• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Gameplay Walkthrough (Classic And Modern) [Non-Playable Cream]

daffy

Banned
tikal.gif
vs.
cream%20and%20cheese.gif

hmmm, well now its only right that Tikal is included. Considering Cream is a homely loli version of her

Ranger X

I am trying to be positive. We might have a Sonic game that's half good instead of just "bad".

I loved the "old gameplay" video but couldn't sit through the whole video of "modern gameplay" --- wich will sadly prevent me from buying the game.

JonCha

Ranger X said:
I am trying to be positive. We might have a Sonic game that's half good instead of just "bad".

I loved the "old gameplay" video but couldn't sit through the whole video of "modern gameplay" --- wich will sadly prevent me from buying the game.

Really? Even if the modern gameplay is well put together?

*Looks at modified title*

Why god, why? Cream is by far the worst character to infect the series, Sega should be slowly phasing her out (along with Big and Silver) to continue getting Sonic games back on track. Chaos 0 and Tikal are far more deserving of a cameo, they were relatively decent characters that didn't deserve being tossed aside.

JonCha said:
Really? Even if the modern gameplay is well put together? This kind of attitude really annoys me.

Its well put together in terms of serving people who are interested or enjoy that type of gameplay. You will often find that people who enjoy the classic method are not fans of on-rails, twitch control, button-prompt fests.

Its like being mad that somebody who likes to play F-Zero isn't a fan of The Sims. Completely differen't styles of gameplay.

TimmiT

Sega announced from day one that Sonic's shitty friends would make unplayable appearances in the game. How is this surprising?

Suzuki Yu

Scullibundo said:
Its well put together in terms of serving people who are interested or enjoy that type of gameplay. You will often find that people who enjoy the classic method are not fans of on-rails, twitch control, button-prompt fests.

Its like being mad that somebody who likes to play F-Zero isn't a fan of The Sims. Completely differen't styles of gameplay.
no, it's just the game telling you what you need to do , for example if B appeared on screen that means that you need to slide.
it's there just to get used of the game control and system. later on, the game will stop warning you each time when you are required to do something.

also there is nothing wrong with the game been on-rails.
there are many great on-rail games out there, although i wouldn't call this game "on-rail" ... secret rings was.

Sianos

As long as Sonic's many "friends" stay out of the actually levels, I don't really have a problem with them.

I hope that the game is still slated for PC and that they just let some details slip early ... I hope.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
The fact that Sonic Team made a cute rabbit girl and named her Cream the Rabbit was the point at which they began trolling their own fanbase.

Problem is, it's such a good troll, I can't really fault them for it.

Azure J

Kaijima said:
The fact that Sonic Team made a cute rabbit girl and named her Cream the Rabbit was the point at which they began trolling their own fanbase.

Oh my God, mind blown. :lol

Mista Koo

I'm one of the few here who is almost equally excited for both parts. I've wanted to play a decent 3D Sonic for a while (by decent I mean by 3D Sonic fans standards).

If I can choose one old zone to return it'd probably be Hill Top Zone. Yeah the music wasn't the best but the setting was really beautiful and unique, I'd love to see it with Generations graphics (though I think I'll be disappointed).

orioto said:
I would just blur the background a little to make the front plan stand more.
I agree.

Nirolak said:
We'll see what google image search comes up with. I'm sure it could only be wholesome family content given the Sonic fanbase: http://www.google.com/search?q=Crea...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1680&bih=919
God bless safe search.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kaijima said:

I don't know if it's good that I never ever made that connection or not. Hopefully good!

Mista Koo said:
I'm one of the few here who is almost equally excited for both parts. I've wanted to play a decent 3D Sonic for a while (by decent I mean by 3D Sonic fans standards).

If I can choose one old zone to return it'd probably be Hill Top Zone. Yeah the music wasn't the best but the setting was really beautiful and unique, I'd love to see it with Generations graphics (though I think I'll be disappointed).
Naw, there are probably quite a few of us interested in the Modern Sonic gameplay, myself included. Try Sonic Colours if you haven't already.

