• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations Gameplay Walkthrough (Classic And Modern) [Non-Playable Cream]

RagnarokX said:
But we still don't know if Generations bucked the bad physics yet.
But it allowed sega and devs to learn that we bitch like mad over sonic and they go do things about it, that is what I mean.

Without sonic 4 being delayed this game could have been stuck with uncurling, slow ass acceleration, shitty rolling physics and walking up walls, but we will never know.

RagnarokX

Diablohead said:
But it allowed sega and devs to learn that we bitch like mad over sonic and they go do things about it, that is what I mean.

Without sonic 4 being delayed this game could have been stuck with uncurling, slow ass acceleration, shitty rolling physics and walking up walls, but we will never know.
Unless I missed a super in-depth preview, we don't know about uncurling on the ground and rolling physics. In the latest video those things appear to be absent (except for Sonic uncurling when he rolls onto the corkscrew bridge) but we don't know what buttons the player was holding; the player could have been holding down and forward like you have to do in Sonic 4. Hopefully E3 impressions will clear this up.

Anyone see the classic sonic model so small standing on/against some of the environment? when he's standing against the tv screens and the rings he looks like a miniature sonic

RagnarokX said:
But we still don't know if Generations bucked the bad physics yet.

I'm probably putting a noose around my own neck here, but I don't know if I'd be quite as anal about physics in Sonic Generations, speaking personally. Yeah, it'll suck if the game is uncontrollable, but as far as being "accurate" goes, I'm not too bothered by what I've seen so far.

Sonic 4 was cannibalized simply by the notion that Sega wanted to bill it as "the sequel to Sonic 3". Those are big shoes to fill, and rather than make a game that felt like an evolution of Sonic 3, they just made a pointless, hollow, nostalgia-grab - a game that lacked any of the personality or character so carefully imbued in the original Sonic games. The bad physics just helped sell the "Yeah, we don't really care enough about this game" vibe exuded from Sonic 4.

Sonic Generations is showing a bit more attention to detail with regards to character and style. Classic Sonic looks like the "old concepts filtered through a modern lense" that we should have gotten with Sonic 4. On top of that, the music is great, the visuals are great... While I would definitely very much enjoy it if they nailed classic Sonic's controls and gameplay concepts, I'm willing to let that slide a little bit more in this case.

I personally find Chemical Plant zone 'good'. I've never been sure where all the undying praise for it comes from.

You outrun the fucking screen.

And Sonic 4 Ep 2 should just be brand new classic-style stages on the Hedgehog Engine.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Day 1. As always. The gameplay looks fantastic and this is Sega's chance to show the haters Sonic isn't dead.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
RagnarokX said:
In the latest video those things appear to be absent (except for Sonic uncurling when he rolls onto the corkscrew bridge) but we don't know what buttons the player was holding; the player could have been holding down and forward like you have to do in Sonic 4.
That's why I'm not letting my hype go through the roof yet. I mean, it looks amazing and appears to do everything right, but until I get my hands on the game in some form (ie: a possible demo), then I'm going to try to keep my hype in check.

I also need to see more levels other than Green Hill Zone. What will the Modern and Dreamcast levels look like for Classic Sonic? Will they have multiple level layers to run through? Will they hold up in "2D" play? Will the Classic zones hold up in 3D play? What will the maps look like--will they encourage exploration? Will the special stages be similar to older special stages, or will they be completely new?

These are just some of the questions I have in the back of my mind for this game. But as long as it's fun, like I thought Colours and Unleashed were, then I'll likely enjoy this game. I've been satisfied with what I've seen so far. I'll be willing to let expectations of Classic gameplay slide if the overall presentation and product is excellent, like a few have already said in this thread.

Also: Soundtrack, Day 1. :3

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Barkley's Justice said:
honestly? watching those 2 videos back to back illustrates how truly ridiculous his "contemporary" gameplay is. Or how it's become, rather.

Pfft! The contemporary gameplay is basically what Sonic always did in our dreams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPC8W672mXc

Running at blistering speeds, running on water, huge jumps, crazy set pieces.

That's modern Sonic.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if they are going to stick what the original pitch leaked years ago that said the game would have levels from games up to Sonic Adventure 2 in the game.

Which the video was direct feed, since the camera didn't capture the lighting very well. Far to over exposed.

