• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 3 is the best 2D sonic game, right?

entremet

I've been messing around with the classic Sonic series, replaying them all of late. I'm on Sonic 3. Not Sonic 3 and Knuckles, just vanilla Sonic 3. I'll do Sonic 3 and Knuckles after beating Sonic 3.

But Sonic 3 is just amazing:

-One of the best soundtracks of all the games. And that's not saying something as the other classic Sonic games aren't slouches in the OST department as well. I heard Michael Jackson may have wrote some tunes, but I have no idea how accurate that is. Also dat Hydocity Act 2 theme is glorious.

-Favorite Chaos emerald game. I love the sphere game and it kills all the other Chaos emerald games.

-Huge levels. This is where Sonic 3 stands out. The levels are massive and there seems to be so many nooks and cranny and the game design rewards looking for stuff as well.

I know many people love Sonic 2 and I played Sonic 2 when it was released and many times since. It's still great, but too many iffy zones for me to give it the title.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I think Sonic 1, 2 and Sonic & Knuckles are all better TBH, with Sonic 1 and 2 being my favourites.

And yeah, Jacko did work on the S3 OST.

As someone who didn't grow up with Sonic, Sonic Rush for me. Mostly due to Naganuma.

Besides the music, I like it because it's fast, fun, often twitch-based gameplay, but I can totally understand why fans of old Sonic games wouldn't like it.

ZeroGravity

I don't see why anyone would exclude Sonic 3 & Knuckles in favor of just Sonic 3. You're literally playing only half the game. They were intended to be played together.

Lasdrub

I really liked Advance. Sonic Rush is also pretty good. I liked both of those more than 3. I haven't played Colors, Generations, or the episodic games.

I have no nostalgia for 3. I bought and played it on Wii.

entremet

sonic 3 is a subset of sonic 3+ knuckles, so s3+k is better by default.

I know that they're were originally planned as a standalone game. But I separate them for clarity's sake.

Also I never did the lock on. I played them separately on my Genesis.

Close. The correct answer is "Sonic 3 & Knuckles".

This guy knows what's up.

TowerofSega.jpg

Slygmous

It felt like a step down from Sonic 2 at first, until I locked on S&K.
I didn't know what would happen, I was just a child. My mind was blown.

NJShadow

I agree, but I think the game was better with 'Sonic & Knuckles' added on, mainly because you got the full story. But I can still deal with just 'Sonic 3' too, because it was and still is amazing. 'Sonic 3 & Knuckles' is my favorite game of all time (although 'The Last of Us' is seriously challenging that).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think it is too. Definitely.

You're in for a hell of a fight, though...

Sonic 2 is for me. And Rush.

As someone who didn't grow up with Sonic, Sonic Rush for me. Mostly due to Naganuma.

Besides the music, I like it because it's fast, fun, often twitch-based gameplay, but I can totally understand why fans of old Sonic games wouldn't like it.
Yeah Rush represents my favourite of the modern style. Sonic 2 remains the pinnacle of the retro style. 3&K I felt added annoying power ups.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
When I was a kid the look of S3&K was mindblowing, especially compared to Super Mario World. I still think they're really great looking 16-bit games.

S3+K is superior just because it's just more greatness, but I agree that S3 laid out the base of the best 2D Sonic experience.

As a kid the system change of allowing save files was a life changer.

ASIS

I've been messing around with the classic Sonic series, replaying them all of late. I'm on Sonic 3. Not Sonic 3 and Knuckles, just vanilla Sonic 3. I'll do Sonic 3 and Knuckles after beating Sonic 3.

But Sonic 3 is just amazing:

-One of the best soundtracks of all the games. And that's not saying something as the other classic Sonic games aren't slouches in the OST department as well. I heard Michael Jackson may have wrote some tunes, but I have no idea how accurate that is. Also dat Hydocity Act 2 theme is glorious.

-Favorite Chaos emerald game. I love the sphere game and it kills all the other Chaos emerald games.

-Huge levels. This is where Sonic 3 stands out. The levels are massive and there seems to be so many nooks and cranny and the game design rewards looking for stuff as well.

I know many people love Sonic 2 and I played Sonic 2 when it was released and many times since. It's still great, but too many iffy zones for me to give it the title.

There are similarities between the OST and MJ's work. What's crazy is that the OST resembles some of his future work as well. So it's very likely that he did the OST.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sonic CD has always been my favorite.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is a very close second though.

I loved CD as a kid, but looking back at it now, wow, the level design is just...wow. See, the brilliance of the level designs of 2 and 3&K IMO was that they were very strongly vertical as well as horizontal, but despite their freedom and despite the repeated tiles they were incredibly smart in laying out actual geometry so that every level had distinct "landmarks" that you could learn quickly and build up an internal representation of the level with. Sonic CD's level design is a mess in contrast, its just so easy to get lost because everywhere looks like everywhere else.

Top Bottom