• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - Wii U Trailer

To be honest this wasn't on my radar at all. But the roster and recent trailer and price have sold it to me. I cannot wait to try this bad boy out.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Pudding. Really?

I was hoping that we would get more variable in characters selection.
Where is Alex Kidd, Ryo, E & J and Zobio and Zobiko.

Pudding. Really?

I don't understand why the old characters aren't back. At the same time, i have a feeling this will get DLC support, and they'll come through that. I'd be happy with that. Also, i wanna see who that last character is before i throw them under a bus on the roster.

RedBoot

Pudding. Really?

I completely expected Pudding after we got Gum, Reala, and MeeMee. They were all in Sega Superstars Tennis. I imagine their vehicles are similar to Ulala, Beat, Nights, and AiAi since that would save on art time and allow them to inflate the roster a bit. It doesn't bother me, really, it's better than them not being there.

Sadly, it's looking like Alex Kidd will be the only Sega Tennis character to not make it. Weird, since Miracle World gives him land, sea, and air vehicles.

There's a bunch of characters I'd love to see as dlc, but I am really happy with the tracks on disc. Dying to see what that last level is like...

Tizoc

Those skipping this game because of the roster are making a bad judgement, I feel.
Most characters in the first games shared similar stats to other characters, like the bikers, so they were sorta like pallete swaps.
I think where this game'll shine is in the stages/course design.

Also the loadings of the PS3 ver. are such a pain ugh.

So apparently a couple leaks got through again. According to Sega forums, this was confirmed by Steve Lycett of Sumo.

Pudding is confirmed as a character on the roster. And here are the tracks:

GP1
1. Ocean View (Sonic Heroes)
2. Samba Studios (Samba De Amigo)
3. Carrier Zone (After Burner)
4. Dragon Canyon (Panzer Dragoon)

GP2
1, Temple Trouble (Super Monkey Ball)
2. Galactic Parade (Sonic Colors?)
3. Seasonal Shrines (Shinobi)
4. Rouge’s Landing (Skies of Arcadia)

GP3
1. Dream Valley (Nights)
2. Chilly Castle (Billy Hatcher)
3. Graffiti City (Jet Set Radio)
4. Sanctuary Falls (Sonic & Knuckles)

GP4
1. Graveyard Gig (House of the Dead)
2. Adder’s Lair (Golden Axe)
3. Burning Depths (Burning Rangers)
4. Race of Ages (Sega Tribute Level)

GP5 (Note These Are All From The Last Game)
1. Sunshine Tour (Samba De Amigo)
2. Shibuya Downtown (Jet Set Radio)
3. Roulette Road (Sonic Heroes)
4. Egg Hangar (Sonic 2/Sonic 3)

Source: TSSZ

I count, so far, 5 stages from the Sonic series, 2 of which return from the first game. Funnily enough, R. Road is one of the hardest and my least fav. level from the 1st game...yet my nephew loves playing on it for whatever reason lol.

Still there are more non-Sonic series stages which is cool.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
character selection shot.

WP_000758.jpg

I really feel that if they brought everyone over from the 1st game, the roster would be amazing. If we still get a couple back as DLC, i'll take the trade-off, as the tracks seem way more exciting in this game.

RedBoot

Those skipping this game because of the roster are making a bad judgement, I feel.
Most characters in the first games shared similar stats to other characters, like the bikers, so they were sorta like pallete swaps.
I think where this game'll shine is in the stages/course design.

I think it's a pretty good roster (I love both of the guest characters, Ralph because it's a cool idea to have him here, and Danica because holy crap why is Danica Patrick in this game?), but to be perfectly honest the previous game had more variety. I mean, there will be a crapton of Sonic characters in the game, we know that. There will be people from the usual franchises Sega pulls out for these games (Samba de Amigo, Monkey Ball, Jet Set Radio, Space Channel 5). But most of your hardcore fans want Genesis-era people and obscure characters. In the prior game, that got you Billy Hatcher, Zobio&Zobiko, Ryo, Jacky and Akira, the Bonanza Bros, the Chuchus, Opa Opa, and Alex Kidd. In this game, you get Vyse, Joe Musashi, and Gillius Thunderhead. So I can see that contingent being disappointed.