Also, the Sega sure loves the "Giant Fish chasing sonic while on rails" element that has been in a ton of 3D sonic games since Adventure 1. This time they even got rid of the allusion that it wasn't on rails and just put Sonic on a set of rails.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Drkirby said:
I wonder if they are going to stick what the original pitch leaked years ago that said the game would have levels from games up to Sonic Adventure 2 in the game.
Ruby said in the other thread (and I think other sites reported as well) that the game will have levels from "Genesis", "Dreamcast" and "Modern" games. Though I'm not sure if I should take that at face value and theorize about other games being in there--mostly because I'd like some Sonic CD levels and Game Gear levels in there too (C'mon, Sunset Park Act 3!).

RubyEclipse said:
Stay tuned, though - there's some good stuff to come as we reveal which games and zones we picked from for the three main eras. (Genesis, Dreamcast, Modern.)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wonder if they will have anything original or the game will be just a hand picked assortment of past levels. Also wondering if there would be any sort of story or not.

And if there will be TF2 items, due to the game getting a PC release

The "Classic, Adventure, Modern" motif was even referenced in the videos in the OP. I think the guy mentions it near the end of the Modern Sonic run.

OMG Aero

Drkirby said:
I would totally pre-order this game on Steam if I get to put this on my Pyro:
EtNlU.jpg

NTom64

Drkirby said:
Wonder if they will have anything original or the game will be just a hand picked assortment of past levels. Also wondering if there would be any sort of story or not.

Story's about Sonic being pulled into the past via time holes. Time travel, basically (think 06, only not completely shit).

Rich!

Was eager to watch the video. Turned it off when I realised the guy wouldnt fucking shut up.

fucksake. It's Sonic. We don't need it explained to us in fine detail.

TimmiT

Drkirby said:
This reminds me, back on April 8th (before the first gameplay trailer), Trunks on Sonic Retro said that according to a source, the game would have remade levels of each major Sonic game with unlockable costumes.
Slingerland, one of the site staff, verified this a couple of pages later.

Demathe

Neo Member
Classic looks incredibly awesome. I'm really loving it.

Modern looks alright but that's cool. I don't need the modern zones to be amazing, I need them to be alright. I think of them as an interesting way to see classic zones through a new perspective.

But classic is where it's at. This is what that absolute piece of shit Sonic 4 should have been like. I'm just glad Sega finally seems to get it right.

OMG Aero said:
I would totally pre-order this game on Steam if I get to put this on my Pyro:
EtNlU.jpg

It's too bad you can't equip shoes in TF2. I would probably dig Sonic cleats for the Scout.

And then there was that fan-made hat that gave the Engineer an Eggman mustache and goggles...

Sega1991 said:
It's too bad you can't equip shoes in TF2. I would probably dig Sonic cleats for the Scout.

They added the Essential Accessories, that replaces the Scout's shoes. Hell, they replaced the Pyro's entire head to do Foster's Facade.

Would also need to modify the Scout pistol taunt so he says "You're too slow!"

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Sega1991 said:

And then there was that fan-made hat that gave the Engineer an Eggman mustache and goggles...
Valve could likely do it. They were able to replace the scouts socks

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
"And as you can see in this cave section, this represents a part of the modern Sonic design philosophy..."

*Sonic then glitches and falls into abyss*

XD

Classic Sonic looks awesome! ^_^

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
More confirmation (though I don't know how reliable the magazine is, but Sonic Stadium seems to be on the ball quite often) that a 3DS version is in the works: http://www.sonicstadium.org/2011/05/nintendo-accion-magazine-confirms-3ds-sonic-game/

Sega Sammy has also removed the PC and 3DS listings from its report, however. But this might be due to them accidentally letting those details slip through too early:
TSSZ News said:
Both English and Japanese versions of the report have been revised on the Sega Sammy website to reflect only the already announced XBOX 360 and Playstation 3 versions coming.

Though it remains possible the entries were made in error, both 3DS and PC editions appear to be a sure bet by this point, leaving most fans to believe someone at corporate let the cat out of the bag early.

And it seems that Cream is in Sonic Generations:
TSSZ News said:
We’ve known for some time that, while the core gameplay in Sonic Generations will be handled by just classic and modern Sonic, we would see a few in-game appearances from other characters in the Sonic universe. Today, we received our first guidance of who may have made the cut.

