• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Someone at E3 is trying to dump the Zelda Wii U demo on an SD Card

Because year after year people cry about not getting E3 demos on the eShop, and year after year they're told exactly why. It's getting tiresome.

And yes, I mean damage. As in bricking, as unfinished and unstable code can do. And let's not even start on the potential for opening up even more backdoors to hacking the console. All it takes is a buffer overflow...

lol a game demo alone is not going to brick/damage a console. you need to relax dude remember its just videogames

Neiteio

Nintendo is dealing with a pro here, people.

1hrOIbW.gif
At least it's not a double hack

d-gpGa.gif

Hell if it does actually get released I'll play it. Would be cool to be able to experience what some of the attendees at e3 are playing. If not, I can wait until it actually gets released.

That being said Nintendo doesn't owe anyone anything and does not need to release the pre-release demo on the eshop.

gai_shain

No matter if this is true or not atleast this highlighted the people I won't ever have to take serious again. Theft is totally cool if it's just video games. Seriously?

Joey Ravn

Banned
DedSec is at it again, it seems.

Would finally try to figure out Wii U Homebrew if this is available somehow.

Honestly, there's nothing to "figure out": just put a couple of files on the SD, open the browser and go to a certain address and boom, it's done.

3DS downgrading was infinitely more complicated than Wii U homebrew.

Pendas

Banned
As someone who has personally worked with Nintendo Demo's for testing purposes...

This is possible and done all the time. It's how Nintendo distributes Test Builds.

Aurongel

Unsourced trash.

lol a game demo alone is not going to brick/damage a console. you need to relax dude remember its just videogames

Demo builds of software have no layer of QA they have to go through. You can't make that claim without knowing the technical details of this likely fake dumped build.

Uhm, yes. Programs can brick everything if there is a bug in them (e.g. delete system files). This goes even more for code in which memory is managed manually (e.g. in games). Devs have a QA department for a reason.

NateDrake

As someone who has personally worked with Nintendo Demo's for testing purposes...

This is possible and done all the time. It's how Nintendo distributes Test Builds.

That's different than E3. You can't just walk up to the Wii U, put an SD card in, grab the GamePad, go through the settings menu, and leave without anyone noticing. Only way this person managed to do this is that they broke into the the Nintendo booth.

That's different than E3. You can't just walk up to the Wii U, put an SD card in, grab the GamePad, go through the settings menu, and leave without anyone noticing. Only way this person managed to do this is that they broke into the the Nintendo booth.
Not to mention E3 hasn't even started yet, so whomever this is would have to be getting it from somewhere else, someplace very closely watched by Nintendo.

Rich!

Just looked at KAT

there's nothing even remotely Zelda related uploaded in the last six days, and that was a hentai comic.

And this wouldn't be leaked via public trackers anyway. It'd be on that Wii U ISO site, or via private sharing to begin with.

Gaspard

Just looked at KAT

there's nothing even remotely Zelda related uploaded in the last six days, and that was a hentai comic.

And this wouldn't be leaked via public trackers anyway. It'd be on that Wii U ISO site, or via private sharing to begin with.

That one dude was joking :p

I remember a long time ago the Sonic Heroes E3 demo getting leaked and full plot and all levels were in there to some form of completion. edit: Hmm looking now the only prototype info I can find doesn't match up.

Nintendo wise a Donkey Kong 64 E3 demo dump exists. edit: It was re-used for store kiosks so basically same situation as Skyward Sword.

I've seen Nintendo employees use SD cards to install demo's, but I'm not sure if this is possible.
If they left the SD in the system or something it is possible. That is how the Wii diagnostic disc got leaked (someone found it in the disk drive after they got their Wii back from a repair) but this tweet seems to be nonesense...

I doubt its a free demo. From the Treehouse, it seems the game has a Demo mode and a mode where you could possibly experience the whole area and doesnt stop after xxx minutes.
Bill said I forgot to disable that implying a secret button code removes the limit.

No it didn't... That leak was from a store kiosk demo months after e3, it just happened to be the same demos from e3 on the kiosk disc.

It did, however, happen to other games like star fox 2.
The two Star Fox 2 prototypes didn't come from cartridges according to the people who released them and also the builds we have look a bit different from those shown at E3.

Top Bottom