• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

KevinCow

Banned
HUELEN10 said:
So currently, I have one major question about this game. Where does it take place in the series' chronology (laugh all you want, but it honestly piques my curiosity just a bit.)? We know it happens following the destruction of the Death Egg on Angel Island with Sonic taking a break and exploring new territories, but how long since that event is the question at hand...

I always thought it safe to assume that part of the chronology happens in this order.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles then Sonic Advance then Sonic Advance 2 then Sonic Adventure (DX)

Based on that, where do you think this will fall? Spoilerbox below has explanations on this order.

Why this order? Well, after Sonic 3 & Knuckles we see that Sonic Advance has very close plot to the genny games, as well as similar badniks as well. In Sonic Advance 2, we meet cream and see that some of these enemies have become slightly more modern as well. We also meet one of, if not the first robot of Eggman's new E-Series, the E-100 Alpha aka ZERO. In Sonic Adventure DX, a mostly unaltered port, we see even more advances in Eggman's robots, as well as the rest of the E-Series. In the DX port, we also see Cream. BTW, this is very abridged version on this possible timeline. I've been debating it with others for quite some time, not that it matters at all. (Don't get me STARTED on the Mario timeline though...)

It's utterly frightening to me that this post probably doesn't contain a shred of irony.

You continue to outdo yourself, Huelen.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
KevinCow said:
It's utterly frightening to me that this post probably doesn't contain a shred of irony.

You continue to outdo yourself, Huelen.
Huelen is pretty intense. Whether that's a good or a bad thing is for you to decide.
Firestorm said:
No, he doesn't. Look at that picture and then look at any Sonic picture since 1999. His pupils are black while the iris is green. That picture is just really bad Photoshop work by Sega or by Huelen.

Edit: haha it's actual official box art for Sonic Gems Collection
oh sega you can't even keep your crappy new branding consistent
Oh, I didn't notice that detail.

Alphahawk said:
I just noticed something from the trailer, at the end of it, Sonic runs past a Robotnik sign and it turns into a Sonic sign, that convention was thrown out the window in Sonic 3 in favor of mid-bosses, does this mean no more mid-bosses?

Probably. They got rid of midbosses in the GBA games.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Dubble said:
Pretty sure Sonic 3 and Knuckles had signs that fell from the sky after midbosses and endbosses.

S3&K had signs after end of level bosses, and if you, by mid-bosses, mean those minibosses that appeared at the end of act 1, those had signs after them too.

Alphahawk

Dubble said:
Pretty sure Sonic 3 and Knuckles had signs that fell from the sky after midbosses and endbosses.

I'm kind of curious how many acts each zone will have. 3 short acts with a boss at the end of the third, or two long acts with a boss at the end of the second. They mixed up the format a bit in the Advances too.

Yeah they did, but Sonic never zoomed past then, watch the trailer again, it's a very pre-Sonic 3 exit...

Also I really wouldn't consider the GBA/DS games anything to go by in terms of how Sonic 4 will play, after all Sonic 3 isn't even remotely like Sonic Chaos

MAtgS

HUELEN10 said:
Celebi, did that thing just hint at...

:O

Holy Crap! This could explain that second Metal Sonic in Sonic Adventure! Wow, keep on rocking Sega! The news just keeps getting better and better.
There were always 2 sonic robots.

Mecha Sonic: STH2, S&K
Metal Sonic: SCD, STT, Heroes

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
MAtgS said:

Mecha Sonic only appeared in Sonic 2. It's been Metal Sonic ever since then, IMO. Mecha Sonic looks so much different than what's in S&K — it's stocky and gray versus lanky and blue.

[edit] okay some Sonic wiki is saying Sonic 2 had "Silver Sonic", S3&K had "Mecha Sonic" and all other forms of a robotic Sonic are called "Metal Sonic". I think that's bollocks since the S3&K robot looks essentially like all the other robotic Sonics besides the Sonic 2 one; hence, only the Sonic 2 robot should have a different name.

otherwise, everything I've ever known will have been a lie. =(

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
MAtgS said:

Actually, wasn't the one in Sonic 2 16-bit called Pseudo Sonic, with Sonic 2 8-bit having Silver Sonic, S3&K having Mecha Sonic and the rest having Metal Sonic/Metallix?

Why do I know such useless shit?

Edit: No, seems like Silver Sonic was in Sonic 2 16-bit too. Pseudo Sonic seems to be some shitty Sonic robot from the comics.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Combichristoffersen said:
Actually, wasn't the one in Sonic 2 16-bit called Pseudo Sonic, with Sonic 2 8-bit having Silver Sonic, S3&K having Mecha Sonic and the rest having Metal Sonic/Metallix?

