• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

I don't want to be tarring the game with THE WORST TAR that is from the Backbone barrel if its truly not, and the full gameplay videos of a level will be the best to scrutinise, but the animation on show in that brief snippet of gameplay just seemed very Sonic Rivals and very much 'western' styled animation of a 3d Sonic model, and not japanese. The issue being that this is the Sonic Unleashed model that both Sonic Team and Dimps have animated themselves, so there would be no reason to re-animate it so poorly. Thus...

And yeah, as I said I wont mind a remix game thats just nice and competent and not pushing boundries. I enjoyed Sonic Rush Adventure quite a bit, I like my 2d Sonic (Sonic Advance 3 is the only one I've outright hated and Rivals DOESNT EXIST).

Ericsc said:
2z726mo.gif

Nintendo ^
otdwlc.gif

Sega ^

Precisely.

Xanafalgue said:
People bitching about the running animation is just pathetic. Its a work in progress.

SecretBonusPoint said:
Every time people trot out the "I'm sure it'll get better in the final thing" excuse in relation to a Sonic game I can only assume they must exist in some alternate dimension where they havent been proven wrong each and every time for like the last fucking 16 years.

(>^_^(>0_o)>

loosus

Banned
So...

Dreams Come True did the music for Sonic 1 and Sonic 2.

Michael Jackson (or, at least, his cronies) had some significant input in Sonic 3.

That begs the question...what popular, modern pop artist will be doing Sonic 4? :lol

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Teknoman said:
True, but those rumors earlier were right so far (About it being Sonic 4 episode 1) and they were quickly snatched down by Sega...so im guessing the information was pretty legit.

Fair point! I'd forgotten about that.

Aaron Strife said:
Sonic 3 and S&K were both the same length as the other two games though, more or less.

Yeah, that's why I said they were both fully-fledged entries in the series (although Knuckles' campaign in S&K was shorter than Sonic's, IIRC).

jman2050

loosus said:
So...

Michael Jackson (or, at least, his cronies) had some significant input in Sonic 3.

That begs the question...what popular, modern pop artist will be doing Sonic 4? :lol

2i9s84n.jpg

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
you know what, fuck this I'm raging already. I was cautiously optimistic, but apparently Sega can't even port genesis games to the fucking DS. I'd be seriously impressed if anyone at team sonic can keep themselves from shitting their pants when trying to do anything besides focusing on not fucking shitting their pants! Sega should just let dimps or some other sweatshop do the entire thing, apparently team sonic is some sort of affirmative action for the mentally handicapped.

:|

edit: ffffffuuuuuuuuucck that brawl gif is painful. LET NINTENDO DO IT FOR FUCKS SAKE. SHIT LET THE INTERN WORKING IN NINTENDO'S MAIL ROOM DO IT! :mad:

Teknoman

This just in:

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=19076&st=2640

Hello everyone!

Today we have some good news to bring you guys in regard to Sonic's running animation in Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I! Specifically, we wanted to cover a topic that many of you have asked about after seeing the trailer.

Q: Is the running animation in the trailer what Sonic's fastest running animation will look like in Sonic the Hedgehog 4? It looks kind of slow, don't you think?

A: Actually, it is not his fastest speed! There is a faster animation for Sonic's running that was not shown in the trailer, and is more akin to what you might be familiar seeing from Sonic 3 & Knuckles or Sonic CD.

So there you have it! We'll get to show you guys firsthand what that running animation looks like in the future - but until then, rest assured that there's a lot more to the game than what you saw in the trailer: running animations included.

Have a great weekend,
Ruby

HUELEN10

loosus said:
So...

I don't know about you guys, but Tatsuyuki Maeda, Yutaka Minobe, Teruhiko Nakagawa, Kenichi Tokoi, Hideaki Kobayashi, Masato Nakamura, Masaru Setsumaru, Fumie Kumatani, or Tomoya Ohtani would make me very happy.
Teknoman said:
This just in:

Hello everyone!

Today we have some good news to bring you guys in regard to Sonic's running animation in Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I! Specifically, we wanted to cover a topic that many of you have asked about after seeing the trailer.

Q: Is the running animation in the trailer what Sonic's fastest running animation will look like in Sonic the Hedgehog 4? It looks kind of slow, don't you think?

A: Actually, it is not his fastest speed! There is a faster animation for Sonic's running that was not shown in the trailer, and is more akin to what you might be familiar seeing from Sonic 3 & Knuckles or Sonic CD.

So there you have it! We'll get to show you guys firsthand what that running animation looks like in the future - but until then, rest assured that there's a lot more to the game than what you saw in the trailer: running animations included.

Have a great weekend,
Ruby
If this, by some miracle, includes the Super Peel-Out, it would make my day! :D

loosus said:
So...

RAH RAH AH AH AH

I am unsurprised Mr RubyEclipse hasn't ventured into this thread to say that himself.

So there is still hope I guess! I don't really know why they wouldn't have shown it considering the sprites before it making a specific POINT of showing the circle legs, but we'll see.

Eric C

Teknoman said:
This just in:

Hello everyone!

