• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and Mega Man "Worlds Collide" Comic Crossover |OT| Blue Blur meets Blue Bomber

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd posted this in another thread.

dsc00556e4ece.jpg

It's so lovely. I know I've remarked that I've liked the pencilling and inks in these issues before, but it's worth mentioning again. I just think this crossover is awesome as heck, and The Practice's relationship is wonderful.

Alright, since we haven't been talking much about the issues in general in this thread, let's provide a sample of how this sort of talk could be done. Other examples are:
If you want to talk abut the comics in-depth like that, that's how it should probably go. It'll look like a giant block of spoiler text, but I think that'll encourage people to read more. >.>

Sonic #248

While I liked Sonic #248, I still think I prefer SU #51 to it, just because #51 had more progression by comparison. Just to note, just like Ian said: the plot takes place after Generations and MM10.

Despite Blues and Rock begrudgingly working together in MM10, Blues and Light still don't get along (which is an utter shame since the Blues Arc wasn't too long ago in the MM comics canon). Kinda want to know how he starts getting along with Roll (unless it's one of those things where you don't get on the bad side of a bossy girl). We barely ever get to see those two interact in most Mega Man media, so this was really nice. Duo also got a mention in this issue, so this is definitely past MM8 as well. The Roll/Blues/Light interaction should probably just get as much attention as the Evil Brofist.

The action in this was good, albeit more on Sonic's side (well, this is an StH issue, so of course). Sonic's acrobatics, BOOST TO WIN, and speed were far more than Mega Man could handle. Also "lemon shooter" made me laugh. Sonic has the home advantage here, so no wonder Mega's getting his butt handed to him. So I wonder how the next issue's going to go!

I flippin' loved how this ended, though. Tango, Beat, Rush, and Eddie all jumped into the fray! It made me nerd out a little.

I do, however, feel like Eggman and Wily are the life of the party in this crossover at this point, moreso than Mega and Sonic. Ex: Evil Brofist, Eggman's hilarious reaction to Wily mentioning this "Thomas" (Dr. Light) (ex: the "There was another doctor whom you were buddy-buddy with before me?!" reaction), etc. I wonder if Eggman got too attached, haha. Sonic's spikes being Mega Man's worst nightmare come true was hilarious as well.

Well, I did get spoiled on MM #25 because I asked to get spoiled on it, but I'm more eager to see how that issue goes now!

So following the advice from Schala, I'm cross posting this question from the Community thread. I've started collecting the WC issues, but I didn't expect the first part to be sold out at my local shop (mistake on my part). So now I'm stuck looking for that issue, which I also didn't realize that there were 2 Variants (I picked up the variant for both part 2 and 3 since the shop still had it), is there any place I can find one or both variant covers at reasonable prices and not eBay?

Sciz

Alright, since we haven't been talking much about the issues in general in this thread, let's provide a sample of how this sort of talk could be done.
I've been meaning to do writeups, but school's just now starting to wind down and these first few issues just haven't been that meaty. I get why this is broken across three books, but it seems like it's having some effects on the pacing.

I honestly would not recommend the XX Years Later books if you're going with Sonic Universe. I bought the TPB out of interest (despite Sciz and Sega1991 telling me not to do it), and I genuinely disliked them primarily because the narratives didn't make sense (convolution for the sake of making something dramatic), and because the characterization is plain terrible. They were part of the remnants of Penders' run on the Sonic books, and it definitely shows. Poor writing and characterization all over the place. I truly could not stand the book.

You're not referring to Flynn's portion of Mobius 25 Years Later, are you? I thought he a great job continuing Penders' year-long arc and wrapped it up in a way that made more sense than Penders would've. And 30 Years Later is just a great story all of its own. Ian actually turned Lara-su and Silver into likeable characters.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hot off the presses: Bean's just posted his video of the preview pages for Mega Man #25, which you can watch/read here: Mega Man #25 Preview Pages.
As usual, you can check out the preview pages so far for Worlds Collide in his playlist here.

Mega Man #25 actually came out this week for nonsubscribers, so pick it up if you can! In fact...

dsc00560icusp.jpg

I have it sitting here. I read through it a few times, so I'll post impressions later on in the day. It was a very good issue, though. Better than StH #248, imo. If you plan to post impressions for anything, keep in mind some of the posts that I linked in terms of how to format lengthier posts in general.

No one wants to be spoiled for some of this stuff, so posting etiquette and courtesy is essential.

And don't forget that Sonic Universe #52 is out next week on May 15th.

