• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Adventure 3 may never happen

Vidiot

I never understood the chao garden love. So boring. Go get a virtual pet and leave that boring shit out of Sonic.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I always thought this was technically SA3 based on the Japanese title:

oIVvN7b.jpg

Also, nostalgia is a hell of a drug if people are in this thread saying Adventure had really tight/great controls. I'll give you decent level design but SA 1 and 2 have way too many flaws to be put on the pedestal people want it to be on.

Kneefoil

Good! They shouldn't give us Adventure 3. Actually calling any future game Sonic Adventure 3 would just be asking for trouble.

What they should do is give us a game that plays pretty similar Sonic and Shadow stages, and maybe it could have a Chao Garden. Lost World was a step in the right direction for what I'd like to see: a fully 3D action platformer that gives the player more precise control than the boost gameplay does. Lost World suffers from other design decisions, though, and I ended up enjoying the game less overall than Generations.

Sonic 06 was a broken game not because it tried to be adventure 3 but because Sonic Team is inept.
I would even hesitate to say that it's because ST was inept. The development of S06 was a total shitshow. It was rushed so that it could be an anniversary game, and the team split mid-development so that they could make Secret Rings for the Wii. If it was up to Sonic Team and not the higher ups, I doubt they'd done either of those things.

I've missed the last few Adventure threads so I'm just gonna say this here.

I like the treasure hunting stages.

Except Mad Space.

What the fans really need is a Sonic Battle 2 from the Yakuza devs

Semi joking

After Sonic the Fighters and that I want another Sonic fighting game as well.

You have so many characters to add now. Like Team Chaotix, Babylon Rogues, The Sinister Six, Cream, Silver and Blaze. You can include Boom versions and Sticks as well.

I mean look at the Sonic side of Mario & Sonic at the 2016 Rio Olympic games.

oIVvN7b.jpg

Also, nostalgia is a hell of a drug if people are in this thread saying Adventure had really tight/great controls. I'll give you decent level design but SA 1 and 2 have way too many flaws to be put on the pedestal people want it to be on.

Even more evidence.

Tuck

Thats fine. Stick to Generations gameplay. Just without the added shit that is looking to ruin Forces. Adventure style gameplay can stay in the grave where it belongs.

LordKasual

Banned
It already happened.

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_Next-Gen_Box_Art.JPG

.....Twice.

maxresdefault.jpg

Sega just isn't who they used to be, and they stopped caring about giving off the illusion that they were ages ago

The horrible truth:

Sonic Adventure 3 will never happen as you want it to.

And even if it did...it would just be terrible.

Gameplay allows full 3D control. More exploratory. More precision control and 3D platforming. Real 3D pinball physics. Boost games throw all of this out in favor of Burnout-style race-tracks that cram 2-D segments in between.
So wouldn't opening up the levels a bit and tightening the controls solve this, or at least scratch that itch a bit more? Is the Boost gameplay really that unsalvageable to where it can't possibly be improved, or is it just another case of Sonic fan hyperbole?

I dunno, I just don't get how we can complain about Sega throwing the baby out with the bathwater and failing to build on what works, but then turn around and demand that Sega do exactly that and either scrap everything and start from scratch...or scrap everything and go back to whatever the new hotness is in the nostalgia department.

I mean, it wasn't that long ago when the general consensus was that the Adventure style and all it represented was as fundamentally flawed and in dire need of a total overhaul as some claim the Boost formula is now. People were wrong to dismiss the positives back then, and history's repeating itself these days. Is it really that hard to take a look at the entire series and determine what worked, what could work, and what clearly didn't work, and go forward from there?

I'm okay with that. I just want to play with characters outside of Sonic, grandiose story-lines featuring talking animals in a world of humans, and satisfying gameplay that rely on speed and response.

Also Chao Garden.

I will always hate Sonic 06 being brought up in these discussions cause it was not the game anyone wanted in the end nor will anyone will acknowledge that game because it is a stain. What people want is something good, not Sonic 06 and its terrible design flaws and bugs. They want it retconned like most want Other M retconned.
I'd buy a Sonic 06 Remake/Kiwami just for a perfected version of a game I had issues with functionally.
You're already enough of an embarrassment by being a Shadow stan. :p
But hedabes doe.
It's more fun, too.
Agreed.
Gameplay allows full 3D control. More exploratory. More precision control and 3D platforming. Real 3D pinball physics. Boost games throw all of this out in favor of Burnout-style race-tracks that cram 2-D segments in between.

• Gameplay allows full 3D control
  • Just need to expand from what Generations started. You can only go forward in so many ways, and any game where Sonic has to turn around is most likely ass that isn't a Genesis joint.
  • 3D Pinball Physics don't exist outside of the natural slope provided to pull the ball down, and making a game around that would probably be as fun as Sonic Labyrinth or.... Sonic Pinball.
  • As long as the level designs and mechanics aren't as shitty as Colors and Lost World, it's lit.

Why is it so damn hard to just make a game with that's an evolution on Sonic/Shadow Adventure level design/gameplay? I don't wanna be constantly on rails or play as a fuckin werewolf.

And where's my goddamm Chao Garden?

