• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

Ten-Song said:
Another thing it ditched? Sonic the Hedgehog!

True, unfortunately.

However, the most memorable stages were the Sonic stages.

I remember City Escape and the level with the space tubes and shit being the most memorable moments and shit. I remember thinking how awesome that was.

I'm drunk as fuck, GAF, so forgive me if this doesn't make sense.

Teknoman

SuperAngelo64 said:
I know this is going to sound like a total plug, but whatever.

I discovered this guy on YouTube about a week ago. He writes original music inspired by the New Jack/Funk feel of Sonic 3.

Here's a sample of his album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8wUenvca-o&feature=related

It's the first digital album I've ever bought. My favorite is probably "Block Party Zone" (sample at 1:38 of that video).

I would love this kind of sound for Sonic 4. This is the sound of 2D Sonic to me.

Nice stuff, and yeah Chaotix had a good soundtrack.

Alot of that stuff sounds like tracks Snoop Dogg would still make.

Man the 90s had the best chill music ever.

Dogenzaka

Banned
SuperAngelo64 said:
True, unfortunately.

However, the most memorable stages were the Sonic stages.

I remember City Escape and the level with the space tubes and shit being the most memorable moments and shit. I remember thinking how awesome that was.

I'm drunk as fuck, GAF, so forgive me if this doesn't make sense.

I don't think they abandoned Sonic the Hedgehog at all. I just think they added his other friends (but not in a meaningless way, either. They all had their own agendas and you just played them as they bumped into each other).

The final stages as Sonic and Shadow were absolutely amazing. Frustrating as hell when you accidentally jumped off and died, but really, the design was astounding at the time.

And planetary gameplay was the bomb.

And Chao breeding/caretaking/racing was the most addictive thing ever. I never got my Pure Angelic Chao :(

segagamer

Banned
You know what really slammed my hopes? When in an interview a SEGA representative stated that there will be moments in the game when motion controls/6 axis will be used.

I'm hoping that they do not take up the majority of the game and that they're exclusive to the special stages or something. If I find that they gimped the 360 game with stupid motion control adaptation sections and making it intrusive (like the whole warehog thing), then this will be the last Sonic game I get hyped up for.

Rlan

First screenshot:

somari2.gif

Dogenzaka said:
Well excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me but I find Sonic Adventure 2 (Battle, specifically) to be a total and complete step of progress from Sonic Adventure 1. It did everything from variety of gameplay to story-telling in a Sonic game right, in my opinion.

It was also the game that cemented the series as an on-rails, scripted imposter of a game. Don't get me wrong, I thought SA2 was a good game on its own - removed from the name of Sonic (hell I'm pretty sure I still hold the DC score record for City Escape), but a step of progress for the Sonic series is the complete opposite of what it was. It was rubbish as a Sonic game.

Resilient

I really, really, really doubt that tweet, but if it brings truth, I will gouge my eyes out in fury at yet another stupid decision on Sega's behalf.

AniHawk

bluebird said:
I really, really, really doubt that tweet, but if it brings truth, I will gouge my eyes out in fury at yet another stupid decision on Sega's behalf.

Well jeez, it's not like it would be the only version of the game.

Seriously, if Mario is in Sonic 4 and if Sonic is in Galaxy 2, I quit videogames, seriously.

What will be next ?
Donkey Kong in Monkey Ball and Ai Ai in Donkey Kong Country 4 ?

No, crossovers are good, but too much crossovers could kill awesome game franchises.

AniHawk

Akihabara said:
Seriously, if Mario is in Sonic 4 and if Sonic is in Galaxy 2, I quit videogames, seriously.

What will be next ?

No, crossovers are good, but too much crossovers could kill awesome game franchises.

All I've ever wanted from Sega and Nintendo working together was a Mario/Sonic crossover platformer. This wouldn't be exactly what I had in mind, but it's a start.

Ten-Song

Akihabara said:

What will be next ?

Seriously, the last thing Mario games need is a shit series like Sonic dragging it down. I'd feel really bad for Mario if that were the case.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The visuals look weird, as if they're 2D graphics made from pre-rendered 3D (like in DKC and similar games). I really hope this is not true, because I don't find that visual style attractive at all any more. I want real 3D graphics with 2D gameplay.

AniHawk said:
All I've ever wanted from Sega and Nintendo working together was a Mario/Sonic crossover platformer. This wouldn't be exactly what I had in mind, but it's a start.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRrVIAcGAPM
http://www.youtube.com/user/MKFusionTeam

Too bad the game seems to be bloated and uncohesive. It was originally just one guy who was working on it but then he took on a bunch of help and quality control seems to have been thrown out the window. Quantity over quality.

