• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and Mega Man "Worlds Collide" Comic Crossover |OT| Blue Blur meets Blue Bomber

Ian Flynn has done an amazing job.

BECAUSE of this series I actually have got a subscription to both Sonic, Sonic Universe and Mega Man. Hell I have even started to branch out to some DC and Marvel comics (digital) but Im most of all happy for this, and I had to support Sonic and Megaman.

If there's two characters that I want to see live on from the classic days of genesis and snes, its Sonic and Megaman.

I'd really love to see a fighting game cross over between the two series, I hope this is popular enough to warrant a game, or at least some other kinds of merchandise

su_51_coverpeqwk.jpg

Also great OT!

It's finally about to be published.

I just hope they make it a proper crossover and have good interactions between the characters from both sides like a good crossover should.

EDIT: Also, good job on the OT.

Tizoc

It's finally about to be published.

I just hope they make it a proper crossover and have good interactions between the characters from both sides like a good crossover should.

EDIT: Also, good job on the OT.

Thanks~
Ian did write an issue of Sonic Universe that featured various SEGA characters to promote Racing Transformed, and it was really fun, and Ian handled character interactions really well. It also had a jab at what I believe to be a Skies of Arcadia plot point.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I guess I'll need to read some of the recent comics before this whole thing starts up... But I am interested, its a crossover that makes a lot of sense.

ChaosXVI

Really surprising to me that Capcom even allowed this to exist, what with their whole "let's sweep Megaman under a rug" mentality that they've had for a few years now. Still, as a longtime reader of the Sonic comics, I'm pumped for this.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
its a crossover that makes a lot of sense.
Capcom does seem to favor more isolated crossovers lately where their own series individually mingle with other like-minded IPs instead of just throwing everyone into a blender ala MVC. This, Street Fighter X Tekken, (out-of-character) Left 4 Dead 2 in Resident Evil 6 PC, Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney...

Conan-san

I'm convinced that Capcom US did this on the down low so Capcom JP wouldn't scream [insert insurgent cry here] and destroy it from high.

Capcom JP, I'm convinced, is a front for some sort of Uwe Boll tax evasion operation that somehow spawned Capcom US, a proud company that works day and night to make something useful out of Cpacom JP's warbelings.

So hyped for this. Sadly, the UDON books and the Archie comics are the best/only thing Mega Man has going for him right now. Not that the UDON books and Archie comics aren't awesome -- they are -- but it's just tragic to see a video game icon reduced to everything but, you know, actual games.

But yeah, I'm totally hyped for this. Mega Man and Sonic have been ripe for a crossover forever.

Tizoc

I'm convinced that Capcom US did this on the down low so Capcom JP wouldn't scream ALLAH ACHKBAR and destroy it from high.
Err just to be on the safe side, isn't that a tad racist? I did get a chuckle though heh

TBH I don't think SEGA JPN knows a lot about the Sonic comic themselves, although I have seen Japanese fanart of characters from the Sonic comic.

Way I see it, so long as it's doing well the JPN side of things doesn't interfer.

Just a quick head's up:
Megaman #24 and Sonic #247 are out, I'll try to read #247 today but if you're deciding to read the series, just start with Megaman 24.

Loona

I'll have to check this out - if it ends up being a pleasant surprise, who knows, I might check the main series, and if it does really well, maybe a game could come of it?

Sonic 3 had stages designed for characters that played differently, so some clever designing could make it work for these even more different styles, although "closed" stage sections a la Mega Man would have to be left for boss rooms alone (robot masters guarding chaos emeralds?...).
Maybe Rock's slide could be liw enough to go through places Sonic wouldn't be able to?
A Lost Vikings system where you can switch mid-stage, with bonuses for not switching?
Final boss determined by a choice of mid-boss (if Wily's mid Robotnik's final and vice-versa, riding different machines in each case)...