You're not referring to Flynn's portion of Mobius 25 Years Later, are you? I thought he a great job continuing Penders' year-long arc and wrapped it up in a way that made more sense than Penders would've. And 30 Years Later is just a great story all of its own. Ian actually turned Lara-su and Silver into likeable characters.
To each their own, I guess. I really didn't care for that entire piece altogether, regardless of the fact that Ian tied up the loose ends in a better way than Penders did.

Tizoc

Just read Megaman #25 myself recently (wow has it really been 2 years?!)
Great issue with awesome humor
Eggman freaking out at the threat the two TALKING would pose was brilliant

Penguin

Caught up on this earlier today.. and a fantastic series.

I hope Capcom/SEGA find a way to develop it into a light-hearted game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Mega Man #25

I thought this issue was a huge step-up from StH #248 because we finally progressed the plot somewhat.

As much as I like Mega Man and Sonic fighting it out on Sonic's turf, we finally get taken to Mega City so Mega Man can finally get a time to shine. He brings in his buddies Beat, Rush, Tango, and Eddie to help him out. I don't see a lot of people reference Tango, so this was actually real nice! Tango, for those unfamiliar with him, is from Mega Man V (and he was also in that awful Mega Man & Bass game for the Wonderswan), where he was used as a weapon (he rolls around the screen to attack enemies).

Eddie ends up handing the right replacement part for the Arm Cannon to Mega Man, and supplies him with an E-Tank. Man, I guess Mega’s just having success from Eddie’s silly roulette tonight! And we get a hilarious line from Sonic: “Of course the dog flies” when Mega Man uses the Rush Jet. As we suspected, Tango attacks Sonic with something that looks like a spindash. Sonic decided to use it in return on Mega Man, but Mega Man uses Rush Coil to evade and Beat to fire from the air. Sonic’s finally hit by Tango, and Sonic spindashes into Beat instead (art for that was great).

Mega Man’s a good guy and doesn’t want civvies to take any damage, so he tries to use words to reason with Sonic to give back the Chaos Emerald that he thinks Sonic stole from Mega City’s bank. Sonic then fires back that Mega Man kidnapped Tails, Knuckles, and Amy, and Mega Man says that he had nothin’ to do with that.

The Practice realize that the Azure Pair are actually talking to each other and then they begin to panic. I loved how in the background, Cubot and Orbot were playing go fish, and then… Cubot literally takes his dang fishing rod to go fishing. Haha. If Mega Man and Sonic realize that the duo set Metal Sonic and Copy Robot on them to make them fight, then those two could probably come back to Eggman and Wily’s crib and ruin their lovely relationship. Eggman panics and tells Tails Man to attack, while Wily thinks Eggman’s a crazy man. Eggman then convinces Wily to carry the attack out because Mega Man and Sonic aren’t working together yet, so Wily tells Tails Man to attack them as well.

Tails Man strikes both Rock and Sonic, and Sonic recognizes him. Problem: Tails Man is attacking people on the highway too! Mega Man and Sonic decide to work together to help everyone out. Mega Man tells Sonic to distract Tails Man so he could charge his Mega Buster, and with a shot and a spindash, Tails Man is disabled... somehow. I'm not sure how that happened. Mega Man decides to use his copy ability to see what’s up with Tails Man, but the copy ability ends up turning Tails back to normal.

Tails tells both of them that Bass and Metal Sonic kidnapped him, and that Eggman and Wily are working together. Long story short, Sonic and Mega Man decide to shake hands and work together. I liked how the writing contrasted them. Sonic doesn’t give a shit half the time or he usually brushes some heavy events off quickly (it’s very reminiscent of Sonic’s characterization in Sonic X, the OVA, etc.). Mega Man’s generally serious and he doesn’t really let things go; he’s pretty mission-oriented (because he’s a robot, you see). Mega Man brings up Asimov’s three laws of robotics in reference to the fact that his logic processor labelled Sonic as a robot instead of an organic being which led him to fire, and Sonic blows him off for it and tells him to forget about it.

They rush back to Light Labs only to get ambushed by Bass and Metal Sonic who are attempting to kidnap Dr. Light. Proto Man’s trying to hold them off but he can’t do it himself. I’m a little surprised Bass didn’t tell Mega Man to shut up. Haha. Tails and Proto Man try to replicate the portal that will take them to the Skull Egg Zone, and Mega Man’s aggressively telling Sonic to get off his ass and do something. They finally replicate it, and they head inside. Duo’s also mentioned for the second time in this series, which is neat.