Ten-Song said:
Seriously, the last thing Mario games need is a shit series like Sonic dragging it down. I'd feel really bad for Mario if that were the case.

I'm sure Mario appreciates the sentiment.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Heulen, what'ts the ONE Sonic game I should but DS?
Keep in mind I've only payed the Genesis games.

I'm thinking about just ordering the collection... even though I have like 4 copies of each game.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Ten-Song said:

My inner 11 year old Sonic fanboy wants to rage and tell you to go die in a fire with your shitty, fat plumber.

My 25 year old adult self agrees with your sentiment and wonders why it all went so wrong for Sonic.

HUELEN10

Jtwo said:
Well, you've got 2 good choices to choose from, and those are the 2 Rush games. Both are good, but seeing as how you've only played the genny games, Rush might frustrate you as your first speed-based Sonic due to the bottomless pits and "enemy rooms". On the other hand, Rush Adventure which, solves this problem, might frustrate you due to the pacing and padding. Both are great speed-based games, so "pick your poison."
It's "HUELEN" BTW :p An easy way to get it right is to write "helen" with a "u" after the "h". :3

EDIT: I saw your edit, and NO, it seems that it is possible it ends up being shitty. We need to wait until it comes out to see if it is worth getting based on others' impressions

Ten-Song

Combichristoffersen said:
My inner 11 year old Sonic fanboy wants to rage and tell you to go die in a fire with your shitty, fat plumber.

My 25 year old adult self agrees with your sentiment and wonders why it all went so wrong for Sonic.

Pretty much how I view things as well. Were it that I could go back in time and warn my old Sega fanboy self of what was to come...

RoadHazard said:
The visuals look weird, as if they're 2D graphics made from pre-rendered 3D (like in DKC and similar games). I really hope this is not true, because I don't find that visual style attractive at all any more. I want real 3D graphics with 2D gameplay.

Man, I never liked that method of creating sprites even back when Donkey Kong Country was brand new. I always thought it was ugly, and time has been less than kind to those games too.

Jtwo said:

It's not like you have a lot of options for Sonic on the DS.

There's Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, and Sonic Chronicles.

Sonic Chronicles is a somewhat mediocre RPG and is best left ignored (there are many other much better RPGs on the DS).

Sonic Rush, especially for the uninitiated, can be very challenging. It's full of cheap hits and cheap death, but in the long run, it ends up being a very rewarding game to play once you get good at it. It's just climbing the steep difficulty curve can be a bit frustrating at first.

Sonic Rush Adventure is a much more balanced experience. It's easier to pick up and play, and is nowhere near as difficult as the original Sonic Rush. The game does a much better job of easing you into things and in general. Unfortunately, it's brought down by a bit of padding that may require you to revisit old levels to unlock new ones.

I'm not Huelen by any stretch, but I'd say start with Sonic Rush Adventure and if you're hungry for more, pick up Sonic Rush.

HUELEN10

Ten-Song said:
Combichristoffersen said:

Pretty much how I view things as well. Were it that I could go back in time and warn my old Sega fanboy self of what was to come...

It's things like these that make me sorta glad I didn't play video games as a kid. :lol

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Ten-Song said:

I think I'll play Sonic 2 again tonight, to reminisce of better days, when there were no bills to pay, no work, no taxes, Sega did what Nintendon't and Sonic was still an honourable video game icon :'(

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Enemy rooms? Padding?
WTF?
Just randomly off the top of your head whats the most enjoyable DS game for someone who hasn't played a 3D sonic... but is intimately familiar with the Genesis games.

EDIT: Thanks S91! will take into consideration!

Jtwo said:
Enemy rooms? Padding?
WTF?
Just randomly off the top of your head whats the most enjoyable DS game for someone who hasn't played a 3D sonic... but is intimately familiar with the Genesis games.
Ignore everyone else.

Sonic Rush

Bit of forewarning; the soundtrack if godawful.

HUELEN10

Jtwo said:
Enemy rooms? Padding?
WTF?
You asked for the honest answer, and Sega1991 and I gave it to you. The 2 Rush games were pretty much equally enjoyable to me as a whole, but Rush due to it's awesome speed-based and trick-based emphasis made it the favorite at the end of the day, that and it also boasts one of the best, and most well-written soundtracks in Sonic history, composed by Hideki Naganuma! For a beginner to speed-based Sonic though, Sega1991 brings up some excellent points with his SRA recommendation.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
HUELEN10 said:
but Rush due to it's awesome speed-based and trick-based emphasis made it the favorite at the end of the day, that and it also boasts one of the best soundtracks on Sonic history hands down! For a beginner to speed-based Sonic though, Sega1991 brings up some excellent points.
Rush 1?
Ordering as we speak!