I agree about the tracks being absolutely improved from the last game, though. So much more variety, and a wide amount of games are represented.

Tizoc

Various characters had similar stats with other characters in the first game, I can't remember for everyone atm, but off the top of my head, at lest 3 or 4 characters were of the same stats.

A.E Suggs

Leak is seemingly ruling out Ryo and the VF characters as well. I think I'm officially skipping with this roster. I loved the original and I could really go for a nice racer for launch but I'm just not a fan of how they're handling this.

You could still buy it for I don't know the actual racing. Yes the roster is disappointing and it is important i'm not saying that, but the roster isn't terrible either.

kunonabi

You could still buy it for I don't know the actual racing. Yes the roster is disappointing and it is important i'm not saying that, but the roster isn't terrible either.

I'm not a fan of developers going backwards. All they had to do was add characters that were missing from the first one and instead we're still getting a fairly incomplete roster with a bunch of wasted character slots. I have other launch games to buy and the package they're offering just isn't cutting it. If they end up adding the characters back as DLC I'll bite.

Tizoc

I'm not a fan of developers going backwards. All they had to do was add characters that were missing from the first one and instead we're still getting a fairly incomplete roster with a bunch of wasted character slots. I have other launch games to buy and the package they're offering just isn't cutting it. If they end up adding the characters back as DLC I'll bite.

Only other launch game I can think of at this period are CoD BlOps 2 and E. Mickey 2 >_>;

hiro4

While I'll miss Ryo as a Shenmue fan I'm glad they included a Burning Rangers level. What are the chances of that level having some original BR music?

Mesoian

Do not listen to this person.

I'm loving the variety of that leaked list.

The variety from the first game was far superior.

Vyse and Ryo are great additions, but I was hoping we would get variety than the first game, not less. Wreckit Ralph, Danika and the Mii's/Avatars aside, there really should have been more of a nostalgia push. If not for these games, then when?

While I'll miss Ryo as a Shenmue fan I'm glad they included a Burning Rangers level. What are the chances of that level having some original BR music?

All the music is said to be arranged, but chances of the ability to unlock a few original tracks in the store is high.

Ah...I'm a little bummed out by all this. I'm still picking the game up, but the roster isn't nearly as bombastic as I wanted.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Billy may or may not. We still don't know all of the characters, and actually most of the tracks do have representatives.

After Burner, Panzer Dragoon, Billy Hatcher, House of the Dead, and Burning Rangers are the tracks that don't have reps yet.We'll have to see who does or doesn't show up in the end.

Also, for anyone who doesn't mind spoilers, there's some shots of the final course
the SEGA tribute one.
:

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/11/12/asrt-screens-from-broken-street-date-released/

The music that plays during this stage is a remix of
Space Harrier music.

@MUWANdo

Banned
The variety from the first game was far superior.

Vyse and Ryo are great additions, but I was hoping we would get variety than the first game, not less. Wreckit Ralph, Danika and the Mii's/Avatars aside, there really should have been more of a nostalgia push. If not for these games, then when?

They're bound to show up as DLC. I'm sure they know people will pay $5 for Ryo or whichever other fanservice characters they offer up, but they sure as hell aren't gonna pay for Monkey Ball Monkey #2 or The Other One From Space Channel 5 or whatever.

Roto13

They're bound to show up as DLC. I'm sure they know people will pay $5 for Ryo or whichever other fanservice characters they offer up, but they sure as hell aren't gonna pay for Monkey Ball Monkey #2 or The Other One From Space Channel 5 or whatever.

There's a character in Space Channel 5 who isn't Ulala or Michael Jackson?

Mesoian

There's a character in Space Channel 5 who isn't Ulala or Michael Jackson?