Short Circuits… uh… I think it’s a reference to a meme I’m not familiar with. Clearly the Sonic universe needs more pirates. I thought it was a good issue nonetheless! I hope Sonic Universe #52 next week ends up being even better now that we have more tension. Jamal Peppers and Ryan Jampole shared credits on this (and I hope Mr. Peppers is well and rested).​

Finally, I'm happy that Mega Man made it to 25 issues! I remember being super-psyched upon learning that Archie was doing a Mega Man comic, and it couldn't have turned out any better. There were a few pacing problems here and there (the Mega Man 2 arc), but it's definitely picked up in later issues, with Spiritus Ex Machina, the Proto Man arc, and the first arc being my favourites. Again, I like that different artists are brought on per arc, and I love the writing in many of the issues and the little references thrown out here and there... even to the most obscure stuff. So, yes. I'm happy with the way the series is going. I hope that when Worlds Collide is finished, we'll move on to Mega Man 3 territory with good pacing!

RobbieNick

I got Sonic Universe 52 in the mail yesterday. Very solid overall. Plenty of action and quite a few jokes. The Off-Panel is hilarious.

Mega Man - We have to destroy the Genesis unit!

Sonic - "Thinks about the Sega Genesis"

Sonic - "Attacks Mega Man" The console wars are never over! This for the Saturn! Remember the Dreamcast!

Mega Man - Cut it out! I'm multi-platform!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Eh, it's a bad decision to bump this thread now, but I'm usually so on-point with this and today I'm rather late with it (well, to be fair, we got Sonic news today, finally).

Bean's just posted the preview page video for Sonic Universe #52. You can watch/read it here.
He has a playlist of all the preview pages for Worlds Collide and Mega Man here.

Sonic Universe #52 came out this Wednesday.

As for myself, I'm going out to look for the standard cover of this issue, because I got a variant cover. But I like that regular cover so much that I want to get it. Pretty happy that I finally got a variant cover, though.

dsc0058754svw.jpg

I'll be reading it later today.

Also, Duo's face. >B(

blOJhJ7.png

PopfulMail

Been able to get every issue so far including all the variants other than the prelude issue on free comic day. Local shop had a line around the store that I was not willing to wait in. Anyone manage to get a copy?

I finally had a chance to go to my comic store and they were completely out of both Sonic comics AND I couldn‘t get the EFF var for Megaman ;_;

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I finally had a chance to go to my comic store and they were completely out of both Sonic comics AND I couldn‘t get the EFF var for Megaman ;_;
I've been talking to someone else about that and he's been saying that the Sonic comics are difficult to find as well.

Meanwhile in the GTA, it's super-easy to find the regular covers of SU, MM, and StH. Tons of copies in Chapters/Indigo. Though they don't have the regular copy of #52 in yet. v_v

I've been talking to someone else about that and he's been saying that the Sonic comics are difficult to find as well.

Meanwhile in the GTA, it's super-easy to find the regular covers of SU, MM, and StH. Tons of copies in Chapters/Indigo. Though they don't have the regular copy of #52 in yet. v_v

It was an “only enough copies for subscribers“ thing, which is weird because that‘s a first.

Tizoc

IMO the art in Sonic Universe 52 is hit and miss, I like it but feel it could've been better.
A great action packed issue and the off-panel was indeed hilarious, especially Sonic saying
while walking over a bridge: "If we get jumped by a whale out here, I swear..."

I love the pace of this comic, and wonder how the remaining issues are gonna be X3.

Loona

Finally got the 1st couple of issues from my comic shop, and they managed to get me that one with the MvC cover, nice.

I couldn't get the free comic book day prologue, completely forgot about that day - I wonder if there's some other way to access a physical copy now.

Not to mention there's a mention of hints to the crossover in prior issues of both series...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sonic Universe #52

Well. I think the first thing we have to discuss is the pencils. I generally like Yardley's work, but this didn't work for me. Yardley's Rock (and assorted MM characters) is kinda off... or really off in some places. Tom Mason's colouring is really darn good, though. I hope that gets fixed in the next issue. I do want to mention that I’d wanted to get the standard cover because it’s an homage to SA2’s artstyle.

Anyway, onto story stuff. And I think I might do a small summary sort of impressions post instead because I know that a few people don't have it. For those who want to know, the pacing’s finally fixed, and characters finally get to do something.
Sonic, Mega Man, and everyone else are taken to the Skull Egg Zone, which looks super-tacky as hell. It's a combo of Eggman and Wily's favourite stuff to put in Zones and levels. Sonic notes that it reminds him of the Special Zone (the special stages; it used to be this wonky thing in the comics before--anyway, the call back was nice). Mega Man doesn't know what a Zone is until it's explained to him that it's an alternate reality (ex: Mega Man's world has no animals like Sonic and Tails, while Mobius's robots are nothing like Mega Man and Proto Man).

