous budget problems and had to cut a lot out. The way the game turned out was not the way it was intended to be.

Wait, what the hell!! You go from this

to this

Which is it?

that was another poster. take it up with him.

d[-_-]b

Banned
So I should be glad that I never got to the second disc of Xenogears? Cause I couldn't beat the boss on the ship thingy or w/e and then I totally gave up and wow was CD long as hell.

Pistolero

dai said:

Gif of the guy smacking that young victim (in a movie theater ?) needed.

PAYBACKill

StevieP said:
Or, they could use H.264 and fit everything on a DVD9. If pirates can make a BluRay/HD-DVD disc fit onto a 4gig DVD-R, I'm sure Square can fit their 10 hours of cinematics onto a couple DVDs.

I think the issue is more largely in game uncompressed streaming textures / geometry. Uncompressing takes up compute cycles and what not, doesnt it? Which would make the xbox360 even farther behind the ps3.

Plus who would want the gimped version of SUCH a vision like this? Its pretty epic...you go to the movie theater for epic stuff, you dont get the bootleg version off a camcorder and watch it at home...at least you shouldn't!!!

Top Bottom