• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania review thread

cordy

Banned
I was planning on getting this around Christmas on a sale...if that...I was hyped but I figured "nah I can hold off"...

But after these comments towards it, I think I'll be picking it up sooner than I figured. Jesus I can't believe this is really happening. Lord.

Yukinari

Im glad Dunkey used that stupid ass IGN footage cause i laugh everytime.

The stigma with Sonic has gotten so bad that people try to rewrite history now which is probably why he gave a history lesson to begin with.

"The blue blur's stumbled a bit in recent years..."

He has but in terms of raw exposure he's still a massive thing. The only issue is SEGA being fools and keeping this digital, whereas they could probably have done a budget disc release and made Crash Trilogy money.

It'll convince a few thousand that the game is good, I guess.

dlauv

He has but in terms of raw exposure he's still a massive thing. The only issue is SEGA being fools and keeping this digital, whereas they could probably have done a budget disc release and made Crash Trilogy money.

It'll convince a few thousand that the game is good, I guess.

You can understand why since they consistently took the wrong lessons from the last four games under-selling.

VDenter

Banned
Sonic Advance, Rush, Colors and Generations have been pretty universally acclaimed.

Ymmv on the Adventure games. Still saying Sonic was only great on the Genesis is a pretty ignorant statement.

Some of those are decent but nothing remarkable. The Adventure games killed my interest in the franchise completely,they represent the downfall of Sonic more than anything else even if much worse Sonic games exist. I still stand by my comment that there has not been a great Sonic game since the Genesis/MegaDrive days. At best you have something just ok like Sonic Advance or Colors.

RAIDEN1

What now for Mr.Whitehead and his team? Surprised to read about the members of the original sonic team wanted the traditional content to be in this game, hence not much room to go to "new places".....this guy needs to get onto Streets of Rage!!

Menitta

DG2BUz5UMAAtd3V.jpg

Lmao I just got to this episode.

Scrolling down the thread made me incredibly happy. Can't fucking wait!

Some of those are decent but nothing remarkable. The Adventure games killed my interest in the franchise completely,they represent the downfall of Sonic more than anything else even if much worse Sonic games exist. I still stand by my comment that there has not been a great Sonic game since the Genesis/MegaDrive days. At best you have something just ok like Sonic Advance or Colors.

Those Advance games were more than "ok". Those were some quality handheld 2D Sonic games during the time Sonic had no new 3D entry post-Adventure 2 until 2003.

xviper

Sonic the hedgehog 1 was my first video game i played, it hold a very special place in my heart

i'm very happy Sonic mania got great reviews

how long is Sonic mania and is there a physical release ?

IzzyF3

Don't know if I'm getting PS4 or Switch. I like the PS4 d-pad more. I'll check out the multiplayer modes and see if it's something that is fun in table top mode, although, table top mode has been fairly useless because the screen is just too small.

Sonic the hedgehog 1 was my first video game i played, it hold a very special place in my heart

i'm very happy Sonic mania got great reviews

how long is Sonic mania and is there a physical release ?

There is no physical release. The only physical release is the collectors edition which only comes with a digital code of the game.

RRockman

Banned
Those Advance games were more than "ok". Those were some quality handheld 2D Sonic games during the time Sonic had no new 3D entry post-Adventure 2 until 2003.

Some people simply can't accept that there were great sonic games that weren't the Genesis games. It's dissapointing, but I guess it could be a lot worse.

I could give you the first Advance, but the level design for the sequels were really poor IMO. They both suffered from being streamlined for the sake of speed as in the 3D titles of the era, with Advance 2 being mostly comprised of super linear levels (hence the comments about Advance 2 being "holdright2win" and being "Straight Line Zone: The Game") and Advance 3 being a labyrinthine of mostly empty levels you run through. There is no coherence or balance to how the levels are structured compared to the Genesis games.

The Special Stages in all three titles (either the stages themselves, or accessing them in the game's levels) were rather crappy too.

ThaPhantom

I am kind of baffled it took Sega this long and really it wasn't even them. All these years they just had to use an engine that played like the classics and add fresh ideas and it would be well received. Mania should have happened a long time ago and not that travesty that was Sonic 4.

