• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode II |OT| Let's Go, Friend of Friends!

Metro 6/10 http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/899221-sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-ii-review-tails-from-the-crypt

In Short: It gets most of the mechanics right, and it certainly looks like Sonic, but this new episode doesn't have the heart or the imagination of the originals.

Pros: The controls are a clear improvement over Episode I and there are some occasionally impressive set pieces. Episode Metal is a great bonus.

Cons: Bland level design and overfamiliar themes that are all far less interesting than the real Sonic 2. Weak bosses and terrible music. Tails is as annoying as ever.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That Metro review seems more in-line with what I think after playing the demo quite a few times.

I should really purchase the game to have a better, and more informed, view of it, though. I don't think a lot of people are getting this, so... Just know that the controls and a lot of other stuff outside of the music, Bubble chains, rolling and descending down slopes are improved over Episode 1's.

You'll hate

The soundtrack had us hating our lives
Haha.

shaowebb

Wait a second...theres no wii version in the OP listed for a release date. Did they cancel sequels on Wii or something?

Kokonoe

Banned
That Metro review seems more in-line with what I think after playing the demo quite a few times.

I should really purchase the game to have a better, and more informed, view of it, though. I don't think a lot of people are getting this, so... Just know that the controls and a lot of other stuff outside of the music, Bubble chains, rolling and descending down slopes are improved over Episode 1's.

I've seen bubble chains brought up before, but I didn't pay attention to the conversation. What's this about bubble chains? and what is the issue?

qq more

Am I the only one that kind of like Ep 2's music? Granted the instruments could be better but its wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than that shit from Ep 1.

Although, I don't understand WHY they use that boss pinch song from Ep 1 as the actual boss theme. AWFUL.

Kokonoe

Banned
Am I the only one that kind of like Ep 2's music? Granted the instruments could be better but its wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better than that shit from Ep 1.

Although, I don't understand WHY they use that boss pinch song from Ep 1 as the actual boss theme. AWFUL.

I actually like the Oil Desert song, although I don't think it matches the level.

qq more

I've seen bubble chains brought up before, but I didn't pay attention to the conversation. What's this about bubble chains? and what is the issue?

They're seriously lame and add nothing to the game. They just took the Bubble badnik from Marble Garden Zone and make them do literally nothing. They don't even try to do anything interesting with them. Fuckin' Dimps :(

Yeah, no Wii version this time. Which is odd, since I thought the Wii version of Ep. 1 was the best selling?
A combination of a few things.

1) The art is no longer pre-rendered but is instead fully polygonal. I have no idea if it's within the Wii's capabilities to still render it - it might be, it might not.
2) I do know, however, that all those extra assets mean it's very likely to skyrocket past WiiWare's draconian 40MB limit, which is a showstopper if nothing else would be.

Okay, in Sonic 3, exclusive to the Marble Garden Zone, there were these enemies known as "Bubbles". Blue spherical things, floated around in little diamond-shaped paths. Periodically pushed out spikes that meant it'd hurt you to touch them, so you had to wait until they retracted before hopping right into them. They were kind of cool.

In Sonic 4, this enemy has returned... but he floats in one spot, perfectly stationary, and never pushes out his spikes (unless it's a new red variant, for some reason). Its only reason for existence is to allow for homing attack chains to, presumably, open up paths (but occasionally just to pad out the main path with something really dull), and it is for this purpose that these enemies are used in pretty much every level.

It's a cheap way to try and justify the existence of the homing attack in a 2D game, because it was a solution to a problem that the third dimension introduced (accurately jumping on enemies can be hard), and not one that ever existed in the 2D realm (where landing on enemies is much simpler). The end result was about as lazy as it sounds.

Kokonoe

Banned
The music is motivating me to finish the game. Guess I'll do just that.

A combination of a few things.

1) The art is no longer pre-rendered but is instead fully polygonal. I have no idea if it's within the Wii's capabilities to still render it - it might be, it might not.
2) I do know, however, that all those extra assets mean it's very likely to skyrocket past WiiWare's draconian 40MB limit, which is a showstopper if nothing else would be.

Okay, in Sonic 3, exclusive to the Marble Garden Zone, there were these enemies known as "Bubbles". Blue spherical things, floated around in little diamond-shaped paths. Periodically pushed out spikes that meant it'd hurt you to touch them, so you had to wait until they retracted before hopping right into them. They were kind of cool.

In Sonic 4, this enemy has returned... but he floats in one spot, perfectly stationary, and never pushes out his spikes (unless it's a new red variant, for some reason). Its only reason for existence is to allow for homing attack chains to, presumably, open up paths (but occasionally just to pad out the main path with something really dull), and it is for this purpose that these enemies are used in pretty much every level.

