• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II |OT| Let's Go, Friend of Friends!

Will someone do a Oil Ocean Act2 remix using Bergus Meredith's Penguin from the 60's Batman please?
Oh damn, what have you done?! wont be able to unhear this, though the stage theme wasn't anything that good in the first place so maybe you've made it better.
Anyway I support this plan.

Lijik

game looks fine.

But how does it feel?

Jumping doesn't make me want to vomit all over my Saturn pad, so thats a step up from Episode 1.
Rolling still feels super gross. In fact, the rest of the game feels decent enough that the totally borked rolling stands out even more to me in this game than it did in Episode 1.

I don't fucking understand, Generations 3DS felt really fucking good. Its not even a case of "Look at the genesis games!" anymore, its now "Look at what you did last fucking year omfg what is wrong with you"

DeVeAn

Jumping doesn't make me want to vomit all over my Saturn pad, so thats a step up from Episode 1.
Rolling still feels super gross. In fact, the rest of the game feels decent enough that the totally borked rolling stands out even more to me in this game than it did in Episode 1.

I don't fucking understand, Generations 3DS felt really fucking good. Its not even a case of "Look at the genesis games!" anymore, its now "Look at what you did last fucking year omfg what is wrong with you"

I have to agree here. Its like spindashing is useless. Also I can't believe the absence of graphic options for the PC version. Come on its 2012.

ShadiWulf

It's up on PSN, heres my impressions

Really fun game =) I personally like the physics better then the classic physics in Generations, they feel more natural, it did take a while to get used to them though.

I do hate Episode metal, though, so frustrating lol, good thing its not required to play.

It's a really pretty game. Especially the snow levels.

I still cant see how after Colors and Generations, Episode 2 still has a mediocre soundtrack...Jun should just stop trying to mimic 16 bit music and just go with what he knows. It's not like the tracks he's done for modern Sonic games were bad...so he should really just give up attempting classic tunes.

Either that or just take him off the project and let Fumie Kumatani, Mariko Nanba, Tomoya Ohtani, or any of the Colors crew have a shot. Everything they've been involved in has been catchy and cool.

Also Sonic really needs to hit a higher speed with a fully powered spindash.

I agree, the psuedo-16-bit music just isn't working for him. It may be dangerous to say in some parts of the internet.... but I really enjoyed Jun's work on SA1 and SA2, and pretty much enjoyed both OSTs in their entirety.

Colors had a great soundtrack, Sweet Mountain and Planet Wisp in particular, but it doesn't touch the Adventure games for me.

Zen

Banned
Does this game run like ass on PC for anyone else?

I have a ton of Ram and a GTX560 with an I7 and it won't even hit 30fps at 620x480.

Liamario

Banned
It's definitely an improvement over episode one, but the rolling physics are still not quite right. The amount of stages is possibly a little scabby.

iavi

Gave the demo a spin (ohoohoho); definitely handles better than ep 1; it looks better too. Though, what kind of demo only lasts 30 seconds? Don't even give me that shit.

Koralsky

Gave the demo a spin (ohoohoho); definitely handles better than ep 1; it looks better too. Though, what kind of demo only lasts 30 seconds? Don't even give me that shit.

I don't know - I try the demo a couple of times and every the try time-limit was different.

The longest one was almost two minutes.

I am happy with what I see and will buy the game next month.

Why can't dimps remove the speed lock when you run down a hill? ffs why!?

It's like sonic 1 physics where if you keep forward held sonic is capped at his running speed, sonic 2 onwards that was fixed and even in sonic adventure and other 3d games he will run faster down slopes, roll faster too! yet in sonic 4 he seems to just go at a steady pace and never lightning fast no matter how many over-used and abused booster pads you hit in a row.

Stupid fucking dimps.

Does this game run like ass on PC for anyone else?

I have a ton of Ram and a GTX560 with an I7 and it won't even hit 30fps at 620x480.

updated drivers? since sonic 4 uses some god ray graphical stuff and bloom it might be chugging due to that.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, wanted to check in and see if the demo cut off for anyone else. That's really weird!

It handles better than Episode 1, that's for sure. I might need to play it a little more to see if I'll buy it now or later, but I'll at least consider buying it when it goes on sale or something. It looks nice; well, Winter Park looks nice.

I kind of felt like I was on autopilot for some of it, though.

Diablohead said:
Why can't dimps remove the speed lock when you run down a hill? ffs why!?
It bugs me a lot as well. It makes little sense since you're on a slope and your speed should be increasing!