Since there was so much mention of nods in the Mega Man comics - is there any to that pearl of a song that is Airman ga Taosenai ("can't beat Airman")? I'd link, but I'm posting from my phone...
If they haven't I could imagine Sonic being used to play with that...

Tizoc

Since there was so much mention of nods in the Mega Man comics - is there any to that pearl of a song that is Airman ga Taosenai ("can't beat Airman")? I'd link, but I'm posting from my phone...
If they haven't I could imagine Sonic being used to play with that...

Why wouldn't there be ;)
In the OP, click on the sample pages, specifically the Scientific Mysteries one, that should give you more incentive to get the Megaman comic.

Loona

Why wouldn't there be ;)
In the OP, click on the sample pages, specifically the Scientific Mysteries one, that should give you more incentive to get the Megaman comic.

Forbidden link :(

I'm yet to check Hyadain's Mega Man stuff, but the closest to Airman ga Taosenai I saw in the samples was Woodman holding his ground.

Well, that headshot pic was kinda surprising... I guess little robots don't go to Heaven yadda yadda...

Village

^

...Exactly. We have games where Street Fighters are able to go toe to toe with Omega-class mutants, among so many others. "Sense" and suspension of disbelief kind of have to go out the window in that case.

I think the issue is that, sega wants to do things with sonic, and his friends. And Capcom doesn't really wanna do anything with megaman.

Also I am assuming all the fighting game guys are working on other things, because marvel has voiced their willingness to make more content for UMVC3 but the capcom guys are working on other things

Tizoc

Forbidden link :(

I'm yet to check Hyadain's Mega Man stuff, but the closest to Airman ga Taosenai I saw in the samples was Woodman holding his ground.

Well, that headshot pic was kinda surprising... I guess little robots don't go to Heaven yadda yadda...

Weird Megaman Network is a common Megaman fan website, which I got the image from...
...but yeah The Airman meme gets brought up during the battle.

I pick up the mega man comics monthly and have since it started...I'm not really thrilled about this cross over...I don't care about the sonic comics....I may pick up the sonic issues for the cross over but I'm not thrilled about it at the moment.

Conan-san

I pick up the mega man comics monthly and have since it started...I'm not really thrilled about this cross over...I don't care about the sonic comics....I may pick up the sonic issues for the cross over but I'm not thrilled about it at the moment.

I'm no fan about where the stories are being hung for the crossover (Would have thought they would have at least resolved (STH Spoiler)
Mecha Sally
at least) myself.

Then again, I'm sure I've defended the selfsame happening in the VGCW thread so...

Sciz

Just a quick head's up:
Megaman #24 and Sonic #247 are out, I'll try to read #247 today but if you're deciding to read the series, just start with Megaman 24.

MM #24's only out for subscribers. Street date's the 10th (retail, digital, etc). Dates are in the OP.

Sonic's done by the exact same creative staff and has a very similar tone. I suspect you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Kinda all written by the same people now, the tones are both very good, I doubt you would dislike SU and STH if you decided to pick some up, or download them digitally. Might as well now since the crossover will span all three comic series.

Tizoc

MM #24's only out for subscribers. Street date's the 10th (retail, digital, etc). Dates are in the OP.

Oh yeah I forgot, reason I wrote that is because I was at another forum and some seemed to have gotten it early ^_^;

Conan-san

Kinda all written by the same people now, the tones are both very good, I doubt you would dislike SU and STH if you decided to pick some up, or download them digitally. Might as well now since the crossover will span all three comic series.

I really wish they'd go back and DBKai some of the 1-162 stuff (especially everything after Endgame (50), that just kept getting twisted into fanwank, oy)

Boogiepop

Okay, so I'm thinking I'll grab some of each of the respective comics in preparation for this, to at least get a taste of them. I've already decided on the first Sonic Legacy volume and the first Mega Man, but I'm not sure what to go with for a taste of modern Sonic comics. Should I go with Sonic Saga, Sonic Universe, or maybe Sonic Genesis?