They get ambushed by Copy Robot and the Genesis Unit. Yes, that same Genesis Unit from The Wily Wars. The origin of these robots is from the one of the four Great Classical Novels of Chinese lit "Journey to the West" (you may recognize this from Dragonball, to be honest, since Goku's basically Sun Wukong). Sonic realizes that Copy Robot is the one who kidnapped Silver, and notes that it’s adequate reason to “kick him square in his metal underpants”.

Duo gets Dr. Light’s transmission, and makes the best face in the world >B(, and heads off to help out.

Anyway, Buster Rod G goes up against Sonic, Mega Water S fights Proto Man, and Hyper Storm H takes on Tails. Copy Robot attacks Mega Man (who uses Rush Jet and Item-2). I’d like to say that I liked the Monkey Khan references here, just because it’s a nice little nod for people who read the StH comics. I also liked it when Sonic cleverly called Buster Rod G a Kiki (something that he busts up a lot. Nice little touch there.

Above, a chao and a chao-Met are recording the action and are sending the footage straight to Eggman and Wily. Silver Man and Blaze Woman (oh, wow, Blaze!) come in and hand the two doctors the last chaos emerald. For some reason, the relationship between the EFF starts to deteriorate a little, with both of them arguing over which one out of the two are the best. They decided to solve that discussion by betting that whomever's nemesis manages to survive the longest in the battle can say that their world is superior.

I had to reserve a laugh for the “It's useless, Rock! I'm your perfect copy! I know everything you're about to do before you even do it! Strange, Isn’t it?” line that Copy Robot uttered. I love Sonic OVA so much, so that made me smile like an idiot. I even read it in Sonic’s voice from that. When Mega Man realizes that he also has a copy ability and remembers that he used it on Tails Man, and then switches his weapon to use the Tails Wind (which I think looks nifty). He defeats Copy Robot and uses it against the Genesis Unit (with Sonic taking Buster Rod G apart).

After the battle, Mega Man notes that he’s surprised to have seen Copy Robot and the Genesis Unit because he’s taken them out in the past (along with their IC chips). Sonic says that he gets the feeling that the laws of time and space have gotten warped (hence why Blaze is there, I guess).

Sonic and co cross a bridge and Sonic notes that he hopes he doesn’t get chased by an orca, haha.

When they see the Wily Egg in the distance, they’re greeted by the two doctors, and 8 roboticized masters: Silver Man, Rose Woman, Vector Man (lol), Shadow Man, Knuckles Man, Espio Man, Charmy Man, and Blaze Woman. Next issue, the real battle begins. Considering that the Tails Wind was pretty cool, I wonder how the other Masters' weapons are going to be drawn and used. I'm having a fun time coming up with what their powers could be, myself.

The Off-Panel was fantastic, and I’d love to post it here, but… well, you know. Basically:
The Genesis Unit appears and when Mega Man tells Sonic that they’re called the “Genesis Unit”, Sonic remembers the old console wars of the 16-bit era. He remembers the long dead Genesis console. He jumps on Mega Man, exclaims that the console wars are never over, remembering what happened to the Saturn and Dreamcast! Mega Man hilariously replies that he should cut it out and that “I’m multiplatform!” Hahaha. I just thought it was incredibly apt considering how GAF’s been lately.

So yes, outside of the art, it was a good issue. Can’t wait for the next one next week.

I've been waiting for the trades for this series, but I just learned that it's going to be 3 paperbacks...

I got Sonic Universe 52 in the mail yesterday. Very solid overall. Plenty of action and quite a few jokes. The Off-Panel is hilarious.

Mega Man - We have to destroy the Genesis unit!

Sonic - "Thinks about the Sega Genesis"

Sonic - "Attacks Mega Man" The console wars are never over! This for the Saturn! Remember the Dreamcast!

Mega Man - Cut it out! I'm multi-platform!

It's kinda sad when you think about it,
since MMs Saturn games were WAY better than Sonic's
. Why he wasn't on Dreamcast (I dreamt of high-Rez Legends ports...) we'll never know...

I've been buying the Mega Man comics out of the dutiful obligation as a fan, but I can't say I think they're all that good.

The first arc, consisting of four issues was great. But after that, the quality of art, as well as the quality of writing has taken a pretty dramatic hit.

