• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and Mega Man "Worlds Collide" Comic Crossover |OT| Blue Blur meets Blue Bomber

Aeana

Since Sonic has now met Megaman and are connected in the universe
and Sonic has now met Mario and are connected in the universe

is it possible one day we'll be able to have our dream SONIC X MARIO X MEGAMAN game? ;P

That sounds like a nightmare to me.
The crossover comic still sounds like a nightmare to me, although I admit I haven't read it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The crossover comic still sounds like a nightmare to me, although I admit I haven't read it.
It's genuinely decent. Um. There are some preview pages around on various sites, and the writing's decent. Flynn's done a good job at putting references everywhere (shoot, there was a Bond Man reference in one of the first issues of this arc), and making the script cohesive. The only thing is that the pencils for Yardley's issue (I think it was SU#52) were poor compared to regular MM issues and the issues prior. The pencils in the following issue were a little better, and considering I haven't heard anything bad about MM#26's pencils from my friend who'd gotten it this weekend, I assume that the pencils are decent again.

Flynn already writes well for all three comics in general (despite the Mega Man 2 arc being rushed). Sonic Universe has gotten so much better with him in charge, and Sonic the Hedgehog cleaned up its act after Penders left and Flynn cleaned up the mess.

Aeana

It's genuinely decent. Um. There are some preview pages around on various sites, and the writing's decent. Flynn's done a good job at putting references everywhere (shoot, there was a Bond Man reference in one of the first issues of this arc), and making the script cohesive. The only thing is that the pencils for Yardley's issue (I think it was SU#52) were poor compared to regular MM issues and the issues prior. The pencils in the following issue were a little better, and considering I haven't heard anything bad about MM#26's pencils from my friend who'd gotten it this weekend, I assume that the pencils are decent again.

Flynn already writes well for all three comics in general (despite the Mega Man 2 arc being rushed). Sonic Universe has gotten so much better with him in charge, and Sonic the Hedgehog cleaned up its act after Penders left and Flynn cleaned up the mess.

Well, I should point out (though I thought it was obvious) that I don't like Sonic. Like, at all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, I should point out (though I thought it was obvious) that I don't like Sonic. Like, at all.
I kinda knew that. We aren't going to see eye-to-eye on this, heh.

Still, the crossover--outside of pacing issues at the beginning--is decent. No funny business at all.

Aeana

I kinda knew that. We aren't going to see eye-to-eye on this, heh.

Still, the crossover--outside of pacing issues at the beginning--is decent. No funny business at all.

I dunnnooo. I love Mega Man, although I can't say I've ever felt compelled to read a comic about the characters. Maybe I'll check it out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I dunnnooo. I love Mega Man, although I can't say I've ever felt compelled to read a comic about the characters. Maybe I'll check it out.
Huh, I would've though you'd have read the Ariga stuff! (Remix/Megamix and Gigamix)

What's wrong with the pacing?

I've been enjoying this series so much so far.
The first three or four issues had slow pacing issues with essentially the same things happening in each issue (Sonic and Mega Man squabble in the new Zone while The Practice enjoy a spot of champagne, and while I love the EFF/The Practice, I'd like the plot to move on a little quicker to include more stuff--honestly, when they got to Mega City, it was refreshing). Although I've been enjoying it a lot, I can't say that everything's been utterly perfect.

Though to be fair, I'm so used to the Mega Man and Sonic Universe arcs going at breakneck speed since they're four issues each.

Huh, I would've though you'd have read the Ariga stuff! (Remix/Megamix and Gigamix)

Please do, Aeana. If anything, read the Archie stuff first, cause if you go straight to the Ariga stuff, you won't want to go back...

The brilliant thing about his works of that he successfully combines multiple games into a single chapter/story (for example, gigamix # 3 has MM8 and MMV for GB in an EPIC story) while maintaining the heart and light humor of the games. I wish I would have read them earlier (or even that they get the scott pilgrim treatment and become colorized)

I heartily second the recommendation of Ariga's Mega Man mangas. I was the editor on their English versions, and I guarantee you that, as a huge Mega Man fan, they were some of the most fun editing jobs I've ever had. Ariga does some really fun, creative stuff with the Mega Man mythos and characters.

If/when you check them out, start with Megamix 1 - the mangas mostly build off of one another and are not just one-off, random stories!

Tizoc

Tch I'll give the Ariga manga a read again, last I read it, it was generic shonen with lame generic shonen dialog. I'll give credit for drawing a badass Wily though.