Why do I know such useless shit?

Edit: No, seems like Silver Sonic was in Sonic 2 16-bit too. Pseudo Sonic seems to be some shitty Sonic robot from the comics.

oh shit, Pseudo Sonic rings a bell with me, actually... probably from the comics, though

Dubble

Silver Sonic/Mecha Sonic MK1 (the one that's all grey): Sonic 2 16 Bit, Sonic 2 8 Bit
Mecha Sonic (The tall lanky one that went super): Sonic 3 and Knuckles
Metal Sonic: Sonic CD, Triple Trouble, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Heroes

The grey Metal Sonic hybrid was sometimes referred to as the being the first Mecha Sonic hence the confusion. That name eventually wound up being dropped at some point. To make it easier and less confusing, the name Silver Sonic was given to him in America, and that is what he is usually referred as to make it less cumbersome. It only appeared in two very early games.

Metal Sonic
is the standard version and more well known edition that usually winds up being rebuilt and reused in the current franchise. This is the one that also appeared in the OVA in Japan and first appeared in Sonic CD, only to reappear years later in Sonic Heroes. It's the one also used to the largest extent in the comic book. The MS variant in Heroes with the pointy toed design and elongated spikes was unofficially referred to as "Liquid Metal Sonic" with his final form being Metal Madness/Metal Overlord. The final boss of Knuckles Chaotix (the gigantic red version) is called "Hyper Metal Sonic." We're currently on version 2.0 in continuity.

Mecha Sonic in S3&K was an improved variant of Metal Sonic but NOT the original model. THIS is the version that jumped on the Master Emerald and went super before Sonic and Knuckles destroyed it.

Psuedo Sonic
comes from the AoSTH cartoon and was used in the very, VERY, VERY early days of the comic back when it was still silly and had no plot structure. It's often mistaken for Silver Sonic but is not it.

Metal Sonic 3.0
is the version owned by Eggman Nega in Sonic Rivals. I don't have a picture of it but it hasn't been seen or acknowledged since that game since Sega doesn't seem to have an idea of how to fix the Blaze/Silver/Nega clusterfreak that they created with Sonic 2K6/Rivals.

HUELEN10

Dubble said:
Silver Sonic/Mecha Sonic MK1 (the one that's all grey): Sonic 2 16 Bit, Sonic 2 8 Bit
Mecha Sonic (The tall lanky one that went super): Sonic 3 and Knuckles
Metal Sonic: Sonic CD, Triple Trouble, Sonic Drift 2, Sonic Heroes

The grey Metal Sonic hybrid was sometimes referred to as the being the first Mecha Sonic hence the confusion. That name eventually wound up being dropped at some point. To make it easier and less confusing, the name Silver Sonic was given to him in America, and that is what he is usually referred as to make it less cumbersome. It only appeared in two very early games.

Metal Sonic
is the standard and more well known edition that usually winds up being rebuilt and reused in the current franchise. This is the one that also appeared in the OVA in Japan and first appeared in Sonic CD, only to reappear years later in Sonic Heroes. It's the one also used to the largest extent in the comic book. The MS variant in Heroes with the pointy toed design and elongated spikes was unofficially referred to as "Liquid Metal Sonic" with his final form being Metal Madness/Metal Overlord.

Mecha Sonic in S3&K was an improved variant of Metal Sonic but NOT the original model. THIS is the version that jumped on the Master Emerald and went super.

Psuedo Sonic
comes from the AoSTH cartoon and was used in the very, VERY, VERY early days of the comic back when it was still silly and had no plot structure. It's often mistaken for Silver Sonic but is not it.
Then who is this?
2h3o4s2.png

Since this is not Silver/Mecha Sonic due to it not being an early game, not Metal Sonic due to Metal Sonic being in the same room with this fellow, not Metal Sonic 3.0 due to Nega not being introduced yet, and not the "Mecha Sonic that went super" due to it looking nothing like it...

Who is this?!?!?! Maybe this game might explain it? I am just throwing it out there.
KevinCow said:
Does it really matter which Sonic robot is which? They're all robots designed by Robotnik for the sole purpose of killing Sonic. They don't even have their own personalities. You could pretend that they're all the same character with changes to its design in different games and it would change nothing.
Metal Sonic at the very least has a personality, or have you forgotten about Sonic Heroes? It matters to those that care about the little things in the series. It's a nice touch, why ignore it?

