• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Gameplay Walkthrough (Classic And Modern) [Non-Playable Cream]

PhantomOfTheKnight said:
Same character. Scourge was originally blue just like Sonic, but when he tried to use the Master Emereald to go Super, he was interrupted, and his fur changed permanently to green.

EDIT: Beaten.
Oh.

I have to admit, that sounds significantly less retarded than what I had in mind from looking at him.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Professor Beef said:
I look forward to Schala's posts because of the emotional swings they provide. :lol
I'll try to provide hilarity and entertainment when I can. :p

Articalys said:
Which Sonic comic was it where Eggman was in some ridiculous Mexican wrestler costume or something? I remember seeing some panels from that story and found it pretty funny.

El Gran Gordo?

7-27-10_El_Gran_Gordo.jpg

PhantomOfTheKnight said:
I also think
that's the same reason as to how Sonic got green eyes
, but don't quote me on that.
Isn't that the reason that the comic gave? I forgot which issue it was...

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
SolidSnakex said:
Walkthrough videos for Green Hill Zone

Classic Sonic
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/classic-style-sonic-generations/714051

Modern Sonic
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/modern-style-sonic-generations/714053

The Classic Sonic gameplay shows Sonic stay in his ball form whenever he goes off of a ramp instead of popping out of it like the older videos.

Looks really good, even the Modern Sonic part looks fun (including those combo moves). might double-dip on this; PS3 for trophies, PC for Master Race superior graphics and framerate.

Anth0ny said:
My theory is they got MJ for Sonic 3... so they wanted another pop star for Sonic 06? I guess? :/

Those Gametrailers vids are fantastic. I'm very excited that they fixed the whole "come out of the ball" problem. Now all they need is

SonicCDSprite--article_image.jpg

Why not, Sega? WHY NOT?

I still flippin hate the modern Sonic gameplay (based on my experience with Unleashed), so I hope it ends up better than that. But honestly, I'm buying this for Classic Sonic.

The peel-out move looked cool, but it wasn't all that useful, as it left you more vulnerable to damage than the spindash.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
PhantomOfTheKnight said:
I was refering to the comic, yes.
Ah, okay.

I think it's Issue 71-- the one where they tell the story backwards. Something like...
Sonic straps the Super Emerald to his back and runs around to save Knothole. Turns into Super Sonic and then Ultra Sonic, and then new incarnations of Sonic to attract some beam that's causing time to warp or something (it's been years--give me some credit for actually remembering parts of this, lol). Sonic runs so fast that he attracts the beam to himself, rather than Knothole. Thus, Sonic is blasted by the beam while being exposed to the Super Emerald energy, causing his eyes to turn green

So it's similar to how Scourge turned green as well, you're absolutely right.

Sciz

Articalys said:
Which Sonic comic was it where Eggman was in some ridiculous Mexican wrestler costume or something? I remember seeing some panels from that story and found it pretty funny.
It's a running gag in the latter half of Archie's now-ended Sonic X comic. The book as a whole flickers back and forth between actually being written for its target audience and being ridiculously self-aware and over the top. The latter kind of issues are much better than anything based on Sonic X has any right to be.

The classic video was pretty nice. There are still some issues they should deal with:

-Around 2:35, something funky is up with Sonic's rolling. Looks a lot like Sonic 4.
-Like some have said, he has to snap back to the track on one loop.
-The tunnels instantly propel Sonic. Why not let the slope build momentum on it's own? That's kind of suspicious.

I would really like to see some people test the momentum. Hopefully we will see some of that in a few weeks at E3. The level design does seem to offer several paths. The art is amazing. I'm a bit more excited with this footage. I'm still not convinced, though.

Modern even looks a bit better this time around. As always, it would be great for more play area rather than a straight boosting fest, but it does seem to have some alternate paths. It might be a good idea to shorten the boost bar. With the player gaining boost as a reward for 'combos' there is absolutely NO need for that much boost.

RagnarokX

TheCongressman1 said:
-The tunnels instantly propel Sonic. Why not let the slope build momentum on it's own? That's kind of suspicious.
The tunnels have always done that. Never tried going back up one?

Krowley

Holy shit!!! Are they actually making a good 3d sonic? WTF?

The video above looks pretty awesome. I have been out of the loop a bit and I had no clue about this game, but I'm a huge sonic fan.

I need to research it further.