It's a cheap way to try and justify the existence of the homing attack in a 2D game, because it was a solution to a problem that the third dimension introduced (accurately jumping on enemies can be hard), and not one that ever existed in the 2D realm (where landing on enemies is much simpler). The end result was about as lazy as it sounds.

I literally thought people were talking about the bubbles in the water. I understand this issue completely, and I agree with what you're saying.

qq more

lol I used to referred to them as enemy bridges but then people thought I was talking about a literal enemy bridge or something...

Going to give the demo a spin. Hopefully it makes a leaves a decent impression.

Sky Fortress Act 3 has been stuck in my head for a while. That's more than I could say for anything in Episode I.

Going to give the demo a spin. Hopefully it makes a leaves a decent impression.

Sky Fortress Act 3 has been stuck in my head for a while. That's more than I could say for anything in Episode I.

I really like some specific tracks from this game. The only track I can see being terrible is the Oil Desert one. The rest are just unmemorable, but not bad. <3 Sky Fortress Act 2 and 3.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Well, some acts so far can be pretty decent in some places. But then you have a lot of places in other Acts where it's just boosters and springs thrown at you in succession. There are bits that are lazier than Episode 1's.

The special stages are certainly reminiscent of Sonic 2's (for obvious reasons), but Sonic 2's music was catchier. But for some reason they seem a little more... boring? And Sonic jumping feels slower than it did in Sonic 2, so I imagine that in the future I may not be able to avoid bombs or those things that shock you.

Sonic's speed being capped when he's going down slopes and the rolling is kind of starting to bug me a little. The speed at which you roll when you're in the rolling duo technique should be the speed you're going at when you're rolling down slopes with Sonic himself.

Still feels like it's on autopilot at times.

Shadow Hog said:
Yep. That's exactly how I feel about the bubble chains. Exactly.

MarkusRJR

What are the chances that this will be on the Wii U? I have the first episode (along with all the VC Sonic games) on my Wii and I'd hate to have to have this single game missing.

Boogiepop

How do this (and episode 1 for that matter) hold up when compared to, say, the Rush games? I only seem to see them held up to the classics or on the ball new games like Generations, but never the Rush games, which I found enjoyable enough.

Lijik

How do this (and episode 1 for that matter) hold up when compared to, say, the Rush games? I only seem to see them held up to the classics or on the ball new games like Generations, but never the Rush games, which I found enjoyable enough.
The rush games are way better.
Sonic 4 wants to be both the genesis and the rush games throughout its level design and does neither particularly well.

Yeah, no Wii version this time. Which is odd, since I thought the Wii version of Ep. 1 was the best selling?

Surprisingly, Sega just recently said the PS3 version was the top seller, which is contrary to everything we heard prior. Kind of wondering about the validity of that statement.

Yeah these reviews are confusing me. EpII is a factual step forward in almost every aspect if even just slightly. Except the music.

I kind of expected this to happen, I picked the shrugging Sonic picture for the reviews header on purpose.

Way too many reviewers slobbered over Sega when Episode I came out, deeming it a classic 2D Sonic game that was super-fun with almost no flaws, bla bla bla. And even if some gamers liked Episode I, even they know that statement's not completely true. So now, we're at the next step of the Reviewer Cycle, where they blow up any flaw to pretend a significantly improved sequel is somehow worse, and that Sega is losing its way. I have a feeling Sega could've turned in a significantly worse Episode II, and gotten about the same review scores.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Do the music tracks have short loops? I kind of feel like they're rather repetitive. Does it get better by the last zone?

What are the chances that this will be on the Wii U? I have the first episode (along with all the VC Sonic games) on my Wii and I'd hate to have to have this single game missing.
Perhaps waiting until E3 to see what's up might be a good idea. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't put this on WiiU. It probably wouldn't be fair to people who bought it for WiiWare, plus Sonic sells on Nintendo systems anyway.

Lijik

Yeah these reviews are confusing me. EpII is a factual step forward in almost every aspect if even just slightly. Except the music.

They're only confusing because everyone vastly overrated Episode 1. Now the reviews are actually in line with what the game is.

Its not at all like the Unleashed scenario in which a mildly decent game got 4s and 5s. This is a fairly middling game getting fairly middling reviews.

Davey Cakes

I played the demo of this. It still felt very odd to control, and not much better than Ep1.

Something about these games seems unnatural. The look, the controls, the style. I'm not the biggest fan of the Advance games but even they seemed more proper than this. Same for the Rush games. It's like Sega want to do something specific with Sonic 4 while putting too many incompatible elements together. As soon as you pick it up, it just feels "off" and it's hard to explain why.

Anyway, as was the case with Ep1, I won't be buying Ep2. Hell, I still have Colors to finish.

