• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and Mega Man "Worlds Collide" Comic Crossover |OT| Blue Blur meets Blue Bomber

Tizoc

worldscollide_banner_3zqx0.png

Presented by Sciz, Tizoc, Dark Schala & Bean

Introduction:

“Worlds Collide” is a 12-part comic book crossover event between Archie’s Sonic the Hedgehog and Mega Man comic series.

Okay, for those of you still with us, this is really exciting, and we say that without a trace of sarcasm. Fans have drawn parallels between the two series for years:

• Both feature evil roboticists trying to take over the world
  • Both have similarly clichéd supporting casts (the loyal canine companion, the dark double, the sometimes friendly rival, the requisite supportive girl)
  • Both have a legacy of great music and wildly variable quality
  • The heroes both share some color of the spectrum or something
  • In recent years, they also both have series coming out of Archie Comics, the independent publisher that just won't die.

But that'd all be so much cruft if the comics were rubbish. No, what makes this exciting is that it represents a crossover between not just the two franchises, but between three of the best comic books running today (Sonic has two). They're nonstop character-driven fun, full of color and lighthearted comedy even as they weave in action and drama. And like all great kid-friendly media, they're littered with gags for the older fans while never talking down to the actual target audience. Being sourced from beloved video game franchises just makes them that much better.

Here's the rundown on what you're getting into:​

The Blue Blur

worldscollide_sonic_bkuym0.png

Nope. I distinctly remember the Sonic comic being as bad as the games. Worse.

And there was a time when you were right, when the series' standards let plots through like "Sonic goes to high school, no really", "Knuckles' extended family goes through vaguely sociopolitical relationship drama", and "let's spend a year showing off the future where everyone has kids and nothing of interest happens because the writer forgot that plots require conflict". Then that writer got canned, ironically right around the time Sega was busy releasing Sonic '06; and Our Lord and Savior Ian Flynn was brought in and promptly spent the next two years cleaning up the last guy's mess. Ian's an ascended fan (as is most of the art staff these days), and while he's not without his own foibles, he understands what makes the series tick and what makes for good storytelling in general. It also helps that he revels in dredging up stuff like the Battle Bird Armada and the scrapped band from Sonic 1's sound test as opposed to inventing loads of new faces.

These days the comic is the fun and engaging series described earlier, where the setting occasionally hits up places from the games and even Shadow and Silver are genuinely good characters. No, seriously. That's why the Sonic Universe spinoff book even exists. All the other characters that everyone hate in the games got their own book where Sonic barely even shows up because they're written well enough to carry it on their own.

But isn't it still based on the old cartoon with Freedom Fighters and stuff?

Sort of. At this point it's an amalgam of characters, ideas, and locations from the cartoon, the stuff worth salvaging from prior years of the comic, and just about anyone and anything you can think of from the games. It's weird, but it works.

For the purpose of Worlds Collide, it doesn't matter, because the crossover features game characters only. You don't have to care what a “Mobotropolis” is or why the creepy chimera wizard-king is evil (It makes sense in context).​

The Blue Bomber

worldscollide_megamanixab2.png

There's a Mega Man comic?

There is! It's only got two years behind it compared to Sonic's twenty, but it's the only place where the franchise is still alive with its dignity intact. Ian Flynn pulls writing duties here as well, and consequently the series has a lot in common with his work on Sonic with respect to tone and humor. Unlike Sonic, though, Mega Man is religiously devoted to the games as source material. That isn't to say that it's a slave to the numbered titles; Ian happily pulls in characters from Battle & Chase and Rockman Gold Empire while adapting elements of Super Adventure Rockman in the background. But the original characters and concepts introduced thus far supplement the games rather than supplanting them.

After a breakneck first year that tore through Mega Man 1, Powered Up, and Mega Man 2 in succession, the series has since slowed down and started really digging into the characters and narrative that begin to crop up around Mega Man 3. It's spent the second year casually juggling heartrending tales (Proto Man's tragic origins) with goofy side stories (the budding rivalry between Guts Man and Concrete Man) and high action (a terrorist attack at a robotics convention); all while slowly building a serious conversation about the role of advanced robotics and artificial intelligence in society. It’s really truly excellent stuff.