Resilient

AniHawk said:

Think about what you just said. How much fun could you possibly have with a Mario model replacing a Sonic model in a game designed around the mechanics of Sonic the Hedgehog and not Mario?

OMG Aero

Jtwo said:
Enemy rooms? Padding?
WTF?

EDIT: Thanks S91! will take into consideration!
I'm going to say Sonic Rush. I don't know why everyone else likes Rush Adventure, but I hate it. You have to go through terrible dialogue to get to the levels, then you have to do a shitty mini game and when you find new levels you have to backtrack and complete old levels over and over again in order to unlock the bad mini game needed to access the new level.
This is opposed to Sonic Rush where you just select the level you want from a world map and you are in it.

Ten-Song

Jtwo said:
Rush 1?
Ordering as we speak!

I would also just advise to avoid Rush Adventure. Progressing through the game is profoundly annoying, and the soundtrack isn't nearly as great as the first game. It's not even remotely close to the good old days, but the soundtrack alone makes Sonic Rush worth playing.

HUELEN10

Jtwo, regardless of which one you choose, keep in mind that the gameplay is VERY DIFFERENT from the momentum/platform based Sonic you are used to. Don't get discouraged though, just because it is different doesn't mean it is bad.

Incidentally, you will notice that artstyle-wise, the Sonic 4 footage looks a bit like the first zone in Rush! :lol

AniHawk

bluebird said:
Think about what you just said. How much fun could you possibly have with a Mario model replacing a Sonic model in a game designed around the mechanics of Sonic the Hedgehog and not Mario?

Yeah well, I think I was 7 or so when I first started thinking about it. And obviously, it wouldn't be replacing models or anything like that. Of course back in 1993, I thought it was impossible because Sega and Nintendo both had their own systems. Now I think it's impossible because no one would be up to the task. I know people love EAD Tokyo, but those guys barely understood Mario. If there are any Sonic vets, they'd all pretty much have to be ex-Sega by now.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ten-Song said:
This is in a DS game?!?
I can dig it!
Man should have got next day shipping! That's so radical!

EDIT:
Funny Sonic Rush story, the day after christmas I was in a Best Buy trying to figure out what game I should buy on my 25 dollar gift card. Sonic Rush was right next to Bully for 360. I was so close to buying Rush, but I KNEW Bully would be good and didn't know anything about Rush.

Looks like I'll find out soon.

Also: Sonic replay update. Was Scrapbrain zone always this hard? I know I'm playing it on my phone with a terrible D-pad.. but man! This is getting to me!

OMG Aero said:
I'm going to say Sonic Rush. I don't know why everyone else likes Rush Adventure, but I hate it. You have to go through terrible dialogue to get to the levels, then you have to do a shitty mini game and when you find new levels you have to backtrack and complete old levels over and over again in order to unlock the bad mini game needed to access the new level.
This is opposed to Sonic Rush where you just select the level you want from a world map and you are in it.

Every single cutscene in both Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure can be skipped. Truly unskippable dialog is rare. The travel minigames honestly are pretty fun (I thought, anyway) and once you visit an island and can mark it on your map, you can just pop open a menu and select that level without ever touching your waterbike ever again.

Level design in Rush Adventure is also leaps over the original Rush. Moments of "FUCK I just died it wasn't my fault" are somewhat frequent in the original Sonic Rush but are almost non-existent in Rush Adventure. Even for experienced players, there are moments in Sonic Rush that will instantly kill you without warning if you aren't paying attention. Huge Crisis (the aircraft carrier level) has a number of areas that lead you in to the path of a crusher, which will often kill you before you can react to their presence. Rush Adventure doesn't do any of that shit.

Rush Adventure is a more polished, more balanced game overall, and I will reiterate that I derived close to the same amount of enjoyment from it as I did from the Sega Genesis Sonic games.

Sonic Rush was good, but Sonic Rush Adventure was great.

HUELEN10 said:
God, Sonic Rush truly does have an amazing soundtrack. From A New Day's awesome way to start things off, to Raisin' Me Up's amazing gospel vibe, it's a delight to hear. Raisin' Me Up is not only one of my favorite Sonic songs, it's one of my favorite videogame songs period. Buying the soundtrack was so worth it. :3

BTW Jtwo, if you like Sonic 2, you are going to LOVE the special stages! Seriously though, get some good headphones, and enjoy!
Such a cheap version of the S2 special stage :lol sonic's running animation is wrong also, who runs with their feet apart like a robot? The only S2 bonus stage clone which has been good so far is the one from 3D blast saturn.

Jtwo said:

I'm thinking about just ordering the collection... even though I have like 4 copies of each game.

Sonic Advance

Top Bottom