Tizoc

Okay, so I'm thinking I'll grab some of each of the respective comics in preparation for this, to at least get a taste of them. I've already decided on the first Sonic Legacy volume and the first Mega Man, but I'm not sure what to go with for a taste of modern Sonic comics. Should I go with Sonic Saga, Sonic Universe, or maybe Sonic Genesis?

Good question! Sonic Genesis isn't really a 'reboot' like what DC does every 5 or so years, as after it finishes it continues from the events that took place before the story began.

I recommend going with Sonic Saga Series. 2 Books are available now with 2 more releasing later this year.

As for Sonic Universe get at least Shadow Saga, it's mainly a collection of stories starring Shadow and don't have much to do with the main Sonic the Hedgehog plotlines thankfully.

I would recommend Knuckles but it takes place after a major story arc in the Sonic comic and it'll spoil some events from it.

50 Years later isn't that bad really, even if it does seem 'fan fiction' like, but I'd understand if you don't want to read it. It does feature, however
Evil King Shadow who KILLS his own loyal minions

As far as Megaman goes, grab all available TPBs! You'll have a blast reading through them. consider playing Megaman 1/Powered up before reading Vol. 1 and finsihing Megaman 2 before starting to read Vol. 3

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I honestly would not recommend the XX Years Later books if you're going with Sonic Universe. I bought the TPB out of interest (despite Sciz and Sega1991 telling me not to do it), and I genuinely disliked them primarily because the narratives didn't make sense (convolution for the sake of making something dramatic), and because the characterization is plain terrible. They were part of the remnants of Penders' run on the Sonic books, and it definitely shows. Poor writing and characterization all over the place. I truly could not stand the book.

But the SU books past that are rather fine. Flynn did a good job cleaning everything up.

I totally agree with the Sonic Saga books/Sonic Genesis/Sonic Archives, though. The Sonic Super Special Magazines released every few months also have a few Sonic comics compiled within, but they aren't really worth it.

TheOGB

Banned
Oh hey, it's finally up, and it's gloriousssss

My god, I have not read a [whole] single Mega Man comic yet. O_O

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I know Bean's working on his video for the MM #24 preview as well, so I'll post that when he's finished.

(btw, no pressure if you're reading this; take your time.)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Bean's finished editing and putting together his Preview Pages video for Mega Man #24!

You can check it out here: Mega Man #24 Preview Pages.

As always you may check out his other Preview Pages videos in his playlist here (there is a link in the OP). They're very nicely-edited, and you should probably check 'em out if you're interested in getting into the Mega Man comics.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
My sincerest apologies for double-posting, but Mega Man #24 is out today! Has anyone else picked it up?

t4tumuriysil.jpg

If anyone's got any of the variant covers, I'd love to see pics.

The issue was very good, but I'll save my commentary for a little later since I wanted to discuss the book with someone else first. However, I, for one, absolutely love the chemistry between the members of The Practice. They gave me panels of laughworthy stuff, and the Off-Panel for this issue was great as always.

It's simply amazing to see both Wily and Eggman, and Sonic and Mega Man, in the same place! The issue's definitely got me excited for the rest of the crossover issues.

Pietepiet

Picked it up on iOS yesterday and read through it right away. Eggman and Wily's interaction is indeed really good :) Can't wait for more!

Physical copies of anything Archie are really hard to come by over here, so I'll just order the collected book once it's finished.

RobbieNick

I got Sonic Universe #51 today. The same day I picked up Mega Man #24. What luck!

Oddly after reading both, SU #51 should have been the first part followed by MM #24. Instead, it ends up being a full flashback issue.

Conan-san

Mega man 24;
Huh. That escalated quickly. Though the thought of Amy, Knuckles and Shadow getting
sucker punched like Tails
amused me pink if only because it's the most competent
Bass
has ever been outside of the Battle Network games.