It's strictly a Classic series affair so far, but the creative staff have repeatedly said they'd love to take on some of the other subseries if there's enough fan support.​

...and just to give a taste of what the comic features:

Video previews of each issue of Mega Man released so far (courtesy of Bean) are here. Check them out since they’re edited very well and offer an excellent insight into what the comics are like. Just click the picture! (or click here!)

More specifically, it has (click the pictures for a legible version):

• Nods to the fanbase
  • Bros
  • Woodman being a boss
  • Headshots
  • Hyadain
  • Scientific Mysteries
  • Green Biker Dude’s backstory

Now Finally, Worlds Collide

And so we return to the main event: a four-month crossover extravaganza from April to August that spans across Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Universe, and Mega Man. Sonic's about to meet a whole bunch of robots he can't just bop, Drs. Wily and Eggman are about to discover the joy of having a B.F.F., and somehow our azure heroes are going to have to get along long enough to deal with the machinations of the newly-minted Evil Friends Forever before both worlds fall to their robot army.

SonicGAF's been looking forward to it for months, as has MegaGAF (disclaimer: MegaGAF is mostly comprised of SonicGAF), and we hope you'll be along for the ride.

With Regards to Spoilers: Please use spoiler tags for the issue that is released in its own release week, you may stop using spoiler tags after two weeks have passed and the next part of the story has been released.

The schedule is as follows (all dates represent comic shop availability):​

Prologue:

Part 0 - Sonic/Mega Man Free Comic Book Day 2013 (May 4th; contains pages from Sonic #247 & Mega Man #23, though neither issue has much to do with the crossover.)​

Act One: Kindred Spirits:

• Part 1 - Mega Man #24 - April 10th
  • Part 2 - Sonic Universe #51 - April 17th
  • Part 3 - Sonic the Hedgehog #248 - May 1st
  • Part 4 - Mega Man #25 - May 8th

Arc Two: Into the Warzone

• Part 5 - Sonic Universe #52 - May 15th
  • Part 6 - Sonic the Hedgehog #249 - May 29th
  • Part 7 - Mega Man #26 - June 12th
  • Part 8 - Sonic Universe #53 - June 19th

Arc Three: Chaos Clash

• Part 9 - Sonic the Hedgehog #250 - July 3rd
  • Part 10 - Mega Man #27 - July 10th
  • Part 11 - Sonic Universe #54 - July XXth
  • Part 12 - Sonic the Hedgehog #251 - August XXth

The crossover arc issues can be purchased digitally from websites such as Comixology, or if you prefer mobile, Archie's own iOS/Android comics app. If you're old enough to remember what print is, hit up your local comic shop or check out any surviving newsstands and major bookstores. If you're after variant covers, comic shops are the way to go.

If you want to catch up on the series in general (ie: not as part of this comic crossover) and be up to date with it, you've also got options:

• Sonic the Hedgehog: Back issue availability is a bit scattershot, to say the least. Ian's run begins with #160, but the trade paperback reprints are only up to #82. A more recent reprint line, "Sonic Saga", picks up at #162, but the two available volumes only run through #172. Most everything from #211 on is available digitally, however.
  • Sonic Universe: TPB volumes only cover up to #16 at the moment, but the whole series is available digitally.
  • Mega Man: Issue #1-16 are available across four TPB volumes, with volume 5 due out in May. Again, the whole series is available digitally.

Covers:

Variant Covers:

TreIII

The notion that neither Sega or Capcom have said that there are "no plans" to make a game to capitalize on this is really sad.

Even a by-the-numbers fighting game crossover would have been something...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Our baby's up. Happy to work on this with ya guys. :D

I'm so happy and excited for this! Bean told me that MM #24 was pretty freaking awesome, so I'm so psyched to get it next week!

breakfuss

The notion that neither Sega or Capcom have said that there are "no plans" to make a game to capitalize on this is really sad.

Ummm...because, mechanically, that wouldn't make sense?

Tizoc

Just to add, I had asked Kagari about making the thread and was suggested to be put in the Gaming Discussion Forum.

Takao

Banned
I understand that they're going for the Powered Up art style in this cover, but it doesn't look like the artist did a great job:

There's something off with the way Mega Man's face sits in the helmet, and Roll just looks awful. Proto, Wily, Light, and the other Robot Masters look alright I guess.

breakfuss

What games do make sense? lol

They need to make this shit

^

...Exactly. We have games where Street Fighters are able to go toe to toe with Omega-class mutants, among so many others. "Sense" and suspension of disbelief kind of have to go out the window in that case.

