• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Wii/PS3/360; downloadable episodic release - [Update: $15?]

Jin34

SonicMegaDrive said:
If true, this is good news for me ONLY because of how much gnashing of teeth this will cause with the Nintendo fanboys. Smash Bros. was bad enough for them, but THIS is rich.

It's like this post came from an alternate universe because it played out the opposite of what you said.

Alphahawk

So something on the official site just went live, have no idea what though...

Edit: I guess it's the intro, but clicking on the link shows nothing, maybe I'll check back after class...

Ericsc said:
2z726mo.gif

Nintendo ^
otdwlc.gif

Sega ^
:lol That's not right man. It just ain't right.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Aaron Strife said:
Jesus christ if I see one more fuck whining about "noez it's episodic" I'm going to quit video games punch them in the face.

Episode I will be roughly the same length as one of the Genesis games.

If this is true then just make Episode 2 [/I]Sonic 5[/I]. More milking for the same amount of money.

Again, if this is true.

Sega certainly didn't do themselves any favors by making each game in the montage get increasingly faster and faster and FASTER until...he slows down to a crawl for the new game.

Yeah....

Well, IF he does have a faster running animation, they probably should have gone with that in the trailer. It would have prevented thousands of forum complaints, that's for sure.

Teknoman

Sonic 4 site is constantly refreshing.

Also to the last few posts, im sure thats still a result of shoddy trailer making + Imposing actual game footage onto Sonic himself (as show in Sega1991's posts awhile back).
I mean Sonic isnt even bouncing off the badniks so that should tell you something right there.

EDIT: Sonic 4's JP site is so much cleaner... should've been the same for other regions.

Alphahawk said:
So something on the official site just went live, have no idea what though...

Edit: I guess it's the intro, but clicking on the link shows nothing, maybe I'll check back after class...

Link is still blank, but yeah intro section just went live.

goldenpp72

I actually think the episodic wording is fine if each episode is as long as a normal sonic genesis title (an hour or 2), This allows them to milk the same 'world' while still having new games (sonic 3 and knuckles)

Games are expected to be longer nowadays, so we'll see.

ckohler

Ericsc said:
http://i47.tinypic.com/2z726mo.gif
Nintendo ^
http://i50.tinypic.com/otdwlc.gif
Sega ^
The part where sonic is hitting enemies in the trailer looks like something (poorly) hand animated specifically for the trailer and is not representative of what the game animation will look like. You can clearly see the cross desolve to the actual gameplay and that he he isn't moving the same way.

I'll say it again: The part in the trailer where Sonic is bouncing off enemies looks like some bad animation made for the trailer and may not be how he appears in the game.

ckohler said:
The part where sonic is hitting enemies in the trailer looks like something (poorly) hand animated specifically for the trailer and is not representative of what the game animation will look like. You can clearly see the cross desolve to the actual gameplay and that he he isn't moving the same way.

I'll say it again: The part in the trailer where Sonic is bouncing off enemies looks like some bad animation made for the trailer and may not be how he appears in the game.

You're both probably right.

I have faith that in the final version, it'll look much better.

Sonic 4 Website said:
But this humiliating defeat only serves to further Eggman's rage, and he has determined once and for all to rid himself of Sonic. Eggman revisits - and improves - the very best of his creations to defeat our spiked hero.

Man, I really hope they're referring to Metal Sonic!

Andrex said:
That hasn't been confirmed yet. Even still, that makes the episodic titling all the dumber.
Really? Because the guys who leaked this originally (Sonic 4: Episode 1 being the game's title) also made it clear that it'd be a standard Sonic game with seven zones spread out across multiple acts each.

The episodic titling works because that way they can keep building on what is fundamentally the same game, without being accused of rehashing. It's like asking why they didn't call Sonic & Knuckles "Sonic 4" - doing so would be disingenuous because at its core, it's the exact same as Sonic 3.

For those trying to argue about the running animation in the pre-gameplay bit not being "top speed", I am pretty sure you have to be going top speed to get through corkscrews and if not running for that distance with no interruptions would normally result in the top speed animation anyway. So either it aint done yet and in the game, or thats really how shitty it'll be in the final product.

Oh and whats the point of having a website with loads of arbitrary countdowns when they don't unlock shit properly :lol

RagnarokX

SecretBonusPoint said:
For those trying to argue about the running animation in the pre-gameplay bit not being "top speed", I am pretty sure you have to be going top speed to get through corkscrews and if not running for that distance with no interruptions would normally result in the top speed animation anyway. So either it aint done yet and in the game, or thats really how shitty it'll be in the final product.