So, has anybody (Retro or whomever) figured out of we're missing something about the ending? It really seems like something's missing, especially when you don't exactly see the Little Planet freed, and the boss being labeled "The Beginning of the End."

It seems really weird to me that they did this big thing about involving the Little Planet, but nothing about time travel whatsoever. I had secretly hoped that was the reason why they stuck with such a small level count again.

shaowebb

So wait...they sold me an episodic game on the wii that PROMISED I'd get a sequel that I will never get?! What kind of deal is that. If I buy Episode 2 now I get no episode Metal to see what its like even though I did support episode 1 on the Wii. This isn't the biggest end all be all game for me, but this is more than a bit of a middle finger to me as it would force me to buy episode 1 again alongside episode 2 to get the full experience.

How can I support a sequel thats requiring me to repurchase something I already bought? If you're going to release an episodic series of games with connectivity STAY CONSISTENT IN PLATFORMS.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Grrrr... fuck you, Tails! :mad:

Kulock said:
So, has anybody (Retro or whomever) figured out of we're missing something about the ending? It really seems like something's missing, especially when you don't exactly see the Little Planet freed, and the boss being labeled "The Beginning of the End."
Would've expected someone from Retro to have figured it out already. If there's really nothing, they must be gearing up for an Episode 3, then.

Does Episode Metal expand on anything, or is it just an extra?

So wait...they sold me an episodic game on the wii that PROMISED I'd get a sequel that I will never get?! What kind of deal is that. If I buy Episode 2 now I get no episode Metal to see what its like even though I did support episode 1 on the Wii. This isn't the biggest end all be all game for me, but this is more than a bit of a middle finger to me as it would force me to buy episode 1 again alongside episode 2 to get the full experience.

How can I support a sequel thats requiring me to repurchase something I already bought? If you're going to release an episodic series of games with connectivity STAY CONSISTENT IN PLATFORMS.

They can't help it. By now Nintendo should've relaxed their immensely stupid 40 MB limit on WiiWare games, but they haven't. They've completely given up on supporting or improving WiiWare, focused on the Wii U instead.

Don't get too freaked out, it doesn't seem impossible that there'll be a Wii U Ware port, which might be able to track the data from your Wii version, or just assume you have it.

And to be blunt, you're really not missing much if you don't have Episode Metal. He doesn't have any special moves different from Sonic, his level layouts and physics are only slightly different, he only plays through four acts and just sees a few cinemas you could watch on Youtube. I know you want the whole package, but you're not missing a ton. And if you buy it on PC, I think you can just get a copy of an Episode I save file and stick it in the right place, and that'll be enough to unlock Episode Metal?

Would've expected someone from Retro to have figured it out already. If there's really nothing, they must be gearing up for an Episode 3, then.

Does Episode Metal expand on anything, or is it just an extra?

Yeah, I looked, nothing. Saw something interesting from Guess Who, that the data between the beta is identical save for the executable, the shader stuff, and the launcher. All of the level data, music, textures, and everything was identical to the version that leaked.

Episode Metal's just an extra. Like you see Metal Sonic laying down at Stardust Speedway. Eggman monitor zaps him and says "go here", and he limps off through space back to the main planet. Eggman fixes him up at Mad Gear, he goes to Lost Labyrinth and
absorbs some ancient power orb, explaining his purple-charged abilities. then he goes to Splash Hill, sees an opened Egg Prison with some animals happily hopping about. Sonic and Tails fly off on the Tornado in the distance, so Metal has a purple energy rage-out, spooking the animals, then grabs the rocket from Episode I and blasts off with it, chasing after them.

This links up to the start of the boss act in White Park in Episode II, where Metal rides in on Tails' rocket before jumping off to fight you.

Metal doesn't get any emeralds, any Red Rings to collect, basically he gets four slightly changed acts to booster through and a few cinemas.

So do we know why Eggman built Mad Gear yet or what he was searching for in Lost Labyrinth zone? all this suspense is killing me, this sequel exists to answer these pressing questions.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
At the Oil area?
Mmhmm... :/

ugh.

Yeah, I looked, nothing. Saw something interesting from Guess Who, that the data between the beta is identical save for the executable, the shader stuff, and the launcher. All of the level data, music, textures, and everything was identical to the version that leaked.

Episode Metal's just an extra. Like you see Metal Sonic laying down a Stardust Speedway. Eggman monitor zaps him and says "go here", and he limps off through space back to the main planet. Eggman fixes him up, he goes to Lost Labyrinth and
absorbs some ancient power orb, explaining his purple-charged abilities. then he goes to Splash Hill, sees an opened Egg Prison with some animals happily hopping about. Sonic and Tails fly off on the Tornado in the distance, so Metal has a purple energy rage-out, spooking the animals, then grabs the rocket from Episode I and blasts off with it, chasing after them.