The operative word here is "mechanically". A crossover between an on-the-rails "run and jump'" and a platformer that requires intense precision?

Boogiepop

Huh, neat.

Actually, this gets me thinking, do decent collections for the old Sonic comics exist? I picked up some old Judge Dredd and TMNT recently and that got me kind of interested in this sort of thing, you know, comics outside of the big continuities out there.

I thought this was already over with, actually - I remember seeing one of these covers ages ago. I might actually be able to catch up on Archie's Mega Man series before the crossover starts.

I understand that they're going for the Powered Up art style in this cover, but it doesn't look like the artist did a great job:

There's something off with the way Mega Man's face sits in the helmet, and Roll just looks awful. Proto, Wily, Light, and the other Robot Masters look alright I guess.

Yeah, I think Powered Up's Mega Man design had a tighter fit for the helmet.

Great job on the thread!

If anyone looking in this thread hasn't read the Mega Man comics yet, I implore you to do so. It's a really well done, fun ride.

qq more

The operative word here is "mechanically". A crossover between an on-the-rails "run and jump'" and a platformer that requires intense precision?

I guess they could pull a Sonic Generations. Sonic will play through the set of stages in his gameplay perspective, same with Mega Man. Would be interesting to see a Mega Man level designed as a Sonic level and vice versa.

Megaman and Sonic together? I'll check it out.

I wish Astroboy was more popular. Megaman is ripped directly from Astroboy almost verbatim so they would be a much better fit.

This is a great idea too though.

BosSin

That would mean creating a megaman-related game and we all know Capcom doesn't want that.

Conan-san

On the topic of the Sonic Comic's continuity it's in the throes of a huge legal todo with previous comic helmer (and all around douche nozzle) Ken Penders and it's already taken out a good chunk of the cast (especially in the Knuckles direction, upon which Penders has a lot of BS going on over) so post crossover it might get a lot less convoluted.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Huh, neat.

Actually, this gets me thinking, do decent collections for the old Sonic comics exist? I picked up some old Judge Dredd and TMNT recently and that got me kind of interested in this sort of thing, you know, comics outside of the big continuities out there.
Yes, there are!

For Sonic Universe, there are TPBs coming out for them steadily.

For Mega Man, they've been very consistent with their TPB releases. I think they're up to Volume 5 now. Check it.

As for the regular StH comic, you can go with the Archives and Sonic Selects, though you may not get all of the issues together. The Sonic Super Special Magazine also is a collection of various Sonic issues. Sciz and Tizoc can probably handle the StH questions better than I can.

Will this ever be compiled into a single book, or will I have to hunt down issues?
For Worlds Collide, much like the Sonic Genesis arc, they'll be bound into their own TPB in November.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I thought this was already over with, actually - I remember seeing one of these covers ages ago. I might actually be able to catch up on Archie's Mega Man series before the crossover starts.
Please do! I am very, very impressed with what they did with it. I reread the whole thing very recently, and coming out of it, I think Arc 4 (Spiritus Ex Machina) and the Protoman arc were my favourites. Arc 1 (Let the Games Begin!) was also very well done and made me feel better about the series and writing in general.

Prior to the crossover, they were working on weaving the narrative into Mega Man 3 and Super Adventure Rockman. Tons of little nods to the series proper. I love it so much.

Conan-san

Please do! I am very, very impressed with what they did with it. I reread the whole thing very recently, and coming out of it, I think Arc 4 (Spiritus Ex Machina) and the Protoman arc were my favourites.

Prior to the crossover, they were working on weaving the narrative into Mega Man 3 and Super Adventure Rockman. Tons of little nods to the series proper. I love it so much.
Also a good few nods in Mr Ariga's direction too, which I like.

Looking forward to this. Still not sure if I'll just read and not buy (by that I mean in the store before anyone says anything) the Sonic issues until there is a TPB because of money or if I'll just go "fuck it" and buy them all. At the very least I'm DEFINITELY buying the one with the MvC1 cover.

Wait wat, remind when this was.

You're forgetting the best part;

Hand gags made at the expense of Crash Man.
LX8sSlh.jpg

Let's not forget this too
tumblr_m0ogj8cVuh1qjg20ao1_500.jpg

Conan-san

Needless to say, as a comic series, Sonic's been in good hands and certainly better than where they have been in decades previous.

