• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone at E3 is trying to dump the Zelda Wii U demo on an SD Card

Kamek

Probably the first informative Kotaku article I've seen ever. I assume it's an exclusive from them. That method used to presumably dump the game is something I didn't even know existed. Damn.

Platy

Great article!

But yeah the secret button combination kinda makes it more fantasy like

Also, LOL at what stopped them xD

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Why don't they just release these demos for everyone via the eshop? If you don't live in the US, UK or some major country, you never even get a chance to try this stuff.
It's some bullshit elitism, In the digital age.
You think publishers not releasing every demo they work on to the public is some kind of elitism? lol

Nightbird

Damn, that would have been a great "heist" if true, although it would have made browsing the Internet a lot more of a hassle

shandy706

Why don't they just release these demos for everyone via the eshop? If you don't live in the US, UK or some major country, you never even get a chance to try this stuff.
It's some bullshit elitism, In the digital age.

You think publishers not releasing every demo they work on to the public is some kind of elitism? lol

Once you start letting people outside E3 play it? Like at Nintendo World? Then, yes.

LOL, what?

UrbanRats

Not every demo, no.
Some big 40 minute demo though? They could polish it up and release it, yes.
I think more people should do whatever SE did with the Duscae thing, but again, without trying to sell it only with d1 editions like they did.

The obsession with control this industry has eludes me though.

UrbanRats

I imagine that Nintendo wouldn't particularly want to have all of the information on the next Zelda all over the Internet nine months before launch for no real tangible benefit.
Not all demos get data mined to hell and back, so you could definitely polish that stuff.
But even then, I don't understand the obsession this industry and its fans have with spoilers about every little bullshit.
You watch an e3 interview about the spiderman game, and you get shit like "we aren't talking about that" to basic questions.
I'm not asking them to release the script for the whole game, but a game doesn't stop being fun, because you find out the names of a couple of areas or how many swords are there.
Spoilers obsession and trying to keep everything under wraps like it matters really puzzles me.

To me it's not different from people asking R* whether they're working on red or agent and them going "we can't say anything".
What's the big deal? Just say you're working on it.

Once you start letting people outside E3 play it? Like at Nintendo World? Then, yes.

And risk having that datamined, which people would have unlimited time to do? Plus allegedly the demo is a huge file size. Original tweet put it at 16GB despite being stripped down. They would have to work at stripping it down more. I'm sure they're limited in how much they can actually do that.

Creating a demo is a lot of effort. Article even says that it wasn't running on a retail Wii U, so who knows what other problems they'd have when releasing this to the public?

antonz

Kind of funny to go through all that effort to protect the identity of the person who attempted the theft but give just enough information so they can be tracked down. Nintendo can make sure they never step foot in another E3 again.

Calm Mind

Probably the first informative Kotaku article I've seen ever. I assume it's an exclusive from them. That method used to presumably dump the game is something I didn't even know existed. Damn.

Same here. A rare attempt at actual journalism.

Same here. A rare attempt at actual journalism.

They did some stories on Destiny which were pretty informative, and I think they broke things like Fallout 4, in 2013. They're not my favourite gaming site since it straddles a weird line between a casual blog, a news site, and a buzzfeed-esque setup, but they at least have some legit journalists among them.

OmegaFax

Kotaku piece didn't mention the Super Mario 3D Land E3 2012 demo. It wasn't until last year that someone successfully dumped a development cartridge with the demo on it. How the cartridge made it off the show floor is a mystery. I'm assuming it was meant to be destroyed but somehow exchanged hands until it ended up on the internet.

The way the story unfolded with the Zelda Wii U demo attempt mirrored early attempts at dumping the 3D Land demo. No one initially accounted for the cartridge dumper not working properly on a debug 3DS. The dumper was modified and the game successfully dumped and is playable on retail hardware albeit with same restrictions you'd find playing a store demo on a retail system (i.e. home button doesn't work).

I guess if they pulled it off, it would be the same case with the Wii U. Nintendo prototypes are a rarity and I don't think a Wii U proto has ever been dumped/distributed.

Prototypes are living history ... it's really neat to see the process and direction a game takes before it's released.