Have a great weekend,
Ruby

This is good news. I'm hopeful.

Maybe Sonic CD's Super Peel-Out will be making a return.

But this adds another question. Why can Sonic go across those corkscrews without running at full speed? He would fall in Sonic 2 if he wasn't running at full speed.

I posted this earlier in the thread.
Ericsc said:
In Sonic 2 you have to be running full speed to make it across standing up. Once on the corkscrew it changes Sonic's running animation to something very similar to what is seen in the Sonic 4 trailer (corkscrew part). In Sonic 2, after Sonic gets off the corkscrew his legs resume moving at full speed which didn't happen in the Sonic 4 trailer.

Teknoman

Eh it's Sega. Really dont know why they wouldnt put their best foot forward the first time around. Then again, even Secret Rings only have a CG trailer and no gameplay the first time.

EDIT:...crap time to do some detective work.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SecretBonusPoint said:
Best to face facts right now, Sonic 4 itself won't be memorable. Its going to be remix of everything 'old skool' Sonic to appease the hardcore. You'll get remuxed chiptunes featuring the original instruments from Sonic 1/2, you'll get throwback bosses with NEW TWISTS and as you can see already, very much 'INSPIRED BY _____' zones. Expecting something new and fresh from this game is a mistake.

So it'll be the NSMB DS of Sonic games? That doesn't sound too bad.

Ten-Song

Ericsc said:
But this adds another question. Why can Sonic go across those corkscrews without running at full speed? He would fall in Sonic 2 if he wasn't running at full speed.

Maybe they reduce the speed required to go through because every corkscrew hovers over a BOTTOMLESS PIT.

Teknoman

1up guys are complaining about deviantart furries, questioning the foot blur (some say it doesnt matter, some want it to be back).

C'mon Ruby tell us whats up.

HUELEN10

Ten-Song said:
Maybe they reduce the speed required to go through because every corkscrew hovers over a BOTTOMLESS PIT.
Or maybe the footage is from a tutorial stage. It is possible, some Sonic games have these.

Teknoman said:
1up guys are complaining about deviantart furries, questioning the foot blur (some say it doesnt matter, some want it to be back).

C'mon Ruby tell us whats up.

1up guys will be as clueless as us since they werent privvy to the exclusive like they were with that other retro revival that doesnt exist.

loosus said:
Sonic's music certainly isn't its low-point, but nothing touches the original three. Those three had fantastic, memorable tunes.

And aside from the instruments and 16-bit-ish quality, the melody from Sonic 4 that we have doesn't really sound memorable.

I will agree with you there. Sonic games typically have very iconic melodies and the Sonic 4 song doesn't. It's just "Hey guys, check it out! Faux retro!" It's limp and it's all over the place. There's nothing to grab on to, to stick in your head. Nothing to whistle in the shower.

It's like the titlescreen song for that Sonic the Hedgehog Level Creator they did for PlaySega. It wouldn't be surprised if it was actually the same composer, really.

I mean, think of the classic Sonic games. They all had "theme songs", where you could single out one singular, memorable melody.

Sonic 1 and 2
Sonic 3
S&K

Sonic 4 kind of has that, but it's nowhere near as strong or instantly recognizable. It almost sounds like the chorus to a bigger song.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Buckethead said:
Gratzie, gratzie everyone.

nitpicking mode ON

"grazie".

This reminds me how I weep everytime I see someone writing "Capici!"
What the fuck is a capici? "Capisci", or at the very least the mafioso's slang would be "Capisce?"
The SCE/SCI part is pronounced like "shush!"

LOL, sorry guys I couldn't resist.. after all I see everyday your "It's a me!" crap.. your turn now! :D

Firestorm

jman2050 said:
As much as people like to downplay Naka nowadays, for good reason, this is pretty much untrue. His ability to direct and design a game aside, Naka was a Genesis coding god and it's unlikely the original Sonic, and especially its sequels, would have ended up anywhere near as polished, tightly controlled, and visually pleasing as it was without his coding skills to basically take the Genesis and push out every ounce of power it had. Sonic 3 and Knuckles is about as tightly optimized and efficient as a Genesis game engine could get.

Hirokazu Yasuhara, who was the director and lead designer for all three games, and to my understanding did all the level design. Code wizardry aside, he is the missing piece that Sonic has lacked from a conceptual standpoint.
Fully agree here. I think the backlash for Naka from many, including myself, comes from him being mislabelled the father of Sonic and being put in a director role where he doesn't belong. The man is a programmer and a damn good programmer. He was a significant part of making Sonic play like he did back then.

I sorely miss Yasuhara's mark on Sonic. It was interesting that what stuck out most to me in Uncharted was how well the levels were designed. They all had you going in the right direction even though it felt like the entire area was open to you. Then I found out that one of the people responsible for that was the same one responsible for the good Sonic games' levels!

so it's old school 16 bit sonic platforming with a hd coat of paint and leaderboards. episodic release part is somewhat of a buzz-killer but it’s still day one for me. a re-invention ala new mario bross wii is what Sonic franchise truly deserves imho but this doesn’t look (and sound) bad at all.