Lijik

Dat Graphic Design Splooge all over the loading screen looks fantastic.
I love how they went balls out crazy with the classic act art design

RagnarokX said:
The tunnels have always done that. Never tried going back up one?

Yes I have, and nope, they don't. It doesn't shoot Sonic forward at a constant speed like generations does. You can see it in the first classic play video. It may have been changed here, but can't tell because he spin dashed into every tunnel.

I guess it's not too big of a deal, but I just think it's odd.

TheCongressman1 said:
Yes I have, and nope, they don't. It doesn't shoot Sonic forward at a constant speed like generations does. You can see it in the first classic play video. It may have been changed here, but can't tell because he spin dashed into every tunnel.

I guess it's not too big of a deal, but I just think it's odd.

Actually, certain parts of the S-tunnel do "push" Sonic along. It's not a constant speed, though.

But Sonic CD did have you "auto-run" up the vertical loops in Palmtree Panic once you passed the d-pad symbol with enough speed. (I messed with those things so much. Sonic has a bunch of specialty animation for them, including one pose you can trigger by dropping down from the top, which you only otherwise see for his "I'm outta here!" 3 minute time-out.)

Kulock said:
Actually, certain parts of the S-tunnel do "push" Sonic along. It's not a constant speed, though.

But Sonic CD did have you "auto-run" up the vertical loops in Palmtree Panic once you passed the d-pad symbol with enough speed. (I messed with those things so much. Sonic has a bunch of specialty animation for them, including one pose you can trigger by dropping down from the top, which you only otherwise see for his "I'm outta here!" 3 minute time-out.)
Glad to know I'm not the only one that screwed around with the vertical launchers in Palmtree Panic.

Kulock said:

But Sonic CD did have you "auto-run" up the vertical loops in Palmtree Panic once you passed the d-pad symbol with enough speed.

Ah, well if he is pushed by the tunnel, it should look more gradual than it does here.

Anyway, I used to mess with that plus shaped boost thing too. Good times.

If he doesn't speed up when going into a ball down a slope, or slows down as a ball with momentum, then you're doing it wrong, SEGA.

That said, it looks gorgeous - aesthetically speaking.

RobbieNick

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
Wasn't there already an "evil" version from a parallel universe?

He absorbed some of the Master Emerald and it changed him green instead of blue. They recently had a great story that involved every Hedgehog character where Scourge took over his entire opposite dimension and Sonic and the gang had to stop him by going into his world. It included the awesome character of Rosey the Rascal. An evil Amy Rose that was incredibly psychotic and obsessed with smashing Scourge with her spiked Piko Hamer.

BTW, yes it does appear that the comic will get a soft retcon that won't totally effect modern continuity, but clean a few things up. Proof can be found in the upcoming Sonic #225 I have the spoilers here. Be warned, if plan to buy this issue, you may want to wait as a major character appears to bite the bullet.

Eggman has relaunched his Death Egg into the sky. Sonic, Sally (his long time on again, off again GF who is now on again) and Tails take the Bi-Plane up to the Death Egg. They manage to smash their way in and Sonic and Sally split up. Sonic has to take on none other than SILVER SONIC (Yes, from Sonic 2.) who hasn't been seen in forever. Sally turns a corner right in front of a large turret. BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! Eggman, watching on, smiles. He launches "Operation clean sweep" which bathes both the Death Egg and the planet in a white light. Sonic hears the gunfire and stops fighting Silver Sonic to run over and find Sally's broken goggles. He screams "SALLY!" as he's bathed in the white light himself.

Why can't they just take the game engine from the 'Classic' mode and try and make THAT into a 3D game.

That's what they need to do.

The 3D game seems so poor in comparison.

Look at those long speed paths... WHY would they make them have sharp walls like that and not have curved 'quarter pipe' like edges that I can run up if I'm getting wide and if I feel like getting a speed boost I can turn and take a jump fly up in the air and use my momentum coming back down to burn off in a forward direction...

*sigh*

Graphics look incredible though. I used to love Sonic so much but being burned so, so many times I think has just been slowly letting me down to the point where even though I have this nostalgia for Sonic I just don't think I'm going to enjoy playing the games any more.

Maybe it's also got to do with the growing up syndrome and the fact that I've been growing away from Nintendo's stuff recently too.

Teknoman

The PC version was confirmed?

ColonialRaptor said:
Why can't they just take the game engine from the 'Classic' mode and try and make THAT into a 3D game.