KevinCow

Banned
Does it really matter which Sonic robot is which? They're all robots designed by Robotnik for the sole purpose of killing Sonic. They don't even have their own personalities. You could pretend that they're all the same character with changes to its design in different games and it would change nothing.

Dubble

HUELEN10 said:
Then who is this?
2h3o4s2.png

Since this is not Silver/Mecha Sonic due to it not being an early game, not Metal Sonic due to Metal Sonic being in the same room with this fellow, and not not the "Mecha Sonic that went super"...

Who is this?!?!?!

This one is still a bone of contention. One of the old Archie writers took that design and kind of designated it as being "Silver Sonic Mark II". This was before Archie cleaned house, got rid of the old guard and input people that knew and respected the current franchise. :p

As far as the games go, I don't think this model was ever given a name. At least not one that we know of. I've always suspected that it was a modern variation on Silver Sonic put in by the developers as an easter egg, since it's never used and only shows up hidden away in one of the Metal Sonic tanks in the background of Adventure 1.

KevinCow said:

Not quite true but... eh, its complicated. If you follow the game storyline (and even the comics to some extent) both have shown at least one Metal Sonic to have developed a personality of its own and gone rogue before it was destroyed and the next model introduced. For the comics, it was Metal Sonic 1.0; for the games it was pretty much the entire story (what passes as one anyway) for Heroes.

Either way, most of what I said is moot now because what you say DOES stand in current continuity. The current Archie writer prefers Metal Sonic as a mindless killing machine and Sega seems to have reverted back to that aspect too, since that's the version of Metal Sonic that has always been the most popular.

A shame they made sonic more :/ then :) on the new sonic 4 title emblem, come on sega give him a smile.

At some point of SA1 development you were going to be able to download a patch (like the extra voice files and christmas/easter bonuses) from the sa1 website to play as metal and silver sonic, but it got scrapped. I still remember some old official DC mags talking about it and I was all excited until we got the final game without them in :(

The silver sonic that is in that green capsule to me is a remastered silver sonic, he has the wheel shoes just like the old one but instead of spinning spines he has what looks like gun fingers, but we will never know the truth...

HUELEN10

Diablohead said:
A shame they made sonic more :/ then :) on the new sonic 4 title emblem, come on sega give him a smile.
I don't know...
i5qgef.png

In all these title screens, he has a sort of smirk grin. Why should this new game be any different?

Dubble

At the risk of getting thoroughly lambasted...

I really do not get all the hate for the green eyes. I can certainly understand the top heavy aspects of the design and why some people would not like that, but by the same token you'd have to be an idiot to think Sega would throw away a design they remarketed thier entire franchise on and what nearly all modern Sonic fans are used to almost overnight.

But singling out the green eyes as some foul game ruining aspect that makes it worthy of foaming at the mouth and screaming in the streets? Shoot, on the model in the trailer I couldn't really tell what color his eyes were. At least until you see close up image renders of him like in the title marquee. It's a kind of silly thing to complain over IMO, but maybe I'm just the odd man out and not getting it. **shrugs**

G_Berry

Banned
All I can say is that most of the people in this thread are crazy.... white jacket, off to the nut house crazy!

Bring on Sonic 4!

HUELEN10

Diablohead said:
What's the bet that for episode 2 we will get a remake of this banner?

2q1ias5.png

:lol you know it
Whoa, I just noticed that Sonic's on the left, but in the Megadrive Sonic 2, he's on the right! :lol

HUELEN10 said:
Whoa, I just noticed that Sonic's on the left, but in the Megadrive Sonic 2, he's on the right! :lol
MD beta version of this screen he is on the right too, giving a thumbs up instead of peace sign.

HUELEN10

Diablohead said:
God, Sonic looks scary as all hell in that shot, while Tails is just staring oddly at you. :lol Beta had some great things going for it, but I honestly can't say the title screen was one of them.

Dubble

I don't care what anyone says. The original triple threat of Sonic/Tails/Knuckles was one of the best things I loved about this franchise as it evolved naturally before Adventure wildly took it in a completely different (and for the worst depending on your POV) direction.

I can do with or without Amy (I appreciate her modern version over her classic nonexistant personality), but STK - Tails following alongside Sonic while trying to catch up or Knuckles off doing his own thing was just something I liked when playing the original games as a kid. I miss that and I kind of already hope the second episode will reintroduce Tails to his original style of gameplay before Sega gave him unnecessary giant mechs and QTE bi-plane stages and made him the stereotypical brainiac nerd sidekick of the series which has been played up to crazy degrees. They have to get Sonic right first, though.