Dash Kappei

Sciz said:
I'll assume you mean Rush Adventure, which a simple look at the credits would reveal was also by Dimps.

Yes, that I meant.
I was under the impression DIMPS only refined the engine of Rush and Osumi and Higashi from Dimps basically managed most of the gameplay and level planning but the Adventure part, the focus on story elements and and overboard production were all handled by Sonic Team's Akinori Nishiyama and Sakae Osumi.
If I'm wrong then ok, Dimps totally dropped the ball. Which seems strange since gameplay and basic level design would've been stil as tight as Rush's.

edited

HUELEN10

NonexistentK said:
so it's old school 16 bit sonic platforming with a hd coat of paint and leaderboards. episodic release part is somewhat of a buzz-killer but it’s still day one for me. a re-invention ala new mario bross wii is what Sonic franchise truly deserves but this doesn’t look (and sound) bad at all.
With all due respect, this does seem kinda NSMBW-like direction they are going for, specially the fact that they are using models and moves from newer titles, while basing itself on it's original gameplay splashed with stuff that's new too. At least, that is the vibe I get. 100 percent classic Sonic this is not, and 100 percent classic Mario is what NSMB/W is not either, and that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Zilch

Banned
RubyEclipse wouldn't seem quite so patronizing! If he/she didn't put really unnecessary exclamation points! At the end of every one of his/her sentences! Boy howdy Sonic sure is fast, huh! Gosh!

Dash Kappei

I don't get it, for me the episodic part is awesome.
All I want it it to be.... perfect :)
If it's going to be competently priced then it would be even better.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
HUELEN10 said:
With all due respect, this does seem kinda NSMBW-like direction they are going for, specially the fact that they are using models and moves from newer titles, while basing itself on it's original gameplay splashed with stuff that's new too. At least, that is the vibe I get. 100 percent classic Sonic this is not, and 100 percent classic Mario is what NSMB/W is not either, and that is not necessarily a bad thing.

But NSMBW didn't try to be Mario 4/5. It was New! right in the title.

Blueblur1

I agree with Huelen
for once
. The background and stage visual design seen in the one screenshot and 3 seconds of footage that's available look as if they were ripped out of NSMBWii but Sonic-ized. I don't agree with the 8-bit tunes though. It's cute but they're never going to emulate that era. Do what NSMB DS and Wii do; bring older tracks into the modern era and introduce new music that fits the Sonic mold.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
MiamiWesker said:
Thank you for that info, hopefully that could put an end to all the whining and complaining about that.

When one object of ire is dealt with, two more take its place.

Sciz

Dash Kappei said:
Yes, that I meant.
I was under the impression DIMPS only refined the engine of Rush and Osumi and Higashi from Dimps basically managed most of the gameplay and level planning but the Adventure part, the focus on story elements and and overboard production were all handled by Sonic Team's Akinori Nishiyama and Sakae Osumi.
If I'm wrong then ok, Dimps totally dropped the ball. Which seems strange since gameplay and basic level design would've been stil as tight as Rush's.
That might be the case, I've just never personally seen anything to suggest the work was divided as such, or that Sonic Team was any more directly involved in the game than they were in the Advance titles and Rush.

A better question than why he can go over the corkscrew at jogging speed is why Sonic uncurls from his spin as soon as he hits the corkscrew. Well that and the whole being stuck to the ground thing ala Sonic Advance right after the cork screw. Is it so hard to give us Sonic physics back?

HUELEN10

MiamiWesker said:
Thank you for that info, hopefully that could put an end to all the whining and complaining about that.
What info? I said that in regard to what Teknoman posted. Nobody knows if the peel-out will be in, I want it though!

I've always liked the rotor-legs more than the peel-out/figure 8 legs. But then that might be because its been so long since the rotor legs.

jman2050 said:
Dreams Come True isn't around anymore, though if you want to be technical the only person who actually worked on Sonic's music was the band lead Masato Nakamura. Getting him back would be awesome, though obviously it isn't meant to be :(

They released an album as recently as 2009 and there's supposed to be a big Masato Nakamura anthology set releasing in Japan sometime eventually.

They're still around. Just, you know, not cheap.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Teknoman said:
This just in:

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=19076&st=2640

Hello everyone!

Have a great weekend,
Ruby
Awesome :lol

Also... This Just In! Apparantly Sonic's eyes being green were a bizarre photoshop error!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been replaying the sonic series on my Droid lately.
What are your guy's favorite sonic stages ever?

I have to say Oil Ocean from Sonic 2.
Mostly because I remember the first day I got to it. I had always gotten to the end of mystic cave only to get raped by the boss until I found that one point where the icicles never fall on you. It also has awesome music! AND that shitty tiget led electronic game had oil ocean as it's background.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Jtwo said:
AND that shitty tiget led electronic game had oil ocean as it's background.

I had that :D

I love most of the zones in Sonic 3... Angel Island Zone, Hydrocity Zone, Ice Cap Zone, Launch Base Zone... The music was great and the colors were bright! I love when the badnik torched the jungle.. or how the first level of Ice Cap is caves and the second outside.

Top Bottom