Perfect Cha0s said:
I agree, the psuedo-16-bit music just isn't working for him. It may be dangerous to say in some parts of the internet.... but I really enjoyed Jun's work on SA1 and SA2, and pretty much enjoyed both OSTs in their entirety.
Nah, many in the Sonic Community thread share your sentiments in general (ie: liking the SA OSTs).

Senoue just needs far better synth samples. Like, the stuff by Tokoi and Ohtani for Game Land in Sonic Colours sound fine because: a) they're good compositions already, and b) the samples they used are absolutely fine.

Senoue has some fine compositions already in the Sonic 4 games, but he decides to use this awful, awful synth which doesn't do any favours for the composition at all.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, this. The inconsistency between Episode 2 and Generations 3DS is a bit baffling.

The rolling feels a little weird because the rest of the demo feels pretty decent. Jumping and homing attack feel fine. Rolling and going down slopes feel weird. Er. Still not appreciative of the string of enemy badniks to home attack to in order to reach somewhere else, but the rest of it feels more competent than Episode 1.

iavi

Yeah, wanted to check in and see if the demo cut off for anyone else. That's really weird!

It handles better than Episode 1, that's for sure. I might need to play it a little more to see if I'll buy it now or later, but I'll at least consider buying it when it goes on sale or something. It looks nice; well, Winter Park looks nice.

I kind of felt like I was on autopilot for some of it, though.

Yeah, I felt like that at times too. Between it not blowing me away, and the PC port being shoddy anyway, I'm going to wait for a steam sale, personally. Tons of other things to play atm.

Lijik

Yeah, this. The inconsistency between Episode 2 and Generations 3DS is a bit baffling.

The rolling feels a little weird because the rest of the demo feels pretty decent. Jumping and homing attack feel fine. Rolling and going down slopes feel weird. Er. Still not appreciative of the string of enemy badniks to home attack to in order to reach somewhere else, but the rest of it feels more competent than Episode 1.

Yeah the rest of the controls are actually decent feeling. Its just the rolling thats super garbage.

I think some of the level design is lazier than Episode 1 but other than that its generally an improvement

ezodagrom

Looks like it's possible to force anti-aliasing for Nvidia graphics cards in the PC version of Episode 2 afterall. I don't have an Nvidia graphics card myself, so I can't test this, but someone in the Guru3D forums mentioned that this works for Sonic 4 Episode 2.

First thing, the tool Nvidia Inspector is needed:
http://download.orbmu2k.de/download.php?id=51

When you open Nvidia inspector, next to the driver version tab, there's a little icon with the screwdriver and a wrench, click on it.
After that, follow the steps in the picture:

nvidiasonic4aa.jpg

1: Select the game executable, it should be located in steam\steamapps\common\sonic the hedgehog 4 - ep 2, and then it's the file Sonic.exe.
2: Write 0x000012C1 in the Antialiasing compatibility option.
3: Set the Behaviour Flags to None.
4: Change the Antialiasing mode to Override.
5: Pick the Antialiasing setting you want (I don't have an nvidia graphics card, so no idea what options it has).
6: Click in Apply Changes.

qq more

Tried the demo on psn. Physics are a lot better but the level design is still questionable. Dimps, no more spring abuse. Please.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah the rest of the controls are actually decent feeling. Its just the rolling thats super garbage.

I think some of the level design is lazier than Episode 1 but other than that its generally an improvement
I've only played Winter Park Act 1, so I can't really say much about the level design, but what I saw of that level wasn't very impressive. I get that they wanted to show the rolling combo since that was the newest thing, but you didn't really have to use it much outside of one part.

Fix the rolling and slope descending, and the neverending spring playgrounds/loop-de-loops, and maybe everything might be pretty good in the next episode.

Yeah, I felt like that at times too. Between it not blowing me away, and the PC port being shoddy anyway, I'm going to wait for a steam sale, personally. Tons of other things to play atm.
Played it a few more times and really did feel like I was on auto a lot.

I dunno. I might bite the bullet on it and see if I can talk about the Episode Metal stuff. I'm not really blown out of the water with this one, but at least it feels like an improvement. It's just too bad that Sonic Generations 3DS felt better, and that was by the same dev.

Eh, knowing me, I'll probably go out and get a PSN card just to buy it tomorrow.