Oh and whats the point of having a website with loads of arbitrary countdowns when they don't unlock shit properly :lol
Well, if that wasn't top speed, that creates whole other issues :p

Eric C

SecretBonusPoint said:

In Sonic 2 you have to be running full speed to make it across standing up. Once on the corkscrew it changes Sonic's running animation to something very similar to what is seen in the Sonic 4 trailer (corkscrew part). In Sonic 2, after Sonic gets off the corkscrew his legs resume moving at full speed which didn't happen in the Sonic 4 trailer.

ZeoVGM

Banned
riceandbeans said:
That's probably true...

Hooray for Sonic Rush 3 on consoles.

Whether or not it is Sonic Rush 3 depends entirely on the level design.

i.e. Will each level feel like it's floating up in the air (though Rush wasn't as bad with this as the Advance games) above a giant bottomless pit while it forces you through the stage with high speed?

Or will the speed remain close to that of the Genesis games with levels made for exploring and finding secrets?

Now I love Sonic Rush. I put it up there with the Genesis games in terms of quality but it's a different kind of 2D Sonic. It has great level design in its own right but the idea behind it is different.

So I'd love a Sonic Rush 3 but I'm really hoping this plays more like Sonic 3.

ElFly

omg rite said:
Whether or not it is Sonic Rush 3 depends entirely on the level design.

i.e. Will each level feel like it's floating up in the air (though Rush wasn't as bad with this as the Advance games) above a giant bottomless pit while it forces you through the stage with high speed?

Or will the speed remain close to that of the Genesis games with levels made for exploring and finding secrets?

Now I love Sonic Rush. I put it up there with the Genesis games in terms of quality but it's a different kind of 2D Sonic. It has great level design in its own right but the idea behind it is different.

So I'd love a Sonic Rush 3 but I'm really hoping this plays more like Sonic 3.

Yeah, the old Sonic games were platforming games first. The speed angle was used for two things:

-Padding the game/showing off.
-Jumping into high platforms.

Rush is weird, cause it forces you to go at high speed at most times, then traps you in a room where you have to fight X enemies of Y kind. Dunno if they removed the enemy trap rooms in Rush Adventure, but they were really annoying.

Sciz

ElFly said:
Dunno if they removed the enemy trap rooms in Rush Adventure, but they were really annoying.
They did, along with most of the bottomless pits. Two of the primary reasons why it's the better game despite the padding.

Jin34

You said Nintendo fans reacted negatively to Sonic being in Smash Bros and the reaction was positive. Sure its Gaf I'm sure a small # of people were "wah, wah should be Nintendo chars only".

Jin34 said:
You said Nintendo fans reacted negatively to Sonic being in Smash Bros and the reaction was positive. Sure its Gaf I'm sure a small # of people were "wah, wah should be Nintendo chars only".

Oh, :lol

No, I remember when it was first unveiled.

The meltdowns were legendary.

Of course there were a lot of happy people, too. But the ones who weren't, Hooooo boy :lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
I know Sonic is the only playable character but I hope there's an option to let Tails follow you around. Whether it's co-op play or CPU-controlled, it provides too much hilarity.

Firestorm

Kilrogg said:
Agreed. Also, the whole "Episode" thing makes me think that the emphasis will be put on the storyline, which I think we can all agree here is completely unnecessary for freakin' Sonic 4. I'm not saying they'll definitely do that, but that's what comes to my mind when I read "episode". When I think about episodic content, I think Telltale Games, in which, sure enough, the story matters. Not in Sonic.
Yeah, Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles had too large a focus on story.

Ten-Song

RagnarokX said:
Oooooor they're refering to the fact that all of the badniks are from previous games.

I was about to think of some comment decrying that this is likely true and Sega won't come up with any new enemy designs for this game... but then I remember how boring and stupid enemies have been in Sonic games for this past generation, and really, using nothing but old 16bit badniks is a giant step up in quality.

OMG Aero

ckohler said:

Wait, there are people that think the part of the trailer with the new graphics on the black background is game animation?
It's clearly obvious they just took animated gifs from the games and hand animated them poorly.

Alphahawk

Teknoman said:
Either that or...

Ghzboss.png

EGG-HVC-D01.png

Oozboss.png

Cnzboss.png

Do hope Mecha or Metal returns. Really just any upgraded robot Sonic.

IGN wrote an article where they speculated that the entirety of Sonic 4's bosses were gonna be revamped older bosses. Which is a horrible idea btw.

Top Bottom