• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 3 is the best 2D sonic game, right?

I Got my Megadrive with the Sonic Bundle and I got the Mega CD just for Sonic CD...

Best Game for me was Sonic CD, Travelling through time was great and added variety, trying to find areas where you could speed up fast enough to travel, the different music, and the best end credits ever with those great short cartoons...

Also the race v Metal Sonic was (at the time) badass!

Sonic CD
Sonic and Knuckles
Sonic 2
Sonic

Although to be fair, all 4 of them are the pinnacle of Sonic

Also Chaotix... Damn you all, wanted a 32x but never got one :(

arit

2 > 1 > 3+K

Every time I try playing Sonic CD I lose motivation rather quickly because the level design just confuses me.

I remember Sonic Rush being everything bad people say about the Sonic series, like trial and error pitfalls out of nowhere while giving the impression it is all about holding right without the forced non lethal stops the Mega Drive Sonics had.

Sonic 1 MS/GG had a great soundtrack by yuzo koshiro.

n00bsauce

Banned
tumblr_lxr965tPX71r9zabzo1_400.gif

lolnope. Definitely not the best, simply due to this. One massive failure of game design.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one.

I think I died 4-5 times due to time. I raged quit because of this one spot

Better music, nicer visuals, interesting gimmick.

Sonic 2 is just more of the same, I'd rather play Sonic 3 if I'm going that route.

Interesting opinion! I've genuinely never met anyone who values Knuckles' Chaotix. When I played it I was bored beyond reason. I won't deny the visuals and sound are lovely though, and I dug the special stages.

Fugu

Sonic 1:
+ By far the hardest
+ Consistent stages
+ Labyrinth Zone may be the best Sonic stage there is
+ Good music
- No spindash and generally slower
- Mediocre special stages

Sonic 2:
+ Great stages, only Metropolis Zone is too long/dull
+ Great music
+ Very fun special stages
+ Game-breaking emeralds can be ignored by picking Tails
+ Best competitive multiplayer
+ Probably the best-looking art in the series
- Extremely easy to the degree that completing the game without dying isn't much of a feat

Sonic 3 & Knuckles:
+ Good, massive stages
+ Again, great music
+ Very long
+ Nice character variety
+ Blue Sphere is amazing
+ Great character art, good background art
- So unbelievably easy; the game is about as easy as Sonic 2 with Sonic + Tails if you pick Sonic only and it only gets easier from there
- Launch Base Zone and Sandopolis Zone drag considerably; others, like Marble Garden Zone, tread dangerously close to doing so as well

Sonic CD is not worth considering to me; I think the game is a mess. Better than most of post-Heroes but not better than Adventure. I had more fun with 3D Blast and the early GG games.

I would give the edge to Sonic 2 simply because Sonic 3 and Knuckles' length works against it so often. In addition, while both of the games are quite easy, Sonic 3 is just that much more so. Blue Sphere is definitely the greatest special stage, however.

I would call it 2 > 1 = 3. I beat 2 probably once a month due to the fact that I can knock it out in about an hour. I replay 1 once every few months, although over the last couple of years I have really been playing it more often due to the fact that I have a much greater appreciation for its challenge now. I used to play 3 all the time but I'm doing so less and less now; I find myself getting burned out on the big stages.

I've always felt that way about Sonic 3 and Streets of Rage 3. I tried Sonic CD but I couldn't get into it. It felt really difficult to tell what was in the foreground and what was in the background.

Close. The correct answer is "Sonic 3 & Knuckles".

& Knuckles always felt like a bunch of reject levels that weren't good enough to make the cut. Not terrible enough to trash out right but not up to par with the quality of 3.

Jaxter09

Just replayed the first Sonic in light of this thread; god those last few levels are cheap and frustrating. I didn't die once until the boss on Labyrinth Zone; where it ended up taking 15+ save state deaths on the final checkpoint.

I never liked Sonic 3 much. It was definitely the weakest of the old games for me. CD was my least favourite but the HD version with it's fixed spin dash made me love it.

The music and level aesthetics are great, but I hate the layout of the levels. It's more enjoyable as a whole with S3&K in my opinion.

Also, Sonic looks like a smug douche on Sonic 3; his smirk irks me.

zainetor

Banned
Just replayed the first Sonic in light of this thread; god those last few levels are cheap and frustrating. I didn't die once until the boss on Labyrinth Zone; where it ended up taking 15+ save state deaths on the final checkpoint.

cmon, it's not that hard. Labyrinth boss, requires just a modest amount of patience.

Akira_83

Banned
starlight zone is the greatest piece of music in 2d gaming ever

period

and i vote Sonic 1 all the way

nothing beats the first, nothing

entremet

Didn't know the Labyrinth Zone was so hated. I knew the Marble zone was. It's a total buzzkill. I loved the Labyrinth Zone. The music is lovely and I love water levels.

sibarraz

Banned
Yep; the drowning music haunts me to this day...

If you are calm the water levels are not that bad, and found them fast too, more in the sense that you really need to be fast at that particular segment in order to advance

At least I prefer that over those stages with trial and error traps

Tain

save states in sonic, of all things?

come on man

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Not to mention the XBLA/PSN versions don't allow you to input cheat codes like level select and coolest of all, debug mode. Because of achievements/trophies, I think. PSN doesn't even have S&K for some emulation reason, as I recall.

entremet

Not to mention the XBLA/PSN versions don't allow you to input cheat codes like level select and coolest of all, debug mode. Because of achievements/trophies, I think. PSN doesn't even have S&K for some emulation reason, I think.

Yeah, the Wii VC versions were done by M2. Those guys are masters of emulation.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wut. There's only one water zone in Sonic 3.
One focused on being water-themed, yeah. But there was little sections that had water in levels like Angel Island Zone 2 and Carnival Night Zone 2, so I think he's referring to those.

sibarraz

Banned
I think that the only problem with knuckles chaotix is that it feels really bland, and the main stages doesn't look ''next gen'' at all the bonus stages are interesting I guess

Karkador

Banned
The 16 bit Sonic games (along with 16-bit Mario games) really show how so many modern 2d platformers (or games with 2d sections) really put very little effort and detail into the feel of the movement.

Rhapsody

Banned
Sonic 3 (and Knuckles) is definitely my favorite out of the 2D ones while 2 is just behind. CD was fun and all but it had nothing on those two for me.

dropbear

Banned
I was inclined to answer Sonic 3&K, but this thread has inspired me to go back and revisit the classic Sonic games to see if I still feel this way.

That being said, what is GAF's preferred platform on which to play the old Sonic games?

Top Bottom