Prototypes of newer games or unreleased games are iffy. I think Sonic Advance 3 leaked earlier than it did in retail at the time and some people didn't want anything to do with it.

Nintendo would have responded legally on the Wii U Zelda demo simply because when people did start inevitably digging through the game's files, they'd find references to the NX that Nintendo isn't ready to make public yet.

I'd argue that in the case of most prototypes even Metroid Prime 3 and Mario 3D Land, the damage is very limited/non-existent to the sales or integrity of the IP and isn't worth it for a company to go out or maybe readily try to claim it.

Mentok

Banned
Lmao how is this even possible

Simple.

Mission%20Impossible.jpg

Seriously, some people just ruin it for everyone.

UrbanRats

You want to play it. That doesn't necessarily mean it's worth the effort.

Lol fair enough.
But i think in the digital age, it would make more sense to start establishing a more direct "line" with the customers, instead of having stuff like E3.
I'm not the only one questioning its utility, either (as much fun as it can be, for the spectacle).

Nintendo itself started doing Nintendo Directs.
I think a future where E3 "demos" will actually become just demos, is not far off.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Lol fair enough.
But i think in the digital age, it would make more sense to start establishing a more direct "line" with the customers, instead of having stuff like E3.
I'm not the only one questioning its utility, either (as much fun as it can be, for the spectacle).

I think a future where E3 "demos" will actually become just demos, is not far off.
Thats what I thought/expected ta happen at the start of last gen. Didn't really pan out in the like 10 years since then...

Lol fair enough.

Microsoft tried this once.

They stopped doing it because it was an intense amount of effort for their own studios and third parties who have enough trouble getting E3 demos ready, much less having to clean one up for consumer units who will get significantly more angry if their consoles crash or brick, all the while trying to develop the game they're trying to make.

rhandino

Banned
Yes, because the music and film industry are not like this. AT ALL.

sQOWFk0.gif

Also the Zelda demo is not comparable to what happened to the circumstances around Episode Duscae and it seems the game world is structured in such a way that it would be hella easy to datamine the shit out of the map something they seem very averse rn (I mean, they stripped the demo from NPC to avoid story spoilers) and unless they stripped everything except the demo area... yeah, not worth the effort.

Not all demos get data mined to hell and back, so you could definitely polish that stuff.
But even then, I don't understand the obsession this industry and its fans have with spoilers about every little bullshit.
You watch an e3 interview about the spiderman game, and you get shit like "we aren't talking about that" to basic questions.
I'm not asking them to release the script for the whole game, but a game doesn't stop being fun, because you find out the names of a couple of areas or how many swords are there.
Spoilers obsession and trying to keep everything under wraps like it matters really puzzles me.

To me it's not different from people asking R* whether they're working on red or agent and them going "we can't say anything".
What's the big deal? Just say you're working on it.

In addition to points that have been made above:

A) Releasing a demo has been proven to never in any way affect sales of a title. Why go through the effort to build and release it?

B) Data mining the game might lower your sales if people see the entirety of the game's story, or potentially see a lot of the game's mechanics which don't make sense out of context, making the game seem less appealing.

C) A lot of the time developers don't give answers to those questions is because they don't actually have answers. If they confirm something before it's actually ready, then fans can later accuse them of backtracking or otherwise being misleading, which can lead to negative perceptions. A good business will not reveal information about their products until they are assured that releasing said information can't come back to hurt them,

UrbanRats

Yes, because the music and film industry are not like this. AT ALL.
I didn't say that.
Though a movie has little more beyond "story", and that at least has some reason to be kept under wraps.
Castings and staff choices though are usually announced pretty early, and i don't see why they shouldn't.

Also talking about the fans, gamers (and geeks in general) are the people i've seen most obsessed with pointless "spoilers warning" bullshit around, i think that's a problem.

In addition to points that have been made above:

A) Releasing a demo has been proven to never in any way affect sales of a title. Why go through the effort to build and release it?

B) Data mining the game might lower your sales if people see the entirety of the game's story, or potentially see a lot of the game's mechanics which don't make sense out of context, making the game seem less appealing.

