• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania review thread

The one thing I expect from Mania's success, is that we could get the complete classic franchise* (Genesis titles) on the Switch. Would be great to have 1-2-3+K-M on the go!!

*Taxman ports

Phoenixus

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. If they get to work on another title with all original levels it might get to be a numbered entry.

I'd be okay with them taking a page out of Nintendo's book and calling it New Sonic 4. It'll be easier to forget the original. :p

jcjimher

This game is essentially a romhack

A sexy beautiful romhack <3

I know you are well intentioned, but Sonic Mania is not comparable to a romhack in any way.

Technically it's filled with little and not-so-little things that would be impossible to achieve in a romhack (because of Mega Drive limitations). Content-wise, even the recycled graphics and other elements are re-touched almost fully (again, some in subtle ways).

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
I'd be okay with them taking a page out of Nintendo's book and calling it New Sonic 4. It'll be easier to forget the original. :p
This is a bad idea. "New Sonic" being associated with this doesn't sit well for me.

I'd hope they go with something Sonic Mania 2

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I thought that might be the case too, but I'm thinking back to the reception of Yooka-Laylee, as an example. It was a game made in the spirit of Banjo-Kazooie but flawed on different levels, nostalgia aside, and the reviews echoed that sentiment.

This isn't a comparison mind, just a personal observation. I think a lot of the reviews here seem to be wholesome and held to a fair metric.

Yeah it does seem that way from the ones I've read. It was a genuine question, because I'd say "finally, the Sonic I remember" is probably quite a powerful emotion when playing this.

It's not clear whether anyone did this (from what I read), but several run throughs would clear that up.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I'm allowed my opinion, believe it or not. I personally haven't enjoyed a Sonic game since Sonic and Knuckles, with the now-defunct and unavailable Sonic Level Creator as a lone exception. I played a lot of them, I didn't enjoy them, what more do you want?

I mean, I'm glad people did like them. I'm glad people enjoyed Sonic Generations and Sonic Colors for example - they weren't for me (too much boosting rubbish and gameplay I just do not enjoy). I didn't like them. I didn't like Sonic Adventure. I didn't like Sonic Rush. But I do like this. I want to buy this, and am going to, tommorow.

So, what is so outrageous about that? What makes is a shitpost?
Don't worry, I'm with you. I'm actually interested in a new Sonic game for the first time in over 20 years.

It’s digital-only on every platform as of now.
Ah, that's too bad.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Game runs 1080p60 docked and 720p60 undocked! The main difference between Switch and the other versions is a lack of achievements and added portability / joycon 2P support.

Huge congrats to you and the team on this game!! The story of Mania coming to fruition is so unique and such a tremendous accomplishment.

For real, this will be the very first Sonic game I'll buy on Day One since SA2 in, what, 2001 or something? Hope you had a great time and we get to see more of your efforts in the future.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Sonic..........IS BACK?!

14cUhIq.gif

Ferr986

Game runs 1080p60 docked and 720p60 undocked! The main difference between Switch and the other versions is a lack of achievements and added portability / joycon 2P support.

Man... I still remember trying your Sonic Retro fan game, and look where we are now... Really, congratulations to you, Stealth and all the Mania team. What an amazing achievement!

ValeYard

I don't know which version to get now, this is AMAZING! Maybe Switch first. SONIC BOOOOM!

Nah, Sonic 4 needs to be this gameplay without the crutch of having so many reused levels.

It's annoying to know that the whole reliance on old stages isn't even the team's fault. It was something Iizuka mandated.

I don't get how that guy still has a job at Sonic Team. He was the director of Shadow the Hedgehog for christ's sake. I suppose he does deserves some credit for getting this game off the ground, I guess.

yyr

Wow, nice review scores.

I've got so much work to do this week, but now I'm thinking of buying it on XB1 tomorrow...

RK128

I'm allowed my opinion, believe it or not. I personally haven't enjoyed a Sonic game since Sonic and Knuckles, with the now-defunct and unavailable Sonic Level Creator as a lone exception. I played a lot of them, I didn't enjoy them, what more do you want?

I mean, I'm glad people did like them. I'm glad people enjoyed Sonic Generations and Sonic Colors for example - they weren't for me (too much boosting rubbish and gameplay I just do not enjoy). I didn't like them. I didn't like Sonic Adventure. I didn't like Sonic Rush. But I do like this. I want to buy this, and am going to, tommorow.

So, what is so outrageous about that? What makes is a shitpost?

No, it's perfectly fine to dislike the 3D games. I love the series (I uh...played through all of them last year. If I didn't like the series, I wouldn't have done that :p) a lot, but I won't lie and say the 3D ones are perfect by any means. Every 3D game (Sonic Adventure 1 through Shadow) had major issues with games post that point being really bad (06 and Secret Rings are really poor).

It got better for me personally staring with Black Knight and Unleashed, but those are devisive games for people. And yes, Colors and Generations many love (myself included) but I can completely get why you wouldn't like them. The focus on Boosting sometimes conflicts with Classic Sonic-style gameplay (though to Gens credit, 3D levels like Seaside Hill Modern and Sky Sanctuary Modern toyed with more open 3D levels) sometimes.

You explained your points on why post Classic Sonic games don't appeal to you, which is a lot better than people saying 'Sonic sucks'. I respect what you did, explaining yourself. I'm happy you are hyped for Mania and I really hope we all love the game :D!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If the 2D artwork was made for 1080p resolution, I wonder if that creates some scaling artifacts when running in 720p on Switch's display?

The artwork looks like it was made for 320x240 resolution. But I get what you mean - it might not neatly scale when switching between 720p undocked and 1080p docked

The low res look is beautifully done. Watching Jim fucking Stirling’s review video and seeing some of the sprite rotation effects with horrible staircasing as the objects rotated. Gorgeous. Probably a lot more effort than perfctly smoothly rotating them

Top Bottom