A step back into the basics of Sonic's original cast before their Adventure-based flanderizations would be really nice.

Sega1991 said:
Actually, considering this is episodic, depending on how long there is between episodes, the first one may actually be 100% complete right now with preliminary work being done on "Episode 2".

It can be either extreme, done/near done or hardly started - if done, the project is so sloppy and unpolished that that trailer is the best they can show? I really disbelieve that, if it was almost complete then we would get something a little better than what looks like a slapped together job in Flash using modified concept art and recycled Sonic model.

Then again, there is the thing where that advertising company was also hired to do this one and that's what they were "given" as an asset to create the trailer. Doubtful though.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
urk, I hate the play-dough looking characters on the sonic 3 and S&K logo screens. horrible. 2 for lyfe!

jetsetfluken said:
It can be either extreme, done/near done or hardly started - if done, the project is so sloppy and unpolished that that trailer is the best they can show? I really disbelieve that, if it was almost complete then we would get something a little better than what looks like a slapped together job in Flash using modified concept art and recycled Sonic model.

Then again, there is the thing where that advertising company was also hired to do this one and that's what they were "given" as an asset to create the trailer. Doubtful though.

There is usually a gulf between "what they have to show to the public" and "what is actually finished". Two weeks before Sonic Unleashed was to hit store shelves, "new" video was posted on the game's official website, showing an old style of HUD that had been long-since phased out. Heck, if you leave it on the title screen, I think you can even catch a glimpse of the old Werehog HUD in the attract mode demo video!

What marketing goons have is not necessarily "up to date". I'm not saying this fixes any problems you might have with the art direction, but still - what looks sloppy now could have been fixed weeks ago.

I have no doubt in my mind that at this stage, Sonic 4 is at or near "content complete". It has to be, otherwise they're lagging way behind (Devil's Advocate: which, given the typically hectic development cycle most Sonic games go through, is worryingly possible).

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm hoping the first boss encounter is a revamped version of the classic ball-and-chain Robotnik that was in the very first stage of Sonic the Hedgehog.

Y'know, like how the first boss in Contra 4 is that wall from the original Contra but OHMIGOD NOW IT'S TWO STOREYS TALL :O kind of twist.

Blueblur1

The final Sonic 2 title screen image is still my favorite. Looks like a 'Classic Sonic' version of the taller Sonic that Sega was pushing with Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic 2006. Looks great even today.

MAtgS

HUELEN10 said:
Then who is this?
2h3o4s2.png

Since this is not Silver/Mecha Sonic due to it not being an early game, not Metal Sonic due to Metal Sonic being in the same room with this fellow, not Metal Sonic 3.0 due to Nega not being introduced yet, and not the "Mecha Sonic that went super" due to it looking nothing like it...
Um, I'm pretty sure that IS Mecha, not the 1st time that bot got a different paint job.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
bryehn said:
I can't believe some people still think the Wii has 512MB of usable space.

I can, considering the Wii itself does. ;)

Yes, I was playing the semantics card as a joke. How original. :(

WillyFive

Diablohead said:
:lol would the internal 512mb be enough? the game takes nearly a whole cd as it is.

No reason for it ti be on VC, since it's already on the Gamecube exclusive Sonic Gems Collection.

Which I have. No loading screens either.

Also, Sonic and Knuckles has the best title screen. Sonic 3 a close second, but SK takes the cake for not using that dumb ring.

Blueblur1

Willy105 said:
No reason for it ti be on VC, since it's already on the Gamecube exclusive Sonic Gems Collection.

Which I have. No loading screens either.

Also, Sonic and Knuckles has the best title screen. Sonic 3 a close second, but SK takes the cake for not using that dumb ring.
Wow. GTFO.

MAtgS

SuperAngelo64 said:
I swear, if someone brings up the Comic or 'SatAM' or any of that shit I'm going to bodyslam them into a Chili-dog stand.
Kinda hard not to when SatAM had leagues better writing than the games themselves ever will.

So long as they have branching paths and don't somehow amazingly oversimplify an already simple game.........I will be satisfied. I just hope they stick to the nostalgia of those who played the game endlessly and not the nostalgia of casuals.

Night_Trekker said:
That Sonic 2 logo is so awesome. vaguely anime-ish Sonic >>>>> the crap we have now

Sega needs to bring back the Sonic design from the Sonic CD intro.

I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed Sonic 2's versus mode. Man, so many hours of fun back in the day. Stealing powerups from each other and the coin matches :D

Top Bottom