• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania review thread

TrueBlue

I haven't been following the other game. Are there 2D stages there too?

Yeah, it's essentially Generations with mostly original stages plus an avatar character.

Before Mania I think a lot of people would have wanted that. But now Mania is here, having Classic there feels redundant - especially since the physics/level design don't seem to have improved much.

I sympathise with Sonic Team to an extent. I imagine Classic Sonic's role in Forces was set in stone far before Mania came to fruition. Even so, that's not an excuse for seemingly not improving it at all.

Duxxy3

Only if you haven't been keeping tabs on the developers and the previews! This is very much the outcome that was deserved.

Though even I expected more polygon level reviews where the reviewer doesn't seem to gel with the genre.

I haven't been. I watched a few early videos and thought it looked like the old Sonic games that I played when I was younger. I haven't had a Sonic game since rush.

Looks like an all digital month for me. Hellblade, Starcraft remastered and now a good sonic game.

Mania's reception marks the difference of what makes a good Sonic game and what makes a great Sonic game.

Games like Colors are Generations are considered solid titles, but nothing special against the rest of the market. You don't see many people saying they could give Mario, DK, or Rayman a run for their money. They also have at least one major flaw that drags them down quite a bit from hitting that level of greatness.

Mania doesn't have those drawbacks. Detractions such as the bosses or low amounts of original levels are only considered small flaws against a game considered great on fundamentals alone by most. A few reviewers are also even calling Mania among the best platformers out there, let alone among the best Sonic games (if not the best Sonic game).

Comparisons sake: Mania's 86 metascores place it comfortably against the likes of Nintendo's NSMB games (NSMBW at 87, and NSMBU at 84) and Retro's DKC games (Returns at 87 and Tropical Freeze at 83).

Ok I'm convinced. 20 bucks down for a classic Sonic game. I doubt it'll be better than Sonic & Knuckles (3) but I cannot wait to check it out.

Let my memory of bad Sonic games drift away, just like Sonic 4 (bah).

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'm still totally buying this, but I've got to wonder how much these review scores are skewed by nostalgia rather than completely on merit of content and gameplay.

Ducktail

How's the Switch port? 1080p60 docked I hope?

Can someone please check this so we can put people's minds at ease? I'm seeing this question pop up a lot. I'd like to give a reassuring "Why the hell wouldn't it be 1080p???" but you never now with modern gaming development.

This isn't suprising given the talented folks that worked on this. Whiteheads Retro engine that was used for Sonic Mania is the same as Sonic 1/2 iOS/Android remakes. If you played those you know the dedication and passion that was put into those would only be exponentially increased when given the opportunity to expand creatively.

MrBadger

Both avatar stages do have 3D(ish) segments - the Green Hill looking one ends with a chase sequence, and we've seen Park Avenue has lengthy 3D portions. Switching between 2D and 3D is fairly standard for Modern Sonic at least.

Ah, I didn't really count the crab chase sequence but this is my first time seeing the 3D Park Avenue stage. I don't think it looks good, but hey it's 3D

Also a bit of a warning to anyone else, I didn't stick around long enough to see if it was just my recommended feed, but there's a thumbnail that clearly shows the Sonic Mania final boss in the related column to this video. I really wish Youtubers would stop doing that...

MrBadger

I'm still totally buying this, but I've got to wonder how much these review scores are skewed by nostalgia rather than completely on merit of content and gameplay.

Sonic has been playing the nostalgia card since 2010, so I think it's safe to say Mania is reviewing well despite bringing back Green Hill for the dozenth time, not because of it.

I see you

Breakign+bad+-+you+got+me.jpg

VariantX

It's surprising they actually followed through on this premise.

This is literally a sonic game made by sonic fans who started out making Rom hacks and remixed/remastered versions of sonic music. There was no other outcome to expect as long as Sega didn't get in the way of that.

Sonic 4 Epi. 1's MC metascores were mostly in the low 70s (Wii version was significantly higher for some reason at 81). Epi. II's MC metascores were in the low 60s.

I would guess that compared to most other WiiWare titles in common knowledge Sonic 4 wasn't actually outstandingly bad. Sure, there were some better titles there, but that's not the problem. The store didn't have a critical amount of titles that would allow everyone to just ignore the worst cash-ins while rating the regularly bad games. While you have aquarium and fireplace screensaver approximations on a console in the back of your head, Sonic 4 Episode 1 gets extra points even just because it's a game.

Episode 2 getting worse reviews is what I could call "for some reason". The only explanation that comes to mind for that one is that set of reviewers must have changed significantly.