Tizoc

Only read Megaman #24 but it was pretty good
Was Wily wanting a Met turned into a rice cooker a jab at the Oven Robot Master from Rockman and Forte 2?
The ending did surprise me tho but I'll see what Universe #51 has to explain about all this.

I bought part 1 on Saturday. The first time Archie's gotten my money, since... shit, I can't remember when. Sonic #100? It's been a loooong while, that's for sure.

I like it. Seeing Drs. Eggman and Wily interact is too perfect. Plus they aren't triggering my own personal pet peeve with the comics (Sonic's planet is "Sonic's world", not "Mobius", so I could pretend it's Earth like it is in the games :V), which I wasn't expecting.

Part 2 is Wednesday, then?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic Universe #51 should be out today for people who don't subscribe, so hop to it! I'm not getting my issue until tomorrow, myself.

In the meantime, Bean's posted his video for SU #51's preview pages, which you can check out here: Sonic Universe #51 Preview Pages.
You can see the preview pages so far (at least for Mega Man and Worlds Collide) in his playlist here.

Pikawil

Unconfirmed Member
Sonic Universe #51: No, Sega, that's not we meant when we said we wanted a
Vectorman
revival.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Picked up SU #51 a while ago, but I haven't cracked into it yet. Pretty psyched for it because of the preview pages, though!

Thanks to PhantomOfTheKnight for finding this: some of the covers for the Worlds Collide comics are here, logo free! I know some people have been asking for some of them.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Finally read SU #51. It was great, and I love how (spoilers)
they included a dang reference to Bond Man of all things. Mega Man saying that Metal Sonic was like a blue blur was a nice touch. But the Copy Robot going through the trouble of stunning Silver? Eh. Not worth it, man. Not worth it. Shit, not even worth it to do it to the Chaotix too

The Off-Panel was fantastic.

Bean has just posted his video for StH #248's preview pages, which you can check out here: Sonic the Hedgehog #248 Preview Pages.
You may elect to see the preview pages so far for Worlds Collide in his playlist here.

Mega Man #25 is apparently out for some subscribers this week, while Sonic the Hedgehog #248 will be out on May 1st!

Loona

Bean has just posted his video for StH #248's preview pages, which you can check out here: Sonic the Hedgehog #248 Preview Pages.
You may elect to see the preview pages so far for Worlds Collide in his playlist here.

Mega Man #25 is apparently out for some subscribers this week, while Sonic the Hedgehog #248 will be out on May 1st!

I'll have to check soon if my store already got the first numbers, since they said they'd get it at the end of the month.

I only saw the preview pages/videos, but it seems a bit odd they go for the same kind of scene again - then again, it's probably one for each series to ease single-series readers in - then things can probably move on properly.

Tizoc

Finally read SU #51. It was great, and I love how (spoilers)
they included a dang reference to Bond Man of all things. Mega Man saying that Metal Sonic was like a blue blur was a nice touch. But the Copy Robot going through the trouble of stunning Silver? Eh. Not worth it, man. Not worth it. Shit, not even worth it to do it to the Chaotix too

The Off-Panel was fantastic.

Yeah I liked #51
so the Genesis wave altered reality so it's what...Post Rockman 7 in Wily's world?
...and come on, the more Roboticized mooks in Eggman's side the better, at least that's how he sees it. Not to mention that Mecha Sally has been VERY loyal to him all this time.
Sonic 248 releasing this week? Great, been wanting to see what'll happen next XP

Loona

Surely by the end of this they won't be all that chummy with each other.

I wonder if their Death Battle, which I just discovered, will be referenced, considering the ending would work as a way for the series to part their ways when the crossover ends.

Tizoc

Yeah #248 was pretty good, but now I'm confused: WTF did the Genesis Wave do?
OK so this all takes place after Megaman 10 and it surprised me as well as Dr. Light able to contact freaking DUO.
Blues is still bitter at Dr. Light will be interesting to see the lead/build up towards that.

Top Bottom