DeVeAn

Looks like it's possible to force anti-aliasing for Nvidia graphics cards in the PC version of Episode 2 afterall. I don't have an Nvidia graphics card myself, so I can't test this, but someone in the Guru3D forums mentioned that this works for Sonic 4 Episode 2.

First thing, the tool Nvidia Inspector is needed:
http://download.orbmu2k.de/download.php?id=51

When you open Nvidia inspector, next to the driver version tab, there's a little icon with the screwdriver and a wrench, click on it.
After that, follow the steps in the picture:

nvidiasonic4aa.jpg

1: Select the game executable, it should be located in steam\steamapps\common\sonic the hedgehog 4 - ep 2, and then it's the file Sonic.exe.
2: Write 0x000012C1 in the Antialiasing compatibility option.
3: Set the Behaviour Flags to None.
4: Change the Antialiasing mode to Override.
5: Pick the Antialiasing setting you want (I don't have an nvidia graphics card, so no idea what options it has).
6: Click in Apply Changes.
NM. Turns out Just had to pick the right option.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Alright, I've slapped 1,200 Microsoft points' worth of Bing points into my account. Let's do this thing.

(Protip: The Bing search bar makes gaming on XBLA soooo much cheaper.)

Bought it on live about 30 mins ago for my brother mostly, played the first act and I have to say it does feel A lot better to actually play compared to ep1, also they removed the instant spindash button? I am so happy about that now you have to actually stop to rev.

Going to sit down and play through it now myself.

Also comes out on iOS tonight, I want to try it out but not straight away at full price now that I have it on the xbox.

Alright, I've slapped 1,200 Microsoft points' worth of Bing points into my account. Let's do this thing.

(Protip: The Bing search bar makes gaming on XBLA soooo much cheaper.)

only for US though, never worked for me in the UK even with proxys.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, I thought Generations 3DS felt like shit. It was an ugly, strange playing game that wasn't even remotely close to matching the console game. I enjoyed Sonic 4 Episode 1 a hell of a lot more than Generations 3DS, if you can believe that.

Kokonoe

Banned
After purchasing this game and making it the Oil Desert Boss, I can easily say I don't really like this game. I also went back and played Episode I, and knocked down my original rating of 8.0 to 7.0.

I haven't beaten Episode II just yet, but is quite boring to be blunt. I think I'd honestly have rehashed bosses over the current selection in this game.

dark10x

After purchasing this game and making it the Oil Desert Boss, I can easily say I don't really like this game. I also went back and played Episode I, and knocked down my original rating of 8.0 to 7.0.

I haven't beaten Episode II just yet, but is quite boring to be blunt. I think I'd honestly have rehashed bosses over the current selection in this game.
Are you complaints aimed at the bosses or the game as a whole? The bosses have never been a draw for me so that isn't a concern.

Kokonoe

Banned
Are you complaints aimed at the bosses or the game as a whole? The bosses have never been a draw for me so that isn't a concern.

The bosses are a good portion of it, but it's the game as a whole as well. The level design downgraded from the previous game in my opinion.

It's more or less having to use Tails at random times the game deems fit, but it doesn't really add any more depth to the gameplay. Half the time you're running into bumpers and boosters, while having to deal with random areas like this.

UsG8n.jpg

The Special Stage in this game is probably the worst I've witnessed in a Sonic game, and I actually avoid going into the Giant Rings due to the lack of entertainment I experience with it.
It's Sonic 2's special stage, but except less smooth and Sonic gets up in the air slowly while jumping in this stage, so getting hit with bombs happens a lot due to how fast you're running.

It's not like in Sonic 2 where you instantly hop into the air, there's this slight window you have to wait for which more or less will cost you rings.

dark10x

The bosses are a good portion of it, but it's the game as a whole as well. The level design downgraded from the previous game in my opinion.

It's more or less having to use Tails at random times the game deems fit, but it doesn't really add any more depth to the gameplay. Half the time you're running into bumpers and boosters, while having to deal with random areas like this.

The Special Stage in this game is probably the worst I've witnessed in a Sonic game, and I actually avoid going into the Giant Rings due to the lack of entertainment I experience with it.
It's Sonic 2's special stage, but except less smooth and Sonic gets up in the air slowly while jumping in this stage, so getting hit with bombs happens a lot due to how fast you're running.

It's not like in Sonic 2 where you instantly hop into the air, there's this slight window you have to wait for which more or less will cost you rings.
It has to be better than that god awful rotating level from Sonic 4 Ep 1. Fuck did I hate that.

