• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - Wii U Trailer

@MUWANdo

Banned
Yes, I hate it when games trading on fanservice provide fanservice.

But it's not really fanservice if the characters have made more appearances in mascot compilations than they have in their own games. If they love Ulala so much then they should make a new SC5 already, instead of sticking her in every game they can just to remind us that, no, nothing's happening.

Also, these All-Stars Racing games are trading equally on Sega's expertise when it comes to fun, arcade-y racing games, which isn't affected either way by the roster.

Rlan

It is a bit disappointing that the roster seems to have lost several characters (Possibly Bonanza Bros, Alex Kidd, Ryo, Jacky) in favour of expanding the female character lineup.

I mean if you look at both characters, their vehicles are actually quite different:

SASRT-Screenshots-October-10-1024x576.jpg

SPOILARS: http://www.tssznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/pudding.jpg

So the "Oh, we palette swapped out Ulala, instant racer!" doesn't apply as much. I would have much preferred Blaze from Streets or Rage, Tyris Flare from Golden Axe, Phantasy Star characters, or someone from the Puyo Pop series.

Especially because they went so far with the levels compared to the first -- Panzer Dragoon, Burning Rangers, NiGHTS, Skies, Golden Axe, Ourtun, After Burner, and Shinobi just to name a few.

The first game had repeat course theme types, and they seemed to try to make up for it by adding a ton of unique characters. Here it feels the opposite.

I hope, HOPE that SEGA actually do DLC this time. This thing is coming out for so many platforms, that a single piece of DLC would work out well when all said and done. I mean we currently have this weird, singular level in the Outrun Bay -- at least fill that out to an entire cup!

Tizoc

Apparently no one's claimed making the OT for this game.
Personally I wouldn't mind writing one, but I don't know if I'll have time. I could write up a quick summary for the OT though.
Unless someone wants to volunteer for it?

At any rate, what would the subtitle be?
EDIT: and please don't let the subtitle be about how some characters are missing or that there are clones/pallete swaps.
My recommendations : Diddy Kong Racing in Disguise, or More than meets the eye.

Rich!

My attempts at an OT title:

Sonic and All Stars* Racing Transformed |OT| *Not all of them included

Or

Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed...[OT]...By new 30fps Features!

Rlan

Aww i was thinking Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed |OT| What, no Greendog the beached surfer dude?!?

Yo hold up, this screen shows
http://www.tssznews.com/2012/11/12/...-all-stars-racing-transformed-leaked/pudding/

25 slots, 24 characters and 1 random select. Wikipedia lists 23 characters, excluding the Mii and Avatar-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_&_All-Stars_Racing_Transformed#Characters
Dot he Mii and avatar not have a spot on the select screen?

S0L has said a couple of times that we "Shouldn't read in too much" into how many slots there are on the character select screen at first. Considering he helped produce the game, I think he may have a point.

Rlan

I wonder if they're unlocked or "earned" like the original game. Sega Bucks etc. Kind of ruined the surprise when all the characters were in the shop.

Well the roster is pretty underwhelming as expected but it's far more important to have track variety for me since I skipped on the first game due to the lack of it and they sound like a pretty good lineup of tracks.
Still, no Bonanza Bros or Valkyria Chronicles, booooo.

Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed |OT| He's in a vehicle because he can't swim or fly
Problem solved!

Piers

I hope, HOPE that SEGA actually do DLC this time. This thing is coming out for so many platforms, that a single piece of DLC would work out well when all said and done. I mean we currently have this weird, singular level in the Outrun Bay -- at least fill that out to an entire cup!

Still surprised by the lack of Phantasy Star. I guess it's issues with rights, royalties or...something? Given PSO's success, and how it was a big step for online console games, it's a little :( that there's no race circuit for Forest 1 set to WHOLE NEW WORLD.

Social

This game... I am kind of interested but I know that the car handling will be piss poor. Any hands on of this somewhere?

Tizoc

I am currently writing the OT, if anyone could make the banner for the game I'd appreciate it. I guess that's the only image I'd need atm.

deleted

I'm getting excited for this game.

Is there a mode akin to Battle Mode? Preferably similar to MK64?

This game... I am kind of interested but I know that the car handling will be piss poor. Any hands on of this somewhere?

Isn't it developed by part of the former Blur team? If it is, the handling should be at least better than most.

flattie

I'm getting excited for this game.

Is there a mode akin to Battle Mode? Preferably similar to MK64?

Isn't it developed by part of the former Blur team? If it is, the handling should be at least better than most.

I think they mopped up some of the Bizaare Creations staff when they shutdown didn't they? I remember reading an interview soon after the game was announced where they discussed some of the team members and their heritage - I remember coming away thinking that there are some really strong racing credentials in there.

Anybody who believes that this will just be a Mario Kart clone with Sonic avatars, [I suspect] are seriously wide of the mark.

w00tkins

Not at all. It all feels very natural to control and the vehicles have a nice weight to them. Each surface feels different.

edit: what's taking these spoilers so long :V

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

The handling was great in the first game.