The way Ian managed the concept of the story is smart IMO, and while it may be slow for some, it's the most fun 'major' crossover/comic book event I've ever read.

If you want a comic that's fun and with lots of nods to the games, just get the Megaman comic series and the crossover story.

The writing's great, the dialog is awesome and the characters are endearing, I mean come on boss man:
RVBFAN314519705536465d.jpg

EVIL BRO FIST!

I heartily second the recommendation of Ariga's Mega Man mangas. I was the editor on their English versions, and I guarantee you that, as a huge Mega Man fan, they were some of the most fun editing jobs I've ever had. Ariga does some really fun, creative stuff with the Mega Man mythos and characters.

If/when you check them out, start with Megamix 1 - the mangas mostly build off of one another and are not just one-off, random stories!

Really? Bless you...

Heh this looks pretty awesome. Very surprised my friend pbones isn't in here as I know he is a huge fan of the Sonic comics at least.

I will say that I absolutely NEED those two 16-bit variant issues.
I don't know if I have ever needed something so hard in my life. Oh my...

Nubzcake

Banned
i love the shoutout to the Sonic OVA in SU 52 with copyman and mega man. that panel has me in tears
and in STH 249 the shot at Vector-man.... shame on you sega, shame on you

Penguin

The first three or four issues had slow pacing issues with essentially the same things happening in each issue (Sonic and Mega Man squabble in the new Zone while The Practice enjoy a spot of champagne, and while I love the EFF/The Practice, I'd like the plot to move on a little quicker to include more stuff--honestly, when they got to Mega City, it was refreshing). Although I've been enjoying it a lot, I can't say that everything's been utterly perfect.

Though to be fair, I'm so used to the Mega Man and Sonic Universe arcs going at breakneck speed since they're four issues each.

I guess I'm just use to comic book arcs

In 4 issues, we got the villains teaming up. Setting their master plan into action. Luring the heroes into a pretty good multiple comic fight. The heroes figuring out they're being duped and forming an alliance

Seems pretty well-paced to me so far.

Ramune

Yes, Mega Man #26 should be out in stores June 12th for nonsubscribers. From what Bean tells me, it's a good issue.

You should shoot them an e-mail at orderhelp@archiecomics.com AND sonic@archiecomics.com to see if you get a response. Not just one, but both of them. Because you should have gotten StH and SU by now.

Thanks Schala! I'll give those two a shot! :D
It's the worst feeling getting a comic you KNOW you can't read because of spoilers! >_<

is it possible one day we'll be able to have our dream SONIC X MARIO X MEGAMAN game? ;P
If we're lucky, that game will be revealed at E3.

as Smash 4

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
D'ah, I'll post my impressions/summary of StH #249 a little later when I get home.

i love the shoutout to the Sonic OVA in SU 52 with copyman and mega man. that panel has me in tears
and in STH 249
the shot at Vector-man.... shame on you sega, shame on you
Please use spoiler tags as indicated considering StH #249 just came out last week, even if it was a small joke. Additionally, the 2-week rule was stated in the OP. Thank you.

Seems pretty well-paced to me so far.
Well, the regular MM/SU comics generally go a little fast, hence the way the first arc in WC was surprising to me. Regardless, this is simply a personal preference, and not an objective sort of thing.

I was the editor on their English versions
Oh, neat. I'd never read the Japanese text for 'em before, but the English versions seemed to have been nicely done regardless.

Thanks Schala! I'll give those two a shot! :D
It's the worst feeling getting a comic you KNOW you can't read because of spoilers! >_<
And if they don't respond to you within 2-3 business days, give them a call if you can find a number. Apparently it's been happening to a few other people, so I hope it gets resolved somehow!

Wait, I didn't know this got an OT.

Art looks nice, but I've just never gotten into comics. Maybe I'll check these out though. I liked Sonic, too... once upon a time.

Really? Bless you...

They were labors of love, believe me! I'm UDON's editor, and all of my Mega Man-related editing jobs are my favorite ones to do. I just wrapped up editing on MM25 (the English localization of R20+5), actually, and it was so fun. As a hardcore Mega Man fan, I consider myself very lucky to have been able to have a professional hand in producing so much popular Mega Man-related over the last several years, especially considering that these are pretty dark times for Mega Man fans otherwise.

Oh, neat. I'd never read the Japanese text for 'em before, but the English versions seemed to have been nicely done regardless.

