• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

Ten-Song

Alphahawk said:
IGN wrote an article where they speculated that the entirety of Sonic 4's bosses were gonna be revamped older bosses. Which is a horrible idea btw.

Too bad it's also completely plausible. :(

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Firestorm said:
Yeah, Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles had too large a focus on story.

It's just that the few tidbits we've heard from SEGA refer to 4 as a new story arc and whatnot. I don't really believe them when they say Episode 1 is like Sonic 3 vs. S&K, but we'll see.

RagnarokX

Alphahawk said:
IGN wrote an article where they speculated that the entirety of Sonic 4's bosses were gonna be revamped older bosses. Which is a horrible idea btw.
Well, as long as they don't follow Sonic CD's example. Easiest bosses ever. 4 hits what?

Well... the Quartz Quadrant boss was cool.

Xanafalgue said:
People bitching about the running animation is just pathetic. Its a work in progress.

Every time people trot out the "I'm sure it'll get better in the final thing" excuse in relation to a Sonic game I can only assume they must exist in some alternate dimension where they havent been proven wrong each and every time for like the last fucking 16 years.

Xanafalgue said:
People bitching about the running animation is just pathetic. Its a work in progress.

You hope.

You hope.

What developer are we talking about here again? Not the same one that released 'Sonic 06' unfinished. Right??

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Ericsc said:
This was found on the official website when it launched, but Sega removed it.

Well so much for that. Why are people excited over this again?

I just hope the gameplay will not suffer because of the new look of the game, then again; we haven't seen THAT much of the game in the trailer yet, so...

Anywayz, I just hope that Metal Sonic, or my favorite Hyper Metal Sonic, returns !

celebi23

A little bit off topic but, take a look at this:

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/02/0...-art-and-cupcakes-happy-friday/#comment-20074

Looks like I win a a copy of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 signed by Iizuka-san :D

Sonic 3 was the one Sonic Genesis game that I never bought as a kid. I can now play Sonic 3 & Knuckles as it was meant to be played :D :D :D :D :D :D

Eh-hem, sorry about that. I just needed to get that out of my system :lol I've never won anything in a contest. This made my day :lol

Vgamer

celebi23 said:

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/02/0...-art-and-cupcakes-happy-friday/#comment-20074

Sonic 3 was the one Sonic Genesis game that I never bought as a kid. I can now play Sonic 3 & Knuckles as it was meant to be played :D :D :D :D :D :D

Eh-hem, sorry about that. I just needed to get that out of my system :lol I've never won anything in a contest. This made my day :lol

Very cool! Congrats!

Teknoman

celebi23 said:

Damn man, congrats on that.

Oh yeah and:

52dvtw.jpg

celebi23

Zilch said:
Funny, I think Sonic 3 was probably the first videogame I bought with my own money.

Sonic 1 came with my Genesis. Sonic 2 I got with some left over birthday money. Sonic & Knuckles I got at Funcoland about 8 years ago. I honestly don't mean to brag it's just that this really made a hellish week end on a better note :D

Firestorm

Oblivion said:
Well so much for that. Why are people excited over this again?
Because there are a LOT of blanks in this project and some people are filling those blanks in with their own imagination. How excited they are depends on how easy it is for them to believe that their imaginary world is real.

Teknoman

Well...i'm excited since its the first 2d console Sonic in quite some time, and still has to possibility to be a good game. Maybe excited isnt the word...but im still pretty optimistic on the game's outcome.

loosus

Banned
What's amazing to me is that Sega is ballsy enough to call this game "Sonic the Hedgehog 4." Since the late 1990s, people have always said, "Well yeah, these games suck, but honestly, they're not even part of the 'Sonic the Hedgheog' series."

Well now, Sega has removed all obstacles to tarnishing the Sonic brand. :lol You can't even rely on the old standby excuse, anymore.

Ten-Song

loosus said:
What's amazing to me is that Sega is ballsy enough to call this game "Sonic the Hedgehog 4." Since the late 1990s, people have always said, "Well yeah, these games suck, but honestly, they're not even part of the 'Sonic the Hedgheog' series."

