• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic 3 is the best 2D sonic game, right?

I had no problem with the barrel, it clicked right away for me.

Guess I was just lucky!

edit: and I guess my avatar warrants an opinion. Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the best. Sonic 2 is the runner-up.

Shads

Sonic 3 & Knuckles for me. Same great Sonic 3 plus even more levels, music, and an epic conclusion. For a game that has zero dialogue and simple animations, I thought it was very effective on telling a story. And there's even replayability with using Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles and finding new paths that weren't possible with others.

As much as I like Sonic 1, if I'm being honest Marble Zone is a huge detriment to the game's replayability to me. I can't stand the music and it seems near impossible to beat in the iOS port.

Marble Garden Zone, on the other hand....man, I'm seeing so much hate for this zone and I just don't get it. All my favorite Sonic 3 level tropes--huge, expansive, filled with Giant Rings--perhaps more than any other Sonic 3 zone Marble Garden them in spades. Its even better when you play it as Knuckles or Tails.

qq more

The people who think that Sonic 2 is better than Sonic 3 & Knuckles must be the same sort of people who like Dr. Mario more than Tetris and Super Smash Bros. Brawl more than Melee. But hey, it's OK to like inferior things.

I like Sonic 3 & Knuckles more than Sonic 2 and I like Brawl more than Melee

:O

As much as I like Sonic 1, if I'm being honest Marble Zone is a huge detriment to the game's replayability to me. I can't stand the music and it seems near impossible to beat in the iOS port.

Marble Garden Zone, on the other hand....man, I'm seeing so much hate for this zone and I just don't get it. All my favorite Sonic 3 level tropes--huge, expansive, filled with Giant Rings--perhaps more than any other Sonic 3 zone Marble Garden them in spades. Its even better when you play it as Knuckles or Tails.
Marble Zone is a big pain to time attack in, as proven with the iOS port... Even with a proper gamepad, ugh. I like the music of the stage at least. Oh and Act 3... why did that segment near the end exist?! :(

Marble Garden Zone is probably hated because of its sake of the complexity. Personally? I like the stage. It's not bad at all. I especially like the earthquake section right before the Act 2 boss.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I just remembered all the hours I spent using Debug Mode on S3&K. ESPECIALLY when I'd make it so Knuckles would go into an area that only Sonic/Tails could & vice versa. That was awesome.

Terra_Ex

Sonic 3 & Knuckles all the way, with Sonic 2 just shortly behind it. Ended up hating CD myself after many years of it being hyped up by the internet as the best Sonic game I ended up being greeted by levels littered with obstacles every two steps to kill your momentum and far too many shitty spring-based clusterfuck levels I never want to see again.

Debug mode was great on Sonic 2, always used to quickly trap my sister (who played Tails) in a hastily crafted cage of spikes from which their was no escape.

I dunno, at only the 4th level of the game, Labyrinth Zone kills all of the momentum of the game, and I have a lot of patience for Sonic water levels. Can you believe that they were originally planning for Labyrinth Zone to be the second zone of Sonic 1?

I'm glad they didn't, being chased by the lava was tear inducing enough for me as a kid.

I like Sonic 3 & Knuckles more than Sonic 2 and I like Brawl more than Melee

I realized Melee/Brawl was a bad analogy but by then it was too late to edit it to something else.
Melee/Original SSB then. :p

S3 sprite is awful(I think it is the eyes I really hate about it), but not as awful as modern sonic. Sonic 2 sprite is the best and it isn't even close.

wtmxhUb.png

Gotta love those tiny disproportionate hands.

Gotta hate that faithfulness in resembling the official art.

Yagharek

I don't quite get the disclaimer in the thread title.

Not only is Sonic 3 the best 2D Sonic game, it is by logical extension the best Sonic game full stop.

Well, Sonic 3 & Knuckles is. Although nothing is wrong with suggesting Sonic 2 or CD.

Spinluck

Yes, that is correct, Sonic 3 & Knuckles was the best.

I still think Sonic 1 had the best soundtrack.

In order soundtrack wise Sonic 1>>Sonic 3>>Sonic 2.

It's easily Sonic CD. Spend some time with it, learn how to play it and you'll find a really rewarding experience. You don't play it like a regular Sonic game, there's a much bigger emphasis on exploration. Not only finding the time travel signs and the generators, but finding the best place to do a run without stopping is satisfying.

Sonic CD > Sonic 1 > Sonic 3 & Knuckles > Sonic 2

I just remembered all the hours I spent using Debug Mode on S3&K. ESPECIALLY when I'd make it so Knuckles would go into an area that only Sonic/Tails could & vice versa. That was awesome.
Debug mode was an amazing thing, it was like a precursor to all the console command dickery I would come to do in PC games later.

It's weird to consider something like that being in a console game when you think about them nowadays.

Aghiliz

Neo Member
Sonic CD over Sonic 3 & Knuckles?

Call me unaware but I never knew anyone on the planet had this opinion.

For me Sonic CD has always been my favorite.
Sonic 2 is second
Sonic 3 & Knuckles is very close to be second though :3 ( loved Ice Cap Zone though >.<)

Sonic CD over Sonic 3 & Knuckles?

Call me unaware but I never knew anyone on the planet had this opinion.
Back in the early 90s it was generally considered by most magazines at the time to be the best one, IIRC.

I also think that people had more patience back then and would play a game for longer before dismissing it.

BiggNife

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the best, followed closely by 2.