C) A lot of the time developers don't give answers to those questions is because they don't actually have answers. If they confirm something before it's actually ready, then fans can later accuse them of backtracking or otherwise being misleading, which can lead to negative perceptions. A good business will not reveal information about their products until they are assured that releasing said information can't come back to hurt them,

Not all demos make sense, but some demos can really hit it out of the park (as we've seen with PT) so it would probably depend on a game to game basis (no, i don't think every little E3 demo would be worth distributing).

But a lot of this seems to comes down to: Gaming fans would be idiots that can't understand why a feature may be changed, or a WiP can sometimes crash and brick.

I don't think they should have to confirm anything, i just don't see what's so taboo about transparency: "So far we're still deciding around, regarding feature X, could be this, could be that".

At least during the Zelda stream, someone asked about Rupees i think, and the answer was more like "the game is still in development, and things are still being decided, regarding that".
I'd appreciate an even more transparent answer, but still better than a completely lapidary "we're not talking about that".

Not all demos make sense, but some demos can really hit it out of the park (as we've seen with PT) so it would probably depend on a game to game basis (no, i don't think every little E3 demo would be worth distributing).

But a lot of this seems to comes down to: Gaming fans would be idiots that can't understand why a feature may be changed, or a WiP can sometimes crash and brick.

I don't think they should have to confirm anything, i just don't see what's so taboo about transparency: "So far we're still deciding around, regarding feature X, could be this, could be that".

At least during the Zelda stream, someone asked about Rupees i think, and the answer was more like "the game is still in development, and things are still being decided, regarding that".
I'd appreciate an even more transparent answer, but still better than a completely lapidary "we're not talking about that".

How much money did PT make? Was its success in any part due to the demo? I honestly don't know, I've just seen a lot of reports saying that releasing demos to the public very rarely benefits the company.

As to the bolded, I totally agree with you. Again, this isn't only relegated to the gaming industry but yeah, I don't think anyone would think negatively of a company for giving an answer like that. Who knows why they do it that way!

Pwnedkiller

Neo Member
Would you have to hack your Wii U in order to run this? I'm assuming you would and has it leaked? I would be up for trying to get this running on my Wii U.

Great article!

But yeah the secret button combination kinda makes it more fantasy like

Also, LOL at what stopped them xD

Not neccessarily dev units probably have a set of inputs to bring up debug menus so devs can catch errors or monitor performance or restart in case they totally crash the Wii U etc.

Raitaro

Seriously trying to steal and release the demo? Ugh. Way to ruin E3 for future years.Glad they failed.

While I don't support stealing generally I do have to wonder why Nintendo has not seriously considered releasing the demo as a Wii U download via the e-shop. There clearly is a high demand for it!

I mean, why not? We've been waiting for this game for so long already and the latest delay seems purely political due to the NX version needing to be ready. On top of that, plenty of non-journalist people (i.e. the lucky ones) have played it already, so it's not like it's a secret to everyone.

We all need something to play on Wii U for the second half of this year so if they're not releasing (m)any new games, a self-contained demo like this would certainly hit the spot.

While I don't support stealing generally I do have to wonder why Nintendo has not seriously considered releasing the demo as a Wii U download via the e-shop. There clearly is a high demand for it!

I mean, why not?

Because the demo is not the finished product, and it doesn't benefit Nintendo in the slightest to have an incomplete build of the game out for public consumption the best part of a year before anyone can actually buy it, not to mention the fact that it will be datamined within seconds of it hitting the eShop.

The better question is why they would do it, not why not.

Why don't they just release these demos for everyone via the eshop?

There are many reasons but the main one is that you already want to play it, making the idea of a public demo for this game completely meaningless.

Demos made a lot more sense in the past, before streaming and YouTube became a thing.

mimho

The only thing i think about that is "because of this kind of people i can't have a demo released on the e-shop", very silly people for me

Not every demo, no.
Some big 40 minute demo though? They could polish it up and release it, yes.
I think more people should do whatever SE did with the Duscae thing, but again, without trying to sell it only with d1 editions like they did.

Sincerely?

They show this demo in a controlled environment with hosts to explain some things, this is somewhat different from a game demo for a broader public. Releasing this Zelda demo for the mainstream audience would only give the game a bad perception. Besides some other negatives like data mining.

It is an enormous effort to make a "real" demo, especially for an open world game. The developers (and producers) should spend time and money on the game not demos.

Top Bottom