YEAH MAN! Don't you remember Pudding? The first boss that you beat in about 4 minutes after the game starts, then you never see here again until the very end of the game where she's so tiny you have to squint to make her out in the crowd?

PUDDING!

Man, the DLC better be good.

Billy may or may not. We still don't know all of the characters, and actually most of the tracks do have representatives.

After Burner, Panzer Dragoon, Billy Hatcher, House of the Dead, and Burning Rangers are the tracks that don't have reps yet.We'll have to see who does or doesn't show up in the end.

Also, for anyone who doesn't mind spoilers, there's some shots of the final course
the SEGA tribute one.
:

http://www.tssznews.com/2012/11/12/asrt-screens-from-broken-street-date-released/

Space Harrier music.

Bonanza Bros. LIVE ON!

RedBoot

I believe all the tracks feature remixes of classic songs. So you'll probably see a remix of some BR music (presumably/hopefully the main theme).

the SEGA tribute one.
:

Space Harrier music.

So... http://www.tssznews.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/763.jpg...

There's Ryo (and a KapuKapu), and there's a cabinet arcade machine like I said he could race... and they're holograms. ;_; Almost there.

YEAH MAN! Don't you remember Pudding? The first boss that you beat in about 4 minutes after the game starts, then you never see here again until the very end of the game where she's so tiny you have to squint to make her out in the crowd?

PUDDING!

She's with you through most of part 2, though. :p

And she certainly appeared more in 1 than Space Michael. Hah.

Anyway, about the character complaints: You have to remember that they have to design three vehicles for everyone, and that some characters just wouldn't fit with the whole transforming vehicle thing. Can you imagine someone like Ryo Hazuki driving a car that transforms into a plane and a boat? I'd think not.

@MUWANdo

Banned
She's with you through most of part 2, though. :p

And she certainly appeared more in 1 than Space Michael. Hah.

Anyway, about the character complaints: You have to remember that they have to design three vehicles for everyone, and that some characters just wouldn't fit with the whole transforming vehicle thing. Can you imagine someone like Ryo Hazuki driving a car that transforms into a plane and a boat? I'd think not.

Sure, but for 80% of the characters they're just winging it anyway. I mean, I don't remember Beat or Monkey Ball Monkey ever driving a car, let alone a boat or a plane, and even the Sonic characters' vehicles aren't really based on anything in particular.

guek

Banned
Now that NG3:RE seems to be a turd after all, my attentions have turned to the next promising game in line...SASRT!

So anyone know when the first reviews for this one are going to turn up? 18th too?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Now that NG3:RE seems to be a turd after all, my attentions have turned to the next promising game in line...SASRT!

So anyone know when the first reviews for this one are going to turn up? 18th too?

No idea yet, but the game has released early in a few places so some impressions coming internet-side. Given, that's for the 360/PS3 version and not the Wii-U.

guek

Banned
Well didn't a dev say the wii u build had the most consistent framerate? I'm going to assume if it reviews well for PS360, it'll be comparable if not better on wii u

Sure, but for 80% of the characters they're just winging it anyway. I mean, I don't remember Beat or Monkey Ball Monkey ever driving a car, let alone a boat or a plane, and even the Sonic characters' vehicles aren't really based on anything in particular.

Well, they're more cartoony, so it's more believable.

Monkey Ball was crazy, man. The monkeys could hang glide by opening the balls they're in..also, they're freaking monkeys rolling around in balls on floating platforms. Seeing them like this isn't too crazy. Hah.

There's a lot of characters I'd love to see in the game, but I have no idea how they'd fit in.

Like for instance, I'd love to see Opa-Opa, but what in the world would he do for boat sections? Sure, he can run/hover during car sections, and fly during the plane sections...but would he just...err...boat around? I don't know, man. :(

But they did add characters like Joe Musashi, so who knows. Though he's a ninja, so they can make him do whatever, because ninja's are exaggerated in video games, anyway. Dude rode a horse and a motor-powered surfboard in Shinobi III, too.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Monkey Ball was crazy, man. The monkeys could hang glide by opening the balls they're in..also, they're freaking monkeys rolling around in balls on floating platforms. Seeing them like this isn't too crazy. Hah.