Look at those long speed paths... WHY would they make them have sharp walls like that and not have curved 'quarter pipe' like edges that I can run up if I'm getting wide and if I feel like getting a speed boost I can turn and take a jump fly up in the air and use my momentum coming back down to burn off in a forward direction...

*sigh*

Graphics look incredible though. I used to love Sonic so much but being burned so, so many times I think has just been slowly letting me down to the point where even though I have this nostalgia for Sonic I just don't think I'm going to enjoy playing the games any more.

Maybe it's also got to do with the growing up syndrome and the fact that I've been growing away from Nintendo's stuff recently too.

Growing up syndrome?

RobbieNick said:
He absorbed some of the Master Emerald and it changed him green instead of blue. They recently had a great story that involved every Hedgehog character where Scourge took over his entire opposite dimension and Sonic and the gang had to stop him by going into his world. It included the awesome character of Rosey the Rascal. An evil Amy Rose that was incredibly psychotic and obsessed with smashing Scourge with her spiked Piko Hamer.
Please tell me they gave her some variation of Amy's classic design.

RobbieNick said:
Eggman has relaunched his Death Egg into the sky. Sonic, Sally (his long time on again, off again GF who is now on again) and Tails take the Bi-Plane up to the Death Egg. They manage to smash their way in and Sonic and Sally split up. Sonic has to take on none other than SILVER SONIC (Yes, from Sonic 2.) who hasn't been seen in forever. Sally turns a corner right in front of a large turret. BLAM! BLAM! BLAM! Eggman, watching on, smiles. He launches "Operation clean sweep" which bathes both the Death Egg and the planet in a white light. Sonic hears the gunfire and stops fighting Silver Sonic to run over and find Sally's broken goggles. He screams "SALLY!" as he's bathed in the white light himself.

:eek:

They'll never do it.

Zomba13

Teknoman said:
The PC version was confirmed?
If there is a PC version I'm defo getting that. The Sonic Fan Remix game demo thing looks AMAZING in 3D and I suspect this would too.

King Boo

what's this? might be for pc too?

i guess i'll play it if it's close to being sonic 1-3 & k good.

i know you guys hate friends, but i wouldn't mind playing as knuckles.

it should work out pretty well for pc too. i just need the right arrow key and space bar for jump.

Teknoman

Kinda laughed when he was talking about the design team philosophy in the modern sonic section, as soon as the playing jumped off a rail into a pit.

Wish people playing as modern sonic wouldnt boost all the damn time though.

Man, the more you guys bring up the current status of the comic, the more I'm tempted to actually get back into reading it.

the same duo who's doing Sonic Universe is doing the new Mega Man comic

Sciz

Man, the more you guys bring up the current status of the comic, the more I'm tempted to actually get back into reading it.
There's a lot more comic book adventure and a lot less soap opera drama than there used to be. The writing still gets pretty cheesy on occasion, but Flynn stops short of delving into the sheer depths of stupid that Penders kept dragging the book down to. The art's much better on average, too.

Rlan

They all went over to the "Evil" universe where Scourge and stuff lives. The standard Amy's retcon costume / age was due to some wish on a special ring or something. Evil Amy did the same thing, only it broke her brain (and kept her original costume)

The Sonic comics have always tried to have some sort of "retcon" event -- like Sonic going into space for "a year" (or 5 issues) and then coming back, leaving some undetermined time for stuff to happen, but ultimately do absolutely nothing with it. Despite Sonic's age as a comic (225 issues is a LOT), they've still practically have everything in the same continuity, even the original slapstick style of comic and how those things came about.

ColonialRaptor said:
I used to like fun stuff, now I seem to not... :/

That has nothing to do with age, but I'm sorry hear that.

ColonialRaptor said:
WHY would they make them have sharp walls like that and not have curved 'quarter pipe' like edges that I can run up if I'm getting wide and if I feel like getting a speed boost I can turn and take a jump fly up in the air and use my momentum coming back down to burn off in a forward direction...

I didn't even realize that until now. That would be a great way to use the 'momentum based' gameplay that they claim is there...

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
ColonialRaptor said:

*sigh*
I feel you, brotha. Believe me, I do.

King Boo said:
i know you guys hate friends, but i wouldn't mind playing as knuckles
We don't hate friends, just the shitty ones.

Modern Sonic looks considerably worse than Colors, but I hope thats just cause its the first level.