I simply don't see SEGA adding Emerald Hill, Hill Top, Mushroom Hill or Splash Hill when they already have Green Hill. Hill Top is nearly identical to Emerald Hill--the grass and tiles are identical but palette swapped.

Mama Robotnik pointed it out in the Videogame facts that blow your mind thread.

Kaijima said:

Wait, what? Her Chao pal is named Cheese.

As in Cream Cheese.

...wait I don't know if that makes it worse or not.

Somebody's probably already mentioned in one of the other threads, but I wouldn't mind seeing Nack/Fang the Weasel/Sniper cameo somewhere in this. He seemed to be the last Sonic character that had a lot of visual-appeal behind him while serving a logical role that wasn't completely arbitrary but didn't distract from the main-game like Shadow and everybody else in the newer games almost always did.

I have a soft-spot for Big though (ST's response to Totoro if he suffered mild brain damage) and Blaze for debuting in a game that wasn't terrible and playing fun enough in said games without any 'deep' backstory.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Modern Sonic gameplay is a guilty pleasure of mine. Sure, its basically a bunch of high-speed quick-time events, but it looks so damn cool.

I'm really glad that Colors dialed things back and focused on sidescrolling, slower platforming, and environmental exploration though.

Don't get why everyone's bitching about a Cream cameo; she starred in some of the most well-received Sonic games once SEGA became third party (Advance 2, Rush; not to mention she was practically ACE in Chronicles). There are FAR worse characters out there.

No.

Where's my Mighty the Armadillo?

146858-21618-mighty-the-armadillo_large.png

You've used Espio, Charmy and Vector, but where's Mighty?! Knuckles Chaotix reunion?!

FIND THE COMPUTER ROOM.

Also, I don't mind the Cream cameo. It's not that big of a deal in all honesty. I figured the rest of the Sonic cast would show up. Just leave Sonic/Modern Sonic playable.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Cream might be in Generations?

J8mBM.gif

Tails and Knuckles, okay, no problem with those two. Anyone else is a big no.

JazzmanZ

You guys are telling me a game that celebrates classic and modern sonic isn't supposed to have sonics shitty friends?

next your all going to rant about why Silver and Rouge the bat are in it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
JazzmanZ said:
You guys are telling me a game that celebrates classic and modern sonic isn't supposed to have sonics shitty friends?

next your all going to rant about why Silver and Rouge the bat are in it.
SEGA should hire the guys who did the 2006 LP just to do a special commentary track over the game. Because they are the sole reason that absolutely anything good game out of that game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Some of you are equating Sonic's friends being in an anniversary game that celebrates 20 years of Sonic to the Rapture.

We all knew his friends would show up sooner or later. They just aren't playable. Given that this is an anniversary game, you can't expect SEGA to just omit his friends, can you? :p

Who voices Cream in NA now? Any idea?

RagnarokX

BY2K said:
Cream might be in Generations?

Tails and Knuckles, okay, no problem with those two. Anyone else is a big no.
I would limit the main cast to Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Robotnik, and Metal Sonic. Amy can be done well, especially if they make her playable with the gameplay she had in Sonic Advance 1 (it was like hard mode). The Chaotix are pushing it, and anyone introduced after that is just down right awful.

Dark Schala said:
Some of you are equating Sonic's friends being in an anniversary game that celebrates 20 years of Sonic to the Rapture.

We all knew his friends would show up sooner or later. They just aren't playable. Given that this is an anniversary game, you can't expect SEGA to just omit his friends, can you? :p

Who voices Cream in NA now? Any idea?
Michelle Ruff, who does Yukari's voice in Persona 3, Rita's in Vesperia and C. Viper's in SFIV among others.
Still pretty much sounds like Cream though, even if it is a little less grating than the previous voices.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hitlersaurus Christ said:
Michelle Ruff, who does Yukari's voice in Persona 3, Rita's in Vesperia and C. Viper's in SFIV among others.
Still pretty much sounds like Cream though, even if it is a little less grating than the previous voices.
spindashing said:
Michelle Ruff!

