• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

Sophia

Sanjuro Tsubaki said:
It looks almost as bland as the Sonic 2-HD screens. Nothing really stands out, everything overly polished, and Sonic looks very strange.

Not really sure how you can come to this conclusion from what amounts to five second footage that is almost entirely a loop. :lol

Bentendo

Uhh, have you guys seen Nintendo Life today? Ummm... I'm not going to touch this rumor with a fifty foot pole (though if it were true that would mean Sonic would be in TWO great games this year :lol ).

Bentendo said:
Uhh, have you guys seen Nintendo Life today? Ummm... I'm not going to touch this rumor with a fifty foot pole (though if it were true that would mean Sonic would be in TWO great games this year :lol ).

http://twitter.com/NGamer_mag

# More teasing from our insider: Sonic levels will be in 'Green Hill Galaxy'. Matthew's nearly in tears (of despair) 27 minutes ago from web
# From a trusted source about 1 hour ago from web
# We've just had some shocking news from an inside source at Nintendo: Sonic will be a playable character in Mario Galaxy 2! Wha?

lol

Sanjuro

Marrshu said:
Not really sure how you can come to this conclusion from what amounts to five second footage that is almost entirely a loop. :lol
I'm pretty sure you came to this conclusion by removing text from my original statement. :lol

Andrex said:
Sonic in Mario Galaxy 2!! :lol :lol :lol Now I've heard it all.

If true, this is good news for me ONLY because of how much gnashing of teeth this will cause with the Nintendo fanboys. Smash Bros. was bad enough for them, but THIS is rich.

Sonic in Smash was one thing, but Sega would be straight up insane to let him be in a game they could NEVER EVER live up to following. Lets just drop it, aint gonna happen, just a dumbshit rumour riding on the back of "ITS CALLED SONIC 4" announcement.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Sonic in Smash was one thing, but Sega would be straight up insane to let him be in a game they could NEVER EVER live up to following. Lets just drop it, aint gonna happen, just a dumbshit rumour riding on the back of "ITS CALLED SONIC 4" announcement.
why not, they put him in four genesis games they never bothered to follow

Bentendo

Does anybody actually believe this? Do you know how much in trouble NGamer would be if they revealed this? Let me tell you how much in trouble they'd be... Big trouble.

I just posted the rumor because I thought everyone would laugh at how low NGamer went to get hits.

ckohler

Andrex said:
Sonic Unleashed has pretty well-made cutscenes too...
Yes it does on a technical level. However the cut scenes in Sonic CD are still better than the marvelous CG ones in Unleashed by simple virtue of telling the story without words. The moment Sonic started giving voiced exposition his character was irrevocably damaged.

Just imagine if Nintendo decided to have Mario start giving long winded speaches in his games. It'd suck. They're at least smart enough to limit him to a few simple catchphrases now and then.

Monroeski said:
The best part of the Sonic Cycle is that it's sometimes a self fulfilling prophecy. Here they announce a new 2D platformer on consoles with an episodic structure that's a throwback to what many people think its the best in the entire series, and here people are about to start setting mattresses on fire because of homing attacks and freaking EYE COLOR. Even when the good 2D platformers came out for DS, they weren't good enough for many because OH NOEZ THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH BECAUSE THEY'RE PORTABLE INSTEAD OF ON CONSOLES!

Never change, GAF, never change. :lol

I read this a lot. Basically it means, "stop badmouthing this game that I'm already in love with".

ckohler said:
Y The moment Sonic started giving voiced exposition his character was irrevocably damaged.

in before fanboys angrily remind you that Sonic's voice isn't what's making the games worse and is irrelevant.

I agree, though. Somebody should remove Sonic's vocal cords, permanently.

Pappasman said:
I don't think I could listen to mario's voice for as long as sonic's. It's terrifying.

You should listen to his quips from the PC title, 'Mario's FUNdamentals'. They're quite long-winded. And odd.

Bentendo

ckohler said:
Just imagine if Nintendo decided to have Mario start giving long winded speaches in his games. It'd suck. They're at least smart enough to limit him to a few simple catchphrases now and then.

I really wish Sega would do this with Sonic. Just give him grunts and "yeses" and what-not. It's unbearable listening to him talk, and after hearing Charles Martinet say full sentences in Mario's voice it's unbearable hearing it too.

Brashnir

FrostuTheNinja said:
I've always wanted to know what a Miyamoto designed Sonic would be like...

A hell of a lot better than any Sega-designed Sonic we've gotten since the Genesis, that's for sure.

the amount of blind Nintendo posts are ruinning this thread even worse beyond belief.

fuck this thread for today. ''Myamoto nah, Mario voice nah''

oh fuck me!

alex1893

little bit late on this, but yeah for Sonic 4, bring it on. :D

Sonic in Galaxy? no way. :lol Can't even imagine how he should fit into the Galaxy scheme.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Andrex said:
Dude I think I really AM on acid now. o_0

1zofh49.jpg

Eric C

Sonic in Galaxy 2? I'm not sure that's the cross-over game I envisioned. How would that work? Would Mario go to planet Mobius and find Sonic? I'll stop now... I'm thinking too much about something that's not happening.