Thanks, that's much appreciated! And if you happen to go back and find any mistakes... this conversation never happened and/or I wasn't responsible for them. ;)

Loona

Got parts 3 to 6 today - I like how it's starting to resemble a game's structure more, with Tails Man as the tutorial level/boss, then the classic MM 8 boss system.

Do they really always have to have those tags intriducing the characters everytime they apoear though?
At least the major protagonists and antagonists already get identified on page 1, not to mention buyers are already likely to know them.
A little info on the less known characters is welcome though, a page set aside to explain where the likes of Tango and the Genesis unit come from wouldn't feel like a pause in the action as much.

Kind of unrelated, but if there's a topic to ask, this might be it - would there be some interest in some sort of game comic OT, since AFAIK none exists on GAF?
Off-topic Discussion has a comics topic, but it tends to gravitate toward Marvel/DC stuff, topics on specific gaming comics like the Shiftylook stuff don't last long when they're made, and then there's cases like the topic on Street Fighter comics at the Shoryuken.com forum mostly being inhabited by its moderator.

Comics based on games have some challenges of their own that could be worth some discussion, but from the look of things, no single title will support a living topic on its own, which feels like a bit of a waste, so maybe something more general for discussion and news could help.

Tizoc

Megaman #26 was great IMO. Megaman still looks weird in the art but everyone else seems fine, there were many hilarious moments IMO:
Sonic calling Rock out on his 'Mega Undies', and Rock responding by saying it's armor.
Orbot's answer to which Shadow Man was destroyed.
Sonic's stubbornness against the disappearing blocks, just to name a few

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yes, er. If anyone cares, Bean said he'll try to get the preview pages video up either today or tomorrow so be on the look out for that. I'll update the thread when he puts them up. Real life stuff got in the way.

You can check them out here, if you just wish to read them. I'll double-post when he gets the video up. But outside of that, yes, Mega Man #26 has been out since Wednesday.

Tizoc

Got parts 3 to 6 today - I like how it's starting to resemble a game's structure more, with Tails Man as the tutorial level/boss, then the classic MM 8 boss system.

Do they really always have to have those tags intriducing the characters everytime they apoear though?
At least the major protagonists and antagonists already get identified on page 1, not to mention buyers are already likely to know them.
Even in the later issues they have them, maybe it's the author's way of giving them whacky subtitles or descriptions?

Kind of unrelated, but if there's a topic to ask, this might be it - would there be some interest in some sort of game comic OT, since AFAIK none exists on GAF?
Doesn't sound too bad will also enlighten some people to comics or mangas for series they never knew had them, like Captain Commando.

Karakato_001

Neo Member
Don't want to sound like a downer but after reading Megaman #26, I'm not that much of a fan of the crossover tbh. Maybe it's because I'm very indifferent to the Sonic multiverse or maybe it's the change in artists after the first 4 issues but all I can say is, I can't wait for Mega man to go back to the Ra Moon arc forgetting the whole dimension crossing ever happened.

That said, I do enjoy alot of the in games jokes thrown throughout the story arc, especially when they were fighting the Chaotix group. I'm also happy to know they will switch the artist to Ben Bates (who did the Line art for the MM2 arc) after Part 8.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I think that the next arc's art is going to be better. Bean and I were talking about Yardley's art yesterday and noted that the Mega Man characters weren't up to par (and Bean noted that it was hard to put Yardley's preview pages up, since they're hard to make appropriate cuts). Next arc should go more smoothly, though. Like you said, Karakato, Bean and I were saying that since Bates is going to be on for the next arc, it'll look slightly better.

Strangely enough, I haven't found the time to read Mega Man #26 yet, despite having it since like... Thursday or something!

Note that Sonic Universe #53--Part Eight--will be out this Wednesday, June 19th.

Speaking of, Bean put the preview pages up for Mega Man #26 today, if people would like to see them if they haven't gotten the issue yet/read the preview pages beforehand. You can check it out here. You can see the rest of the preview pages, as usual, in his playlist.

Also, the regular cover of MM#26 is snazzy as heck.

dsc007041aqb2.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Next arc is SAR, right? I find it weird that they'll make that before 3. Maybe they'll get merged?
I meant the third Worlds Collide arc with respect to the art. But yeah, I think they're going with SAR next starting in Mega Man #28, and the art should be neat there too.