It comes from the Japanese page of Aoki Sayaka. Ms. Sayaka is the Japanese voice artist for Cream the Rabbit, and she revealed–complete with a side picture of a Sonic Generations logo and some Godiva chocolate–that she’s recorded some lines for a new Sonic game.

s4HvZ.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
HK-47 said:
Welp, page two was well and truly a mistake my eyes wont soon forget.

Excuse me, gotta get the bleach.
I think the image on page one of some guy getting transformed into Cream The Rabbit is probably creepier.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Nirolak said:
I think the image on page one of some guy getting transformed into Cream The Rabbit is probably creepier.

That one didnt come up for me. I'm not going back there. I'll just take your word for it.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Nirolak said:
We'll see what google image search comes up with. I'm sure it could only be wholesome family content given the Sonic fanbase: http://www.google.com/search?q=Crea...&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1680&bih=919
35258ir.jpg

Marrshu said:
Why. God? Why would you do this?
Look on the bright side--it could be like Colours DS where the friends simply made cameo appearances and weren't too important to the narrative. And we already know she isn't playable.

SolidSnakex said:
I don't have a problem with Sonic's friends as long as they aren't playable.
Pretty much... unless their names are Tails and Knuckles (and Amy could be hard mode or something).

Sblargh

Banned
Comemorating Sonic's 20th birthday is just a conspiracy to make me feel old.
Stop running you cruel blue bastard metaphor for time.

ElRenoRaven

Dark Schala said:
More confirmation (though I don't know how reliable the magazine is, but Sonic Stadium seems to be on the ball quite often) that a 3DS version is in the works: http://www.sonicstadium.org/2011/05/nintendo-accion-magazine-confirms-3ds-sonic-game/

Sega Sammy has also removed the PC and 3DS listings from its report, however. But this might be due to them accidentally letting those details slip through too early:

And it seems that Cream is in Sonic Generations:

s4HvZ.png

Well I knew my hope was unfounded. I knew Sega had to be hiding something. I can see it now. You play as his friends like like you did in SA 1. They're just hiding that. lol Sega just can't go without fucking up a Sonic game. I predict we will find out there are some Bigs The Cat Fishing sections next.

Teknoman

RurouniZel said:
"And as you can see in this cave section, this represents a part of the modern Sonic design philosophy..."

*Sonic then glitches and falls into abyss*

XD

Classic Sonic looks awesome! ^_^

That wasnt a glitch, I think the guy just jumped off the rail.

PsychoRaven said:
Well I knew my hope was unfounded. I knew Sega had to be hiding something. I can see it now. You play as his friends like like you did in SA 1. They're just hiding that. lol Sega just can't go without fucking up a Sonic game. I predict we will find out there are some Bigs The Cat Fishing sections next.

They're there for cutscene/background purposes i'm sure. Just like Tails in Sonic Colors.

Sega has said since the fisrt time this game was announced that characters from the past 20 years would be APPEARING in the game, NOT PLAYABLE. Why is this a surprise to anyone? Are you people retarded?

w00tkins

Hitlersaurus Christ said:
Sega has said since the fisrt time this game was announced that characters from the past 20 years would be APPEARING in the game, NOT PLAYABLE. Why is this a surprise to anyone? Are you people retarded?

Seriously.

Why has Cream been added to the title? She'll only appear as a background character or for a quick cameo. It's not like she'll be of much importance to the game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Hitlersaurus Christ said:
It was even reiterated in the linked article.

None of Sonic's friends are playable. It's just Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic. There doesn't appear to be a Sonic 2006-esque "Last Story" section of the game either. She, and other friends, will be added to the game for most likely a quick cameo or a Colours DS-like appearance. The friends could also just be featured in cutscenes only.

Combichristoffersen said:
oh dear God

Well, this is horrifying...

RobbieNick

w00tkins said:
Seriously.

Why has Cream been added to the title? She'll only appear as a background character or for a quick cameo. It's not like she'll be of much importance to the game.

Since there are hub worlds in this game, I believe most of the cast will be in it for a quick cameo. Probably to give Sonic an extra mission or level. See Sonic Colors on DS.

Top Bottom