Alphahawk

Why are we discussing Galaxy 2 in a Sonic 4 thread? I don't care if he's in Mario World 3 this is a thread about Sonic 4 and not any other shenanigans...

gamergirly said:
Would be nice to have a collaborative Mario & Sonic platformer. Not sure how it would work tho

Maybe you could alternate levels playing as Mario and Sonic?

What if the game was set up like New Super Mario Bros., like how there's a large overworld map and you can choose between Mario and Luigi?

Well in this idea, some stages are easier with Mario and some stages are easier with Sonic. Figuring out which character to choose for each course would add an element of strategy.

Just a quick idea off the top of my head.

WillyFive

SonicMegaDrive said:
If true, this is good news for me ONLY because of how much gnashing of teeth this will cause with the Nintendo fanboys. Smash Bros. was bad enough for them, but THIS is rich.

Nintendo fanboys love Sonic. It's the Sega fanboys that hate him.

Bentendo said:

I would rather play Sonic in Mario Galaxy 2 than this 2D game.

As entirely insane Sonic being in the first Mario sequel in half a decade is, it's also completely awesome.

SonicMegaDrive said:
Maybe you could alternate levels playing as Mario and Sonic?

What if the game was set up like New Super Mario Bros., like how there's a large overworld map and you can choose between Mario and Luigi?

Well in this idea, some stages are easier with Mario and some stages are easier with Sonic. Figuring out which character to choose for each course would add an element of strategy.

Just a quick idea off the top of my head.

Neat idea. But my idea is that they would be controlled together like Sonic Heroes, and use Mario for platforming, and Sonic for speed and momentum.

The levels could be designed for both of them, having traps designed to play against Sonic's speed and against Mario's platforming, challenging both reflexes and hand-eye coordination.

alex1893 said:
little bit late on this, but yeah for Sonic 4, bring it on. :D

Sonic in Galaxy? no way. :lol Can't even imagine how he should fit into the Galaxy scheme.

Replace Yoshi with Sonic, and it's done.

1043347-960551_20090602_screen008.jpg

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Alphahawk said:
Why are we discussing Galaxy 2 in a Sonic 4 thread? I don't care if he's in Mario World 3 this is a thread about Sonic 4 and not any other shenanigans...
Because we all know he'll have better running animation.

The Hermit

gutter_trash said:
the amount of blind Nintendo posts are ruinning this thread even worse beyond belief.

fuck this thread for today. ''Myamoto nah, Mario voice nah''

oh fuck me!

We are talking about Sonic fans... that's theorically impossi...

Willy105 said:
Replace Yoshi with Sonic, and it's done.

1043347-960551_20090602_screen008.jpg

Ok goodbye thanks for ruinning my life
2v02892.gif

DeVeAn

If Sonic really is appearing in Mario Galaxy 2 I don't see what the big deal is honestly. I think it would be neat. I think we need to stop taking games so seriously.

This game looks like the game they should have made over 10 years ago. Clap clap Sega, you slow daft pricks, at least they're semi close to doing something right...

...or that was until I read it was Episodic! 2D side scroller, episodic... Jesus..

POWERSPHERE said:
This game looks like the game they should have made over 10 years ago. Clap clap Sega, you slow daft pricks, at least they're semi close to doing something right...

...or that was until I read it was Episodic! 2D side scroller, episodic... Jesus..

Sonic 3 and Knuckles were 'episodic'.

All it means is that the story of 'Sonic 4 part 1' will continue directly into the next game they make. Which only means we're getting MORE than one new game.

It's supposed to be good news.

DeVeAn said:
If Sonic really is appearing in Mario Galaxy 2 I don't see what the big deal is honestly. I think it would be neat. I think we need to stop taking games so seriously.

My inner 12 year old would jump for joy if it happened. Really. I'd welcome it with open arms.

POWERSPHERE said:

Jesus christ if I see one more fuck whining about "noez it's episodic" I'm going to quit video games punch them in the face.

Episode I will be roughly the same length as one of the Genesis games.

Aaron Strife said:
Jesus christ if I see one more fuck whining about "noez it's episodic" I'm going to quit video games punch them in the face.

Right. The "Episode" approach is probably marketing speak for "We can make several of these and not be up to Sonic 8". It means if you like what they make with the first episode, they have an easy excuse to make more of it without building and marketing a completely new game each time, and have an excuse to reuse engine work and assets more obviously, which means more time and money to make the actual levels.

Even if they do a continuing plot through them, so what, so many people here say they don't care about the plot in Sonic games, just enjoy the levels then.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Aaron Strife said:

That hasn't been confirmed yet. Even still, that makes the episodic titling all the dumber.

Top Bottom