I don't think that's the case, so much as people that enjoyed the games stopped giving a shit. At least that's been the case for me. I can't recall anyone trying to salvage their fandom of Sonic by dismissing the newer games as not being a part of some odd canon. The game's are just utter shit, and all the people that enjoyed the good games moved on and allowed the series to be taken over by its new (and very creepy) fanbase.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Teknoman said:
Well the guy was senior designer for Sonic 3 and Knuckles...some small part of that has to exist in his mind.

That Iizuka guy or whatever? Wasn't he the lead director of Shadow the Hedgehog and NiGHTS Wii?

RagnarokX

AwakenedCloud said:
If you're going to post a comparison, don't mess with the footage. You can look at the timer and tell whoever made this slowed it down.
They're comparing animations, not speeds. Nobody is complaining about speed.

Teknoman

Oblivion said:
That Iizuka guy or whatever? Wasn't he the lead director of Shadow the Hedgehog and NiGHTS Wii?

Exactly, thats why im hoping some glimmer of the past is still floating around in his head.

Of course he could just be there as a special thanks credit like in most recent Sonic titles.

loosus

Banned
Is there anyone who can be pinned down at Sonic Team who -- we know for a fact -- contributed greatly to the general design of the game? My impression is that Yuji Naka, for example, really didn't make the game what it was, despite people's insistence on calling him the "father" of Sonic or whatever.

And I know there's that one guy who worked at Naughty Dog for a while, who (I guess) contributed quite a bit.

It would be interesting to find out who in the original team really came up with the ideas and level designs that made the game great.

And I guess there is no way that Dreams Come True is going to have anything to do with this game, right?

Iizuka has shown time and time again he has no talent for designing Sonic games, Tekno. Dunno why you'd put stock in him now. He's just the token japanese Sonic Team member name slapped on the title so they dont face outright THEN WHO WAS PHONE(-ing in this sequel), as was the case with Sonic Rivals and Backbone team responsible for main development.

What made Sonic "great" was Oshima's art style, Naka's competence at programming, Yasuhara's genius level design (and of course the sound team). Theyre the big named three and all have left, and Sonic music has remained pretty good throughout the years anyway.

Firestorm

Newest 4 Guys 1 Up is on this:
It's not every week that a sequel get's announced 16 years after the last title. Since Sega decided to pull back the curtain on Sonic 4: Episode 1 it was the perfect time to bring Ray Barnholt and Jeremy Parish to talk about the significance of Sega adding that 4 to the title. Not to be outdone we also talk about the latest Fallout game, the ESRB getting a little too descriptive, and Grasshopper games adding some serious talent. In Whatcha been playin Ray talks about the recently released No More Heroes 2, Scooter talk Aliens vs. Predator, David explores his Russian side with Metro 2033 and Jeremy discusses the wonder that is a roguelike with Shiren the Wanderer.
http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3176640

loosus

Banned
Sonic's music certainly isn't its low-point, but nothing touches the original three. Those three had fantastic, memorable tunes.

And aside from the instruments and 16-bit-ish quality, the melody from Sonic 4 that we have doesn't really sound memorable.

Best to face facts right now, Sonic 4 itself won't be memorable. Its going to be remix of everything 'old skool' Sonic to appease the hardcore. You'll get remuxed chiptunes featuring the original instruments from Sonic 1/2, you'll get throwback bosses with NEW TWISTS and as you can see already, very much 'INSPIRED BY _____' zones. Expecting something new and fresh from this game is a mistake. This is a cynical marketed slingshot downloadable game going down a ticklist.

Hopefully it will be competent and not sloppy, so the next full gameplay reveal better indicate that and not have shitacular animations and physics.

jman2050

loosus said:
Is there anyone who can be pinned down at Sonic Team who -- we know for a fact -- contributed greatly to the general design of the game? My impression is that Yuji Naka, for example, really didn't make the game what it was, despite people's insistence on calling him the "father" of Sonic or whatever.

As much as people like to downplay Naka nowadays, for good reason, this is pretty much untrue. His ability to direct and design a game aside, Naka was a Genesis coding god and it's unlikely the original Sonic, and especially its sequels, would have ended up anywhere near as polished, tightly controlled, and visually pleasing as it was without his coding skills to basically take the Genesis and push out every ounce of power it had. Sonic 3 and Knuckles is about as tightly optimized and efficient as a Genesis game engine could get.