Classic Sonic looks Ace.

Still I want to see the 3DS version.

TheOGB

Banned
New gameplay looks great. Not 'FUKKEN HYPE' levels of great yet, but 'Hell yes, it is getting there nicely'. Classic music and art coming back the way they are is pretty exciting, now we just need to see another level.

I really hope that's the JP voice of Sonic, because if they altered Roger Craig Smith's voice... :|

I do agree about the boost meter, they could make that less easy/more rewarding. Make it shorter, and/or don't make rings count towards boost. More skill = more boost/being able to maintain boost. If one were to prove their skill in maintaining their boost meter, then they probably have skill enough to handle boosting nonstop. If they don't then they don't get to boost everywhere like an idiot.

TheCongressman1 said:
That has nothing to do with age, but I'm sorry hear that

It's a bit more complex than the way that I answered it.. but I really used to like 'comedies' and 'fun happy colourful' things and I used to absolutely ABHOR the idea that things had to be dark and gritty to be fun and that it had to have guns or swords and had to involve some sort of killing to be 'mature'.

But, I have found myself unable to enjoy things that are made for 'all ages' lately.

I love Mario, have for all my life, but I couldn't finish Mario Galaxy 2.

I thought I'd love Ratchet & Clank but I didn't enjoy that.

Anything with that kind of art style just doesn't float my boat any more.

I watched Tangled the other day and while I quite enjoyed it and thought the animations were great there were some parts of it that I really struggled through (such as the songs).

TheOGB said:
I do agree about the boost meter, they could make that less easy/more rewarding. Make it shorter, and/or don't make rings count towards boost. More skill = more boost/being able to maintain boost. If one were to prove their skill in maintaining their boost meter, then they probably have skill enough to handle boosting nonstop. If they don't then they don't get to boost everywhere like an idiot.

Yep, that's perfect.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
A little OT, but why do some people have the dinosaur from "All My Friends Are Dead" in their avatars? :lol

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I was so excited to, but then I found it was Wii only, which I do not have. :(
If you liked the Rush games on DS, you could always invest in Colours DS. It has the same musical score, but Sonic's friends make very very very minor cameos (honestly, I doubt they'd make a major blip on your radar).

RobbieNick said:
Shit, that sounds awesome. Gotta pick that issue up. Even the cover looks excellent.

I highly doubt they'd kill that particular character off, though.

RGzVN.jpg

Source: IGN

Now I'm pissed I am no longer reading the comic. Damn it ALL. Where should I begin reading anyway if I was to resume? Its been so long...

SimonM7

The footage of modern Sonic Green Hill Zone from the pre-E3 event really reminds me of how intensely I love the Colours gameplay. I really hope they can sort some way to have that co-exist with classic Sonic stuff in the future, because I'd be really bummed if the vocal backlash of notorious classic fans somehow invalidates the appeal of the new ones.

I like both, I really do, but that's just it; I like both. That's genuinely scary because the way 3D Sonics have been shunned - by people burned by the wonkier ones, by people who honestly don't know how to play them or even people who never bothered trying - Generations is inevitably gonna prompt loads of reviewers talking up the classic stuff based on familiarity if nothing else. Familiarity always wins. It didn't matter how good Street Fighter 3 was, it was never gonna stand a chance against the nostalgia tour de force and pick-up prowess of SF4. Sure, returning to roots, re-evaluating what something is essentially about is healthy and can ultimately be revelatory. Mortal Kombat is an especially apt example of this, and Sonic - especially in regards to 06 - sorely needed it thematically and in terms of its imagery.

But the new thing in Sonic's case - and in the case of plenty of action/adventure games gone 3D - is such a vastly different thing from the old thing, and one with its own set of genuinely rewarding mechanics. It's an adrenaline filled, twitchy F-Zero to the methodical and subtle Wipeout of the old ones, and I would be profoundly saddened if the result of Generations is a Sega without faith in the mechanics they've finally, after years of banging their collective head against a brick wall, have arrived at.

As an aside; the irony isn't lost on anyone, surely, but I took Sonic 4 for a whirl again today (having finished it up proper back when it came out) and what an amazingly bizarre thing that's turned out to be. That really was the one that should've been the new classic Sonic line of games. Now, frankly, it's just this shitty, bland thing inbetween *every enjoyable iteration of Sonic* that isn't evocative of any of them, let alone an appealing thing of its own.

Top Bottom