• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Mania review thread

RK128

From what I've heard, Sonic Chronicles sucking was mostly due to Bioware focusing on their other projects and putting only a token effort on the game.

Outside of the writing, Chronicles felt like had no love put into it. That is the biggest sin of the game. Chronicles is cheap, lifeless, ugly, and all-around a horrible game. Even the series worst titles like Sonic 06 and Shadow had more HEART put into them than Chronicles.

....That is just sad.

Note the studios I mention in the final portion.

Insomniac: Known for making quality family-friendly titles. Could make a really great Tails-centeric adventure game using his tools across the Sonic series.

Platinum Games: Perfect fit for a Shadow or Knuckles-focused beat em' up. Just imaging Knuckles fighting a massive Death Egg Robot with a rock version of his SA2 theme playing? Pure gold waiting to happen ;).

Inti-Crates: Good fit for a Metroidvanna styled adventure with Eggman. The evil genius using his Egg Pawns and other Badnicks to explore a large location could be quite fun!

I don't think we need a character-action Sonic game.

It's reviewing well! What a day to be alive.

I'd like to mention I saw some Polygon preview gameplay capture and whoever plays it sucks. I mean, they really suck. If it's the same person reviewing it, I can understand the score.

And yet it still got a 7. That's how good the game is.

Berordn

Well shit... this is unexpected.

Only if you haven't been keeping tabs on the developers and the previews! This is very much the outcome that was deserved.

Though even I expected more polygon level reviews where the reviewer doesn't seem to gel with the genre.

RRockman

Banned
I don't think we need a character-action Sonic game.

Knux fighting hordes of badniks sounds great though. Ever since sonic battle I wondered just how strong he was since there he was pitching boulders like softballs. I think he deserves a game that plays to his strengths that's not tied to the chaotix.

MetalSlug

If you make a US account to redeem it, it will work without any issues.

You don't need to play the game on that account, just have it on your system :)

So if he made a US account and redeemed it, then he could play Sonic Mania on his UK account? He would just need to have a US account idle on his system?

LordKano

So if he made a US account and redeemed it, then he could play Sonic Mania on his UK account? He would just need to have a US account idle on his system?

He won't even need the US account anymore after the purchase, he can just delete it. The game will account as downloaded everywhere.
Might as well let it stay though, in case he'll need it on another occasion.

Lettuce

How is this possible!!!

giphy.gif

MetalSlug

He won't even need the US account anymore after the purchase, he can just delete it. The game will account as downloaded everywhere.
Might as well let it stay though, in case he'll need it on another occasion.

Sounds great. Thanks for the information.

I'll now gift him a copy of Sonic Mania :)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ugh want this badly since it's good, but man I've spent so much money on IRL shit I needed to do this month. Was trying to hold off on spending on entertainment this month cause of it. :/

DemoCracy

A masterpiece from golden era of video games. Sonic game is one of my top ten franchises. I hope Sonic Forces succeeds too.

LordofPwn

App Trigger "Longtime Sonic fans will no doubt find some value here, but everyone else is better off playing more modern takes on the genre."

Which modern takes? Has there been a good 3d sonic game in the past decade?

I'll need to pick up mania later this year when I have more time.

It's a game in the style of Sonic 1/CD/2/3&K. Is it that surprising it turned out good?

A lot of people see the words "Sonic" in the title and simply assume it's gonna be dreck because of that, lol.

BTW, you should of said "It's a game in the style of Sonic 1/CD/2/3&K NOT made by Sonic Team/DIMPS and instead by passionate fan creators who have proven their worth in the past and actually know what the fuck they're doing". If this game was being made by those two companies I mentioned I definitely would of been hugely apprehensive about it, but once I saw Christian Whitehead and the likes show up in the original reveal trailer, I literally had no worries about this project.

A lot of people saying "HOLY SMOKES, A NEW GOOD SONIC GAME?" are probably non-fans who never heard of Taxman and Stealth and I guess assumed this was just some Sonic 4 type of thing.

LordKano

App Trigger "Longtime Sonic fans will no doubt find some value here, but everyone else is better off playing more modern takes on the genre."

Which modern takes? Has there been a good 3d sonic game in the past decade?

I'll need to pick up mania later this year when I have more time.

Colors was good.

MrBadger

I hated it. Uninspired, poor level design and bad physics.

I was actually very impressed by some of the level design in Generations. I thought it managed to be a decent game, despite not really playing like the classics like it was supposed to. It's better than anything that's come before or since in recent years, excluding Mania obviously. Colours, Lost World and probably Forces have terrible 2D levels, but Classic Sonic in Gens was alright

Peltz

Just how? Just why?

Any 2D sonic game should be a 60fps lock without breaking a sweat.

I actually may have been mistaken. It may have been 30fps on consoles, but because it's sonic and it moves so fast, it feels like 20.

I agree with you. Actually, really every Sonic game should be 60fps period. The games are all about fluid motion. There's never an instance where having better graphics is a better artistic choice because sonic should be able to quickly run past most things anyway. 60fps should always be the target for this series.

TrueBlue

Tbf, Modern Sonic's stages were better in Generations than those of Classic.

Just makes it more of a shame that we're not getting a focused Modern Sonic experience alongside Mania.

Peltz

Tbf, Modern Sonic's stages were better in Generations than those of Classic.

Just makes it more of a shame that we're not getting a focused Modern Sonic experience alongside Mania.

I haven't been following the other game. Are there 2D stages there too?

MrBadger

I haven't been following the other game. Are there 2D stages there too?

From what we've seen, it's mostly entirely 2D...

So far, we've seen three 2D stages (one classic, two OC), a 2D boss fight and one modern Sonic stage that starts off 3D, then turns into a 2D stage halfway through.

Nintendo take note. Hire the dude who made AM2R to make a new 2D metroid game.

Nah, that guy's landed a job and Nintendo have their own 2D Metroid on the way

Nintendo take note. Hire the dude who made AM2R to make a new 2D metroid game.

For one thing, DoctorM64 just got hired at Moon Studios, the people behind the Ori games.

Secondly, they don't really need to. Samus Returns is looking pretty good outside of the amiibo nonsense, so I don't think Nintendo and Sakamoto have completely lost the plot with 2D Metroid like how Sega and Sonic Team have with Sonic

Berordn

From what we've seen, it's mostly entirely 2D...

So far, we've seen three 2D stages (one classic, two OC), a 2D boss fight and one modern Sonic stage that starts off 3D, then turns into a 2D stage halfway through.

Both avatar stages do have 3D(ish) segments - the Green Hill looking one ends with a chase sequence, and we've seen Park Avenue has lengthy 3D portions. Switching between 2D and 3D is fairly standard for Modern Sonic at least.

ss_lemonade

How's the Switch port? 1080p60 docked I hope?

Just how? Just why?

Any 2D sonic game should be a 60fps lock without breaking a sweat.

Generations is a 3d game, with 2d platform elements. It was probably too taxing for the consoles. PC port is great though, I think it even supports > 60fps for high refresh rate monitors.

Top Bottom