Silvawuff

I thought that might be the case too, but I'm thinking back to the reception of Yooka-Laylee, as an example. It was a game made in the spirit of Banjo-Kazooie but flawed on different levels, nostalgia aside, and the reviews echoed that sentiment.

This isn't a comparison mind, just a personal observation. I think a lot of the reviews here seem to be wholesome and held to a fair metric.

The Taxman

Neo Member
Can someone please check this so we can put people's minds at ease? I'm seeing this question pop up a lot. I'd like to give a reassuring "Why the hell wouldn't it be 1080p???" but you never now with modern gaming development.

Game runs 1080p60 docked and 720p60 undocked! The main difference between Switch and the other versions is a lack of achievements and added portability / joycon 2P support.

Sciz

Game runs 1080p60 docked and 720p60 undocked! The main difference between Switch and the other versions is a lack of achievements and added portability / joycon 2P support.

Long shot, but the PC version doesn't happen to support >60 fps displays, does it?

J@hranimo

Banned

Congrats to you, Stealth, PagodaWest and everyone else involved! Can't wait to play it on the Switch tomorrow.

Episode 2 getting worse reviews is what I could call "for some reason". The only explanation that comes to mind for that one is that set of reviewers must have changed significantly.

Episode I was released at a time when the most recent Sonic games then were Unleashed and Black Knight. Expectations for Sonic games were arguably low to the point any Sonic game that was mildly good or did the bare minimum of what people wanted (it's 2D, Sonic only, none of "Sonic's crappy friends", etc.) would be praised at a time like that, even if it was in direct conflict as to how fans felt about the game as a self-proclaimed sequel to Sonic 3&K. A few sites did list it as one of the year's disappointments in retrospect though.

Episode II was released after Colors and Generations, which unlike Episode I were games both fans and the press agreed were good Sonic games. Standards had been raised by then. That and Episode II's implementation of co-op, which was the centerpiece of the game's design, also divided everyone.

AAMARMO

Banned

Man I do hope SEGA hire your team again. You made a Sonic game that we all wanted for years and now they delivered. Thank you so much.

Ristifer

Congratulations to you, Stealth, PagodaWest, and the rest of the team! This looks to be a dream come true, and I hope this is just the beginning of more wonderful things to come!

congrats to you and everyone who worked on mania, hope you are having some well deserved rest now.

Feeroper

Oh man I cannot wait - I got both the PS4 and Switch version to support this. Easily my most anticipated game this year.

Congratulations are in order. You've managed a fine achievement, and made the dream seem real for so many.

Feeroper

Oops double post.

Have we confirmed yet if there are save games like in sonic 3 or is it a runthrough in one game like the other classic sonic games?

Spwn

Seeing the review scores made me buy the game. I've been waiting for some impressions before pulling the trigger. Looking forward to playing the game myself.

In the world of videogame reviews 7 is not a great score.

Enforcing that thought isn't healthy for the business. If the reviewer is known to use 1-10 scale, then 7 is a good score. "7-9 scale" is a very 2001 mindset.

Just wanted to say congratulations and thank you so much for what you did, along with Stealth and everyone else involved with the project. This looks like the game I've been dreaming about since 1994 and I'm glad it's getting such glowing reviews.

Mory Dunz

Mania's reception marks the difference of what makes a good Sonic game and what makes a great Sonic game.

Games like Colors are Generations are considered solid titles, but nothing special against the rest of the market. You don't see many people saying they could give Mario, DK, or Rayman a run for their money. They also have at least one major flaw that drags them down quite a bit from hitting that level of greatness.

Mania doesn't have those drawbacks. Detractions such as the bosses or low amounts of original levels are only considered small flaws against a game considered great on fundamentals alone by most. A few reviewers are also even calling Mania among the best platformers out there, let alone among the best Sonic games (if not the best Sonic game).

Comparisons sake: Mania's 86 metascores place it comfortably against the likes of Nintendo's NSMB games (NSMBW at 87, and NSMBU at 84) and Retro's DKC games (Returns at 87 and Tropical Freeze at 83).

Your post just reminds me that Tropical Freeze might just be the most underrated game of the entire generation or further.

not exaggerating.

If the 2D artwork was made for 1080p resolution, I wonder if that creates some scaling artifacts when running in 720p on Switch's display?

Phoenixus

Bless you for your hard work and dedication. Will be buying this on Switch first chance I get and will happily double dip for a retail copy if that happens. :)

Doosi

Banned

The Switch port runs at 1080p 60 FPS docked.

Top Bottom