It'll be interesting, anyway, since like you said, SAR takes place after MM3. It's not big spoilers, but regarding stuff from the regular Mega Man issues:
seems like SAR is planned as a setup for MM3 (just like how they had the Protoman arc earlier it to set up MM3). Like... the whole thing with Ra Moon being a way for Wily to suck up to Dr. Light and start working on Gamma together with him.

I know this thread is about Worlds Collide specifically, but I can't wait. (Plus I wanted to post the variant cover. >.>)

1268269_fulynjhx.jpg
1268268_ful9ujfq.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Apologies for the double-posting, but Bean's put up his preview pages for Sonic Universe #53, which you may view here (the rest of the preview pages can be seen here, as usual).

I shall also take the opportunity to remind everyone that Sonic Universe #53's variant cover is an Evil Friends Forever cover! This one, to be precise. Click for a bigger version.

I got Part 8 a few days ago; I got to the comic store before the place was cleaned out, for once. Seems like the place only gets variants, which would normally be kinda cool - but MM #26's cover looks really nice, and I kinda want that version instead.

Anyway, this crossover has been more comedic than I was expecting it to be, which I actually find quite enjoyable. The in-jokes are cute.
I had a good laugh at the quip about the password screen - I used to say the same thing when I was younger.
And I know it sounds a little weird, but I like the color palettes that are used when Mega Man changes weapons. Granted, there are only so many color combinations you can use with the character, so it's not that impressive on paper, but for semi-original color combinations they look nice.

Tizoc

I liked Part 8 too, but man I cannot wait for Yardley to be doing the art in the final arc XoX.
Some hilarious scenes in this issue
Eggman and Wily already planning on the fallout, Eggman treating the Chaos Devil as a pet dog, and Sonic referencing one of the rap songs from Sonic Adventure 2

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Crossposting from another thread. For Android users, since I noticed a few people didn't know they were up on Google Play:

Act One: Kindred Spirits:

Arc Two: Into the Warzone:

Forthcoming:

Arc Three: Chaos Clash:
  • Part 9 - Sonic the Hedgehog #250 - July 3rd
  • Part 10 - Mega Man #27 - July 10th
  • Part 11 - Sonic Universe #54 - July 23rd
  • Part 12 - Sonic the Hedgehog #251 - August

I assume that it's up on other digital services as well. I'm not too familiar with iTunes, but I'm fairly certain that the Archie Comics/Sonic Comics app for iPhone/iPad would allow you to purchase the comics digitally as well if you haven't looked into it prior.

As for me...

bnpem7pcmam9kuf4qk64.jpg

I actually ended up picking up two copies yesterday, but one's for a friend. I think I might re-read the entirety of the series up to now so I can get all caught up.

And I know it sounds a little weird, but I like the color palettes that are used when Mega Man changes weapons. Granted, there are only so many color combinations you can use with the character, so it's not that impressive on paper, but for semi-original color combinations they look nice.
I agree. I really like the inks and colours in these issues, and I'm somewhat fond of the weapon colours as well. Not to mention that I find the weapons themselves to be really neat. Honestly, the issue involving the Chaotix sold me on that aspect very handily.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Bean's put the preview pages for Sonic the Hedgehog #250 up today. You can check them out here. You can see the rest of the preview pages here. I know when Bean showed me the one page that stood out from the rest, I was pretty psyched.

So psyched that I ended up picking up this sweet thing up today:

dsc00814aisg9.jpg

Part Nine/Sonic the Hedgehog #250 has been out since yesterday.

Tizoc

Got to read the issue just the other day and it was fantastic
Light laying down why Wily sucks was golden.
The fights in the issue were great and I loved how Sonic couldn't grab Strike Man's ball.
I'm guessing Duo will make his appearance in Part 10

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I lucked out. My store forgot where they put their stack of Mega Man #27s but they took a spare copy and gave it to me instead (because I usually ask them to reserve it for me).

Also, Bean posted his preview pages video for the issue here (playlist here). Apparently it's pretty good from what he said (he got it last week since he subs). Plus Bates is doing the art now, and it looks kinda better.

dsc00822ltk81.jpg

I went to check my book store for Part 9 yesterday. Y'know, the one that came out last Wednesday, July 3rd.

Nothing.

ffs, Books-a-Million.

Tizoc

Megaman #27 was pretty good IMO, we get to see a little about each Doctor's personality and views, gotta say
Wily NOT wanting to have Light dead surprised me...
...but man the best part about this issue IMO was
DUO DOING A SHORYUKEN!

