• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 3 is the best 2D sonic game, right?

I prefer Sonic 1 to the sequels. There's some platforming purity in the first that was lost in the later games. Sonic 2 is still pretty damn good, and Sonic & Knuckles is not a bad game by any measure. For some reason I never got Sonic 3 or Sonic CD back then, I think I felt that I've had enough Sonic games already...

Burai

shitonmychest57
^ just remembered another reason why Sonic 3 vanilla is objectively inferior... Yellow socks?? C'mon, Knux.

Fortunately, S3&K wipes this travesty from existence.

It also wipes a ton of great music from existence.

Save us Christian Whitehead with your selectable soundtracks!

entremet

i believe there is a bonus option in sonic and knuckles xbla to lock on.

found it
Sonic1.jpg

Oh cool. Must have been a patch. I don't remember it supporting it originally.

I think I'm confusing this release with the Sonic Genesis Collection which did not have lock on.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, Sonic 2 is still king. Metropolis Zone has the best music of the franchise.

And I also like Sonic 1 more than 3 and Knuckles. Never finished CD, but from what I played of the Steam version, it's way too complicated with the weird level layouts and time travel.

Ogni-XR21

Sonic 2 for me. While I really like being able to save your game in 3+K I prefer the size of the zones in S2. It's more pick up and play compared to the sometimes almost too long stages of 3.

entremet

Nah, Sonic 2 is still king. Metropolis Zone has the best music of the franchise.

And I also like Sonic 1 more than 3 and Knuckles. Never finished CD, but from what I played of the Steam version, it's way too complicated with the weird level layouts and time travel.

It's up there, but I prefer Hydocity Act 2.

sibarraz

Banned
I think that the biggest problem with sonic cd is that nobody explains you the time travel mechanic (don't know if the manual did it back in the day) so if you don't play the game with that mechanic in mind, the game is really bland, because the stages from the past really change lots of things.

Like I said previously, the only thing that I found bad in sonic cd is wacky workbench

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I was inclined to answer Sonic 3&K, but this thread has inspired me to go back and revisit the classic Sonic games to see if I still feel this way.

That being said, what is GAF's preferred platform on which to play the old Sonic games?
Wii VC is good.
XBLA/PSN and the recent compilation discs are butt.

I think that the biggest problem with sonic cd is that nobody explains you the time travel mechanic (don't know if the manual did it back in the day) so if you don't play the game with that mechanic in mind, the game is really bland, because the stages from the past really change lots of things.
It does (seriously, why wouldn't it?), but I honestly have more fun with Sonic CD playing it like a "normal" Sonic game (race to the goal, collect the emeralds time stones). This makes for a short game but I usually prefer that over setting aside 2 hours for something like S3K. Searching for the machines in the past is boring and I wish the time travel was more seamless.

Soma

Sonic 3 edges it out for me. Hydrocity (an actually amazing water focused zone) and Ice Cap (good lord that music) are some of my favorite zones in the entire franchise. Love the final boss fight too. In the past it was between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 for me, but thinking back on it 2 has a bunch of throwaway zones (Hill Top, Oil Ocean, etc) mixed with a bunch of amazing ones (Chemical Plant).

Since we're all Sonic experts here.

I played Sonic 4 on Wii and hated it. What they dared to name it made it even worse.

Never played Ep2, never had any interest too either. Its on sale on Xbox Live now. The Sonic fan in me is saying ohh you gotta play it, just to say you have. But am I really just throwing away money?

The fact that Sonic Generations a game I loved, is like only a few $ more in price just doesn't seem right.

Sonic 4 Episode 2 is a bad 2D Sonic game, but even a bad 2D Sonic still has that enjoyable core gameplay in its favour. Running around pinging off things is always fun on some level. I'd recommend it for £3.75 or so.

Ferr986

Episode 2 is better than 1, but is still far away of the quality of the classics Sonics.
Music is cringeworthy, especially after hearing the wonderful music some fans did for the fangame Sonic after the sequel.

Coreda

Yea, MJ worked on the OST. The Sonic 3 Ending Theme is the basis of Stranger in Moscow, released later.

I remember playing either Sonic 1 or 2 on the Game Gear. It may have been both. Early Sonic was great. I've never played the 3D versions but have seen recommendations on gaf.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Since we're all Sonic experts here.

I played Sonic 4 on Wii and hated it. What they dared to name it made it even worse.

Never played Ep2, never had any interest too either. Its on sale on Xbox Live now. The Sonic fan in me is saying ohh you gotta play it, just to say you have. But am I really just throwing away money?

The fact that Sonic Generations a game I loved, is like only a few $ more in price just doesn't seem right.

Ep. 2 is miles better than Ep. 1, but that's not saying much considering how crappy Ep. 1 is.

Top Bottom