And I know there's that one guy who worked at Naughty Dog for a while, who (I guess) contributed quite a bit.

It would be interesting to find out who in the original team really came up with the ideas and level designs that made the game great.

Hirokazu Yasuhara, who was the director and lead designer for all three games, and to my understanding did all the level design. Code wizardry aside, he is the missing piece that Sonic has lacked from a conceptual standpoint.

And I guess there is no way that Dreams Come True is going to have anything to do with this game, right?

Dreams Come True isn't around anymore, though if you want to be technical the only person who actually worked on Sonic's music was the band lead Masato Nakamura. Getting him back would be awesome, though obviously it isn't meant to be :(

Teknoman

SecretBonusPoint said:
Iizuka has shown time and time again he has no talent for designing Sonic games, Tekno. Dunno why you'd put stock in him now. He's just the token japanese Sonic Team member name slapped on the title so they dont face outright THEN WHO WAS PHONE(-ing in this sequel), as was the case with Sonic Rivals and Backbone team responsible for main development.

What made Sonic "great" was Oshima's art style, Naka's competence at programming, Yasuhara's genius level design (and of course the sound team). Theyre the big named three and all have left, and Sonic music has remained pretty good throughout the years anyway.

Yeah went back and checked, and now they just slap his name on for special thanks. The few sonic games he was really involved in after S&K werent that great...

Lan_97 said:
He also said that NiGHTS Wii was closer to his original vision of NiGHTS.

Seriously? Well...guess theres nothing to do than wait for more footage and see whatever is in that interview.

HUELEN10

loosus said:
Sonic's music certainly isn't its low-point, but nothing touches the original three. Those three had fantastic, memorable tunes.

And aside from the instruments and 16-bit-ish quality, the melody from Sonic 4 that we have doesn't really sound memorable.
Maybe that's in part because we don't have anything to associate the music to...

yet.

Eric C

AwakenedCloud said:
If you're going to post a comparison, don't mess with the footage. You can look at the timer and tell whoever made this slowed it down.

I didn't make the gifs. The gifs were already posted separately by other people in this very thread. I just posted them both together for comparison.

It's not about speed it's about what Sonic's feet are doing in each animation.

andymcc

Banned
Teknoman said:
Yeah went back and checked, and now they just slap his name on for special thanks. The few games he was really involved in after S&K werent that great...

err... the original nights into dreams?

Sciz

loosus said:
There's a part of me that wants to argue long and hard in favor of Adventure, Rush, and large chunks of Unleashed, but this isn't the place for it.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Best to face facts right now, Sonic 4 itself won't be memorable. Its going to be remix of everything 'old skool' Sonic to appease the hardcore. You'll get remuxed chiptunes featuring the original instruments from Sonic 1/2, you'll get throwback bosses with NEW TWISTS and as you can see already, very much 'INSPIRED BY _____' zones. Expecting something new and fresh from this game is a mistake. This is a cynical marketed slingshot downloadable game going down a ticklist.

Hopefully it will be competent and not sloppy, so the next full gameplay reveal better indicate that and not have shitacular animations and physics.
At this point I'm ok with something that amounts to Sonic Pocket Adventure 2. Large amounts of remixed music would surprise me though, even in a retro throwback like this. Just not Sega's style.

jman2050 said:
Dreams Come True isn't around anymore
wait what

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
ffffuuuu... BonusPoint has officially brought me from 'most likely not laughable' to 'it's gonna suuuuuuuuck'.

I swear, if Backbone has anything to do with this I'm gonna rage like nobody's business.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
RagnarokX said:
Well, as long as they don't follow Sonic CD's example. Easiest bosses ever. 4 hits what?

Well... the Quartz Quadrant boss was cool.

The first boss took three hiits to defeat IIRC :lol

The only really good boss in Sonic CD was the race against Metal Sonic.

HUELEN10

Brobzoid said:
ffffuuuu... BonusPoint has officially brought me from 'most likely not laughable' to 'it's gonna suuuuuuuuck'.

I swear, if Backbone has anything to do with this I'm gonna rage like nobody's business.
I doubt backbone has ANYTHING to do with this. That being said...

They are still fucking up the classics WITHOUT backbone's help, so who knows?

Top Bottom