Heck, it turned Sonic X into not a complete embarrassment (Who doesn't love El Gran Gordo?) that's gotta mean something.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd read this. Is this on Comixology?
Yes; it was in the OP.

Needless to say, as a comic series, Sonic's been in good hands and certainly better than where they have been in decades previous.

Heck, it turned Sonic X into not a complete embarrassment (Who doesn't love El Gran Gordo?) that's gotta mean something.
Yeah, Flynn's really darn awesome. Turned StH and SU into way better books than they were when I dropped them for a while (well, that was more like I dropped StH).

Mega Man was like the "clean slate" book, and for the most part, the writing's been pretty clever and consistent. Aha, speaking of Ariga, I still have to get through Gigamix. I bought them a while ago too. Liked Megamix a lot.

Conan-san

I'd read this. Is this on Comixology?

Yes. Very Yes.

Also, and I'm not sure about times and junk, but there's a massive sale with .99cents an issue for MM and Sonic comics on untill the end of today.

Yeah, Flynn's really darn awesome. Turned StH and SU into way better books than they were when I dropped them for a while.

Mega Man was like the "clean slate" book, and for the most part, the writing's been pretty clever and consistent. Aha, speaking of Ariga, I still have to get through Gigamix. I bought them a while ago too. Liked Megamix a lot.

You should, the last story in Gigamix is pretty amazing.

Sciz

Oh good, we're live. I spent entirely too much time on the words and banners, check 'em out. And the comics, check them out too.

was that header image captured off VHS?

The internet equivalent, yes. Archie's bad about making decent quality versions of their promotional art available. I only got the titles by clipping them from high-res covers.

Archie Comics needs to acquire the comic rights of Kirby and Donkey Kong too.

They actually tried for Kirby and a few other Nintendo properties a few years ago, but got shot down.

Huh, neat.

There's a bit on that just above the cover compendium.

Issue covers and previews are released several months ahead of publication, and it doesn't help that this whole affair was announced nearly a year ago.

You're forgetting the best part;

There's no fun in giving away all the jokes, now.

Let's not forget this too

That one made it in, though.

Conan-san

Actauly if you're looking for issues 1-35 or so of STH, there's Black and White legacy omnibusses that you can get from Comixology for pittiance.

I've been buying the Mega Man comics out of the dutiful obligation as a fan, but I can't say I think they're all that good.

The first arc, consisting of four issues was great. But after that, the quality of art, as well as the quality of writing has taken a pretty dramatic hit.

I can't say I'm expecting much out of this crossover, especially considering what it's with, but I'll be along for the ride.

And while most of the art is pretty bad in the comics themselves, a few of those covers are gorgeous.

Though, while I will say I don't particularly care for this interpretation of the Mega Man universe, I do think they treat it with respect. And as a fan, that is something I appreciate.

Please do! I am very, very impressed with what they did with it. I reread the whole thing very recently, and coming out of it, I think Arc 4 (Spiritus Ex Machina) and the Protoman arc were my favourites. Arc 1 (Let the Games Begin!) was also very well done and made me feel better about the series and writing in general.

Looks like I can look forward to catching up, then.

Yes. Very Yes.

Also, and I'm not sure about times and junk, but there's a massive sale with .99cents an issue for MM and Sonic comics on untill the end of today.

And it also looks like I can catch up by the end of the night! Thanks for mentioning the sale.

Sciz

The first arc, consisting of four issues was great. But after that, the quality of art, as well as the quality of writing has taken a pretty dramatic hit.

Hm. I won't argue over the art, as there's only one Patrick Spaziante and he's a busy man, but that first arc was hideously fast-paced and so busy blowing things up that it barely found time to establish the cast. The slower, character-driven stories of the past year have been much more satisfying to me.

Slermy

Great job to everyone involved with the handling of the OP.

I hope I'm not the only one who had the character select theme pop into his/her head when I saw this.

Every time I see this cover I hear that song.

I'm excited for this, but I'm gonna try to wait for the TPB. Might pick up a few of the variant covers just for fun though.

As was mentioned above, really wish there was some game related to this. Could do an alternating playstyle setup, or just some other genre entirely.

Top Bottom