CD is overrated, imo. It's got interesting ideas but some of the level design just feels really sloppy.

You cannot tell me with a straight face that Wacky Workbench is not one of the worst 2D Sonic zones.

btrboyev

I prefer both Sonic 2. In some regards even 1.

3 was always a have finished game to me, and it I n fact was. It also had the worst soundtrack.

People talking mess about Marble zone breaks my heaet. I love the level and the music. IMO, Sonic 1 has the best soundtrack of the series.

Am I the only one who hates the blue orb special stage? Cant stand them, and i suck at them. Only way i ever could was with slow mo on a special controller.

taybul

Sonic CD had amazing music, loved variations of the music based on the time period and good/bad outcomes. I owned the PC version which had all the music as audio tracks on the CD and I would just listen to them on my CD player. Hated the bonus levels, really didn't like having to find long stretches just to go back and forth in time.

Sonic 2 is pretty near and dear to me because it's what came with my Genesis. I LOVED the bonus levels and getting super sonic just felt so rewarding.

Sonic 3/Knuckles, I never owned a copy myself but played and beat at my cousins house. Really innovative gameplay and bosses. That damn barrel in the carnival zone kept us up at nights. Hyper sonic was cool but you could get reckless easily. The last level/chase is amazing as is the music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uNfjhML8Lw).

My vote would have to go with Sonic 2.

kinda surprised nobody's mentioning the Game Gear versions. I really liked the second one!

Tain

The actual correct answer:

250px-Sonic1_box_usa.jpg

yuuuup

Sonic 2 gets cool in the last stage or so, but the original has a much more interesting difficulty curve and the generally disliked Labyrinth Zone is actually a good level. Sonic 3 and Knuckles have some standout bad stages.

But Sonic CD, man. I don't mind slower stages at all but they seem like a complete hideous mess in Sonic CD. I haven't been able to stand playing the game for very long, lol.

Sonic 3 is my all time favorite plataformer. It has it all and it never gets old. The reason why it's better than S&K is because of the levels.

It has better bonus stages, better music and more speed.

Also, having a snow level that is actually fun should count a lot. Snow levels in games are usually trash.

Top 10 all time game for me and i wish Sega would just keep making new levels for it, instead of new Sonic games.

Maedhros

Sonic CD is a clusterfuck in terms of level design. It's all over the fucking place. It's just an okay Sonic.

Sonic 3&K > Sonic 2 > Sonic CD > Sonic 1

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Close. The correct answer is "Sonic 3 & Knuckles".
Absolutely. S3+K is the ultimate 2D Sonic experience.

although S+K vanilla still has the best title screen :p
fL5yslp.gif

I'm partial to Sonic 2. It had just the right amount of improvements and great pacing leading up to a fittingly epic feeling finale. S3&K is no slouch either though, and S1 has a very particular vibe I really enjoy. Haven't played Sonic CD enough to know where I'd place it in the pantheon.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the best, followed closely by 2.

CD is overrated, imo. It's got interesting ideas but some of the level design just feels really sloppy.

You cannot tell me with a straight face that Wacky Workbench is not one of the worst 2D Sonic zones.

You know, I see people bring up Wacky Workbench a lot when they talk about not liking Sonic CD. That's fine and all, but then I question why they never mention the bad zones in the others games like:

Marble Zone
Labyrinth Zone
Metropolis Zone
Marble Garden Zone
Sandopolis Zone

I find all of these to be far worse than Wacky Workbench.

Spinluck

Sonic CD is a clusterfuck in terms of level design. It's all over the fucking place. It's just an okay Sonic.

Sonic 3&K > Sonic 2 > Sonic CD > Sonic 1

There is no way Sonic CD is better than Sonic 1.

Sonic CD's level design was so evil, they were are also super forgettable.

You know, I see people bring up Wacky Workbench a lot when they talk about not liking Sonic CD. That's fine and all, but then I question why they never mention the bad zones in the others games like:

Marble Zone
Labyrinth Zone
Metropolis Zone
Marble Garden Zone
Sandopolis Zone

I find all of these to be far worse than Wacky Workbench.

I actually liked Marble Zone, but it had no right being a second level, lol.

It was such a sudden change in pace, but I think it set the pace for the game. Basically letting us know the game will have actual platforming, and not be as straightforward as Green Hill.

Absolutely. S3+K is the ultimate 2D Sonic experience.

although S+K vanilla still has the best title screen :p
fL5yslp.gif

#teamcg

sibarraz

Banned
Marble Zone is super easy, and overall the parts that require to slow things like pushing a block are not that much, and if you really master the game, lots of parts could be done quick which is really gratifying

Maedhros

There is no way Sonic CD is better than Sonic 1.

Sonic CD's level design was so evil, they were are also super forgettable.

I actually liked Marble Zone, but it had no right being a second level, lol.

It was such a sudden change in pace, but I think it set the pace for the game. Basically letting us know the game will have actual platforming, and not be as straightforward as Green Hill.

#teamcg
I simply hate Sonic 1 more than Sonic CD.

TheOGB

Banned
Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 are different beasts, both excellent in their own ways
This.

Sonic 3 is definitely the better half of 3&K, though the whole package is just more quantity of quality than Sonic 2, straight up. I prefer playing Sonic 2, but that's because if I start playing Sonic 3&K, I'm gonna want to play as Sonic and Tails with a friend through the whole damn thing. :p

Top Bottom