Yeah, it does. I was actually spoiled on a couple returning zones I didn't know about.

Well, unless they were revealed in the animated intro or the launch trailer, which I haven't watched.

A couple of them are spoiled in the animated intro though it isn't immediately obvious.

I am kind of baffled it took Sega this long and really it wasn't even them. All these years they just had to use an engine that played like the classics and add fresh ideas and it would be well received. Mania should have happened a long time ago and not that travesty that was Sonic 4.

Realistically, even if Sega (or Sonic Team, whatever) had gone back and did a 'Genesis'-styled Sonic game, I don't think they would have given it the same amount of care and attention to detail as the developers have done with this game. Certainly, at the time I would have gladly accepted a half-assed retro cash-grab given the alternatives, but in a way I'm glad we're getting this game now instead of then, and by people who have the right amount of talent - and love - to be able to pull it off. It seems the stars have aligned themselves in just the right formation to allow something like this to happen.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It's up in the UK for those that are interested.

RK128

My review of the Switch version, including a video of gameplay:

https://tiredoldhack.com/2017/08/14/sonic-mania-switch-review/

That was a beautifully written review. You touched on your personal history with Classic Sonic surely, but made very valid points about why Mania is such an impressive game. While I personally grew up with the 3D titles in the series and THEN tried out the classic games (and loved them too), the classics are games I deeply respect for what they accomplished.

Your review, in addition to my own personal hype, has made me very excited to play Mania midnight tonight :D.

Played a bit last night when it unlocked (Australia), and as someone who didn't group up with the Genesis titles, it's a lot of fun. I never want to see Green Hill Zone again though.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
so how is the game about replaying levels and unlocking stuff?

can i do that or do they need to be done in one run straight through?

how do lives / saves work?

I could give you the first Advance, but the level design for the sequels were really poor IMO. They both suffered from being streamlined for the sake of speed as in the 3D titles of the era, with Advance 2 being mostly comprised of super linear levels (hence the comments about Advance 2 being "holdright2win" and being "Straight Line Zone: The Game") and Advance 3 being a labyrinthine of mostly empty levels you run through. There is no coherence or balance to how the levels are structured compared to the Genesis games.

The Special Stages in all three titles (either the stages themselves, or accessing them in the game's levels) were rather crappy too.

This is complete false. Sonic Advance 2 is as Straight Line Zone as Sonic 3K. If you want to get all medals for all the levels, you have your fair share of exploration. Advance 2 is a highly undarrated game.

Sonic Advance 3 is garbage though (
Even though there are some sick speedruns)

plufim

Played a bit, came out here in Australia 11 hours ago. It's goddam ace.

DO NOT LET ANYONE SPOIL THE CHEMICAL PLANT ZONE ACT 2 BOSS FOR YOU.

This is complete false. Sonic Advance 2 is as Straight Line Zone as Sonic 3K. If you want to get all medals for all the levels, you have your fair share of exploration. Advance 2 is a highly undarrated game.

Sonic Advance 3 is garbage though (
Even though there are some sick speedruns)

Don't really see how it's false? A lot of the general direction / routes for the levels can be described as largely moving in one direction only, even though the levels themselves are multilayered.

As for exploration elements/medals, that also relates to my comment about the Special Stages being handled poorly. You're supposed to search for and collect all 10 medals scattered in the acts to get to the Special Stages, but the levels constantly push the player forward and rarely allow for backtracking. So you end up fighting against the pace of the game's design if you're gunning for the medals/Special Stages.

I will give Advance 2 credit though for having better controls/physics than Advance 3, and even to an extent Advance 1.

It comes out August 16th here :(
Japan is always last when it comes to Sonic releases for some weird reason.

Just be glad it's coming out at all in Japan. Have you tried playing the Taxman Sonic remasters on android in Japan? I have, they don't exist here. Don't know about IOS as I don't have an iphone.

Have you tried getting sonic racing transformed for vita? It was never released here.
Came out on wii u and ps3 in Japan a year after the west.

Steam Japan is missing Sonic Racing Transformed and Generations (probably more too).

I can only assume sonic isn't very important to Sega in terms of the Japanese market.

Top Bottom