• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Some) Upcoming 3DS 1st-party games @ $35 - Start of a trend?

Did you see the video I posted? Modern Combat 4 looks better than most 3DS releases...

CatsMeOutch-Laughing.gif

Who cares when your big-ass thumbs are covering the screen all the time?

Tagg9

it's a bit harsh. i'd say $40 console games for first-parties, $50 for third-parties, and $30 across-the-board for handheld games is the way things should be. if it's not sustainable, then stop making expensive-ass games.

What about inflation? Just because console games were $40 in the prior generation doesn't mean they should remain so. $40 in 2002 = $50 in 2012.

Pociask

Yup, and $29.99 just sounds a lot more attractive anyway.

It's the oldest bit of salesman-psychology wisdom in the book - you want your price to be attractive. Even if 29.99 is a penny from 30 bucks, you see that 2 up front, it just looks a lot close to 20 bucks. And hey, 20 bucks, why not, that's just one crisp bill, after all.

34.99 says - woah. Wait up. Are you really sure you want to spend that money on this game? You know you've got other things to spend money on, too, right?

I'm with the crazies that think retail games should average around 20 bucks, so, yeah, not too happy with Nintendo trying to sell handheld games for 40 bucks.

CatsMeOutch-Laughing.gif

Who cares when your big-ass thumbs are covering the screen all the time?

Again that's not my point. I don't think that Gameloft games are fun or good games (well maybe some of them are) it just that the "iPhones games are cheap beacuse they are 2D platformers with barely gameplay" is just bullshit, we're seeing some respectable efforts on those systems for less than 1/4 the price of a 3DS/Vita retail release.

hachi

Banned
Gameloft and other companies seems doing fine with their less than 10 dollar iPhone games, and some of these looks way better than most 3DS games.

It has less to do with production costs or tech capabilities of either device; it's just a market gamble of lowest common denominator. A by-the-numbers shooter that looks decent and runs on everyone's smartphone is a default cash cow with so little competition in that genre on those devices. Niche concepts like Luigi's Mansion that run on a dedicated device just can't expect certain levels of sales numbers in any possible universe, no matter what low price they aim for.

(Though yes, the production of 3DS games still likely far, far outpaces the costs of something like Gameloft's iOS shooters; look at the total time spent on Luigi's Mansion by a dedicated group since first announcement prior to the system's launch, including regular Miyamoto visits and involvement from other high-level Nintendo staff.)

zroid

Banned
That's not my point. The fact is that a port/emulated game shouldn't cost as much as full portable releases on iPhone/Android, just because Nintendo.

I'm not really sure what your point is. Perceived value is an actual thing. They don't have to charge less or more for reasons X or Y. They charge whatever their consumers think it's worth. Of course if games aren't selling at the price point they've chosen (like $39.99, it seems), then they lower it.

Glass Rebel

As much I consider Gameloft shit with zero creativty I don't think they steal assets. Even so you can see in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5o3LQreyXY) that they have remarkable production values for a 6€ game.

You can't barely buy Links Awakening DX on the eShop for that price!.

Modern Combat isn't as obvious because it's basically brown shootbang but Starfront is suspiciously close to the source material. From a gaffer in an old Gameloft thread:

dankir said:
I have some friends who worked at Gameloft Montreal. They had a really big book which specifics exactly how much they actually have to modify art assets, character models etc until they are safe from being sued.

They're slick I'll tell you that much. But yeah they literally take the real game assets and just change them enough so their asses are safe.

It isn't the first time they've been accused of stealing.

Also, LADX is better and therefore more expensive :p

It has less to do with production costs or tech capabilities of either device; it's just a market gamble of lowest common denominator. A by-the-numbers shooter that looks decent and runs on everyone's smartphone is a default cash cow with so little competition in that genre on those devices. Niche concepts like Luigi's Mansion that run on a dedicated device just can't expect certain levels of sales numbers in any possible universe, no matter what low price they aim for.

(Though yes, the production of 3DS games still likely far, far outpaces the costs of something like Gameloft's iOS shooters; look at the total time spent on Luigi's Mansion by a dedicated group since first announcement prior to the system's launch, including regular Miyamoto visits and involvement from other high-level Nintendo staff.)