I can't say I'm expecting much out of this crossover, especially considering what it's with, but I'll be along for the ride.

And while most of the art is pretty bad in the comics themselves, a few of those covers are gorgeous.

Though, while I will say I don't particularly care for this interpretation of the Mega Man universe, I do think they treat it with respect. And as a fan, that is something I appreciate.

I kinda have the same probs with the series. To be honest, I didn't dig the angle of "
Rock being somewhat of a brat, with Dr. light's finger on the shutdown button."
. No offense to the Archie crew, but I still feel Arigas version of MM is the best out there. While the Archie stories are great tributes (kinda wondering how they are going to fit Rockman World into the mythology, since that ship kinda sailed...), the manga tugs at your heart strings.

I still am happy to see that Archie is staying true to the series (Sonic lost me when it became more like Star Wars and less about the games). Here's to hoping that MM doesn't take the same route...

PS: Ariga Duo is the BEST Duo "
watch out, kids, or else, DUO WILL COME FOR YOU!!!"

(kinda wondering how they are going to fit Rockman World into the mythology, since that ship kinda sailed...)

Well, judging from that one time travel issue, it seems they plan I-IV to be together with the Killers as the main enemies or something like that. I think it'd be a good approach personally.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Can't say as I do. Sonic doesn't seem like the kind of character who lends himself well to romance subplots.
Yeah, I feel similarly. He's always playing around, telling jokes, and never taking things seriously. That's his personality in the games, in the anime, in the OVA, and in this Worlds Collide subplot.

Nubzcake

Banned
Yeah, I feel similarly. He's always playing around, telling jokes, and never taking things seriously. That's his personality in the games, in the anime, in the OVA, and in this Worlds Collide subplot.

i know but i like the little moments they have from time to time

Loona

Bean put the preview pages video for Sonic the Hedgehog #249 up while I was asleep (and usually I'm quick!). Here they are: Sonic the Hedgehog #249

I doubt Protoman's had the ability to use his shield to slide down surfaces in his games, since those tend to use a rather blocky stage structure, but it's a neat little detail that could made a MM character more viable in a Sonic-ish stage if this were to b made in a game, nice touch.

MAtgS

Only Sega Sonic characters in this arc.
Well to be really really technical, Sally did originate from Sonic 1.

Frankly, I get they're using game characters only so that gamers reading the books for the 1st time can follow along but I'm pretty certain there are more people who know who the Freedom Fighters are than
the Genesis Unit
. & it's just strikes me as bad timing to do this sort of thing on the comic's 20th anniversary.

Tizoc

Just read Sonic #249, was fantastic and had lots of nods to stuff from both games.
I was however surprised at
Snively showing up at the end =O. Granted he may not have a role in the story, but I found what was done to him to be utterly cruel

RobbieNick

Ricky in Japan was called Sally Acorn (yes, THAT Sally) here and Picky was Porker Lewis.

I think since then, they've all gone back to their original "--cky" names.

Ramune

I did the subscription with all the covers, and so far I've only gotten up to MM #25 with their respective variants. Do they send them three issues at a time or something? I figured it'd be quick to receive them since I'm in CT., NY's backyard! ;)

But OT, I really like how Ian's handled both series, and so far, I'm happy with how well both characters have been treated in this cross over as well as the homages and fan service! I would really want a game next though. So much potential.

Ramune

Came home just now to find Mega Man #26 in my mailbox....but no variant cover along with it. Not to mention the fact that I haven't even received the last Sonic and Sonic Universe issues along with their variants. Gonna shoot Archie a call tomorrow. :-\

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yes, Mega Man #26 should be out in stores June 12th for nonsubscribers. From what Bean tells me, it's a good issue.

Came home just now to find Mega Man #26 in my mailbox....but no variant cover along with it. Not to mention the fact that I haven't even received the last Sonic and Sonic Universe issues along with their variants. Gonna shoot Archie a call tomorrow. :-\
You should shoot them an e-mail at orderhelp@archiecomics.com AND sonic@archiecomics.com to see if you get a response. Not just one, but both of them. Because you should have gotten StH and SU by now.

Also, because I'd been off of GAF for a week, I'd neglected to post that I got Part Six last week. I'll post impressions when I get back. I think I'd said that it was an issue that made me wish we'd gotten a little game from. Haha. I loved the power-up ideas.

bldmcyqcuaez3rxbaqv0.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Since Sonic has now met Megaman and are connected in the universe
and Sonic has now met Mario and are connected in the universe

is it possible one day we'll be able to have our dream SONIC X MARIO X MEGAMAN game? ;P

Top Bottom