Don't care what anyone says. I have much love for this game. I enjoyed Sonic 4 also, but this game feels better. I do wish the spin dash was faster than sonic/tails/metal's running speeds...

I also liked Episode Metal... but it was too wayyy too short <_<...

Picked this up on Steam!

As a hater of sonic 4 ep1, this episode was actually rather good but with flaws, grabbed 5 of the 7 emeralds on my first run and only died a few times to being crushed or hit while flying then falling into a pit, level design feels alright and I used the special team moves less then I thought I would.

1200 might be a little steep but I am happy with the game right now, will play it more after I go spend all my afternoon and evening at work :(

The speed that you roll in a team ball should be what speeds you get rolling down hills normally.

Also way too many boosters and springs thrown in front of you, half of the game I think I just held right and the game took over.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'd love to see this on Vita, we all know the Vita could probably handle it... Vita is in desperate need of some games.
I won't deny that I would probably play this on Vita out of convenience.

Purchased a PSN card so I could see what Episode Metal's like. If Shadi's not liking it, I'm not sure I would. :lol

Oh boy oh boy I can hardly wait.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I don't get why there is so much lag in multiplayer. Button presses are delayed for both players so even simple jumping is annoying.

some more reviews

GamesRadar 5/10 http://www.gamesradar.com/sonic-hedgehog-4-episode-ii-review/

Even if you loved Episode I, it might be hard to stomach Episode II’s constant stumbles and shortcomings. When instructed to collect every Chaos Emerald after the final cutscene, all we could think was “no thanks.” No, Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II isn’t an atrocious game, but poorly implemented mechanics and questionable design decisions consistently hobble its attempts to deliver the exhilarating speed that we’ve come to expect from the series. Given the more stout options that have recently graced consoles – Sonic Generations and the downloadable redux of Sonic CD come to mind – there’s little reason for most gamers to bother with this game.

You'll love

Sonic and Tails demonstrate some new moves
Certain stages are a blast
Makes you want to revisit old Sonic games

You'll hate

The soundtrack had us hating our lives
Falling to your death because Tails got tired
The final Robotnik fight is straight-up painful

EGM 6.5/10 http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-ii/

SUMMARY: The controls took a surprising step back and there were too many puzzles that required Tails’ assistance for my liking. If you can get past these though, there is a solid Sonic adventure here at its core that’s worth taking a look at for long-time fans.

THE GOOD: Classic Sonic style action in bright and colorful new locales
THE BAD: Tails-centric obstacles and puzzles
THE UGLY: A.I. Tails still constantly getting killed just like in Sonic 2

Joystiq 3/5 http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/16/sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-2-review/

In the end, it feels like Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 is merely going through the motions (most of which involve spinning). As was intended, it's reminiscent of Sonic's best-remembered adventures, though it never manages to live up to them. Episode 2 makes improvements over its predecessor, with better visuals, useful co-op maneuvers and great special stages, but the inconsistent boss battles and uninspired level design keep it from recapturing Sonic's glory days.

That quip about the controls being worse raised my eyebrow. I decided to investigate a little further:
EGMNow said:
Another down point is that even though the controls have been tweaked and it is nice that Sonic feels a lot smoother than in Episode I, with the Tails team-up maneuvers, it feels like you’re fighting your joystick a lot of the time when flying or rolling in the double-spin. Just another aspect of the game that is taken down a notch due to Tails’ overbearing presence.
This was the only instance of "controls" in the review, other than that note in the summary. So because Tails apparently controls awfully, the entire game controls worse than one where you drop like a rock if you aren't constantly holding forward, contrary to every platformer with some semblance of momentum in existence. Riiiight...

Yeah these reviews are confusing me. EpII is a factual step forward in almost every aspect if even just slightly. Except the music.

Uhg, this is just like when Unleashed was scoring LOWER than 06, (with the Wii version being ranking higher than the HD version!?). No matter how much you disliked Werehog and friends, Unleashed was at least a functionally finished product.

Meh.

SykoTech

Gave the demo a whirl. The snow level certainly looked nice. But the Homing Dash annoys me, rolling still doesn't feel right, and it still seems that Bubbles chains that you can hardly see coming is still an issue. Level design seemed better, but not something I'm going to drop $15 on. I'll save that money for Virtua Fighter 5.

At this rate, the only way I see myself buying Sonic 4 is if they release some Complete version later on.

Shiloa

Well from what little my gf (the Sonic fan) played, she seemed to like it. Though she found the first boss to be frustrating.

The music is shit though.

Top Bottom