IrishNinja

it looks great, and im really happy Vyse, Musashi, Ulala, Joe & others made the cut, but im still kinda bummed Alex Kidd, Opa-Opa and others got ditched this time.

i wonder when dude from Space Harrier will join, too.

RobbieNick

Did you play the first game? The car handling was spot-on.

Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Brought to you by Go Daddy, Hot Wheels and Disney's Wreck-It Ralph

Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Not Buying It Ensures They'll Make a Third One

I like both the character and track selections. Will miss Banjo And Kazooie, and I think Danica is a lame choice, but the addition of Wreck It Ralph is cool.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is Yuzo Koshiro in this piece? That might be enough for me to get it.

As a composer or a racer. He could drive around while beating on sick iron drums

Jucksalbe

Banned
Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Sonic Kong Racing

I will wait for the WiiU version (EU here). I hope that's really the best console version, at least it looks like it so far.

but the addition of Wreck It Ralph is cool.

Ralph is cool, but especially after seeing the movie, Vanellope would almost make more sense, considering her entire thing is kart racing. (And the candy theme would've carried over well to boats and planes.) She'd even have a unique All-Star move in the form of
her glitching power

Although SUMO may not have been privy to the full details of the movie when designing the characters. And I'm sure at least Ralph had to be there for branding reasons.

Het_Nkik

Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

Or was something like this used for the previous game's OT? I can't find it at all using Google.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed |OT| WRECK THE KARTS

Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed |OT| I'M GONNA TO WRECK YOUR KART

A.E Suggs

So the "Oh, we palette swapped out Ulala, instant racer!" doesn't apply as much. I would have much preferred Blaze from Streets or Rage, Tyris Flare from Golden Axe, Phantasy Star characters, or someone from the Puyo Pop series.

Yeah this makes me mad that they didn't get any of those characters. With the way things are i'm surprised that joe and vyse showed up at all.

Mesoian

Yeah this makes me mad that they didn't get any of those characters. With the way things are i'm surprised that joe and vyse showed up at all.

The PR for this game just didn't have legs. They started with Joe and Vyse knowing that they're big names that people will get excited for, but when it was time to close on the game and release day was swiftly approaching, the characters they had to close on were Danika Patrick and Wreckit Ralph, only one of which is actually contextualized for being in the game. The secret courses were kept secret and the only thing that people really had to hope for was that the roster wouldn't just be the Sega All Stars Tennis line up (which it is) and that one super big secret that hasn't been revealed yet (and the day one DLC). Pudding being the latest reveal doesn't help much.

It's a tough situation, but considering the price point is what it is, I really hope Sega pushes the idea of DLC a little harder than usual, but considering we still don't quite know how the e-shop is going to work, it may be a little while. For this game, you gotta strike while the irons are hot. I would pay for an Aika kart or the Chuchu's or a Vectorman stage while I'm still interested.

My worry is that I won't be interested for that long.

Coxy

Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Angels With Burning Karts

so psyched for Burning Rangers track :p

A.E Suggs

The PR for this game just didn't have legs. They started with Joe and Vyse knowing that they're big names that people will get excited for, but when it was time to close on the game and release day was swiftly approaching, the characters they had to close on were Danika Patrick and Wreckit Ralph, only one of which is actually contextualized for being in the game. The secret courses were kept secret and the only thing that people really had to hope for was that the roster wouldn't just be the Sega All Stars Tennis line up (which it is) and that one super big secret that hasn't been revealed yet (and the day one DLC). Pudding being the latest reveal doesn't help much.
Its also funny that in the beginning I was happy for thunderhead, but after finding out he was in the superstar tennis roster I face palmed. Especially after learning half the roster was from that tennis game made me even more angry. I'll buy it though I just expected more.

I really hope Sega pushes the idea of DLC a little harder than usual, but considering we still don't quite know how the e-shop is going to work, it may be a little while.
Yes this is what i'm hoping for but sol never reply'd back to me on if this game will have real DLC.

I have a feeling the DLC will be a bit bigger this time, seeing as though the game was already successful, they can sell old characters/tracks from the first game, and its their big holiday title. As long as the game sells well and money is there to be had, it'll happen.

Mesoian

Its also funny that in the beginning I was happy for thunderhead, but after finding out he was in the superstar tennis roster I face palmed. Especially after learning half the roster was from that tennis game made me even more angry. I'll buy it though I just expected more.

Yes this is what i'm hoping for but sol never reply'd back to me on if this game will have real DLC.

Because as much as i'm saying I want DLC for this game, it would be EXTREMELY TACKY to suddenly say, "OKAY GUYS! SEASON PASS! WE'LL HAVE STUFF BUT STAY TUNED!". That turns everyone off. Once the game is out, I'd just like, a character or a stage a week for 10 weeks. Some inverse Japan time mess.

Top Bottom