I went to check my book store for Part 9 yesterday. Y'know, the one that came out last Wednesday, July 3rd.

Nothing.

ffs, Books-a-Million.

It's funny - I managed to snag Parts 1-4 from a Books-a-Million nearby me, but they've had those issues out forever and they've never gotten any of the other issues.

And in an unprecedented move, the preview pages for Part Eleven/Sonic Universe #54 were put up yesterday. And Bean already put up the preview pages video for it (rest of them here).

And since the cover/variant cover isn't in the OP, here you guys go (click for a bigger version):

So the next P.I.C. variant cover has the Part # this time? That's nice. I found it a little strange that this week's variant cover didn't have one. The inconsistency irked me a little bit.

Megaman #27 was pretty good IMO, we get to see a little about each Doctor's personality and views, gotta say
Wily NOT wanting to have Light dead surprised me...
...but man the best part about this issue IMO was
DUO DOING A SHORYUKEN!

Nice to see someone else appreciated the Power Fighters shoutout.

Considering the amount of comparing and contrasting that the crossover has facilitated between each series, it was natural that Dr. Eggman would finally fracture the working relationship between himself and Wily by doing the one thing that Wily intentionally avoids - trying to kill Dr. Light. Still, it's better to see something that can be predicted than to deal with a plot twist out of nowhere.

I was a bit surprised that Light managed to cobble together a blaster and join in on the fight, though. He's the Macguyver of the Mega Man universe!

PopfulMail

Nothing.

ffs, Books-a-Million.

Same boat. I snagged it last week along with the MegaMan variant... not realizing there was a 3rd cover. Went back this week and no luck. This is the first issue including all variants (and the free comic book day issue) that I've missed so far.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Just a brief reminder that Sonic Universe #54/Part Eleven is out today for nonsubscribers.

dsc00836d0q8y.jpg

Technically this isn't my copy as I've decided to give it to someone else and will be getting my own copy next week. But I did read through it and I thought it was pretty good and action-packed, and pretty darn exciting for the fact that
Mega Man essentially used all of his weapons to get rid of Metal and Bass--and how the weapon changes were presented was really awesome in that sort of camaraderie-sort-of-way.
. I think this one is my favourite issue so far, and yet again, I feel myself calling out for a crossover game with the two like this. Just because of how everything flowed, and how everything was drawn and presented. It was very good.

I know this was very brief, but I don't want to flip through the issue more than I should since I'm giving it to someone else. I haven't posted lengthy impressions in a while, and I find that regrettable. I'll do it when I get my other copy next week.

Tizoc

Sonic Universe #54 was great, awesome action all around.
"Our back up plans have back up plans!"
Looking forward to the finale and for the main books to continue the stories X3

Sciz

Okay, so despite being one of GAF's big Sonic comic fans, I haven't really weighed in on this yet. And that's because the first act ended up pretty meh and the second wasn't a big improvement (Yardley, please stick to drawing Sonic forever, thanks, your Mega Man is terrifying). So I dragged my heels on picking up the issues for the third act. Corrected that today.

Holy shit.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Bean put the preview pages up for Part 12 of Worlds Collide here! The playlist with everything else including Mega Man comic previews are in this playlist. Bean usually puts previews for the Mega Man comic up every week the preview pages for those comics go up, so if you'd like to keep following him, his channel's here. He also does a bunch of nice playthroughs for various games (mostly no-hit runs), and I've started to chronicle them in the Pokecapn thread.

I'm gonna start reading this baby soon.

dsc00853f3yp6.jpg

I GOT THE VARIANT COVER, YAY!

Anyway! Impressions coming in the next few days, hopefully. I got another copy of Part 11, too.

Incidentally, I revisited the bookstore this past Sunday, and they had parts 9 and 11 finally. (But no part 10.)

Too late, though. I already have those parts. Just waitin' on part 12, and we be done.

Tizoc

The finale was pretty good,
wonder what reality rewriting Eggman did this time though.
Looking forward to each book continuing their arcs X3.

Overall I'd say this is the best and most fun major crossover series I've read in years. I'll admit the art was iffy in the first 2/3s of the story but it wasn't anything too jarring for me.

qq more

Now that Mega Man is in Smash Bros... if Sonic returns then our wish becomes true!

JEKKI

I read the OP lol wtheck does Archie hate putting out trades or something??

I'd love to read this series in trade but o well I guess I gotta go digital -_-

Top Bottom