Edit: Beat. =(
Thank you both. Then that isn't terrible. Her voice probably won't be grating since I'm quite used to it. Ruff's also Katherine in Catherine.

*looks up more credits*

Shadow is voiced by Kirk Thornton (Mr. Morooka in Persona 4, Jade Curtiss in Abyss)! Wonderful.

Troy Baker's Espio now. <3

rekameohs

Banned
Modern Sonic gameplay looks more like Unleashed than Colors, which is not a good thing. I guess it's all about the Classic Sonic anyway.

Classic mode looks like what I wanted Sonic 4 to be. Modern mode looks like the same boring damn-near-on-rails crap that we've had for the last few years.

Why can't they just do a Sonic 2006 style game but, you know, good? That's what I want, tbh.

Big One

Banned
If they are going to put Sonic's shitty friends in, I hope we get classic characters like Nack and Mighty this time. Have classic friends, with shitty modern friends all together. That would even things out imo

However I could see this just being another case of Sonic Colors DS. Handheld version (made by Dimps) has shitty friends in cameo form, console version has no shitty friends.

SykoTech

SolidSnakex said:
I don't have a problem with Sonic's friends as long as they aren't playable.

Yep. Cream has a very annoying voice though. So does Amy Rose. So I hope they don't talk too much.

Dark Schala said:
Logical, and nothing to really worry about if this reasoning is correct.
Sorry, but I really don't think you're fully grasping just how game breaking having to talk to Amy for 5 seconds to start a side-mission is going to be. [/sarcasm-though-it-probably-will-be-annoying]

Yeah, ithis seems like a nice substitute. Hope as someone said above if they're having 'modern'-only characters they'll have classic-only characters to pop-up. Plus it's nice to see this game's had a proper development time for once, though it's leaving me a bit paranoid how many changes they'll be able to make this far into development if anything major gets noticed before the game launches.

ElRenoRaven

SykoTech said:
The lack of speed was the chief complaint of Sonic 4? Not the physics? Who is this lady?

Lol, Modern Sonic glitch.

Well he still adressed the physics when he said they weren't aiming to recreate the Genesis gameplay with Sonic 4. That though means they lied flat out in their interviews about 4. They kept saying time and time again they were trying to recreate the feel of those old Sonic games.

mattp

PsychoRaven said:
Well he still adressed the physics when he said they weren't aiming to recreate the Genesis gameplay with Sonic 4. That though means they lied flat out in their interviews about 4. They kept saying time and time again they were trying to recreate the feel of those old Sonic games.
yep
so infuriating

Dark Schala said:
*The footage we're looking at is pre-beta, apparently.

Side missions, eh? Then I theorize that Sonic's friends could probably give them to him. Logical, and nothing to really worry about if this reasoning is correct.
I feel like Sonic's shitty friends would be the best way of dealing with side missions and extraneous characters.

Run into Big the Cat, "durr sonic get me 50 rings" and he's gone for the rest of the game. Hardly intrusive and gives you something to do.

It'd certainly be easier and cooler than like in Sonic Unleashed where they make up like 60 new mostly forgettable human characters.

Oh! Just saw this! The level design doesn't look particularly great, and the physics aren't quite there, but all in all it's a huge improvement from Sonic 4. Also, I do want to say I love the graphics. They're so cute and lovely! They are just the way classic Sonic should be done.

TheOGB

Banned
Drkirby said:
And if there will be TF2 items, due to the game getting a PC release
Fuck yes

TimmiT said:
This reminds me, back on April 8th (before the first gameplay trailer), Trunks on Sonic Retro said that according to a source, the game would have remade levels of each major Sonic game with unlockable costumes.
Slingerland, one of the site staff, verified this a couple of pages later.
Fuck yes

I am totally okay with Colors DS-style side missions because, well, they're side missions. I don't need to touch them.

NTom64

From The Dust said:
the Modern level looked more like Unleashed than Colors. Colors had more 2D elements in the levels

Modern Green Hill seems to have as much platforming as Tropical Resort (Act 1) did tbh.

Top Bottom