Actually there's quite a few shooters in the system and, even if you may be right, those rules don't apply to other genres that have much more competition, actually is this competition that favours lower prices, and although it may be a bad thing in the long run is good for consumers, and we are consumers after all.

And I agree that still 3DS games probably are more expensive to make than most iPhones games, but enough too cost 5x more?

I'm not really sure what your point is. Perceived value is an actual thing. They don't have to charge less or more for reasons X or Y. They charge whatever their consumers think it's worth. Of course if games aren't selling at the price point they've chosen (like $39.99, it seems), then they lower it.

Seeing 3DS software sales, most consumers don't think it's worth.

Nintendo tried to play the "quality" card so the consumers would think is worth to pay that much money compared mobile gaming. Clearly isn't working that well.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Still baffled Animal Crossing is taking so long.
Nothing more than Nintendo spacing out releases.
There's an assload of text to translate and they are having trouble keeping up with demand for the special carts the game is on in Japan. It's not all that baffling.

zroid

Banned

Nintendo tried to play the "quality" card so the consumers would think is worth to pay that much money compared mobile gaming. Clearly isn't working that well.

In the West, anyway. lol, this is why region locking exists. The disparity in perceived value between Japan and everywhere else for 3DS games in insane.

I'm not arguing with you about the $40 price tag; except for a small handful of games, it just isn't working. Link's Awakening however has sold very well for them on the eShop. I see no problem with charging 6 bucks for it.

I wasn't defending region locking, by the way, in case anyone got that from this. It's largely motivated by greed and sucks massive bollocks for consumers.

Somnid

You need to be more specific when making a claim like this. Some sell well, some do not.

$35. I like it. Has a nice ring to it.

There are a couple games I haven't picked up because the price is still too high: Mario Kart 7 and NSMB2 for example. Unfortunately my interest in these games seems to be dropping faster than the price.

You need to be more specific when making a claim like this. Some sell well, some do not.

Even if some sell well I don't think how we can defend 3DS software sales when they are significantly lower than in the DS, at least in the west.

Portable market is downsizing and price is the biggest reason. IMO.

Even if some sell well I don't think how we can defend 3DS software sales when they are significantly lower than in the DS, at least in the west.

Portable market is downsizing and price is the biggest reason. IMO.

Eh, we'll see. Luigi's Mansion 2 debuted at #5 in the UK Charts this week, pretty impressive feat for an exclusive title in a supposedly dead market.

Pociask

There's an assload of text to translate and they are having trouble keeping up with demand for the special carts the game is on in Japan. It's not all that baffling.

If only Nintendo had a studio dedicated to localizing games! How cool would that be - super early access to finished scripts, with enough staff, they could probably have worldwide simultaneous releases! Heck, if they had some down time, maybe they could just chill, hang out in a tree house or something.

Snakeyes

This is great news. The sooner Nintendo goes back to $30 handheld software, the better, especially with the increased competition from smartphone software pricing.

What about inflation? Just because console games were $40 in the prior generation doesn't mean they should remain so. $40 in 2002 = $50 in 2012.
The original Gameboy launched at $90 in 1989, and yet the GBA was selling at $80 in 2002.

cacildo

U$35 is goooood! Make it to the eshop nintendo!!!

A few weeks ago they released RE Mercenaries on the eshop for $20 and i got it in a heartbeat. No way i was gonna even think about it if the price was $40

Grief.exe

Did you see the video I posted? Modern Combat 4 looks better than most 3DS releases...

As much I consider Gameloft shit with zero creativty I don't think they steal assets. Even so you can see in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5o3LQreyXY) that they have remarkable production values for a 6€ game.

You can't barely buy Links Awakening DX on the eShop for that price!.

The market size is also considerably larger than the 3DS install base.

They are potentially going after hundreds of millions of customers trying to grab attention with graphics and price.

While the 3DS only has 30 million customers and not as much price competition between games.