There's a lot of characters I'd love to see in the game, but I have no idea how they'd fit in.

Like for instance, I'd love to see Opa-Opa, but what in the world would he do for boat sections? Sure, he can run/hover during car sections, and fly during the plane sections...but would he just...err...boat around? I don't know, man. :(

But they did add characters like Joe Musashi, so who knows. Though he's a ninja, so they can make him do whatever, because ninja's are exaggerated in video games, anyway. Dude rode a horse and a motor-powered surfboard in Shinobi III, too.

Opa-Opa's an easy one--you make Opa the vehicle and have the Space Harrier dude be the driver! (Also, he has to go EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAGH every time you spin out.)

I was kinda hanging out for Alisa from Phantasy Star, myself--she's cool, she'd level out the gender balance a bit and the PS games featured a variety of different vehicles already, so you wouldn't have to just make something up and hope for the best.

Tizoc

Ninjas on surfboards are always cool, plus he could do dive kicks!

Honestly the 'clone' characters didn't need to take a spot on the select screen, they could've, instead been selectable after choosing say AiAi or Ulala and you could swap to that character's vehilce.

EDIT: Also seems the first game sold 1 mil. copies o_O
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/14/mario-sonic-and-profits-in-segas-fiscal-2010/

Yka

Wii U Countdown: 5 days, and haven’t I played this on my iPad?

Kirk Hiner said:
But the main reason I have no interest in Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed is because I’m pretty sure I already played it on my iPad. It’s called Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing there. I’ve learned they dropped SEGA from the Wii U title because that Wreck-It Ralph fellow is in it, and he’s not a SEGA character. You know this because you don’t want to swat him away the moment he opens his mouth.

Regardless, the basic functionality of Sonic & All-Star Racing Transformed is right there on the iPad (and it’s coming soon to OS X). Granted, the Wii U version will be prettier and will have a bunch of additional features, but even some of those are already available elsewhere. Consider motion control, for example, which is obviously a carryover from the iPad. “But Kirk, with the Wii U you can control it with the GamePad and watch it on the big screen.” Yes, we call that AirPlay in the Apple world, and it’s a pretty cool way to play racing games.

I did leave a comment but I doubt they will publish it...

Yeah, the main reason I have no interest in New Super Mario Bros. U is because I’m pretty sure I already played it on my Nintendo Entertainment System in the late 1980s. It’s called Super Mario Bros. there. I’ve learned they added New and U to the Wii U title because the Wii U is a new video game console.

I also used to have a lot of sex but then I stopped doing that. You know, what's the point? Been there, done that.

P.S. Can someone explain to me what the word ”sequel” means?

B-Dex

PUDDING!

Umm did you play Part 2?

@MUWANdo

Banned
Ultimately the roster doesn't really annoy me that much--I understand why there are so many doubles, and making the tracks themselves a priority was absolutely the right way to go--but it bugs me that the mainstays of these Superstars games are characters from games that aren't getting sequels and until relatively recently weren't even getting ports. I mean, if you're gonna keep shoving Ulala and Beat and whoever else in my face then at least have it be a teaser for something!

(Of course, if you push that whole cross-promotion thing too far you end up with Playstation All-Stars Brawl Melee Royale or whatever, which is shamefully cynical.)

Ultimately the roster doesn't really annoy me that much--I understand why there are so many doubles, and making the tracks themselves a priority was absolutely the right way to go--but it bugs me that the mainstays of these Superstars games are characters from games that aren't getting sequels and until relatively recently weren't even getting ports. I mean, if you're gonna keep shoving Ulala and Beat and whoever else in my face then at least have it be a teaser for something!

Yes, I hate it when games trading on fanservice provide fanservice.

Top Bottom