Cafeman

Sega should remake SA1 and SA2, removing the worst parts like Big and Amy, and applying some of the 3D gameplay lessons learned over the years. All new level maps but same basic plot and but even more zones Shake those trees and feed some Chao!

clem84

Gold Member
In order for SA3 to be what fans want it to be, Yuji Naka would need to be back on board. I don't see that happening.

Toxi

Banned
I always thought that was Sonic Adventure 4, and this was Sonic Adventure 3:
6SjMgap.png
Sonic Heroes frustrates me so so much because the central premise is soooo good.

The entire concept of being able to switch between three different characters on the fly is really good. It allows you to create a larger platforming moveset and create more varied challenges, since you can design them around each of the different characters.

But none of this matters because the level design is complete shit and the controls are horrifically bad.

A sequel to Heroes that actually was competent in these areas could be something special. But noooooope, let's instead ditch it entirely. That's Sonic team in a nutshell. The moment they get a good idea, they will bungle it, decide it's not worth pursuing because they bungled it, and move on to another idea.

Like most people here, I don't think Sonic Adventure 3 would be much different than any other 3D Sonics other than having the name and I guess expectations.

That was an unfinished beta in Adventure style. People hated the bugs, load times and general lack of polish. The Adventure concept is not at fault here.

Sonic Team should just make something in the middle between exploration and boost. Give players the choice how to play and they will love you for this.

Insert boost formula as a reward, like in the early days with speed in general, bring back spindash for Modern, alternate routes to explore and find special items like in SA and add replay-value with missions to unlock new stuff and Chao.
A universal chao smartphone app compatible to a range of future Sonic-titles with constant input of new content and major upgrades every two or three years alongside the next big Sonic would print SEGA money. The ingredients are all there.

Steroyd

Surely when people say they want Sonic Adventure 3, they just mean the Sonic/Shadow levels and chao garden right? RIGHT!?

Surely when people say they want Sonic Adventure 3, they just mean the Sonic/Shadow levels and chao garden right? RIGHT!?

I kinda liked treasure hunting so I wouldn't mind if they spruced that up.

Shooting stages can leave though. I found them way more boring.

Give me a 3D Sonic with the boost gameplay from the non-Adventure 3D Sonic games, the platforming/exploration and character variety of the Aventure games, a non-cringe story, and full fledged Chao Garden.

If Sonic Team manages to pull this off, it'll be the most progressive thing they'd do so far with 3D Sonic, rather than half-baked, unpolished gimmicks everytime.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I'm a huge fan of 2D Sonic and I can honestly say that Sonic Adventure series was never good even at the time I thought I was playing some type of mini game/warm up but it turned out to be the actual game...I laughed and turned that shit off. 3D Sonic AT BEST is 7 outta 10 fuck 3D Sonic in general should never have happened. Even the 'good' 3D sonic games are just average.

Reset

Only Sonic games that are worth playing are the adventure games. Just make another game having only Sonic levels adventure style.

emb

With their brilliant ideas to make Sonic 4 digital and episodic, and the general not-so-glowing impressions I've heard about it, I'm fine if they don't bother doing Adventure 3. It's better as an idea than an actuality.

KNT-Zero

It's not like the Adventure games were works of art, but they had a level of charm that the following games couldn't match. So yeah, people want more of that, maybe with Sonic Forces... but Sonic 06 was already an "Adventure 3" but it got too ambitious for the deadlines it had...

HKA6A7

oIVvN7b.jpg

I never had a problem with its controls, for me, the thing that murders the gameplay is the camera.

HKA6A7

To be honest, outside of an ambitious story/presentation, alternate characters/gameplay styles, and the chao garden, is there really anything more to an "Adventure-style" game? Like, aside from those things, I've always failed to see what the Adventure series does that's drastically different enough to deserve a Mania-like revival. Adventure-era fans seem a bit easier to please than classic fans - all they really want is better 3D Sonic games.

Nowadays? Nah, but the levels were as ambitious as the story, some impressed me a lot back in the day.
SA1 was hammy, and had the chops to get away with it. It was Sega and Sonic team saying "Hold my beer, let me show some next gen platforming" and actually acomplish it.

That's something that's been missing since Sonic Heroes, feels like all they think is "let's do something BIG... But cheap", take the control out of the player, show Sonic running trough 30 loops per second and call it a day.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've always thought of Heroes as SA 3.

1. It's the 3D game directly after SA2.
2. It's got the spirit of those games, they just combined the characters into these triangle parties.
3. It's got the shit level design only expanded.

drac96

I absolutely love SA2, but before seeing the title of this article I don't know if I ever thought about a Sonic Adventure 3.

Is this something that people are actually asking for?

I dunno, the Adventure games didn't click so well. If anything it was the start of the downward spiral for the franchise. Plus even though they're old, they aged badly. Generations found the right balance, they should of went with just speed levels and minimal characters to play as instead of throwing gimmicks left and right.

Also yeah Sonic 06 could of easily been Adventure 3, but that would of meant it'd tarnish the nostalgia of the Adventure brand so maybe that's why they didn't name it as such.

Top Bottom