Hero

i think people are generally accepting of some games at $34.99 due to nintendo messing around at that price point back with the gba, and kept it going with the ds. $39.99 was attempted with the gba in 2001, the psp in 2005, the 3ds in 2011, and the vita in 2012, and it's never been successful. i can't believe they thought it would be a good price point now with mobile games being as inexpensive as they are.

and $29.99 should be the standard price for most handheld games. who the hell is going to buy rune factory 4 at $40?

I've seen you say this in multiple threads but can you provide any proof of the 39.99 MSRP for GBA games? Pretty sure I bought Castlevania Circle of the Moon at 29.99 at launch.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Huh, didn't realize how many people thought the $40 price tag wasn't worth it. I remember paying that much for certain DS games (FF3, tony Hawk's american sk8land) as well as a few psp titles with that price tag.

But hey if you want to lower the msrp standard go ahead, i'm not complaining.

qq more

I always felt $40 was too much. $35 sounds actually alright now.

I know I would totally pay Smash Bros 4 3DS full price either way.

On a side note, I always find it silly that remakes like OoT3D and SF643D were $40...

Well I sure hope this will kick off a trend that makes it way towards Europe as well - I'm looking at you, 45 EUR Fire Emblem (really wanted to have that one as DD).

Nosgoroth

I've seen you say this in multiple threads but can you provide any proof of the 39.99 MSRP for GBA games? Pretty sure I bought Castlevania Circle of the Moon at 29.99 at launch.

I think I remember a price of around 6000 pesetas (~36€) for launch GBA games in Spain, if that helps at all. I don't think it helps at all.

Pretty interesting topic, I see console/handheld gaming as the same and my limit is 39.99 these days, so I buy any 3ds game at launch and wait for console games to go down.

29.99 would be great, but I don't see it happening.

Like some said, I didn't have a big problem with $40, but $35 is really nice. I remember when the original DS came out, and developers tried to make their games $50... lol.

I just hope for more full length, retail quality 2D games. Not every game has to be a 3D graphical showcase in order to sell...

Somnid

Games in general should have more flexible pricing on consoles. You look at the featured games on Steam and prices are all over the place.

SMT is doing a good job of covering the high end, which fans will be fine with because the release schedule on that is kind of unprecedented, and worth paying extra for. Now we need a low end. Not just small eShop games, but full-featured games that might have lower production values, or rely on repeating content/procedural content instead of tightly scripted, expensive levels.

Check out Nintendo's eShop games. There's a reason they charge $10-15.

Both games should be $30. Some games are reasonable at $40 (SM3DL, MK7, PMSS, KIU come to mind), but not every game is fair at that price.

Then again if it's a Mario/Zelda title they can probably get away with it so I can't blame them. OoT 3D and Mario Tennis were overpriced yet did good numbers. If Mario Golf turns out to be as barebones as Tennis, they still are going to price at $40 because it's Mario.

Velcro Fly

I've got a ton of 3DS games at $30 or below either from Amazon Warehouse Deals or Newegg preorders so $30-35 is what I'm used to paying. I don't have DKCR preordered yet but $35 is certainly more tempting than say the full $40.

I'd be fine if first party stuff dropped to $35 in exchange for the fact that it's going to be there forever. Are we sure this isn't just everywhere price matching? GameStop still had DKCR at $40 didn't they? They do have Animal Crossing lower though.

I feel like there are a ton of preorder deals it seems so I normally don't worry about price too much. I feel like for many games $40 is a fair price but I don't mind paying less.

catmincer

I resent paying full price for remakes the most. Especially star fox 64. I don't understand why it is still full price on the estore.

Sendou

Why people have problem paying $40 for a portable game when compared to games on other platforms? Portable game can be as good as any console game in which case $40 is compeletely justified. Of course most aren't and then they should look at the lower price tiers. I mean I want to pay less too but if we're completely honest here portable games aren't ridiculously overpriced when compared to the retail sector overall.

womp

Just preordered three copies of Animal Crossing New Leaf for $89 shipped from NewEgg.

I never pay $39 full price for my 3DS games. Well, Fire Emblem excluded. :p

Top Bottom