This links up to the start of the boss act in White Park in Episode II, where Metal rides in on Tails' rocket before jumping off to fight you.

Metal doesn't get any emeralds, any Red Rings to collect, basically he gets four slightly changed acts to booster through and a few cinemas.
LOL, so basically outside of a few presentation things and the executable, the beta's the same as the regular games itself. Wow.

I figured that since they made a bit of a deal about Metal Sonic in Episode 1 that it would be more substantial, but perhaps it was unwise of me to expect something like the caliber of Knuckles in Sonic 2 or something.

Kokonoe

Banned
At the Sky Fortress Act 1, I kept losing my lock on at that one checkpoint and died 4 times as well. Almost feels like a beta.

Mmhmm... :/

ugh.

At the part with the fire enemies, he kept dropping me the second I hit the last platform. So many lives lost.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Amazing.
KuGsj.gif

At the part with the fire enemies, he kept dropping me the second I hit the last platform. So many lives lost.
Aw, don't get me started. I had 16 lives going in.

I lost 7 because Tails sucks at his job.

Not sure why you're all having so much trouble with Tails. Basically he gets a limited number of "lifts", make sure you don't hammer the button to use each one fully. You can jump off of him using the partner button (X on 360) which can sometimes get you a little extra distance. It helps to jump as far as you can out before you start the combo, as well.

The only thing you have to watch out for is that if Sonic's feet touch ground, Tails will let go, even if it's not very stable. So it helps to give curved ground a bit of a wide berth if you're trying to fly up over it, then jump over to it using the partner button.

Why is this part even a thing?

You use the Rolling Combo to go under it quickly. In a way, it also shows you how to get the Red Ring at the start of Act 2.

Lijik

Just played Episode Metal. I like how Dimps' idea of making the Sonic 4 stages "harder" is to be liberal with tossing enemies and spikes all over the goddamn place.

So do we know why Eggman built Mad Gear yet or what he was searching for in Lost Labyrinth zone? all this suspense is killing me, this sequel exists to answer these pressing questions.

The answers are only in Episode Metal not Episode II.
Get ready for the most intense reveals in the world. These are so crucial yet shocking to Sonic Canon I'll hide them behind separate spoilers:

Mad Gear:
Eggman Built Mad Gear to power up Metal Sonic

Lost Labyrinth:
Eggman was searching in Lost Labyrinth for some purple altar gem thing to further power up Metal Sonic

What it all means:
Eggman is doing all this to kill Sonic

Kokonoe

Banned
Not sure why you're all having so much trouble with Tails. Basically he gets a limited number of "lifts", make sure you don't hammer the button to use each one fully. You can jump off of him using the partner button (X on 360) which can sometimes get you a little extra distance. It helps to jump as far as you can out before you start the combo, as well.

I didn't have a issue with my own abilities with Tails, my issue was that I would instantly drop like a dead rock the second I hit that certain platform in Oil Act 1. I tested it in other areas, and it doesn't happen. I always land on the platform.

ezodagrom

Ken Balough (Sonic 4 Brand Manager) confirmed that the PS3 version of Episode 1 is the one that sold the most, followed by the XBox 360, and then the Wii.

There's no Wii version because of the WiiWare file size limits, WiiWare games can only be around 40~50MB or so, which is a ridiculously small limit.

I agree completely, I also kind of like Ep2 music (with the exception of the Ep1 boss music).

So, uh, how do I unlock Episode Metal? I have both Ep. I and II on PS3, but no Ep. Metal in sight yet.
After you have unlocked the level select/world map (which is unlocked after the first act of the game), you have to exit the game and enter it again for Episode Metal to be unlocked.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
At the time I made this post, I didn't realize you could hit the X button before this and get by. I literally light tap hopped the whole thing.
In my defense, that's how much I wasn't using the team moves.
You can use the team moves to get by those? Huh. I was light-tapping too.

Edit: Aha, thanks Kulock. It'll do that when I replay it.

Kulock said:
I'm not really having issues with Tails during other parts, though. It's just that one bit where I drop almost instantly for little reason.

Edit: Seems like Kokonoe and I are having the same issue.

so, how's the game overall everyone? Another mediocre entry? :(
Pretty mediocre. I'm not finished yet (and I need to get some work done, so I'll get that done and finish this off tonight), but that's how I feel about it right now.

It's better than Episode 1, but not by much... and the level design feels a little lazier in some parts (ie: sometimes it feels automated, bubble bridges, springs and boosters everywhere, etc). It feels better than Episode 1 outside of rolling and slope descent. But I would probably wait until it goes on sale or something.

Top Bottom